Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Going, trying to figure out if I am going with my wife or mom now. I think I would rather go with Mom, lol. Took the wife to Dallas last time she is sick of seeing them. I bought 3 day tickets but will probably waste or try to sell the other days, hotel cost for 4 nights is why I hate festivals.
    Last edited by bryan_NIN65; 05-12-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I'm already wanting to do a meetup with everyone from here that is going. We can hit up a bar or something before/after the show?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    finally a thread for this show, i just reserved my rental car for this today too.

im down for a meetup for sure. ets smokeout!

any idea when single day passes go onsale? how close to the show have they done it in the past?

edit: ministry is playing friday too, correct?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    For informational purposes:

Riot Fest is now held at Douglas Park in Chicago's North Lawndale neighborhood.

It used to be held at Humboldt Park in Chicago's West Town neighborhood.

Neither are what people are used to with Lollapalooza in Grant Park; Grant Park is downtown (Chicago's "Loop" neighborhood) with many hotels and restaurants and tourist attractions nearby. North Lawndale is not any of those things.

See this regarding North Lawndale.

And this.

Stats here.

I'm not saying be afraid: Just, use street smarts and be careful.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-13-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

Yeah, husband and I will be going again this year, went last year... Highly suggest just grabbing an Uber to get there. They dropped us right near the entrance gates all 3 days, no problem.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Yeah, husband and I will be going again this year, went last year... Highly suggest just grabbing an Uber to get there. They dropped us right near the entrance gates all 3 days, no problem.
    Good idea.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

It used to be held at Humboldt Park in Chicago's West Town neighborhood.

Neither are what people are used to with Lollapalooza in Grant Park; Grant Park is downtown (Chicago's "Loop" neighborhood) with many hotels and restaurants and tourist attractions nearby. North Lawndale is not any of those things.

See this regarding North Lawndale.

And this.

Stats here.

Hmm, as I was reading these articles I almost second guessed wanting to go here, Chicago basically being the murder capital of the USA and all.
    Until I remembered I used to live in Winnipeg, basically the murder capital of Canada. It's basically been deemed "Canada's Chicago"

I think I can handle it.

Winnipeg? Murder capital you say?

Yep. Local t-shirt shop even capitalized on the hype and made Hoody's and t-shirts lol

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1021250/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm from Detroit, we have shirts that say "Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten."

Anyway, Chicago is not the murder capital of the U.S.; and only certain Chicago neighborhoods have all those gang-related murders and the violence and crime (Chicago is a city of many neighborhoods); one of the neighborhoods on our nightly news all the time is North Lawndale.

Comparing to Winnipeg with a murder rate of 2.5 per 100,000 -- in 2017, Chicago's was 27.9 killings per 100,000 residents, half that of St. Louis with 59.3 homicides per 100,000 people.

Homicides per 100,000 people:

Anyway, the point is: The fest isn't in an area full of bars and restaurants; I would never even dream of parking my car there. Uber it or cab it, then stay on the festival grounds, don't wander around, do meet-ups in a better area. Then everything should be just fine.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-14-2017 at 02:11 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Comparing to Winnipeg with a murder rate of 2.5 per 100,000 -- in 2017, Chicago's was 27.9 killings per 100,000 residents, half that of St. Louis with 59.3 homicides per 100,000 people.
    Holy smokes. These are some INCREDIBLE stats! These stats make Canadian homicide stats a joke. 59.3 is insane!!

Back on topic:

Do you think it's safe to tell boarder guards when flying into the US you are attending a music festival called "Riot fest" when entering their country lol?
    If I end up attending this show, I probably want to avoid using the word "riot" when trying to cross the boarder.

I should probably just stick to saying "Going to see Nine Inch Nails" hopefully they don't question anymore than that. Am I being over-paranoid even thinking of this?
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-14-2017 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think you're onto something. Just say you're seeing Nine Inch Nails.

Hey, it's not a lie.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-14-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Moved our trip to Curacao around a bit, so I'll be there Friday with the missus now. Doubt I'll go the rest of the weekend unless some seriously dope shit is happening one of the other days.

Finally going to eat here on this trip:

https://kumascorner.com/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    edit: ministry is playing friday too, correct?
    Yep, Sin confirned it on Facebook

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Would be nice to finally catch some Ministry. Play the hits Al, play the hits.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Would be nice to finally catch some Ministry. Play the hits Al, play the hits.
    The last Wacken set was over half old stuff.

edit: hoping tr will do vox on SUPERNAUT. regardless, 17 year old me is freaking out over the prospect of seeing my 2 favorite bands a on the same day. hell 34 year old me is too!
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 05-14-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Is anyone that is not from Chicago and thinking of going to this show going to base it on the setlist for FYF or would you rather just take the gamble and NOT look at the setlist before hand.

