Page 58 of 147 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 4404

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @Jinsai , please, forget it. He's a fucking troll. Nothing more. It's futile trying to discuss anything with a troll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FBI Director James Comey testifies to Congress that there is an active investigation into Russian interference in the election, Trump ties to Russia, and that the investigation has been ongoing since JULY. Also that there is no evidence to Trump's wiretapping claims.

The FBI rarely comments on ongoing investigations, to the point of not even acknowledging the existence of such a thing. That this bombshell of an announcement is happening in a PUBLIC hearing is crazy. Makes you wonder what else Comey would be able to divulge in a closed hearing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/u...ald-trump.html

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i gong to follow John
    Oliver's lead and just respond with "Zebra"
    -Louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i think everyone should read this https://www.usconstitution.net/constfaq_q127.html
    -louie

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Spicy is losing it. Now claims that Paul Manafort only played limited role in Trump's campaign.
    Yeah ... I mean Manafort was only the campaign's chairman for half of 2016.

Where there's smoke ... there's fire.

I think it's just a question of time before the FBI finds evidence of collusion between the Trump Campaign and Russia.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I wasn't talking about "some of these points." I was talking about MoW and nothing more. It was one of the loudest headlines being pushed to discuss the cuts. It was an emotional appeal that mislead everyone. When pointed out, everyone doubled down on it.
    You aren't hearing the point that people are making. The larger issue relates to priorities when it comes to balancing a budget. The rationale behind these cuts is to ostensibly curb unnecessary spending, and the nature of the programs that are being targeted for defunding matters in the context of this administration's agenda. MoW could pull in a measly three dollars a year from federal funding - the point would be even clearer then.

"What's this Meals on Wheels shit? Oh, we're spending three dollars a year on it? Well, gut that shit, we need to build a 25 billion dollar border wall."
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-20-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I have made a horrible mistake looking at this thread again

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i think he i getting scared his approval rating is i the toilet sharks are starting to circle, their is plenty of blood in the water, all the outragous promises are failing flat, soon his only supporters will be Hanninity fox& friends and Alex Jones, good luck with that I'll be here laughing and not with you
    -Louie

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    You voted for a war hawk who wouldn't have reduced mil spending.
    You make it sound like she was my first choice. Trump is proposing a 54 billion dollar increase in military spending. You think I wouldn't be pissed at Clinton if she proposed that as president, and then justified the increase by cutting funding for the programs he's been targeting? Give me a fucking break.

That's a whole lot of opportunity cost. Do I even need to talk about Obama? All the "let's stop spending on mil" voices of the left magically vanished under Obama.

Obama was criticized for cuts in military spending

And if your rebuttal is "but the cut and boost happened at the same time with Trump" then you have little understanding of how financial opportunity cost works.
    Well, since I didn't say that was the problem, and I was pretty clear what my issue was, what the fuck are you talking about?

Speaking of financial opportunity cost... are you suddenly a financial conservative? Have you been railing against the biggest financial opportunity costs: the growing debt because of the perpetual deficit. Who do you think gets to suffer the consequences of paying that off?
    ME: This is a fucking stupid way to balance the budget.
    YOU: What, are you suddenly a financial conservative!!!!?

Anyway, this all demonstrates exactly why valuable programs shouldn't be funded in this way. They shouldn't rely on forced altruism through the volatility of federal politics. Also, MoW has seen such a spike in donations and volunteer requests that they can't keep up. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a37d57593c6d
    Here we get back to your central point about why everything is an example of why libertarian bullshit is the way to go. "Oh, see, they're getting charitable donations! There's the evidence that this organization should be funded by charity alone!" Suggesting that charitable response to an organization being gutted is proof positive that it's the correct working model is like saying that boycotting something is the best route to avoiding led winding up in your kid's cereal.

Yeah. Planned Parenthood too. 40 fold increase since the election: http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/12/plan...-election.html
    And if someone is stabbed, they might be able to raise money for their recovery with a go fund me page... That doesn't mean that you should try to get stabbed as a way to raise money.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    While the Dems are on a 24hr spergfest over Russia, Sanders has been converting Trump supporters into seeing the light of universal healthcare. God bless him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The hell is going on here.... electronics being banned from carry on in certain flights? What shenanigans is Trump initiating now.

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...-flights-to-us
    cutting edge surveillance gear test runs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Why ban certain electronics like dvd players and laptops but still allow cell phones?

On another topic, if Comey knew about the Trump Russia connection possibility why release that shit about Hillary's emails?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 03-21-2017 at 03:00 AM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Why ban certain electronics like dvd players and laptops but still allow cell phones?

