Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cyber Security

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    hahahaha

Equifax just lost 173million identities. Thats HALF the fucking US population. HAAAALLLFFFFF

Name, DOB, credit card numbers, SSNs, Drivers licenses, etc

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/cred...consumers.html

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Oh, and they are offering the Equifax security monitoring service for anyone who was impacted by this. Jesus christ go fuck yourselves equifax.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    hahahaha

Equifax just lost 173million identities. Thats HALF the fucking US population. HAAAALLLFFFFF

FUCK ME!!! That's horrible, goddamit I'm most likely one of the people that will be affected by this shit.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    I am SO FUCKING HAPPY that we are all using SSN's as a national ID. Never mind the fact that I probably won't collect a penny of Social Security... but I have to still carry that bullshit number around for my entire life. All because of some poorly constructed govt program that rode the slippery slope all the way to the bottom. A national ID would have constitutional issues? Oh... well we will all just sort of *voluntarily* start using this random that makes no sense to use as a form of ID. Nevermind the fact that the SSN card itself used to have a nice big "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION" right on it... well up until 1972 because thats how the slippery slope works.

Why don't we just dismantle Social Security and be done with all this shit? I'm sure that won't ever be the popular solution though. Everyone will just want a national ID and some president will push it through with an Executive Order. Because fuck the constitution guys!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    hahahaha

I'm so fucking pissed off at this, I could scream. This isn't the first time they've been hit, either.

I already have a credit freeze at all the credit reporting agencies because my data was hacked during the OPM Fed hack, but now these assholes can't securely maintain data, either?

I've been really pissed about EVERYBODY ... the fucking cable company, the electric company, EVERYBODY ... using our Soc number, it's BULLSHIT. There should be a separate credit number that can be easily changed if necessary, TOTALLY SEPARATE from the SS Number. The Government should issue A NEW SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO EVERYONE and force creditors to use a separate credit number.

Now these hackers STEAL YOUR TAX REFUND by using your stolen data to file an early tax return and steal your money.

And if your identity is stolen and you need a new SSN, you start with NO credit history.

We need Social Security but a whole new system must be started.

This is just FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    FUCK ME!!! That's horrible, goddamit I'm most likely one of the people that will be affected by this shit.
    EVERYBODY has a chance of being affected. This happened MONTHS ago and we are just now finding out. And those "credit monitoring" services ARE FOR SHIT because they alert you when YOUR DATA HAS ALREADY BEEN STOLEN and you're already fucked. The people affected probably won't get this "email notice" for months.

Lock up (freeze) your credit file with all three agencies, is the safest route. It costs about $10 per agency (free in some states) and you can temporarily unfreeze it if you're taking out a loan or something. It won't prevent a thief from using your existing accounts or from stealing your tax refund.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-07-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Their site is still embarrassingly open and broken. I won't post details here because *legal reasons*. But people are having fun turning things inside out.

Separately, they just took down the site used to contest credit reports. I'm guessing they are finally fixing the hole that was reported back in march.

Also, they have multiple domains setup for people to check if they were impacted. They look like phishing sites. And then you enter your info and it either says "probably not" or "hrmm... come back in X days and I can give you info about that request". Fuck these assholes.

3 senior execs sold $1.8mil in stock 3 days after the breach was detected.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...ing-cyber-hack

Fuck them.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    EVERYBODY has a chance of being affected. This happened MONTHS ago and we are just now finding out. And those "credit monitoring" services ARE FOR SHIT because they alert you when YOUR DATA HAS ALREADY BEEN STOLEN and you're already fucked. The people affected probably won't get this "email notice" for months.

Lock up (freeze) your credit file with all three agencies, is the safest route. It costs about $10 per agency (free in some states) and you can temporarily unfreeze it if you're taking out a loan or something. It won't prevent a thief from using your existing accounts or from stealing your tax refund.
    The fucked up thing is that I applied for a credit card today and I found out literally about this minutes after.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    The fucked up thing is that I applied for a credit card today and I found out literally about this minutes after.
    The break happened back in July so ...

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)

Freezes are some of the best action you can take in the age of your info always being leaked. You may find value in blocking electronic access to your SSN: https://secure.ssa.gov/acu/IPS_INTR/blockaccess

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    These fuckers. The Government needs to hand them a fine SO PUNITIVE it'll bankrupt them.