There are nearly 6 weeks in between shows, it'll be hard to not look at the setlist from either FYF or Panorama for that long, but at the same time, if attending one of these shows, the surprise element is always nice as well.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Is anyone that is not from Chicago and thinking of going to this show going to base it on the setlist for FYF or would you rather just take the gamble and NOT look at the setlist before hand.

There are nearly 6 weeks in between shows, it'll be hard to not look at the setlist from either FYF or Panorama for that long, but at the same time, if attending one of these shows, the surprise element is always nice as well.
    Im taking a gamble to see what the lighting and set list is like, and possibly if it goes overboard on the political side (I personally don't think it will go "overboard") in that order. I'm also on the fence since it's a festival and can't stand the festival crowds.

If it was in a proper venue I wouldn't even think twice about buying tickets. According to the internet Riot Fest allows about 50,000/day in attendance so getting tickets shouldn't be an issue at all. Also helps that I'm less than an hour and a half drive from it, not including traffic.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I always look at setlists, and plan on it again this time. I wont listen to live audio though, that way the new EP stuff/ new arrangements, etc sound fresh.

Rollinger, I'd love it as much as you, but I severely doubt Trent & Al will be doing Supernaut. Trent can't sing like that anymore, and doing that track out of the blue would require a decent amount of rehearsing that it doesn't seem likely either party will be able to do together prior.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    when does normally start the single day sale? thnx

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    ditto

edit: i made reservations in Elgin yesterday, this IS fuckin happening
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 05-21-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ditto

edit: i made reservations in Elgin yesterday, this IS fuckin happening
    No one really knows, someone earlier in this thread just said "closer to the festival dates".

I wouldnt sweat trying to secure tickets as it looks like this festival holds ~50,000 people per day.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Well, last year the single-day & two-day passes went on sale on June 28th, but RiotFest was also almost two weeks earlier in September, so you can probably just assume (though they're the only ones that know for sure, of course) that they'll go on sale in early July, if that helps.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Well, last year the single-day & two-day passes went on sale on June 28th, but RiotFest was also almost two weeks earlier in September, so you can probably just assume (though they're the only ones that know for sure, of course) that they'll go on sale in early July, if that helps.
    Well, I hope that around that date we know more about the tour strategy. So I can make a choice.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    what did the single day passes run last year, cost wise?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    what did the single day passes run last year, cost wise?

I've never gone before, so I don't know for sure, but a quick Google search found a Groupon deal where they were $70 each.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Eh? Last year Riot Fest was Sept 16/17/18. This year it's Sept 15/16/17. Call me crazy, but that seems to be the same weekend? I would wager the single day tickets go on sale around the very same time as they did last year, and everyone should stop worrying about it. There'll be plenty of notice about it, and there will be plenty of tickets!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Eh? Last year Riot Fest was Sept 16/17/18. This year it's Sept 15/16/17. Call me crazy, but that seems to be the same weekend? I would wager the single day tickets go on sale around the very same time as they did last year, and everyone should stop worrying about it. There'll be plenty of notice about it, and there will be plenty of tickets!

Sorry, I was thinking of the DENVER RiotFest, which was September 2-4 (I had a few friends go to that one).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I've never gone before, so I don't know for sure, but a quick Google search found a Groupon deal where they were $70 each.
    LOL

Decided to google it, shows single day tickets were $92.37 and "up to 19% off" on Groupon back in 2015, depending on what day it was for. So expect around $100.00 for single days which lines up with similar festivals of this size.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    At The Drive In is the only band that was announced today that I would be interested in seeing, with that being said, im sure there won't be an issue with getting tickets. I still wanna know when they go on sale though...

When do they usually announce set times?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    At The Drive In is the only band that was announced today that I would be interested in seeing, with that being said, im sure there won't be an issue with getting tickets. I still wanna know when they go on sale though...

When do they usually announce set times?
    It makes me laugh that I am from El Paso, and this will still be the first time I'll get to see At The Drive In live. They've only played a couple of hometown shows, and I always manage to miss them. Have to go all the way to Chicago just to accomplish it...

Like most festivals, they don't normally announce set times until about 2 weeks prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk