Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Ghosts album cover - why it looks how it looks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Ghosts album cover - why it looks how it looks?

Hi, I would need your help with stuff about Ghosts album cover because of one part of school work.
    I tried to look for some information on ninwiki, but I found just who made it, etc. But nothing about why is this actualy cover of that album and why it looks how it looks.

Thank you for help.
    Last edited by karmachiale; 09-19-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As you probably saw the GHOSTS photography is by Rob Sheridan and Phillip Graybill, but I'm not sure who took the front cover. Don't have it on me atm.

I've always considered it as fairly inspired by Hiroshi Sugimoto. Like a Death Valley version of Sugimoto's Seascapes.

hiroshi sugimoto seascapes

It's just a speculation, I haven't read Sheridan or Grayhill mentioning specific inspirations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    As you probably saw the GHOSTS photography is by Rob Sheridan and Phillip Graybill, but I'm not sure who took the front cover. Don't have it on me atm.

I've always considered it as fairly inspired by Hiroshi Sugimoto. Like a Death Valley version of Sugimoto's Seascapes.

hiroshi sugimoto seascapes

It's just a speculation, I haven't read Sheridan or Grayhill mentioning specific inspirations.
    Oh, yes, I wrote it wrong with photos, sorry...
    I was just kind of thinking how it colaborates with Ghosts music but I understand that it's still kind of subjective thing for everyone.
    Thank you very much for link!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's the Wiki - http://www.nin.wiki/The_Photography_...s_I%E2%80%93IV

External links near the bottom.

edit - oh wait, you said you looked at the Wiki, my bad!
    Last edited by d1stinct; 09-19-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    Here's the Wiki - http://www.nin.wiki/The_Photography_...s_I%E2%80%93IV

External links near the bottom.

edit - oh wait, you said you looked at the Wiki, my bad!
    Well, thank you anyway.
    Cause I just found what I was looking for.
    I somehow skipped first link and the next ones didn't load to me so I gave up before I could try everyone.
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karmachiale View Post
    Hi, I would need your help with stuff about Ghosts album cover because of one part of school work.
    I tried to look for some information on ninwiki, but I found just who made it, etc. But nothing about why is this actualy cover of that album and why it looks how it looks.
    I thought it was obvious, it's the sheet of a ghost laying down in b&w. Mystery solved. Hope I wasn't too late.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    It's a black and white photo of a sand dune upside down isn't it? That's what I always assumed

And therefore, shot by Graybill most likely, edited by Sheridan

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    For some reason, I never even thought that the original image was probably a photo. It's so heavily edited that it always just seemed like something abstract whipped up in Photoshop or something of that nature. I've always liked the simplicity and striking nature of it, though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It's a black and white photo of a sand dune upside down isn't it? That's what I always assumed

And therefore, shot by Graybill most likely, edited by Sheridan
    I think you're right about the original photo being Graybill's (on an old version of his site, there used to be a NIN230 that was more clearly the cover), but it's probably still right-side up.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    I think you're right about the original photo being Graybill's (on an old version of his site, there used to be a NIN230 that was more clearly the cover), but it's probably still right-side up.
    It's a damm fine photograph

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I don't think it's upside-down at all. Looking at the full photo on Graybill's website, some small plants/blades of grass are clearly visible in the white section.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    For some reason, I never even thought that the original image was probably a photo. It's so heavily edited that it always just seemed like something abstract whipped up in Photoshop or something of that nature. I've always liked the simplicity and striking nature of it, though.
    Exactly, I thought it is something abstract. I found out later what it is. I was just curious, If there is any concept / story why this is a cover of the album.