On another topic, if Comey knew about the Trump Russia connection possibility why release that shit about Hillary's emails?
    This is why I am not getting my hopes up for this investigation actually leading anywhere. Comey is a republican. Republicans have shown themselves to be party (and greed) over country. This investigation is happening due to public outcry and Trump's loud mouth. Comey is covering his own ass.

I really have no faith in this leading to Trump's fall despite the growing mound of evidence of take your pick--Russia, business conflicts, gross incompetence....I could go on, but why?

We have to endure two years and vote these evil greedy GOP fucks out in 2018. That's step one.
    Last edited by Swykk; 03-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post

In the BBC article on it, they worded it as something like "anything larger than a cell phone" - that makes it sound like they're concerned about a certain quantity of explosives, rather than a particular type of device. They're probably screening every piece of checked luggage to make sure that all checked electronics are safe. But it does seem curious that the one device with the largest number of radios in it (i.e, a giant universal remote) would be the one you're still allowed to carry with you. That's the thing with intel-based bans...say too much and you could be giving something away, but don't say enough and people are going to have an awful lot of questions.

On your other topic, I'm going with "because Comey isn't a Democrat".

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    is he tied of winning yet? https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...440_story.html
    -Louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 03-21-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'm always down for some Douglas Adams, but I in no way want to associate it with the voice of Ted Cruz.

Entertaining side note/theory that's been tossed around... that besides being best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's books, Douglas Adams was a computer coder. To have the Deep Thought computer spit out 42 as the answer to life, the universe, and everything is possibly an inside joke or Easter egg. In older programming language, asterisk substitutes for the value "anything you want it to be," and in ASCII, the designation for an asterisk is 42.

The meaning of life, the universe, and everything is "anything you want it to be."

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

edit: but Adams has gone on record saying that there is no hidden meaning.
    I'd never heard that... I'd heard that it was possibly a tribute to the strange recurrent usage of it in the Alice books, and this computer code thing is entertaining, but I'd not heard him go on record saying that there was nothing to it

Either way, I wonder if Ted Cruz would still be such a big fan and go around quoting the parts about the meaning of everything if he knew Adams was a self-described "radical atheist"
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-21-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    unless its a fear of something like the lithium batteries? Those aren't going to instantly blow a hole in the plane, but they will start nasty fires and dump tons of really toxic smoke. I guess that would be much less of an issue if it were not inside the cabin.
    Funny...guess what the FAA doesn't want in checked baggage? Lithium-ion batteries.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    no health care markets are tanking can we call him a failure yet?
    -louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    whoa, holy crap!!! http://abcnews.go.com/US/story-fbi-w...ry?id=46266198

Edit: Dianne Feinstein is making me nuts with her stupid general questions to Judge Gorsuch. She never studied law AND IT SHOWS. Wtf.

For the record on the Frozen Fired Truck Driver case: Justices don't form opinions based on "right or wrong" (that's subjective), they only rule on FACTS and LAW. Maybe there SHOULD be a law for frozen truckers and employment but there isn't in that state and the role of the Court is to INTERPRET LAW, not to create law.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-22-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Funny...guess what the FAA doesn't want in checked baggage? Lithium-ion batteries.
    But it says this? SPARE (loose) batteries not allowed but batteries IN an electronic item are okay.

What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in checked baggage (including gate-checked bags)?

A2. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also
    allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered
    devices—particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up—must be protected from accidental activation. Spare
    lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage—this includes external battery packs. Electronic
    cigarettes and vaporizers are also prohibited in checked baggage. “Checked baggage” includes bags checked at the gate or planeside.
    I have this weird feeling that the reason they are requiring laptops to be checked is so the government can search the contents of said laptops, etc.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-22-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'd never heard that... I'd heard that it was possibly a tribute to the strange recurrent usage of it in the Alice books, and this computer code thing is entertaining, but I'd not heard him go on record saying that there was nothing to it
    See this.

Many theories were proposed, including that 42 is 101010 in binary code, that light refracts off water by 42 degrees to create a rainbow, that light requires 10−42 seconds to cross the diameter of a proton. The author Douglas Adams rejected them all. He was quoted as saying - "The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base 13, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story."

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    this whole ban on electronic devices "larger than a cell phone" is bizarre and stupid.

Guys, if someone wanted to actually detonate a device on a plane, which I assume is the concern here, we've seen in the past that people can "team up" to do this shit. Additionally, anyone who has two brain cells to rub together knows that you can connect things to form a larger functioning device. I mean... this is some Looney Tunes logic.

For the record on the Frozen Fired Truck Driver case: Justices don't form opinions based on "right or wrong" (that's subjective), they only rule on FACTS and LAW. Maybe there SHOULD be a law for frozen truckers and employment but there isn't in that state and the role of the Court is to INTERPRET LAW, not to create law.
    I hate to say it, but I'm warming up to Gorsuch, if only just because the grilling has been largely so fucking inane. What the fuck was up with that question about whether or not he'd be opposed to a female president, since his stance as a constitutional literalist might interpret the designation of "he/his" as barring a female nominee for the candidacy? That was the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever heard. I don't know why the room didn't erupt into laughter.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-22-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    this whole ban on electronic devices "larger than a cell phone" is bizarre and stupid.

