Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Hasn't happened to me but I can see what you mean. Only thing that messed me up was having my biotic power, Shockwave, get activated when in match and my Shepherd charged forward 20 miles away and ended up getting into fire and dying.
    I'm sorry, that made me laugh <3

The roll in general is not my friend in this game, it seems. Maybe I'm just used to the evasive manoeuvres from Batman: Arkham City but it feels a little stilted to have Shepard rolling in combat. In an ideal world, you'd be able to swiftly roll 'em out of the danger zone and behind shelter, but it seems like it's pretty hit-and-miss whether or not Shepard actually rolls in the direction you want. Then you have to wait for them to recover before you can move elsewhere.

Eh. I'm being a stickler here—I tend to default to pointing and shooting and hiding behind cover as much as possible in games anyway, rather than relying upon dodging and acrobatics, for the simple reason that very few RPGs have intuitive combat controls to begin with; I was just hoping this would flow a little more smoothly, since the overhauled combat system has been praised frequently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just got through a full multiplayer game, it goes to 11 waves. It gets ridiculously intense. I feel like I am going to get addicted to it, it's leveling system is fun, and the item system (where you buy a pack of random items) hits the same nerve buying Magic cards does with me. I'm an addict. Haven't tried the single player yet, but I love the combat. The dodge is a little iffy to get used to, and I'm really not that great at taking cover, but damn. It's fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hula View Post
    Speaking of doing things solely for in-game items, how's about that Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo? I found it so tedious I almost couldn't be bothered to complete it—it only made matters worse when it said I had a whole 45 minutes (oh boy!) to explore the world.

The bonus items it unlocked better be good. That's an hour of my life I'll never get back :P

I was given a message as soon as I booted the demo saying that I had unlocked the in-game items for Mass Effect. I don't think you had to play the entire demo. Just boot it up.

Am I wrong here? If so, I'll just boot up the demo for KA:R and let it sit there for 45 minutes while I play skyrim on pc.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Holding out for the full game. Wouldnt normally do this but...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dolemite View Post
    I was given a message as soon as I booted the demo saying that I had unlocked the in-game items for Mass Effect. I don't think you had to play the entire demo. Just boot it up.
    EDIT: I was under the impression that playing the Mass Effect 3 demo unlocked items for the full Mass Effect 3 game. Now it sounds like there's another demo out there that unlocks ME3 stuff. I'm a little confused. Sorry for being out of the loop, but what's going on?

Also, I couldn't access the multi-player part of the Mass Effect 3 demo - something about not having access to the online section. Does anyone know why I might be locked out? Very strange. I played through the single-player demo and loved it, but wasn't allowed to play the multi-player.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 02-15-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dolemite View Post
    Am I wrong here? If so, I'll just boot up the demo for KA:R and let it sit there for 45 minutes while I play skyrim on pc.
    You get one item off the bat for loading the demo and another for completing it; with all of the prompts the demo gives you, though, it was a bit misleading as to how much you had to do to 'complete' it. I made a valiant effort at clearing some of the quests but the H.U.D was so incomprehensible and the combat system so repetitive that I gave up with about 20 minutes to go and took a nap. Apparently, that works too—but you have to go through about ten minutes of gameplay to get to the free-roam segment of the demo in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    EDIT: I was under the impression that playing the Mass Effect 3 demo unlocked items for the full Mass Effect 3 game. Now it sounds like there's another demo out there that unlocks ME3 stuff. I'm a little confused. Sorry for being out of the loop, but what's going on?
    You do unlock something via the ME3 demo itself (it seems as if that 'something' is only unlocked once you actually pop the full version of the game in next month, though), but there's a demo for the game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning that, if played prior to ME3's release, will unlock unique armour and a weapon for you. Similarly, I've heard that playing the ME3 demo unlocks something in KoA:R. I have absolutely no intention of finding out what, though, as that game is a PoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Also, I couldn't access the multi-player part of the Mass Effect 3 demo - something about not having access to the online section. Does anyone know why I might be locked out? Very strange. I played through the single-player demo and loved it, but wasn't allowed to play the multi-player.
    You only get early access to the multiplayer demo if you have Battlefield 3. For everyone else, it opens up on 17th February.

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Holding out for the full game. Wouldnt normally do this but...
    Oddly, even though the demo rocked my little cotton socks, I'm backing you on this one. It's such a small taster to be given when the game comes out in three weeks—it's like throwing a tiny scrap of food to a fanbase that has been starving for months when they know they're getting a proper meal in a little while and just have to hold out for it...

