Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Star Wars: The Movies (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Disney should just stop. Haven't they done enough to destroy this franchise? Just stick to the tv shows. The main SW storyline has been obliterated by The Rise of Skywalker. There's nowhere good to go from there.
    Rogue One was fucking incredible.
    The Force Awakens was badass, and if JJ had done all 3, I think the new trilogy would have been unreal
    And people slept on Solo. It was pretty dope.

Perhaps Episode 10 (we all know it's episode 10, though they won't call it that), will be a chance for redemption.

I don't understand people blaming Disney. There are like, what, six extant media companies, now?
    "Disney" is creating hardcore horror movies, if you follow it back to the parent company.

Doesn't Disney make all those movies about the dudes with the underwear on the outside of their pants, that everyone likes but me?
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-10-2023 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Disagree with pretty much everything you're saying there @elevenism. I thought Force Awakens was passable at best, The Last Jedi was ok, and Rise of Skywalker was absolute trash. They've redeemed themselves somewhat w/ the Obi Wan tv show and Mandalorian. I really think they should just leave the movies alone. The Rise of Skywalker makes The Phantom Menace look like The Godfather.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I enjoyed The Force Awakens. It wasn't amazing, but it was a very good movie and set up a good foundation for a new trilogy.

I loved The Last Jedi. Johnson is a very good filmmaker and it felt fresh, with new ideas and didn't just stick to a formula.

The Rise of Skywalker makes Attack of the Clones look like Citizen Kane by comparison.

Abrams is a bad filmmaker. He has the distinction of ruining both Star Trek and Star Wars. That's quite a feather in his cap.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Disagree with pretty much everything you're saying there @elevenism. I thought Force Awakens was passable at best, The Last Jedi was ok, and Rise of Skywalker was absolute trash. They've redeemed themselves somewhat w/ the Obi Wan tv show and Mandalorian. I really think they should just leave the movies alone. The Rise of Skywalker makes The Phantom Menace look like The Godfather.
    You didn't like Rogue One? Seriously?
    I think that's the best one since Return of the Jedi.

And, as far as the media companies, who did you want to produce them? Comcast, Sony, Paramount, AT&T? I mean, goddamn. That's just how it is these days.

I thought TFA was fucking badass.
    Rian subverted expectations a little TOO much. Great singular movie, but, not as the penultimate film in the Star Wars ennealogy.
    Then, they came begging JJ to fix it, and he tried.

And you can't tell me Solo wasn't at LEAST as good as The Rise of Skywalker.
    I thought it was quite a bit better.

As far as the Phantom Menace...those movies don't exist to me.
    They never came out, in my dimension.

SO. @GulDukat : no JJ for you?
    IDK. I dig his work, lens flares and all. I really liked Lost.
    I'm not saying he's the new Spielberg, but i feel like that's what he's often shooting for. You didn't like Super 8?

Also, RUINED Star Track?
    He made the first Star Track movie i actually dug.
    I mean, it was a pretty low bar to clear, but, yeah.
    My HS GF took me to all the Star Track movies,
    but i only agreed to go if i could take acid, and she could be my Handler.
    I GUESS i liked the one with the Borg...on a ten strip of that Bevis and Butthead.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-11-2023 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I thought Rogue One was unnecessary... it just felt inconsequential and predictable. Hated Solo. And if JJ Abrams made the first Star Trek movie you liked, then Star Trek just might not be for you, and that's fine. I'm not a Trekkie. But Star Trek 2 is definitely better than all these Star Wars sequels. Also, while I'm here, Star Trek 6 ruled.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-11-2023 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Disney should just stop. Haven't they done enough to destroy this franchise? Just stick to the tv shows. The main SW storyline has been obliterated by The Rise of Skywalker. There's nowhere good to go from there.
    Dave Filoni, the man who made the prequels make 'sense', is behind this sudden push to make the sequel trilogy make sense. Ahsoka and Mando are both doing the world building/heavy lifting about how the First Order came into being. At least, that what I think is happening. He and Favreau are setting up all these shows to come together for a big Avengers moment and that's what the movie is going to be.

I could be way off here but it feels right, considering. I mean it could also be a Mandalorian civil war that they're building to, I just think that would be small-scale for a film vs. a show.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You didn't like Rogue One? Seriously?
    I think that's the best one since Return of the Jedi.

And, as far as the media companies, who did you want to produce them? Comcast, Sony, Paramount, AT&T? I mean, goddamn. That's just how it is these days.

