Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    What's Peter Murphy up to these days?
    Mostly meth http://www.nme.com/news/music/bauhaus-1241716

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Do you know where he's said this? I assume he's a pretty private person, but it seems like he's just completely disappeared from the internet after his breakup with Tamar and now his "breakup" with NIN. I just really hope he continues to stay involved with the NIN camp eventually, because I really dig what he brings to both bands and I really used to dig following him on Twitter/Instagram and checking out what he has to say and being into the artwork he would post there.
    I'm one to not know NIN camp gossip or personal details anymore, but TAMAR AND ROB BROKE UP WHAT?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I'm one to not know NIN camp gossip or personal details anymore, but TAMAR AND ROB BROKE UP WHAT?
    That was a fair old while ago, you're clearly not into the NIN soap opera

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    That was a fair old while ago, you're clearly not into the NIN soap opera
    Season 5 will shock you

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Put me down as excited for new HTDA. I'm very much in the pro Mariqueen camp too. Welcome Oblivion was a cracking record, and it really fits alongside Hesitation Marks as some of my favourite Trent produced works in some time. I was gutted that NIN had stopped doing HTDA stuff live by the time they got to Europe, so I'd definitely go out of my way to see them somewhere reasonably local.

I don't see why they couldn't release a record without Rob, but maybe they'll just wait for him to finish doing other stuff before putting it out. There were some great visuals though, so I'd be pleased if he did return. Either way, I think it might be worth keeping eyes peeled on the HTDA social media accounts, just in case anything pops up sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Put me down as excited for new HTDA. I'm very much in the pro Mariqueen camp too. Welcome Oblivion was a cracking record, and it really fits alongside Hesitation Marks as some of my favourite Trent produced works in some time. I was gutted that NIN had stopped doing HTDA stuff live by the time they got to Europe, so I'd definitely go out of my way to see them somewhere reasonably local.

I don't see why they couldn't release a record without Rob, but maybe they'll just wait for him to finish doing other stuff before putting it out. There were some great visuals though, so I'd be pleased if he did return. Either way, I think it might be worth keeping eyes peeled on the HTDA social media accounts, just in case anything pops up sooner rather than later.
    I really loved Mark Weaver's work on the first EP, they could go back to him if Rob's unavailable

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah, at best...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So...in the Discography section of nin.com under How To Destroy Angels Rob Sheridan is listed as a member so until we hear otherwise, he is still a member of the band, at least i think thats safe to assume.
    i do like his work with HTDA/NIN and while maybe it was time for a new art direction on the NIN side, i do think Rob staying involved with HTDA would be cool.

also, about the thread title, Sigil 5? whats that supposed to mean? sorry been out of the loop recently.
    anyway, its good to hear HTDA is not done, i liked the first couple releases but totally love Welcome Oblivion and was surprised (although i shouldn't be with TR involved) how good they were live when i caught them at the Sound Academy in Toronto.

just based on that one show i saw live, i would love to see a bigger HTDA tour.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    also, about the thread title, Sigil 5? whats that supposed to mean?
    Sigils are like Halos for HTDA - we've had four so far...

http://www.nin.wiki/Sigil_numbers

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    There are also seed numbers and null numbers:

http://www.nin.wiki/Halo_numbers#Seeds

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    that's fucking awesome.

So now i feel bad for saying that HTDA was over.
    If anything, it's probably more alive than ever, what with Atticus "joining" NIN and Mariqueen doing vocals on NTAE.

I thought it was over when the shirts went on clearance and the links were dead on the website.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Fuck the naysayers. Mariqueen's voice is great for this project. Welcome Oblivion is a wonderful album; just listened to it again a few days ago and it's just as good as it ever was.

Bring on the new material. But don't rush it. Take your time and make it great. I don't mind waiting a few years for an outstanding album.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Her voice works for me the most when obscured by effects, reduced to samples or simply not there tbh. The production is fucking great tho.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ross and Mrs. Reznor performing on NIN records, Cortini in NIN, Sheridan on sabbatical; this project is on indefinite hiatus presumably. the LP was a true grower and something of a curio, if the band is over. I liked the EP from the start.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    Ross and Mrs. Reznor performing on NIN records, Cortini in NIN, Sheridan on sabbatical; this project is on indefinite hiatus presumably. the LP was a true grower and something of a curio, if the band is over. I liked the EP from the start.
    I liked both EPs, but Welcome Oblivion was what really impressed me. Although I LOVED the video for The Space in Between. That video is amazing. I agree though, if this band does release more material or tour again, I think the lineup is likely to be slightly different. I feel like Rob will be absent, but I hope he returns to NIN or HTDA at some point in the future. Maybe for a 10-year anniversary edition of The Slip or Ghosts?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also, does the soundtrack work render obsolete any future Ghosts releases? Ghosts really opened that door, and maybe future volumes are unnecessary. Reznor's quote about the '80 tracks' they've worked on, you'd think they could scrape together a Ghosts release, but they were all just practice tracks. At any rate, HTDA was underrated. Cheers

