Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Mass Effect

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Animations still aren't bothering me, still having a ton of fun exploring and whatnot. I guess I'm usually just reading the subtitles or paying attention to the story, or simply don't get hung up on that. *shrugs*

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I personally gave up on Mass Effect 3 because the frame rate was intolerable... it completely dragged me out of the experience, which was supposed to be cinematic. To hear that this game has, once again, strangely dated graphics issues is not encouraging.

I still don't get what went wrong there. Not to distract from Andromeda talk, but ME3 just felt like a train wreck to me, while I loved the first two games. Guess I'll go back to Horizon Zero Dawn and if that starts to drag I'll pick up Nier. Too many good games out there now. This would have gotten my interest if the critics lit a fire under my ass, but...

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient View Post
    crowbcat is superb at taking gaming hype and turning it on its back when it comes to showing the actual execution. This was one of his best simply due to the sheer amount of bug examples he was able to pull together. I'm feeling very sad about this as I was a HUGE fan of Mass Effect 1 and 2.
    I should check out more of his vids. I found a fairly new reviewer, whose channel is called ACG. Dude is pretty chill, he did not seem to be given in the anti-Andromeda hype train; of course, he still panned the game, because it objectively sucks, but his verdict was to wait for sale, which is still something positive I guess.

My one problem with all the focus on the bugs and glitches (which are warranted, yes) is that it makes it so, that people might think that the bland, utter shit voice acting and writing is not an issue. It is.

"This is why I play video games"
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Animations still aren't bothering me, still having a ton of fun exploring and whatnot. I guess I'm usually just reading the subtitles or paying attention to the story, or simply don't get hung up on that. *shrugs*
    I always say this: Prison Break was a shit TV show, but I ate it up all the way, and I couldn't be happier that it is getting a mini-series right now. There is nothing inherently wrong with liking something that's not good, but Andromeda is having a hard time because of the legacy and expectations of the franchise. If a no name company would relese this game as "Space Adventures" then no would care, critics would give a 6-7 and say that if these guys keep working at it, then in a few years they might contest the big developer companies. But we are talking about Bioware here.

The biggest leeway of this game is actually its constant criticism. It's understandable that people get annoyed, when a game they think is "OK" constantly being trashed, and it can trigger them to swing to the opposite.

I don't know who said that ME 1 did not have good characters or story and it only expanded later, but lol. Saren was pretty much one of the best villains in the ME trilogy, and you had sooooo many conversation options. It focused on the RPG aspect a lot, and even though Shepard had a cartoonish personality, it just goddamn worked. When Shepard told someone off, you listened to him.

76 on metacritic, 4.5 on user score. This game was done by the company, who made the Shadow Broker DLC to ME2 and Omega+Citadel to ME3. Three DLC-s which greatly expanded on their main game, showing that the developers had a ton of new, great ideas, which could potentially mark the way of the development of future ME games.

We got this instead.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Meh. I'm too old for any of that. I'm having fun. If I wasn't, I'd go play something else. I'm from the generation of playing video games to have fun. If other people aren't, that's cool. *shrugs*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    My one problem with all the focus on the bugs and glitches (which are warranted, yes) is that it makes it so, that people might think that the bland, utter shit voice acting and writing is not an issue. It is.

I always say this: Prison Break was a shit TV show, but I ate it up all the way, and I couldn't be happier that it is getting a mini-series right now. There is nothing inherently wrong with liking something that's not good, but Andromeda is having a hard time because of the legacy and expectations of the franchise. If a no name company would relese this game as "Space Adventures" then no would care, critics would give a 6-7 and say that if these guys keep working at it, then in a few years they might contest the big developer companies. But we are talking about Bioware here.

The biggest leeway of this game is actually its constant criticism. It's understandable that people get annoyed, when a game they think is "OK" constantly being trashed, and it can trigger them to swing to the opposite.

I don't know who said that ME 1 did not have good characters or story and it only expanded later, but lol. Saren was pretty much one of the best villains in the ME trilogy, and you had sooooo many conversation options. It focused on the RPG aspect a lot, and even though Shepard had a cartoonish personality, it just goddamn worked. When Shepard told someone off, you listened to him.