We can't even keep them from having the data, they have all of it against our will. We should be able to opt out from these ASSHOLES.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Freezes are some of the best action you can take in the age of your info always being leaked. You may find value in blocking electronic access to your SSN: https://secure.ssa.gov/acu/IPS_INTR/blockaccess
    OH MY GOD awesome THANK YOU!! DOING THAT NOW!!!!!

Edit: Done. I guess this means I can't log into SS to check future benefits status but I just did that a few weeks ago and I won't need it for several years, blocking more important.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-07-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Hahahaha. OpenDNS just blocked one of their domains as a phishing site. It was so fucked up looking that even the experts thought it was a phishing site. I'm laughing so hard I can't breath. I have never seen a company handle a security issue this horribly. If they don't get severely harmed, nothing will fix this shit besides Project Mayhem.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Last night we figured out who their Incident Response team is. Like everyone, we were like "Equifax? more like equihax amirite?" And then tried to register equihax.com. Turns out someone registered it 3 days before the news broke. The owner is someone who started working at FireEye (Mandiant) this year in their IR team. lmao

Ah well Equifax stock is down 15-20%. I guess that's a very mild start :/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    3 senior execs sold $1.8mil in stock 3 days after the breach was detected.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...ing-cyber-hack
    I think this got lost in the middle of your post.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Does this breach affect me if I never came in contact with equifax? I opened a card back in march, but it was through a bank.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Depends on what was actually leaked. Equifax isn't giving sufficient info about what happened.
    For the most part, you have no choice. The credit agencies have all your info by default. So yeah, you may very well be impacted.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    seems to be some discussion on if the info they are providing is true: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/...dumpster-fire/
    -Louie

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Debating how much lower to let their stock drop before buying. It's one of the largest financial institutions in this country...you can't expect me to believe that the stock won't eventually be right back up to where it was a few weeks ago.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    as much as I want to pour gasoline on the fire to damage equifax, nobody with any legal background agrees with that interpretation.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    it's being challenged my understanding was part of the terms of service for checking to see if your your account was breached was that you can not be part of a class action, everything about this is shady, from the numbers when it happened it could also be "solar flares"
    -Louie

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Equifax's Argentinian employee portal was a nice pile of trash until yesterday. Now it's offline.

You could get in with admin/admin. From there you could see all employee user/pass. All their passwords were the same as their username. You could also look up every complaint and dispute by Argentinians. Looots of DNIs (Argentinian SSN equivalent).

Who would have thought that Project Mayhem would have been run entirely on the negligence of the machine itself.

Maybe we will wake up next week and learn that this was just an elaborate promo for Mr Robot season 3.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalchaos View Post
    you could get in with admin/admin.
    lol
    omg
    wtf
    lmao
    smdh

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    U.S. bans use of Kaspersky software in federal agencies amid concerns of Russian espionage

Well then.

(Also, that's a link - not sure why it didn't format to blue)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    U.S. bans use of Kaspersky software in federal agencies amid concerns of Russian espionage

(Also, that's a link - not sure why it didn't format to blue)
    I've found if you copy/paste formatted text, the pasted text retains the formatting.

A quick paste in Notepad & recopy will strip the formatting.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    lol
    omg
    wtf
    lmao
    smdh
    That's basically what it feels like most every day now. Some asshole will come out and tell the world that it was a "sophisticated attacker" and maybe even throw in "nation state" if they can. Since they pulled in mandiant/fireeye they will probably get a "china did it" report too. Shit just kills me.

And honestly, this level of simplicity is really what 95% of hacking is these days. Try the default passwords and see if that really old exploit (that has been patched forever) works. Add in some phishing to get people to just straight up let you in.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    jesus christ.

Equifax has been sending customers straight into a hacker’s trap for weeks
    http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/equi...rap-for-weeks/

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    insuring there is no shortage of stupidity in America, i saw a commercial, that said , "we scan the dark web to protect your" identity"
    “Scan the dark web” - lol wut

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    jesus christ.

Equifax has been sending customers straight into a hacker’s trap for weeks
    http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/equi...rap-for-weeks/
    I fucking hate clickbait headlines. "A hacker's trap"? Please. It was a white hat hacker (the good guys) making a point that they're being absolutely idiotic with their handling of the situation, and his own fake site takes you to the right place. You and I are smart enough to know that, but 95% of people out there see a headline like that and think "oh shit, we just got hacked again" and click on the article in a panic.