Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Classical Music

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Classical Music

Been listening to a LOT of Classical music lately.
    I've been into Beethoven, symphonies (all 9) and piano sonatas.

That is now, but I listen to Bach, Haydn, Rachmaninov, Mozart, Wagner, Ligetti, etc, etc, etc.you name it I can go on and on.
    So much excellent music.

Wondering what you guys like.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A lot of people hate him but for me, nigel kennedy performing 4 seasons on the a la citadelle dvd is definitive, exhilarating

Considered a bit of a show off piece but I love this & hope to be able to play it someday

One of my all time favourites is a polish contemporary composer - gorecki. Gorecki's 2nd is not for the faint of heart, this is a fairly easy going part

The bbc's 21st century bach was great - even if you don't like bach, the locations and camerawork are stunning (cameras actually inside the organ in some cases). And of course masterful performances

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is so great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm at stage 2 atm. Planning on getting the wife an "intro to classical music" comp for christmas. Any opinions on this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-Z-Classical...773975&sr=1-10

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I'm at stage 2 atm. Planning on getting the wife an "intro to classical music" comp for christmas. Any opinions on this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-Z-Classical...773975&sr=1-10
    Settled for this but haven't formed an opinion yet.

Shamelessly the classical I like the most is stuff I'm familiar with from films, games, etc., such as (you can play guess the source if you wish. Each paragraph from a different source)

The Thieving Magpie (Deutsch Grammophon)
    Beethoven's 9th, second movement (Deutsch Grammophon)
    William Tell Overture
    Pomp and Circumstance March no. 1

In the hall of the mountain king
    Blue danube waltz
    Ride of the valkyries

Also Sprach Zarathustra

When Johnny Comes Marching Home (ok, not classical music.)

Pachelbel's Canon
    Dance of the four little swans
    Dance of the reed flutes
    Rondo Alla Turca
    (no doubt many more I can't recall)

I'll provide some links to decent renderings of each after folks have had a chance to guess the sources (or not, if nobody cares )

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I pretty much ONLY listen to classical, now. Mostly to the classical stations on Sirius XM (in our cars, at home, and on the boat). My husband has a huge classical CD collection that I raid. And we have been CSO subscribers for over 10 years. Other than my true love, Chopin, I can't say I have any "favorites." Classical is mood music; sometimes you're in the mood for Bartok, sometimes you're in the mood for Stravinsky; it's all good.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-21-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh, and I'm at Stage 7.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Is it cool if i post Opera?

One of my faves:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Took a cab home from work. Don't know what was on his radio but it may have been Tchaikovsky. Much approval.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I love to listen to this when I paint. Pure badass.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I've listened to classical music over the years but I haven't payed attention to who created or conducted the music (something I lament when I have the urge to listen to something specific but can't).
    My favorite pieces so far are: Chopin Music for Piano and Violoncello, and Claude Debussy La mer & Children's corner suite.
    Can anyone recommend to me pieces/movements/suites along those lines?
    Last edited by ziltoid; 02-27-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Still amazes me how the piano can represent the bubbles and the strings can represent the fish.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Still amazes me how the piano can represent the bubbles and the strings can represent the fish.
    Whenever I hear that piece, I think of Days of Heaven. It's one of the best pieces ever made.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Holly thread bumping, Batman!

But I someone stumbled on this while searching for something else, go figure.

For the best part of a decade (and more) you could hear Pachelbel's Canon in everything, everywhere; to the point of getting fed up with it. But I was first chair clarinet for 8 years, a long time ago and I've played it. I've bought a clarinet in the 80s and when I get it out it's one of the melodies I still play, by ear. Sheet music is copyrighted and I still can read it but I don't have any so all I play now is by ear.

Listening to this reminded me how absolutely gorgeous this piece is. So perfect.

I miss playing so much.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was first chair percussion from 7-10th grade. 11th grade I was smoking too much pot LOL.

But I’ve started studying percussion rudiments, again. It’s amazing all the stuff you can do via YouTube and Instagram.

I have a ukulele and I’m going to start learning to play that again now that my basement project is finished. Again, via YouTube.

My husband was enlisted to play Pachelbel’s Canon in D on acoustic guitar for a friend’s daughter’s wedding, as the music for when the bride walked down the aisle. Lotsa pressure, LOL. It’s a wedding favorite, though.

My favorite piece that’s also associated with weddings is DeBussy’s Claire de Lune, performed below by my favorite pianist:

Last edited by allegro; 09-04-2021 at 10:14 PM.