Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: nick999: Let's not talk about Manson, but here's the thing about Manson...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

nick999: Let's not talk about Manson, but here's the thing about Manson...

The marilyn Manson toy post was funny and all but fuck, I wish that connection would die. It's been like 20 years not counting that one weird NYC encore that didn't look fun, sound good or rekindle any friendships. It was fan service.

Sorry but top of page 94 is kinda tainted. NTAE still rules FYI.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 02-21-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    The marilyn Manson toy post was funny and all but fuck, I wish that connection would die. It's been like 20 years not counting that one weird NYC encore that didn't look fun, sound good or rekindle any friendships. It was fan service.

You don't go and make one of the greatest albums of the entire 90's with someone that encapsulated an entire time period for a certain type of young person in a certain type of the country at the time and not get connected to it forever. Trent himself has brought it up on his social media in the past year fondly and the discography page on the new site compliments it. He clearly doesn't mind recognizing what they achieved together. Petty drama may die but the music will last forever.

Maybe you should let it go, yeah?

And in relation to that, in an attempt to steer this orgy of a thread back to being on topic after even more drift, it's not surprising to me that Trent would look back and really enjoy ACSS in the past year, considering just how much Not the Actual Events seems to return to that 90's grimy and industrial aesthetic he was all about in his production style back then. The speed of Idea of You and the wall of filthy, dirt-stained sound of Burning Bright remind me a lot of his production work on songs like 1996 and Angel With the Scabbed Wings or The Reflecting God. It's amazing to hear him return to that nastier style of song production again after so many years of absconding it, almost as if to prove that he totally could have been doing it all along, that he never lost any real edge and he just never honestly wanted to until now. It makes the extremely-boring and annoyingly-common criticism of post-Fragile era material -- that Trent had somehow "gotten soft" and "ran out of ideas" -- all the more invalid.

In general, the production on the latter half of NTAE feels like an incredible progression of where TDS and ACSS left off. It's disgusting and dysmorphic and writhing beneath its own shit-stained skin and I love it for it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    You don't go and make one of the greatest albums of the entire 90's with someone that encapsulated an entire time period for a certain type of young person in a certain type of the country at the time and not get connected to it forever. Trent himself has brought it up on his social media in the past year fondly and the discography page on the new site compliments it. He clearly doesn't mind recognizing what they achieved together. Petty drama may die but the music will last forever.

Maybe you should let it go, yeah?

And in relation to that, in an attempt to steer this orgy of a thread back to being on topic after even more drift, it's not surprising to me that Trent would look back and really enjoy ACSS in the past year, considering just how much Not the Actual Events seems to return to that 90's grimy and industrial aesthetic he was all about in his production style back then. The speed of Idea of You and the wall of filthy, dirt-stained sound of Burning Bright remind me a lot of his production work on songs like 1996 and Angel With the Scabbed Wings or The Reflecting God. It's amazing to hear him return to that nastier style of song production again after so many years of absconding it, almost as if to prove that he totally could have been doing it all along, that he never lost any real edge and he just never honestly wanted to until now. It makes the extremely-boring and annoyingly-common criticism of post-Fragile era material -- that Trent had somehow "gotten soft" and "ran out of ideas" -- all the more invalid.

In general, the production on the latter half of NTAE feels like an incredible progression of where TDS and ACSS left off. It's disgusting and dysmorphic and writhing beneath its own shit-stained skin and I love it for it.
    ACS one of 90's best? According to who? Maybe top 50.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)

I liked ACS in high school, and never latched on to the MM train beyond that... but that onstage pairing at Madison Square Garden was *amazing*

I've never heard a crowd make a noise like that before or since. My ears were clipping.

But oh god, the less Manson we have on this forum the better. 'member that thread that got locked and people got banned? I 'member.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ACS one of 90's best? According to who? Maybe top 50.
    If my opinion counts, I think it is.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    always thought Mansons music would have been better (and been taken more seriously outside of fan circles) if he took away all the alice cooper/KISS shock rock shit..Underneath all the "characters" he played, the dude actually had some good songs (1996-2000) specifically....His antics and shock rock stuff took away from the actual music...I think time heals some wounds, but I doubt TR is too fond of ACSS era considering that album sounded like it was a nightmare to make for all parties involevd...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Congrats @nick999 in bitching about people talking about something everyone is now talking about it again

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    OK way off thread sorry, but the 90s are like, the best rock generation since the 60s or 70s amiright??? All those great albums from the 90s....ACS is of the best? I'm not saying I dislike like it, it's great. But loveless, aenima, nevermind, bloody kisses, dirt, sinsation, superunknown, in utero, angel dust, filth pig, OK computer, fantastic planet, prick, too dark park, TDS, TF, blah blah...ACS or ACSS is not one of the greats. It's great but one step lower no?
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 02-21-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Congrats @nick999 in bitching about people talking about something everyone is now talking about it again
    Dude I'm sorry. Guys I'm sorry. I love music, was born in 82 so I'm I 90s kid and wish the whole Manson connection would go away probably because he's a joke, a clown that makes AL j look like a funny loveable old guy.

Nine inch nails is the only reason I reside here for everything but sports. Go bears.

On topic, I check my front porch every day after work. It's coming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ACS was a great album. So sad Manson never could achieve another album with that amount of quality. I guess the character he portrayed always weighted more than the art itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Whew! Sorry to excise these posts from the NTAE thread, but also not sorry. Please talk about how good Manson was or was not in a Marilyn Manson forum, not on ETS in a thread about the new NIN ep. Thanks!