It might be good for reeling some last-minute converts into the franchise, but for everyone already loyal to the series...well, for me anyway, it just made me impatient to get access to the full thing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Despite the kind of weird control quirks (which were present to a degree in 2 anyway IIRC), really enjoyed the demo. The use of the Kinect mic works better than I thought it would (although weirdly taking advantage of it kind of kills my immersion) and the gameplay, RPG elements and visuals seem up to scratch. Can't wait for release day!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Oddly, even though the demo rocked my little cotton socks, I'm backing you on this one. It's such a small taster to be given when the game comes out in three weeks—it's like throwing a tiny scrap of food to a fanbase that has been starving for months when they know they're getting a proper meal in a little while and just have to hold out for it...

It might be good for reeling some last-minute converts into the franchise, but for everyone already loyal to the series...well, for me anyway, it just made me impatient to get access to the full thing.
    I would've preferred not to play the demo but I did for the items I'll evidently be getting. The demo came out so close to release it seems a bit lame to do. The two missions I played in the demo I'll only replay in a short few weeks again anyways. Kind of a waste really. I wish I could keep my level and loadouts in multiplayer when the full game is released but BioWare already stated that won't happen.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    You do unlock something via the ME3 demo itself (it seems as if that 'something' is only unlocked once you actually pop the full version of the game in next month, though), but there's a demo for the game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning that, if played prior to ME3's release, will unlock unique armour and a weapon for you. Similarly, I've heard that playing the ME3 demo unlocks something in KoA:R. I have absolutely no intention of finding out what, though, as that game is a PoS.

You only get early access to the multiplayer demo if you have Battlefield 3. For everyone else, it opens up on 17th February.
    Ahh, ok. Thanks for the info, Hula, you rock!

Can't wait to try out the multi-player with my brother. Also, just the teaser for the commercial that's airing during The Walking Dead gave me goosebumps. Fucking Reapers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^^So, I logged back into the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo and I got to the free roam area, and I let my controller sit. My controller went dead at some point, and I turned it back on and talked to a guy with an exclamation point above his head. The game said "You cannot get achievements because you are not connected to EA servers" (or something to that effect), and then it played the ending of the demo video, and put me back at the title screen.

So, do I have to replay this to get the second Mass Effect 3 unlock? ...sounds like I might not get it because I let the controller go dead.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After seeing this trailer, I really want a Mass Effect movie in the style of the all-CG Final Fantasy films.

Yesterday, I think I played the multi-player demo with my brother for a good 3 hours straight, if not more. Wow. Never got so much mileage out of a demo. SO much fun. I didn't even start adding weapon mods yet. This game is going to dominate my life.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Not too much time left now!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I was very happy when they put this onto the PS3. I am going to get both over the weekend, then eventually get the third game. Man, I have a lot of catching up to do with these three games and all of the Uncharted games!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I was very happy when they put this onto the PS3. I am going to get both over the weekend, then eventually get the third game. Man, I have a lot of catching up to do with these three games and all of the Uncharted games!!
    The first one is not on PS3, which really sucks for PS3 owners. :/

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darktemplar007 View Post
    Yea :/ I meant to edit that earlier, but didn't. 3 looks pretty sweet as of now.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darktemplar007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Yea :/ I meant to edit that earlier, but didn't. 3 looks pretty sweet as of now.
    I wouldn't complain. You're lucky that PS3 got anything. I'm annoyed at the fact GOTY of ME2 with all DLC sans Arrival with new engine was released for PS3.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm annoyed at the fact GOTY of ME2 with all DLC sans Arrival with new engine was released for PS3.
    It came out a year later and cost 60 dollars. At the time, you could buy the xbox version + all the DLC for cheaper. What do you have to be annoyed about?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I really should replay the second one. The way things turned out for me was kinda disappointing...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wouldn't complain. You're lucky that PS3 got anything. I'm annoyed at the fact GOTY of ME2 with all DLC sans Arrival with new engine was released for PS3.
    So you're telling them not to complain for the privilege of being able to play the game at all when you're complaining that you couldn't get the GOTY edition...? :P

I'm assuming everyone's seen the full version of the trailer (yes, the fuller version of the full version of the teaser):

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So you're telling them not to complain for the privilege of being able to play the game at all when you're complaining that you couldn't get the GOTY edition...? :P
    My sentence sounds like a double standard but PS3 users are lucky BioWare and Microsoft had their previous exclusive agreement annulled so 2 and 3 could be released to the PS3 system. If not, it would've remained an Xbox 360 exclusive series.

