Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Virtual Reality?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Virtual Reality?

Hi,

just doing a little research and I hope you don't mind my bringing it here. I'm interested to know how many Echoing The Sound members have VR headsets? If you do, what headset do you use?

I'm a long term NIN fan, not doing any marketing, just doing some research which is part music and VR related, so I'd be grateful for your input. Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I have the Playstation VR headset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    I have the Playstation VR headset.
    Thanks for responding. Is that likely to be your only headset or are you possibkly going to invest in some newer tech such as Oculus/Vive etc?

I'm asking as it helps frame who's got what, the level of interest in VR etc. This is also early R&D for a university project which may lean heavily towards NIN

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hiab- View Post
    Thanks for responding. Is that likely to be your only headset or are you possibkly going to invest in some newer tech such as Oculus/Vive etc?

I'm asking as it helps frame who's got what, the level of interest in VR etc. This is also early R&D for a university project which may lean heavily towards NIN
    I don't plan on getting any other VR stuff. Honestly, I used the PSVR off and on for the first couple weeks I had it and haven't touched it since.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    same, I have a PSVR, and the only game I really enjoyed on it and thought was essential was Astro Bot Rescue Mission. Moss was pretty cool too, and I enjoyed the Until Dawn shooter game. Everything else felt like a concept demo. I played around with a modded VR headset a while ago... The star wars lightsaber thing was fun.

Honestly, the most constructive thing I could offer in this discussion is that as long as it's wired, it's not a great time and too much of a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-22-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I have an Oculus Rift S. It's wired, which actually hasn't caused me any issues. I've had an awesome time with Beat Saber, Star Wars Squadron, Superhot, The Lab, and a handful of other experiences.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I have a Valve Index currently, I had an HTC Vive before. Any questions let me know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your responses. I'll firstly address those who've got PSVR and have wound up in a state of 'meh!' using VR as a consequence. That particular tech by 2020-2021 standards is old. While it can deliver some technically semi-decent VR, you are more or less in Sony's 'walled garden' of content. The headset optics aren't great, this becomes rapidly apparent when trying another more modern headset such as the latest iterations of the Oculus Quest. I know this as I own both, and personally found that once I'd tried the 2019 Quest, going back to the wired, lower res PSVR was immediately a kind of downgrade. My advice, don't write-off VR until you've taken the more recent tech for a test drive.

Advantages of the portable, wireless headsets are 'portable & wireless', actual social VR where you can easily engage with other users anywhere in the world. So in this respect, the gear acts like a 3D phone. Bear in mind that PSVR and Oculus Quest both form the lower end of the market in terms of quality of experience.

I'm not trying to sell anything here, but its worth stating this because VR has much more to offer and will continue to improve as the market and competition ramp up.
    Had I stuck with my PSVR exclusively, I might have eventually drawn similar unimpressed conclusions. I see it as a useful, novelty item with limited capabilities, so once the novelty has worn off, you've just got a somewhat gimmicky game peripheral.

This out of the way, expect 2021-2022 to see an exponential growth in the technology expanding. There aren't many positives in a Pandemic, but if you are a VR user, then the industry has become quite exciting as there has been a sharp uptake in users who, locked down and trying to stay safe but sociable, have flooded into that domain.
    Everybody's 'frienemy' Facebook have helped invigorate the market with their affordable headsets. For people with ethics which point them away from anything Zuckerberg related, this is understandable caution, but now that hardware has demonstrated its own success, sitting tight for a few more months is likely to prove valuable as we will see more competition in the social/portable VR sector.

I'm here on this thread as I've just begun a masters degree in VR/AR development with emphasis on the story-telling side of the medium. My favourite band EVER, is NIN, and one of my first projects is to begin research, gather data for a hypothetical project (which I intend to develop beyond being conceptual) It seemed a reasonable starting point to test the waters in an online group of people who are likely to show interest in NIN related VR. Obviously, with the market in its current, early state, it helps to know who has what, and what their initial impressions have been.

As my research and development work commences, I'd like to return here to share some of the things that come out of it. For now though, I appreciate any feedback, responses to the original question. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I will add though, that anything NIN VR related from me is 100% unofficial and not available for public experience. In time, I hope that will change, but I cannot promise anything at this stage.

Kodiak33 & Toadflax, I'm interested in whether you've used any social VR with your more high-end headsets, PC setups? Also interested in whether you've tried the Oculus Quest? The later point is not that important, just curiosity on my part. I am interested in what you think are the best experiences you've had in VR with your set-ups though, and if there are any areas where you feel VR is a let down that needs some kind of improvement?

Thanks again for the comments so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have an Oculus Quest 2.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I haven't used it for any social things yet. Mainly single player stuff and Google Earth. Alyx was amazing, and one of the most immersive games I've ever played.

Apple is apparently developing their own headset, but I don't know if it's only going to be Mac based or it's own portable thing like a Quest. I'm guessing it will be standalone but hard to tell right now.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/21/2...details-rumors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I appreciate the engagement with my line of enquiry. This thread will remain open until my project deadline which is just over a month from now. In all likelihood, I'll post a link to a questionnaire which should take two to three minutes to answer. I'd be grateful to those of you who have indulged me so far to hop over and fill it once I've written it. There will be some NIN related questions included as this will tie in with the aesthetic aspects of my work.

Kodiak33 - Funnily, was looking at the rumour mill on the Apple product only yesterday. Have you seen the new Panasonic design? Any wearer of their gear would need Mark Romanek and a wind machine pointed at their mouths to complete the look. For example: