Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: John Wick Saga

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

John Wick Saga

Saw this one today. Was surprisingly great. I was skeptical that they'd be able to follow-up the first one, but they absolutely nailed it. I'm ready for Chapter 3.

side note: Ruby Rose was great

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Was just gonna make a thread, I LOVE THESE MOVIES.

The action choreography, the cinematography, the atmosphere. Keanu fucking Reeves.

So damn fun, the 2nd one was absolutely on point. I only just saw it today as well but i am still super amped up about it.

Dude is like Muhammed Ali with a gun and such a joy to watch him completely unleashed.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 02-13-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    My brother has been losing his mind about how good this movie is as well. I loved the first one so I'm sure I won't be disappointed by this one.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I too love these movies. That pencil scene, maaaaaaaaan...just brutally awesome. The lower level of The Museum was like Enter The Dragon meets Mass Effect 2's Omega. Just beautiful.

Spoiler: I am really going to miss The Continental. Do you guys think it's possible that Charon, Cassian, Aurelio and Abram (Viggo's brother) will help John in Chapter 3? Maybe even Fishburne shows up again.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This was every bit as good as the first one, they peppered in a bit more humor I thought. The action scenes were incredible once again and it was cool to get a lot more back story about everyone. And yes, that pencil scene was awesome. Can't wait for the (hopefully)third one to finish up the story.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 02-14-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post

Spoiler: I am really going to miss The Continental. Do you guys think it's possible that Charon, Cassian, Aurelio and Abram (Viggo's brother) will help John in Chapter 3? Maybe even Fishburne shows up again.
    Spoiler: Aurelio definitely. I'd love to see Cassian and Charon back.

Btw, I can't look at Charon and not see Desmond Mobay from Oz.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    There were definitely some loose ends that could reappear in the next movie, whether they help John or not is anyone's guess but that'd def be interesting to see after all the scrapping they were doing lol

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I haven't seen it yet but I will soon enough. I loved the first one when I went to the theaters and had no expectations. I bought the first movie on blu-ray when it first came out.
    I watch it at least once every six months. It's so damn good. And to hear that 2 is even better than the first makes me more excited to watch the sequel.

Also found this to be hilarious:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Man, I loved this movie. So great to see the Wick universe expanded.

Common was so badass & such a great foil to Keanu. Spoiler: I'm glad they left the door open for him to return... perhaps as some Tony Stark-esque cyborg?? Only half-joking...

All the returning cast members were an absolute delight, too.

I lost my mind when Wick broke out the shotgun – there were a lot of audible moans from me during nearly every action sequence. That montage of NYC assassins? Wow.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just saw this. Loved it. The world-building this movie did and the way it fleshed out the John Wick universe was really satisfying to see. Really glad to have seen more of the Continental and the formalities of the criminal world.

I really enjoy the style that this director brings to these movies. The action is sleek, stylish, expertly executed, and appropriately brutal at the right moments (that pencil scene!)

Also really enjoy the use of colors so far in these two movies. I don't know if that's something the director does in all his stuff, but I love it here. Whether it's from lighting, or fog, or other elements, there are so many frames with rich, saturated colors that really give these films a unique look. The art directors and cinematographer definitely know their shit.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    OMFG. am i the only one devastated by what john wick did?
    holyflamingcheetofarts.
    i am so pissed (at a fictional character. um. yes i am).
    beautifully filmed, again. fucking rad story.
    i was literally almost rolling on the floor of the theatre during the scene between john and cassien, when they are taking cute little silencer shots at each other along the concourse thing.
    obviously i can't wait for the next one (time machine, anyone? ANYONE???? please and thank you), but man oh man, i am going to obsessing over (what i perceive) as a major fall from internal grace.
    the first movie had me obsessing over "justice vs vengeance", and where the line between them falls.
    now it's "integrity vs righteousness", and where the line falls.
    con sarn it, i cannot believe how much i like these movies. i normally cannot stomach violence and blood bath movies.
    another debate. lol.

holy crow.
    Last edited by Lew; 02-16-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: still processing and overly excited

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    Spoiler: The part where he kills the guy on Continental grounds?, i guess he just wanted to get it done and over with even if it wasn't the smartest play.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Spoiler: The part where he kills the guy on Continental grounds?, i guess he just wanted to get it done and over with even if it wasn't the smartest play.
    Spoiler: In breaking the rules, I think from John's point of view, Santino basically stabbed him in the back. John honored the marker even though he ultimately didn't want to. Santino forced John's hand though. John had enough respect for the rules/honor of the pact that he begrudgingly accepted the marker to once again get out. Santino then repays that pact by first trying to kill John immediately following the assasination, then by putting out the contract on John's life. And then Santino has the audacity to hide in Continental Lounge, rubbing it in John's face? Fuck that. Head shot.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    holyflamingcheetofarts.
    i am so pissed (at a fictional character. um. yes i am).
    beautifully filmed, again. fucking rad story.
    i was literally almost rolling on the floor of the theatre during the scene between john and cassien, when they are taking cute little silencer shots at each other along the concourse thing.
    obviously i can't wait for the next one (time machine, anyone? ANYONE???? please and thank you), but man oh man, i am going to obsessing over (what i perceive) as a major fall from internal grace.
    the first movie had me obsessing over "justice vs vengeance", and where the line between them falls.
    now it's "integrity vs righteousness", and where the line falls.
    con sarn it, i cannot believe how much i like these movies. i normally cannot stomach violence and blood bath movies.
    another debate. lol.