76 on metacritic, 4.5 on user score. This game was done by the company, who made the Shadow Broker DLC to ME2 and Omega+Citadel to ME3. Three DLC-s which greatly expanded on their main game, showing that the developers had a ton of new, great ideas, which could potentially mark the way of the development of future ME games.

We got this instead.
    For me it was seeing these animations and bugs which is turning me away because it's how well that's done which helps pull me into the experience of the game. The glitches will just throw me off. I liken it to how well the Rockstar games do faces and emotions. L.A. Noir was a repetitive game but I loved playing it because the character models were so well done that I felt immersed in the experience.

I totally agree with you on Prison Break. I did a binge of that entire series and came away every show thinking how crap the story is but I couldn't stop watching because the portrayals and character work done just pulled me in. So I THINK we're on the same page with what's important to us about what should work to make Mass Effect a worthwhile expense. Sure the combat and weapon options are probably cool as hell and did make for great gameplay in 1 and 2 but for me, the characters, the feeling and the way you felt immersed in the story THROUGH them is what made it worth playing long hours. Seeing faces like this...yeah I would not feel as engaged at all.
    Last edited by sentient; 03-28-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: wow...my grammar, yuck.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I haven't come across a single bug yet. Nothing. I'm having fun with it. A lot to do. It's probably not as good as the trilogy. But, it's the beginning of something new.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I'm currently on Havarl, hanging with/helping the Thundercats meets Bib Fortuna(angara), killing outlaws, rescuing turians, running from/sniping huge beasts from higher ground, and falling for Peebee (having had a predisposition to loving an asari previously).

In other words, ignoring the haters and waiting until I've finished the game before judging it. Right now, it's a good time.
    Last edited by Swykk; 03-28-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LOL @ Thundercats. And by Havarl, you meant Pandora from Avatar at nighttime lol.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying the game a bunch. Went through ME 1-3 as a boring Commando shootman, so I'm using the new combat system as an excuse to experiment more with Biotics and such. Charge is ridiculously fun to use and melee is really satisfying.

I've got Eos, Voeld and Havarl up to 100% viability and am about to return to Aya to progress the story. I haven't really encountered anything overly off-putting thus far in terms of bugs/animation issues.

I can't be bothered with dedicating any mental energy to Inane Gaming Controversy #29474748. The only thing I will say is that Andromeda being unfavourably compared with Witcher 3 from a technical perspective is bewildering to me. I recently finished the latter + expansions and it was still a mess after 18 months. Janky controls, excrutiating load times, bugs / freezes galore... It's a great game but it seemed to hate me trying to play it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    A lot of the criticisms are warranted, but I still find myself enjoying the game a lot. I've noticed a few bugs like sometimes enemies will be invisible when they're not meant to be - as in their character models didn't load at all or some enemies will just have no animations at all and be standing still and just vanish instantly as soon as you kill them. Those both mostly happened on Voeld. Also for some reason if you try and load a save from when you saved in the Nomad the game will sit on the loading screen for at least 5 minutes even with the game installed on an SSD. If you die in a cutscene (About that - Bioware what the fuck? I know I missed one enemy but I couldn't do shit about it because he only made his presence known once i started talking to an NPC) the game refuses to load that exact save file anymore, you have to go back one save. That was 'fun'.

I am enjoying the game, but it from a technical perspective it undeniably has issues.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Meh. I'm too old for any of that. I'm having fun. If I wasn't, I'd go play something else. I'm from the generation of playing video games to have fun. If other people aren't, that's cool. *shrugs*
    Fun is subjective. I had fun playing with rocks as a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient View Post
    For me it was seeing these animations and bugs which is turning me away because it's how well that's done which helps pull me into the experience of the game. The glitches will just throw me off. I liken it to how well the Rockstar games do faces and emotions. L.A. Noir was a repetitive game but I loved playing it because the character models were so well done that I felt immersed in the experience.