Guys, if someone wanted to actually detonate a device on a plane, which I assume is the concern here, we've seen in the past that people can "team up" to do this shit. Additionally, anyone who has two brain cells to rub together knows that you can connect things to form a larger functioning device. I mean... this is some Looney Tunes logic.
    The government will not say why they are doing this, but inside sources indicate that it is in direct response to a "threat" related to said items, and they won't say what (probably because that would be a dumb idea). It appears that this is all in response to a direct threat that was stopped, but no intel will be released. We are guessing at bombs but not sure if that's what they are looking for; again, they could just be rummaging through laptops, no right to privacy. We also don't know what kind of bomb-sniffing is being done at the checked level. We can't TOTALLY prevent this, but attempting is better than not?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    The government will not say why they are doing this, but inside sources indicate that it is in direct response to a "threat" related to said items, and they won't say what (probably because that would be a dumb idea). It appears that this is all in response to a direct threat that was stopped, but no intel will be released. We are guessing at bombs but not sure if that's what they are looking for; again, they could just be rummaging through laptops, no right to privacy. We also don't know what kind of bomb-sniffing is being done at the checked level. We can't TOTALLY prevent this, but attempting is better than not?
    I can understand that rationale, and sure, I don't know why they might be doing this specifically. Additionally, true, it's curious that the UK is simultaneously enacting a similar policy right now. I would assume there is some intelligence there that we're not privy to...

That said, I would assume, given that this is a shared concern, that it isn't related to raiding laptops... but who knows. Honestly, maybe I'm giving the bad guys too much credit, but I would think if it was related to data/computer security, they'd know enough about crazy encryption processes which have been streamlined and simplified now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    or maybe because both governments are similarly stupid/paranoid/irrational/superstitious nowadays...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I can understand that rationale, and sure, I don't know why they might be doing this specifically. Additionally, true, it's curious that the UK is simultaneously enacting a similar policy right now. I would assume there is some intelligence there that we're not privy to...

That said, I would assume, given that this is a shared concern, that it isn't related to raiding laptops... but who knows. Honestly, maybe I'm giving the bad guys too much credit, but I would think if it was related to data/computer security, they'd know enough about crazy encryption processes which have been streamlined and simplified now.
    Prior attacks seem to show they're using shit like disposable cell phones and not a whole lot of high-tech shit. They don't appear to be hacker geniuses. Either way, it doesn't affect US so ... it's barely an inconvenience considering the frisking molestation we experience here in the States.

However, see CNN Tech:

Someone can get data off your computer "in seconds" by using a malicious USB device, according to Kolga.
    "Most likely the device will be treated with a keylogger or other kind of implant that will help locate the device (and its holder) at a later stage, enable remote access or at least enable them to monitor device usage," said Erka Koivunen, chief information security officer at F-Secure.
    Next trip I make on vacation, I'm SHIPPING my luggage. Luggage/Carry-ons, now, are such a god damned pain in the ass, they either lose your shit or you're literally battling with people up top for overhead space because nobody wants to pay the exorbitant checked luggage fee (free only to First Class passengers), in addition to all the security shit.

Americans can use that pre-check system, now, to at least avoid a lot of the time-consuming and annoying pre-checks.

My husband is a supervisor at a local executive FAA facility, and there are a SHIT TON of private jets going in and out of there, with REALLY nice flight service operations, complete with spas, dog walking areas, catering, etc. George Lucas and his wife have matching (they never fly together). Us mere mortals fly commercial, the higher-ups completely bypass security by using private planes.

. SEE ALSO.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-22-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    yeah... given that we were talking about Ross Ulbricht earlier, apparently that's how they got him... they had two undercover agents pretend to be a quarreling couple having a huge fight, and when he was sufficiently distracted by the side show, another agent ran in and stuck a USB device into his laptop.

Is anyone following this?

Maybe the dots don't connect... Maybe it's all coincidence... A lawyer due to testify today to argue to continue investigation of a murdered Russian whistleblower was allegedly thrown out of the fourth floor of an apartment building yesterday. He's in critical condition. The Kremlin has said he fell in an accident while trying to help some workers winch up a bathtub installation.

He was also a key witness in a case involving Russian money laundering, regarding a company called Prevezon Holdings... and the US attorney handling "the Prevezon affair" was... Preet Bharara.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    ...and the whole Russia collusion thing just got a lot crazier
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politi...ans0807PMStory