Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darktemplar007 View Post
    I think it's way to soon for a trilogy release, but beyond that I don't support exclusivity in any way, I know it makes sense marketing wise and really determines some consoles success but I hate the limiting factor of it. I hate the way it limits sales, and audiences, especially when a series jumps ship from console to console (like FF in the SNES to PS jump). I also hate the rampant fanboy bullshit it always spawns.

So yeah I agree that it is definitely a money grabbing scheme by EA, but what isn't that they do these days? I think the fact PS3 owners can finally play the original (which you don't have to buy the trilogy to play!) is nothing but a good thing.
    I'm 100% fine with exclusive titles, they often define the console itself. The thing I hate and loathe most is console specific DLC that's only offered to one console. THAT, THAT is unfair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I would be ecstatic about this if I were a PS3 user. As it is I really don't mind if the Sony fanboys get their mitts on my favourite Microsoft game, and my first thought was 'Ooh cool, PS3 users finally get to play the first game now!' when I read the details of it. Console exclusivity was never an issue until we had two major contenders on the market (major similar ones at that, never mind the Wii or handheld consoles) and it became an either-or situation; there are so many good games coming out on PS3 these days that I'm actually tempted to fork out for a console even though I know for a fact I'd probably play those games occasionally and stick to the 360 otherwise since it's familiar and it's where I have all my games.

Not everybody's lucky enough to be able to afford more than one console, and some people probably feel like they chose wrongly based on what was available on the console of their choosing at the time of purchase. I only went with the 360 because it had Bully: Scholarship Edition. The bulk of the games I play were released on both platforms.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...pyHMv7lQ7g</a>

Posted from http://www.ign.com
    BioWare has announced Retaliation, the newest multiplayer downloadable content forMass Effect 3. Set to arrive for free on October 9th, Retaliation is the largest upgrade toMass Effect 3 multiplayer to date and adds the Collectors as new enemies. Included Collectors are the Praetorian, Scion, Abomination, Trooper and Captain, and the Collectors will fight alongside the Dragoons and new Geth drones.

Retalation will offer two new characters -- the Turian Havoc Soldier and Turian Ghost Infiltrator -- with “many more being added on a regular basis.” New maps Firebase Ghost, Dagger and Giant are also included, along with environmental hazards including Acid, Lightening, Meltdowns, Sandstorms, Swarms and Whiteouts.
    New items will also be offered, including three new weapons (Collector Assault Rifle, Sub-Machine Gun and Sniper Rifle), three new ammo types (Explosive rounds, Phasic Rounds and Drill Rounds) and five new Gear items (Medi-Gel Transmitter, Armored Compartments, Responer Loadout, Survivor Loadout and Assault Loadout).
    Players will also be able to track their progress in a new “Challenges” database. As explained by BioWare on its official site, players will be able to “complete various multiplayer assignments and feats of strength to unlock titles and banners to display in-game, then compare your progress against your friend.”

AHHHHHH!!!!

As if I hadn't been playing the multiplayer enough. Anyone here playing on PS3 can hit me up, user name hollow_pointed. I play every night!
    Last edited by hollowed_point; 10-04-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    AHHHHHH!!!!

Your link is broken, mate!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah I saw that and fixed it right before you posted lol. I suck at forums.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    When it comes to exclusives, I think PS takes the grail for that one. I was pretty surprised when Final Fantasy went over to Xbox and hated it, but it is really lame when another studio gets ownership of a series and goes haywire with it. Seems like a nice cash grab to me with the whole Mass Effect thing going on now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, well I only own a PS3 and wouldn't have gotten to discover my love for Mass Effect had they not ported it over. It's one of my favorite game series of all time now, so cash grab or not, I'm happy.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm about to play through this series for the first time. I love the idea of carrying saved games over, sounds very intriguing!
    Does anyone have any tips for a first time player that may alleviate some virgin frustration?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not really. Its all decision based. Just play it by ear. Figure out if you're gonna be the good guy or bad guy.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    OK so 'use your brain and you'll be fine!'
    Thanks! I'm about to dive in now.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I am 33% through ME2 and have hit the migraine stage.
    Ugh I just want to keep playing!
    Last edited by somethingelse; 10-19-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: OK so