I only moan as the engine update was included with their release.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I only moan as the engine update was included with their release.
    Joystiq reported on the differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game and it was determined that, apart from the PS3 version (using the ME3 engine) being all-around brighter, there really was no difference at all.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/19/di...-360-original/

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    So my friend and I drove all the way to find the blue one indicated here today: http://www.masseffect.com/space/SFO/

We were the last group left looking for it, and nobody was able to get it. The red one is apparently stuck on a cliff and has been determined unreachable.
    The whole thing is kind of a wild goose chase. by the time you get anywhere near the landing site, all cell phone reception is gone, so its very difficult to get a map working or anything. Lots of thick brush, etc. Trying again tomorrow...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    So my friend and I drove all the way to find the blue one indicated here today: http://www.masseffect.com/space/SFO/

We were the last group left looking for it, and nobody was able to get it. The red one is apparently stuck on a cliff and has been determined unreachable.
    The whole thing is kind of a wild goose chase. by the time you get anywhere near the landing site, all cell phone reception is gone, so its very difficult to get a map working or anything. Lots of thick brush, etc. Trying again tomorrow...
    I have determined that promotion as the best or possibly stupidest promotional technique ever. It's absurd and difficult to obtain just for a free Xbox with some neat encasing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's for the game, not the console, isn't it? Or does everyone who tracks down the copies of the games win a console too?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    It's for the game, not the console, isn't it? Or does everyone who tracks down the copies of the games win a console too?
    It's just the game, I don't know why I said the console. I ended up hearing rumors of a console awhile back. Either way, it's a troublesome thing to obtain.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    after 20 hours trying to get the space
    Mass Effect 2
    (mass effect 3) nobody got anything. First package was determined unreachable. a tractor couldn't do it. A 3 hour hike and then 3 hour crawl through thorny, muddy bramble if you have a machete and a crew. then its up a tree. Last night two people got lost looking for it and had to be rescued.

Today we found the other one though. It was just off a beaten path in tree. It wasn't in a tree too high... it was just out of reach. 3 people climbed that tree. One person spent 4 hours up there with sling shots base balls fishing poles... we inevitably broke one of the branches on which it was tangled, and everything fell but the goddamn games.

The game company was there to help use get it down, and they could barely help at all. IGN was there covering it, but we couldn't do it. Youd have to chop that thing down. Allegedly the launch in vegas today was also something o a failure.

Overall a very exhausting and physically painful experience... adventurous. but methinks Electronic Arts or BioWare should really get going on some damage control for some of the people who really broke there backs out there the last two days. I was wading wastte deep in thorns with a machete and a baseball bat... totalled a pair of shoes.... the guy in the tree i think got fired from his job. oh dear.... eventually the property owner kicked us all out.

well there are twenty copies of mass effect north of santa cruz if your a damned super hero.... or ten if your an arborist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What a mess this turned out to be! Points for the concept but not so much the execution.

Speaking of which... I've been reading a three-part essay on the aberration that is the first game's interface. The guy who wrote it obviously appreciates the storyline and the actual gameplay, but he has some really valid points on what makes the interface of virtually every screen in the game so damn borked. The ridiculously hampered inventory screens and the galaxy map button commands are probably the parts that hit closest to home for me.

You can read them here: 1 | 2 | 3

It's funny—I've never really understood why gamers were so divided on these games 'til I read those articles. Gripping as the storyline might be, the interface could definitely have been a deal-breaker for the best of people. I know it bugged me to the point of giving up for weeks at one point and I probably never would have fallen for the franchise had I not lost internet access for a week and been forced to play ME1 to completion or die of boredom.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love vidya games but not that much to get this!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ATTENTION ETSERS WHO HAVE PRE-ORDERED FROM GAME: Due to a variety of circumstances involving Game being in a bit of financial trouble etc etc, they will not be honouring preorders for Mass Effect 3, either for the collectors edition or the standard edition. You will get your deposit back if you placed one, but you'll have to go elsewhere if you want the collectors edition before it runs out.
    Last edited by Hula; 03-01-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    ATTENTION ETSERS WHO HAVE PRE-ORDERED FROM GAME: Due to a variety of circumstances involving Game being in a bit of financial trouble etc etc, they will not be honouring preorders for Mass Effect 3, either for the collectors edition or the standard edition. You will get your deposit back if you placed one, but you'll have to go elsewhere if you want the collectors edition before it runs out.
    You can get it from Play, Amazon, ShopTo and Zavvi online me thinks. I re-ordered from Play yesterday and used the £5 code Game sent me to pre-order the Silent Hill Collection. Hopefully they won't have gone bust by then! I hear rumors Gamestop will try and take over.. Anyway.. Mass Effect 3! Weee! I can't wait, though I played the demo and now kinda wish I hadn't, not that much happens, it was more I rushed and instantly pre-ordered the N7 edition when I probably should save money...