Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Oblivion Remix Contest

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Welcome Oblivion Remix Contest

https://beta.indabamusic.com/opportu...-remix-contest

On The Wing, How Long?, and Strings and Attractors available for remixing.

The 'advance pack' downloads have extras that seem to be outtakes/demo material for each song, which is pretty neat.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I can't get the fucking thing to download (not that I remix, I'm just really, really OCD) - anyone got a hotlink that doesn't require me crashing facebook?

Also, the idea of TR doing a competition that actually ends with an actual winner is hilarious.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Indabamusic.com would like access to your email, facebook profile, friends and would like to post on facebook on your behalf.. fuck.that.shit.

Better off signing up to Indabamusic instead.

Not that i've got the time to remix them but i've always wanted to hear 'How Long' in instrumental form.
    Last edited by Reaps; 05-02-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I was hoping this would happen after they mentioned Indaba on their AMA. Have to wonder if it was already a go or if they really didn't know much about it at the time.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    you dont need to use your FB if you just create a regular account

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Indabamusic.com would like access to your email, facebook profile, friends and would like to post on facebook on your behalf.. fuck.that.shit.
    The only thing I needed to give them to have an account was my email. Just don't log in using facebook - they'll let you create a "local" account.

Edit: Er, which I see you actually already mentioned. I fail.

Anyway, there's definitely some fun stuff in there; I'm looking forward to hearing what people create with all this!
    Last edited by xolotl; 05-02-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Well I managed to get the files through a friend - anyone who knows anything about anything know if the "extra" bits can be used to create a track or are they simply out takes?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I may be wrong (I've only listened to a few of the tracks), but I think the advanced pack is just the song broken up into more parts so that you can really experiment with it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I may be wrong (I've only listened to a few of the tracks), but I think the advanced pack is just the song broken up into more parts so that you can really experiment with it.
    On the Wing and Strings+Attractors also have an "extras" folder of extra stuff. I didn't take more than a cursory look at them, but they're not just extra multitrack components; their lengths are different from the rest of the tracks, and can't be just played on top of the main components. So yeah, it's extra stuff of one sort or another.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    damn, i used up all of download contest points on Indaba... anyone able to PM How Long? and String & Attractors? i got On The Wing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    On the Wing and Strings+Attractors also have an "extras" folder of extra stuff. I didn't take more than a cursory look at them, but they're not just extra multitrack components; their lengths are different from the rest of the tracks, and can't be just played on top of the main components. So yeah, it's extra stuff of one sort or another.
    They seem to be demo/idea tracks which are pretty neat to listen to. Example: "TR_Idea 2.01_02" in the Strings and Attractors extras is an 18 minute file that's basically Trent messing around with an idea before it resulted in the "Pitch Machine 1 Stem" track. It has lots and lots of variations of that stem; people can easily cut portions of it and utilize it for remix means.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pushingreality View Post
    They seem to be demo/idea tracks which are pretty neat to listen to. Example: "TR_Idea 2.01_02" in the Strings and Attractors extras is an 18 minute file that's basically Trent messing around with an idea before it resulted in the "Pitch Machine 1 Stem" track. It has lots and lots of variations of that stem; people can easily cut portions of it and utilize it for remix means.
    Sick. SICK.

So glad they put that there.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Why not "The loop closes"? WHY NOT?!

I'd take a crack at "On the wing" but I've a project due the week before the deadline and I only have access to Logic during the working week. Here's hoping someone else on here will take away the prize.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Looking forward to putting something together for these, even if just for fun. While waiting for one of the advanced packs to download, I read through the entire legal terms text. Two things stuck out:

1) By submitting, you forfeit all rights and claims to the work. This is probably standard, and I can see why they require that, but it's worth noting.
    2) The judging criteria is as follows: Originality (0-25 points), Creativity (0-25 points), Concept (0-25 points), and Musicality (0-25 points)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    So what's the rule about posting our entries here? Obviously flooding the thread with posts isn't going to happen, but are we allowed to post a link to them if we submitted a remix?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    So what's the rule about posting our entries here? Obviously flooding the thread with posts isn't going to happen, but are we allowed to post a link to them if we submitted a remix?
    You can link to your submission. In fact, that's encouraged if you want to get Facebook votes. What you aren't supposed to do is also post your submission to soundcloud or some other host.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    https://soundcloud.com/howtodestroya...sonoio/s-N91ql

Alessandro had a go at the Spaces In Between. Sounds great.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Is this the first time Trent has offered 24/48 multitracks? I can't remember about the soundtracks, but the YZ, Ghosts, Saul Williams and Slip multitracks were in 16/44, I think.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Surprised Ice Age wasn't one of them ones chosen, still it's nice having multitracks to toy with (though I don't plan to make anything further than some stripped down versions that just focus on vocals)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Here's my remix for On The Wing. Threw it together in an hour just for the hell of it, so I'm not expecting to win or even be a runner up.

http://indaba.us/q7QE

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Where are the advanced packs located? I only got the multitracks without the extras.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Just below the individual stem buttons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Never messed around with the remix stuff b4, what software do you use to mix everything? I have cool edit pro but I think I need something else

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downward View Post
    Never messed around with the remix stuff b4, what software do you use to mix everything? I have cool edit pro but I think I need something else
    You typically used a digital audio workstation (DAW). Depends on your computer platform and what kind of effects you want to play with. Mac uses get Garageband for free or you can upgrade to Logic, which is aimed at professionals. In terms of free and cross-platform, there is Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) on the simple end to more powerful DAW tools like Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/). Reaper nags you to buy a license, but does not require it and doesn't disable any features if you go past the trial date.

There are of course other commercial DAWs (Ableton Live and Renoise to name a couple), and everyone has their own they tend to swear by. I use Reaper at the moment and find it's more than sufficient for my hobby-level needs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hope every remix has a dubstep drop.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Working on mine.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I'm going for an 8-bit arcade feel for How Long? I've also got some ideas to try for String and Attractors, but nothing really concrete for On the Wing yet.

wip.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    You typically used a digital audio workstation (DAW). Depends on your computer platform and what kind of effects you want to play with. Mac uses get Garageband for free or you can upgrade to Logic, which is aimed at professionals. In terms of free and cross-platform, there is Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) on the simple end to more powerful DAW tools like Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/). Reaper nags you to buy a license, but does not require it and doesn't disable any features if you go past the trial date.

There are of course other commercial DAWs (Ableton Live and Renoise to name a couple), and everyone has their own they tend to swear by. I use Reaper at the moment and find it's more than sufficient for my hobby-level needs.
    Thanks for the info !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just posted my remix for "How Long?". Didn't stray too far away from the original, not in my opinion at least. I will try to make remixes for the other tracks as well.

http://indaba.us/r7rg

Good luck to everyone else who decides to participate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's my stab at it...give it a listen if you like it....vote for it...thanks

http://api.awe.sm/url/share?campaign...&errors=false&