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Reznor's quote about the '80 tracks' they've worked on, you'd think they could scrape together a Ghosts release, but they were all just practice tracks.
    Yeah, it would be a shame if 80 (!!!) tracks were just thrown away. They might not meet his standards, but I bet it's still awesome. I'm sure mostly everyone here would be interested in hearing it too.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 06-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There's a good chance some of those unreleased ghosts tracks might have been recycled into some of their score work.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Also, does the soundtrack work render obsolete any future Ghosts releases? Ghosts really opened that door, and maybe future volumes are unnecessary. Reznor's quote about the '80 tracks' they've worked on, you'd think they could scrape together a Ghosts release, but they were all just practice tracks. At any rate, HTDA was underrated. Cheers
    I would say that Ghosts definitely evolved into their score work. I can't really see them doing another Ghosts album if score composition fulfills that need, but never say never with Trent and Atticus.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'd like to hear more tracks that are a proper showcase for Mariqueen's voice – "Ice Age," "How Long," and "A Drowning" were great tracks that allowed her to shine more than some of the more spoken-word/incantation-style tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'd like something along the lines of "Is Your Love Strong Enough" the dynamics of the vocals and music are incredible. Of course, How Long, A Drowning and Ice Age are good examples to go by. I don't mind the linear, noisier tracks, but I want an entire album using that epic-ness style.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sigil 5: New HTDA speculations

Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I'd like something along the lines of "Is Your Love Strong Enough" the dynamics of the vocals and music are incredible. Of course, How Long, A Drowning and Ice Age are good examples to go by. I don't mind the linear, noisier tracks, but I want an entire album using that epic-ness style.
    I really like that cover but Bryan Ferry would have to co-write for Sigil 5.

Edit: Trent (& co.) is seriously talented at covers, all the way back to Get Down Make Love. Considering the myriad bad covers out there in the world, this is another rare talent.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 09-26-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I really like that cover but Bryan Ferry would have to co-write for Sigil 5.

Edit: Trent (& co.) is seriously talented at covers, all the way back to Get Down Make Love. Considering the myriad bad covers out there in the world, this is another rare talent.
    You know how bad his pre-NIN covers were though? English language version of Der Kommisar is the best worst thing

(also, Atticus' cover of Homicide with Error is phenomenal)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    You know how bad his pre-NIN covers were though? English language version of Der Kommisar is the best worst thing

what? The eyes without a face cover is great

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

haha, I've tried to avoid as much pre-NIN Trent as possible, just out of an instinct for preserving my awe and ... after hearing this it seems like my instinct was correct!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

I can't help but like that cover. It's in my iTunes library and every once in a great while, it comes on randomly and makes me laugh, but I usually let it play all the way through. It's so cheesy and so '80s, but it's a guilty pleasure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Anyone who doesn't like it probably had no intention of doing so to begin with..
    That is a bold statement. Right up there with saying "Anyone who likes those vocals only likes them because it is TRs wife".

I have taken a good few listens to HDTA lately, and each time with the earnest intention of trying to like it. I can't quite put my finger on why it is exactly, but the fact that I don't find the vocals very compelling is likely to be part of it. But that is not all. I also don't find the music itself very memorable. She is not a bad vocalist by any means either, and I will surely check out any new stuff they put out under the name, but for now, it isn't for me.

I only checked it out in the first place because it involved TR. I doubt I am alone in that regard. While we are at it, does anybody know of anybody who got into TRs work first through HDTA? Without being aware of NIN at all, I mean.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    While we are at it, does anybody know of anybody who got into TRs work first through HDTA? Without being aware of NIN at all, I mean.
    It's possible, but they'd have to be in their pre-teenaged years now to have grown up avoiding any encounter with NIN at all.