I totally agree with you on Prison Break. I did a binge of that entire series and came away every show thinking how crap the story is but I couldn't stop watching because the portrayals and character work done just pulled me in. So I THINK we're on the same page with what's important to us about what should work to make Mass Effect a worthwhile expense. Sure the combat and weapon options are probably cool as hell and did make for great gameplay in 1 and 2 but for me, the characters, the feeling and the way you felt immersed in the story THROUGH them is what made it worth playing long hours. Seeing faces like this...yeah I would not feel as engaged at all.
    Exactly. To me, seeing my beloved franchised butchered like this would take away all the joy a neutral player might have.
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    I'm enjoying the game a bunch. Went through ME 1-3 as a boring Commando shootman, so I'm using the new combat system as an excuse to experiment more with Biotics and such. Charge is ridiculously fun to use and melee is really satisfying.
    Ah, the new generation of Mass Effect players? Charge was introduced in ME 2 (super-duper fun), was made even better with the addition of Nova in ME 3, but here I am, 7 years after the ability was first introduced, and I am reading a reply praising Andromeda for charge, because you always picked Soldier in the previous games. I mean, if someone never even played with Mass Effect, than Andromeda has to be blast.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Ah, the new generation of Mass Effect players? Charge was introduced in ME 2 (super-duper fun), was made even better with the addition of Nova in ME 3, but here I am, 7 years after the ability was first introduced, and I am reading a reply praising Andromeda for charge, because you always picked Soldier in the previous games. I mean, if someone never even played with Mass Effect, than Andromeda has to be blast.
    Think you might have misinterpreted, or I wasn't clear. I got into Mass Effect in 2010. I played through ME1 and 2 at ~launch for ME2. I played through ME3 at launch (there's probably some posts ITT from me back then if you want proof). What I meant was I never really used biotics in the previous games for whatever reason. Since the progression system in Andromeda is more flexible I figured I could invest points in other areas without sacrificing my preference for beefy HP / DPS. The fact combat isn't so cover-centric anymore makes experimentation feel viable (at least to me).
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 03-29-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    Think you might have misinterpreted, or I wasn't clear. I got into Mass Effect in 2010. I played through ME1 and 2 at ~launch for ME2. I played through ME3 at launch (there's probably some posts ITT from me back then if you want proof). What I meant was I never really used biotics in the previous games for whatever reason. Since the progression system in Andromeda is more flexible I figured I could invest points in other areas without sacrificing my preference for beefy HP / DPS. The fact combat isn't so cover-centric anymore makes experimentation feel viable (at least to me).
    Yeah, but you highlighted how fun charge is, which is an ME2 innovation. ME3 also made steps to get away from the cover-based combat with grenades and enemies with special abilities, plus destructable covers. The jetpack is very cool though, that's for sure, but for me, combat was always secondary.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    https://dontfeedthegamers.com/mass-e...patch-inbound/

Well good. I guess people can quit bitching now. No? You mean this was all residual whining from 3 ("Shepard didn't live and ride off into the sunset despite the game foreshadowing his or her death several times so I'm going to make shit up and hate it and Adromeda too!")?

Shocking development! Please tell me your thoughts on "ethics in journalism as they pertain to video games," won't you?

No, I don't mean that as a blanket statement. I'm sure there are people who just don't like the series but a lot of the complaining comes across as noted above.
    Last edited by Swykk; 04-04-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I got blasted when I defended it. I come from the 8 bit/atari era. So I'm not bothered by facial animations as much as some. I've had a couple buggy moments, but it still runs good enough.

I think people are still salty over 3.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I just picked it up, and have been playing when I can wrestle the controller out of my partners hands (she's obsessed with Persona 5) and after the pretty weak intro mission, it does defo get better, as soon as I had a ship and crew I was back in the 'now this is Mass Effect' vibe. I saw the patch that fixed the eyes went live. I mean, the faces aren't great, but it is a video game. My biggest complaint is the font is too damn small and I can't read half of the UI.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I have experienced one glitch so far and apparently it's a well known common one--I got a blueprint for a shield upgrade on Voeld for the Nomad but when I go to develop it, nothing happens. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Does the patch help everything out quite a bit?

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I've not had any issues until the one on Voeld. I've got Eos at 100 and Havarl at 86...so I'm not too far in but as you've no doubt seen in previous posts, I think the hate for Andromeda is overblown at best and residual whiny BS from ME: 3 at worst.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

$150 and "game not included"?!?

(corrected link here)
    Last edited by allegate; 02-02-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I fucking hate EA.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    And the game is full $60, making the total package $200+ with taxes and shipping after it's all said and done.