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raygunprimed View Post
    I am 33% through ME2 and have hit the migraine stage.
    Ugh I just want to keep playing!
    Why? What's wrong?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Too many consecutive playing hours caught up with me last night and resulted in much brain pain. Flashing auras, nausea. Felt better this morning, though some sensitivity remains. I've bombed a couple of mersyndol and I'm back into it now, like a good soldier. I'll possibly pay for this later.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So I finally finished Mass Effect 3, with Extended Cut, From Ashes and Leviathan. I found the ending beautiful, but would have really liked to see the original ending. If it was just three different colours and a crash landing, well, that would have been too little. And I STILL think that they could have fleshed out the ending a little more, like mentioning every race and every companion. What happened to the hanar, the elcor, and the volus? It is still somewhat incomplete, but the logic of the ending itself was good, in my opinion. It's basically the conflict of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Man creates tools who then threaten to destroy him. Ok, the idea to send machines to kill organics instead is somewhat strange, but ok... They could have said instead, that at some point, the technological progress of certain races threatens the fabric of the universe itself, or something like that. This original vision of the mass relays creating dark matter sounds intriguing. But yeah, the ending as it is, is still classic sci-fi lore. Ironically, they had Terminator on TV the day I finished Mass Effect.... organics vs synthetics again... The idea of a cycle also reminded me of the classic sci-fi game Star Control II. The game itself was quite good, I thought. My only possible criticism is the even stronger focus on war, and shooting evil creatures. Ok, that was to be expected, but they also killed the minigames (and the mako missions in MAss Effect II). So it was a little tiring. But the narrative was strong enough to hold interest.
    Last edited by ambergris; 11-05-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    They probably left the other species alone. Assuming they were younger species than humans and asari.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Mass Effect 4 officially in development.

Major points:

- Runs on Frostbite 2 engine.
    - Commander Shepard will not return.
    - Game will 'be respectful of history, but also explore new story and gameplay fronts'
    - Don't hold your breath, '...probably going to be quite a while until you hear from us again.'

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Frostbite 2 engine? Proof EA has sunk their claws into this one.

I now currently have a love/hate relationship with this game series now for the simple fact it's in my face constantly and the fanboyism is too much for me from certain individuals and parties.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Even though my last post is spewing hate I did buy Omega and I did have fun and love it.

New DLC news abound...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I played ME 1+2, I'm not completely finished with ME2 (I have to finish my 'asshole-edition'), but I'm really, really scared of ME3, I heard lots of people say that they destroyed the series with that game and the ending is so bad etc.
    What do you guys think? Should I give it a try or continue living in my dreamworld, where everything is great and aweomse in the Mass Effect universe?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMeowMeow View Post
    I played ME 1+2, I'm not completely finished with ME2 (I have to finish my 'asshole-edition'), but I'm really, really scared of ME3, I heard lots of people say that they destroyed the series with that game and the ending is so bad etc.
    What do you guys think? Should I give it a try or continue living in my dreamworld, where everything is great and aweomse in the Mass Effect universe?
    Play it and enjoy it. People went overboard and immature with disliking of the ending. It was and still is ridiculous to me how people acted.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Mass Effect

ME3 is an amazing game (not considering the ending). The story was decent and the gameplay was more fast paced. I enjoyed it. About the ending. You could playthrough and see what the fuss is all about. You might enjoy them. Then I'd check out the director's cut endings. I was happy enough when I saw the extended endings. My original opinion still stands on the original ending(s) though. Rushed and thrown together. Game-wise, I'd still recommend it though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    At worst, the ending of 3 might discourage you from wanting to play the series through another 80 times after you've cleared it once. I'm trying another playthrough right now and as much as I'm not so stoked about having the almost exact same ending thrown at me, I do like the series enough to play right through to the end yet again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'll give it a try as soon as I have some spare money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well this looks pretty terrible.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    as much as i'd like to be able to play with some of the old crew again, the concept and dialog all seem a bit crap. i'll more than likely download it later anyway, maybe there'll be more to it than the last two campaign DLC's.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I want this but at 1200 MSP and being over 4 GB to download on top of Tomb Raider coming out today this won't be played for awhile from me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It must have a shitload of content to be two downloads at 1200 points. If it is, they didn't exactly sell it to us... I mean, I went for the other ME3 DLC based on their blurbs alone. Even the premise of this sounds kinda meh.

Somebody needs to do an in-depth, non-spoilery review of this!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hula View Post
    It must have a shitload of content to be two downloads at 1200 points. If it is, they didn't exactly sell it to us... I mean, I went for the other ME3 DLC based on their blurbs alone. Even the premise of this sounds kinda meh.

Somebody needs to do an in-depth, non-spoilery review of this!
    That'd be awesome. I've yet to pick up any of the DLC. I wouldn't mind replaying the first two before doing that though (many have died). I restarted the first game from an import from ME3. I was so overpowered it wasn't fun.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I haven't d/led anything either, not because I don't want to play it, but because its so expensive.. there has got to be a DLC sale/bundle/GOTY or something at some point.. then I'll get it...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The money really isn't a huge issue with me. Its an issue if I pay for something knowing full well that I probably wouldn't play it then. And the second they go on sale would probably be a good way to scoop them up too.