Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I still can't get over that McKeough died last year at 42 of a stroke; he of course co-founded Riot Fest and he owned the Cobra Lounge.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    My wife and I will be here after spending a week in Chicago and I can't fucking wait. <3

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Part two of the series I posted yesterday:
    http://www.altpress.com/features/ent...park_interview

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    LESS THAN a week to go!

Who's down for a meet? Now is the the time to get serious aboot this. Thinking Thursday night and/or post show Friday. Who is in the area? We could use some help.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-11-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: cant spell

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm down to meet. Will be in town starting the 13th.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I would like meeting you guys at RF for sure. I couldn't do much before as I'm working up until Friday.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    its not too late!

this is gonna be EPIC

MINISTRY/NIN FTW
    I plan to just wait for the 90 minutes between them at the Riot Stage, jockeying for position.
    this is an evening for wearing an adult Depends diaper so I don't have to lose my place!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_NIN65 View Post
    Well I gambled on the Tobacco show and already kinda regret it. I feel NIN has to do some kinda warm up show right?
    Or one over the weekend.

what will you guys be monitoring?
    i think Webster Hall was announced on Trent's twitter and to the email list for those registered on nin.com.

am I correct? Anything else to monitor in addition?

how were Webster hall tickets bought? Ticketmaster/Live Nation at a specific time? Or via a link?

thanks in advance for your help. I can't wait for the show and I'd do most anything to see them in a small venue.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Heads up to anyone who has never attended a riot fest: It ALWAYS rains. and when it rains it gets MUDDY. wear shoes you don't mind getting ruined. Cellphone service also sucks, too!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    After sitting through a hurricane my power is back on and my flight says on schedule for Thursday morning, so nothing should be stopping me from this!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    After sitting through a hurricane my power is back on and my flight says on schedule for Thursday morning, so nothing should be stopping me from this!
    nothing can stop you now, 'cause irma don't care?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    For those who have been to Riot before, how hard should it be to get to the rail? The only morning set I'm committed to seeing is Saul -- should I have a good shot after him to still get there, or should I consider skipping out?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    Heads up to anyone who has never attended a riot fest: It ALWAYS rains. and when it rains it gets MUDDY. wear shoes you don't mind getting ruined. Cellphone service also sucks, too!
    It didn't rain on us at all last year, and I went all three days. But I think we just got very lucky with the weather. Right now the forecast says Sunday will be rainy, but the other two days should be good... fingers crossed! Either way, I'm bringing ponchos.

For those who have been to Riot before, how hard should it be to get to the rail? The only morning set I'm committed to seeing is Saul -- should I have a good shot after him to still get there, or should I consider skipping out?
    I was debating the same thing today. I think I'm going to skip Saul altogether and go straight for the rail as soon as we get there. I think it's a very well-attended festival, and there will be lots of other diehards that get there early for the same reason.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    It didn't rain on us at all last year, and I went all three days. But I think we just got very lucky with the weather. Right now the forecast says Sunday will be rainy, but the other two days should be good... fingers crossed! Either way, I'm bringing ponchos.

I was debating the same thing today. I think I'm going to skip Saul altogether and go straight for the rail as soon as we get there. I think it's a very well-attended festival, and there will be lots of other diehards that get there early for the same reason.
    You're right. Last year was a plesant suprise. I'm not holding my breath for a repeat though.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    We've been in a pretty bad drought here in Chicago for a while. My grass is dead. I spent 30 minutes tonight watering my trees. Sunday has a 30% chance of thunderstorms in the morning per Tom Skilling, our WGN weather God. No true forecast until 48 hours prior.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-12-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Are people seriously going to wait at the Riot stage (the stage where NIN plays) beginning as early as right after Saul?? I was thinking of watching Ministry and then maybe checking out New Order for a while at the Roots stage and then coming back like a half an hour before NIN takes the stage. Should I just camp out there the whole time between Ministry and NIN to ensure a good spot? I don't really care about being ON THE RAIL, I just want to get fairly close and have a good spot in the middle (not off to the side). Thoughts?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Are people seriously going to wait at the Riot stage (the stage where NIN plays) beginning as early as right after Saul?? I was thinking of watching Ministry and then maybe checking out New Order for a while at the Roots stage and then coming back like a half an hour before NIN takes the stage. Should I just camp out there the whole time between Ministry and NIN to ensure a good spot? I don't really care about being ON THE RAIL, I just want to get fairly close and have a good spot in the middle (not off to the side). Thoughts?
    Yes, I am. I would like to be on the rail for this, if I can, but it won't kill me not to be. But to get a "good spot in the middle", I would not wait until 30 minutes before NIN set starts to try to find a good place... At the very least, I would recommend being in front of the Riot stage right after Ministry finishes there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm expecting overlap between Ministry and NIN fans on the rail which is going to make getting a spot far more challenging later in the day -- a lot of people planted for one will stick for the other. There were people camped out early in the day at Panorama and that was a far smaller crowd and festival. I got to the rail after being in GA for four acts and chatted and then bribed my way to the very front two acts before NIN, and no one was budging/leaving their post by then, so I can only imagine Riot will have far more hardcore fans and diehards.

I'm all for some of us as a group getting spots together as well -- it can be a lot easier keeping from being pushed off when you're around friends.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Good question. Where are the good record shops? I see a handful on west 18th st.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Something tells me you Chicago heads may want to cancel any appointments tomorrow...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

I wonder if this is a hint at a record store live appearance? I hope it doesn't happen during the early part of the day while I'm on my way to Chicago.
    Last edited by somewhat_; 09-13-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Any word on if a stream is happening?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Anyone think they're rehearsing? I'd guess UIC Pavilion if it's a full production rehearsal.
    but maybe they've figured that part time it.
    maybe there will be something special tomorrow night!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks. I read they toured with Nirvana on the In Utero tour, and sure enough I saw them with mudhoney, bobcat goldwaith, and Nirvana at the Aragon Ballroom.
    I'll check them out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Good question. Where are the good record shops? I see a handful on west 18th st.
    https://www.timeout.com/chicago/shop...res-in-chicago

could there possibly be a record store performance? I think Reckless is the big daddy with room to pull it off. See the link above.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    IMPORTANT!

i talked to Reckless Records on Broadway. I asked him directly if NIN was coming tomorrow. He said the best he can tell me is to listen to Q101 tomorrow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericy210 View Post
    IMPORTANT!

i talked to Reckless Records on Broadway. I asked him directly if NIN was coming tomorrow. He said the best he can tell me is to listen to Q101 tomorrow.
    Looking at their website it seems that a lot of the events happen at the wicker park location.

if only there was a way to be in three places at once.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    If they're planning something similar to what they did in NYC...Metro, Vic, and Aragon are open Thursday according to their respective calendars

One other thing of note: Concord Music Hall is hosting a series of after shows but Saturday is curiously open.