holy crow.
    No, you're not. My friends and I gasped loudly when he made the choice he did.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm just getting a bit slower in my old age but Spoiler: when Winston gave John a marker, was he essentially giving him a favor? I was a little confused by that. "I have to give the order to kill you but I owe you one?"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Speculation on my part here:

Spoiler: Do we think Laurence Fishburne's homeless assasins are all people that have been labeled excommunicado by the Continental?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    i don't know how to do those spoiler things, so this may sound cryptic (also: anyone caring to get into long winded morality debates regarding this movie, PM ME! lololol)

ea; ok, nvmd. i can't type this cryptically enough and don't want to ruin anything for anyone else. @Bachy @Swykk @thelastdisciple please pm "hey, yo" if you wish to receive my unhumble opinion on this development in the john wick-verse.

you know what, though? i swear this: they are actually going to manage to make chapter 3 even better than 2 and 1. never thought they could do better than the first one, and number two (to me) really managed to do that. so i am expecting to blow my mind, my load and my soul when chapter 3 arrives. (sorry for the crudeness, but it really does best sum up what impact these movies have had on me...lololol...you ever have a moment in life where you meet an aspect of yourself and you are all "uh..who the hell are you???"...yeah. john wick does this for me. )))

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'd have to say this film series has really sort of resurrected Keanu Reeve's film career much like Pulp Fiction did for Travolta. I mean, outside of The Matrix series and Constantine, I really can't recall anything else that he's done. This character is just so perfect for him.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Constantine? Constantine?

Bill & Ted. Speed. Point Break. Devil's Advocate. Bram Stoker's Dracula. Parenthood. A Scanner Darkly.

Sigh, Keanu's so great.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post

Bill & Ted. Speed. Point Break. Devil's Advocate. Bram Stoker's Dracula. Parenthood. A Scanner Darkly.

Sigh, Keanu's so great.
    What Ate Gilbert Grape, Siddharta....

Forgettable actor, great presence though. The guy's just a pleasure to see, I love him.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I haven't seen the 2nd film but Keanu I always thought was underrated. Films such as Permanent Record, the Bill & Ted films, The Matrix, River's Edge, My Own Private Idaho, Point Break, Parenthood, Speed, The Gift, Thumbsucker. He's someone who knows his limits but has managed to use it to his advantage in later years and has become someone people can rely on. He's gotten better with age.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post

Sigh, Keanu's so great.
    I love him in all those. I guess my point was, that really, outside of Constantine (for me), he hasn't really done many great films like this since the Martix.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I'd have to say this film series has really sort of resurrected Keanu Reeve's film career much like Pulp Fiction did for Travolta. I mean, outside of The Matrix series and Constantine, I really can't recall anything else that he's done. This character is just so perfect for him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    He is definitely getting better with age. I forgive him for ruining Dracula (Winona, not so much)
    The John Wick franchise is great.
    He plays a great scum bag in The Neon Demon.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    He is definitely getting better with age. I forgive him for ruining Dracula (Winona, not so much)
    The John Wick franchise is great.
    He plays a great scum bag in The Neon Demon.

I had such high hopes for this film. It really let me down. I felt like Keanu was just tossed in there to have a big name.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Well... if you want to watch a weird horror movie where Keanu Reeves basically screams "HELP! OH MY GOD, SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE!!!! HELLLLLLLP!!!!" for thirty or so straight minutes, you could check out Knock Knock.

I wouldn't recommend it if you're living in an apartment with thin walls though.

Also... Bill and Ted?!

But, his suitability for the role aside, he's been in a ton of great movies. Bram Stoker's Dracula, A Scanner Darkly, My Own Private Idaho...

I just don't get how someone can think "Keanu Reeves" and not immediately think "Bill and Ted." Maybe I'm old.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

I just don't get how someone can think "Keanu Reeves" and not immediately think "Bill and Ted." Maybe I'm old.
    I feel like most people think Neo at this point.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I can say that I think of Johnny Utah. But, no. I think of Keanu Reeves.

My first exposure was Bill and Ted back in the day, or was it Parent Hood?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    When I think of Keanu Reeves, a different role always pops into my head. It could be Neo, Ted, or even Jack from Speed. I believe he gets a worse rep than he deserves with his acting as well. His portrayals can be very wooden, but isn't that what makes his characters still fun to watch? Just like Nicolas Cage with his over-the-top performances, you know what you're getting yourself into. Very cool that he was a lot more involved with the stunts in this movie.

As for the movie... it was so freaking stylish and non-stop like I was hoping for. The expansion of this entire world was a treat to watch, almost as if more than half of the population is in on this little secret when it comes to this underworld of contract killers. I really enjoyed the humor in the film as well along with that silencer scene and when he is choosing his loadout . Everyone in their respective roles did a great job, and for me, every character makes you forget they are acting sometimes. It all feels very fresh and original here, and I cannot wait to see what comes next. My favorite scene was probably when him and Cassian run into each other and have that amazing fight scene, only to have a drink at the bar literally minutes after they are forced to stop.

And that homage to Enter the Dragon had me smirking the entire time.