I thought TFA was fucking badass.
    Rian subverted expectations a little TOO much. Great singular movie, but, not as the penultimate film in the Star Wars ennealogy.
    Then, they came begging JJ to fix it, and he tried.

And you can't tell me Solo wasn't at LEAST as good as The Rise of Skywalker.
    I thought it was quite a bit better.

As far as the Phantom Menace...those movies don't exist to me.
    They never came out, in my dimension.

SO. @GulDukat : no JJ for you?
    IDK. I dig his work, lens flares and all. I really liked Lost.
    I'm not saying he's the new Spielberg, but i feel like that's what he's often shooting for. You didn't like Super 8?

Also, RUINED Star Track?
    He made the first Star Track movie i actually dug.
    I mean, it was a pretty low bar to clear, but, yeah.
    My HS GF took me to all the Star Track movies,
    but i only agreed to go if i could take acid, and she could be my Handler.
    I GUESS i liked the one with the Borg...on a ten strip of that Bevis and Butthead.
    Star Trek (2009) sucked. Abrams said that he wasn't a fan and it showed. A room full of monkeys with typewriters could have come up with a better script.

My ranking of the Star Wars movies

11. ROS
    10. AOTC
    9. TPM
    8. Solo
    7. TFA
    6. ROTS
    5. TLJ
    4. ROTJ
    3. R1
    2. ANH
    1. ESB

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    A scan of a 35mm Czech print of The Phantom Menace has surfaced, it's not perfect but it's beautiful. Much like the 4k77/80/83, I don't think I can go back to watching any other version after seeing this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'll play:

AOTC
    TPM
    ROS
    TLJ
    SOLO
    ROTS
    TFA
    R1
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i'll play:

AOTC
    TPM
    ROS
    TLJ
    SOLO
    ROTS
    TFA
    R1
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    is that worst to best? i sure fuckin' hope so haha

here's mine (best to worst)

empire strikes back
    return of the jedi
    rogue one
    star wars
    the last jedi
    solo
    the force awakens
    revenge of the sith
    attack of the clones
    phantom menace
    george lucas' sweaty nuts on my forehead for an entire week
    a literal pile of shit
    rise of skywalker

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Something like this for me, with a break between the ones I like and the ones I tolerate:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. The Last Jedi
    6. Solo

7. Rise of Skywalker
    8. Rogue One
    9. Attack of the Clones
    10. The Phantom Menace
    11. Revenge of the Sith

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Something like this for me, with a break between the ones I like and the ones I tolerate:

2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. The Last Jedi
    6. Solo

7. Rise of Skywalker
    8. Rogue One
    9. Attack of the Clones
    10. The Phantom Menace
    11. Revenge of the Sith
    pretty similar to mine other than you not liking rogue one!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Phantom Menace
    4. Rogue One
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Force Awakens
    9. The Last Jedi
    10. Solo
    11. Rise of Skywalker (Watched this again, recently, and my lord is it a pile of shit.)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My list is based on this philosophy; Nothing touches OT for me. The prequel trilogy is next, and they got progressively better as they along, AoTC bad dialogue aside is better than people give it credit for and Revenge is infinitely rewatchable. Yes TPM sucks, but it gets rated that high for me due to the insane time it was when it came out with all the new toys and collectibles and characters. It was pure magic as a 14 year old who loved the OT as a kid. Rogue one is easily the best of the Disney era films. Solo got undeservedly bashed. TROS is a mess, but the best of it is still better than anything else in the ST. I didn’t hate Tfa upon watching it, but in hindsight it was so insanely cowardly it goes infinitely below TLJ for me, because as much as that movie is arrogant and filled with all kinds of poor choices, it would have never existed without the stupidity of the framework created by JJ in TFA. He was so worried about botching it he played it formulaicly safe, but somehow in his infinite wisdom that also meant confining Luke Skywalker to a zero dialogue 1 second cameo, making Han and Leia divorced and with just the one angsty adult kid, and restarting the whole resistance thing instead of exploring any of the unique concepts he could have post New Rebellion. He really deserves to be a whipping boy until the end of time. I loved Lost and had no issues with Star Trek overall (mixed results) but I honestly don’t think that you could have made a dumber movie story wise, as visually impressive as it was, than the flaming pile he churned out (how much of the writing should also be blamed on Kasdan and Arndt is an interesting question). But ultimately that trilogy failed because of how badly TFA failed to set up the universe properly and it should be punished accordingly.

ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ

ROTS

AOTC

TPM
    Rogue One
    Solo
    TRoS
    ….

TLJ

TFA