Thread: Mass Effect

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Animations still aren't bothering me, still having a ton of fun exploring and whatnot. I guess I'm usually just reading the subtitles or paying attention to the story, or simply don't get hung up on that. *shrugs*

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient View Post
    crowbcat is superb at taking gaming hype and turning it on its back when it comes to showing the actual execution. This was one of his best simply due to the sheer amount of bug examples he was able to pull together. I'm feeling very sad about this as I was a HUGE fan of Mass Effect 1 and 2.
    I should check out more of his vids. I found a fairly new reviewer, whose channel is called ACG. Dude is pretty chill, he did not seem to be given in the anti-Andromeda hype train; of course, he still panned the game, because it objectively sucks, but his verdict was to wait for sale, which is still something positive I guess.

My one problem with all the focus on the bugs and glitches (which are warranted, yes) is that it makes it so, that people might think that the bland, utter shit voice acting and writing is not an issue. It is.

"This is why I play video games"
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Animations still aren't bothering me, still having a ton of fun exploring and whatnot. I guess I'm usually just reading the subtitles or paying attention to the story, or simply don't get hung up on that. *shrugs*
    I always say this: Prison Break was a shit TV show, but I ate it up all the way, and I couldn't be happier that it is getting a mini-series right now. There is nothing inherently wrong with liking something that's not good, but Andromeda is having a hard time because of the legacy and expectations of the franchise. If a no name company would relese this game as "Space Adventures" then no would care, critics would give a 6-7 and say that if these guys keep working at it, then in a few years they might contest the big developer companies. But we are talking about Bioware here.

The biggest leeway of this game is actually its constant criticism. It's understandable that people get annoyed, when a game they think is "OK" constantly being trashed, and it can trigger them to swing to the opposite.

I don't know who said that ME 1 did not have good characters or story and it only expanded later, but lol. Saren was pretty much one of the best villains in the ME trilogy, and you had sooooo many conversation options. It focused on the RPG aspect a lot, and even though Shepard had a cartoonish personality, it just goddamn worked. When Shepard told someone off, you listened to him.

76 on metacritic, 4.5 on user score. This game was done by the company, who made the Shadow Broker DLC to ME2 and Omega+Citadel to ME3. Three DLC-s which greatly expanded on their main game, showing that the developers had a ton of new, great ideas, which could potentially mark the way of the development of future ME games.

We got this instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    My one problem with all the focus on the bugs and glitches (which are warranted, yes) is that it makes it so, that people might think that the bland, utter shit voice acting and writing is not an issue. It is.

I always say this: Prison Break was a shit TV show, but I ate it up all the way, and I couldn't be happier that it is getting a mini-series right now. There is nothing inherently wrong with liking something that's not good, but Andromeda is having a hard time because of the legacy and expectations of the franchise. If a no name company would relese this game as "Space Adventures" then no would care, critics would give a 6-7 and say that if these guys keep working at it, then in a few years they might contest the big developer companies. But we are talking about Bioware here.

The biggest leeway of this game is actually its constant criticism. It's understandable that people get annoyed, when a game they think is "OK" constantly being trashed, and it can trigger them to swing to the opposite.

I don't know who said that ME 1 did not have good characters or story and it only expanded later, but lol. Saren was pretty much one of the best villains in the ME trilogy, and you had sooooo many conversation options. It focused on the RPG aspect a lot, and even though Shepard had a cartoonish personality, it just goddamn worked. When Shepard told someone off, you listened to him.

76 on metacritic, 4.5 on user score. This game was done by the company, who made the Shadow Broker DLC to ME2 and Omega+Citadel to ME3. Three DLC-s which greatly expanded on their main game, showing that the developers had a ton of new, great ideas, which could potentially mark the way of the development of future ME games.

We got this instead.
    For me it was seeing these animations and bugs which is turning me away because it's how well that's done which helps pull me into the experience of the game. The glitches will just throw me off. I liken it to how well the Rockstar games do faces and emotions. L.A. Noir was a repetitive game but I loved playing it because the character models were so well done that I felt immersed in the experience.

I totally agree with you on Prison Break. I did a binge of that entire series and came away every show thinking how crap the story is but I couldn't stop watching because the portrayals and character work done just pulled me in. So I THINK we're on the same page with what's important to us about what should work to make Mass Effect a worthwhile expense. Sure the combat and weapon options are probably cool as hell and did make for great gameplay in 1 and 2 but for me, the characters, the feeling and the way you felt immersed in the story THROUGH them is what made it worth playing long hours. Seeing faces like this...yeah I would not feel as engaged at all.
    Last edited by sentient; 03-28-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: wow...my grammar, yuck.