Page 16 of 147 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    ... you realize that's Mexico "paying for the wall" right? Just like a taxpayer funded Voter ID system is "the people paying for voter ID"

tarrifs are taxes
    IF he does that .. did he SAY he was going to do that? Trade tariffs? Which we don't have, yet? Which I don't know if he can even DO via an EO?

If you want me off this board, bud, that's fine. I ain't playing this fucking passive aggressive game with you.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    IF he does that .. did he SAY he was going to do that? Trade tariffs? Which we don't have, yet? Which I don't know if he can even DO via an EO?

If you want me off this board, bud, that's fine. I ain't playing this fucking passive aggressive game with you.
    Except he's right though. Trump's been telling auto workers to make cars here or else pay huge to have them brought across the border. What better way to get Mexico to pay for it than to charge them more to send goods here? We know all about what Trump SAYS; we know next to nothing about what he DOESN'T say. Everyone just seems to take it for granted that he's going to boast about every single thing he does, but... what if he doesn't?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    It's true. It seems completely foreign to have a president actually follow through with his campaign promises. So he gets credit there. Using EO's is still bad, but hey Obama used tons of them.

Also, you have to admit how well our system of governmental change works. If someone told you 20 years ago that a black man would be president and then Donald Trump would be.... you would never believe them. But that shit happened, and it happened without a single drop of blood being spilled. That's the amazing part. No violence. No blood.
    Yet we keep hearing how the democratic process needs a change after this "incident" and brexit. Specially here in Europe, where we like to pretend we have a healthier democratic system, even though we make countries keep voting in referendums till the bureaucrats in Brussels get what they want.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Except he's right though. Trump's been telling auto workers to make cars here or else pay huge to have them brought across the border. What better way to get Mexico to pay for it than to charge them more to send goods here? We know all about what Trump SAYS; we know next to nothing about what he DOESN'T say. Everyone just seems to take it for granted that he's going to boast about every single thing he does, but... what if he doesn't?
    I'm not against tariffs. (Although, a lot of economists are.)

But Trump didn't say tariffs would pay for the wall.

I just did. Guessing that's his "creative" way to get reimbursed. (Trump hasn't said anything other than he will have a "creative" way to get the reimbursement.)

Then Asshole told me what a tariff is.

Mexico won't be giving us a check for the wall, as people are envisioning; tariffs or a VAT would be more likely ("creative").
    Last edited by allegro; 01-25-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm not against tariffs.

But Trump didn't say tariffs would pay for the wall.

I just did. Guessing that's his "creative" way to get reimbursed.

Then Asshole told me what a tariff is.
    I'm not going to get involved in whatever you guys have going on, that's between you two. But the "tariffs" idea is something I've heard more than once from different people, and I'm surprised it's not being considered more seriously.

All I'm saying is that, just like during the election, a lot of people aren't taking Trump seriously, and regardless of his twitter rants, maybe that's how he wanted it all along. I think it's going to be very important for everyone to focus less on what he says, and more on what he actually does.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    A VAT is more likely than a tariff. Economists seem to be more worried about tariffs than a VAT. Trump announces things in stages, for the Big Reveal Suspense.

I always took Trump very seriously.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    A VAT is more likely than a tariff. Economists seem to be more worried about tariffs than a VAT.
    Honestly, I mean "tariff" in a broad sense. My global economics is a bit rusty, so I'm sure there are similar but better ways to accomplish it than just a tariff. A VAT would be just one of those possibilities, I'd imagine.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Also, you have to admit how well our system of governmental change works. If someone told you 20 years ago that a black man would be president and then Donald Trump would be.... you would never believe them. But that shit happened, and it happened without a single drop of blood being spilled. That's the amazing part. No violence. No blood.
    No violence? What about that Starbucks window?!?!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Honestly, I mean "tariff" in a broad sense. My global economics is a bit rusty, so I'm sure there are similar but better ways to accomplish it than just a tariff. A VAT would be just one of those possibilities, I'd imagine.
    The WaPo article that Asshole linked is pretty good ("border adjustment"): https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.8090df80cec9

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    will never get buillt costs logistics, will be a long stretch of nothing to be known as "trumps folly"
    -louie

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    It's refreshing to see a politician to make good on their promises.
    Refreshing?!?! There's a lot of words that come to mind to describe this first week of Trump's fascist kakistocracy, but "refreshing" isn't one of them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    What fascist thing Trump did exactly?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    will never get buillt costs logistics, will be a long stretch of nothing to be known as "trumps folly"
    -louie
    The next Bridge to Nowhere?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    think he should get Russia to pay for the investigation. While they are investigating, maybe they can find the 1.3 million invisible people at the inauguration.
    -louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    how abou thegaggingorder onthe EPA,deletingclimate changedataneed more examples
    -louie

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    how abou thegaggingorder onthe EPA
    For one, this isn't permanent. For another, it only limits press information, not scientific journals and articles.

deleting climate change data
    Removing it from the website (which, again, we don't know if it's permanent or not) isn't deleting that data from existence or censoring it across the entire internet. You are reaching very, very far here.

need more examples
    Some RELEVANT examples would help, yes, because none of the above is fascism at all. It's underhanded and probably bordering on (if not indeed) unethical, but not fascist.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    All I'm saying is that, just like during the election, a lot of people aren't taking Trump seriously, and regardless of his twitter rants, maybe that's how he wanted it all along. I think it's going to be very important for everyone to focus less on what he says, and more on what he actually does.
    He's doing what he said he would, though.

I don't understand how people are acting as though Trump is playing 4D chess. He's old, boorish and lacks the capacity to empathize with society at large since he's been able to get by his entire life without that trait. Top this off with the fact that we may be seeing him develop dementia in real time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well, he's banning entry of any Muslim who happens to be from any of the countries that the United States happens to be bombing the shit out of atm. Exceptions made for anyone from those countries who are of a persecuted religious minority LOLJK I mean Christian.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    That's sort of my point, though. Trump says all sorts of things, and a lot of it is just blowing hot air. But when it comes down to getting things done... he's really getting things done, whether anyone likes it or not. I'm the last person to try and make some sort of absurd claim that the man is somehow a genius, but one thing he does know is how to manipulate people's emotional centers in a way that makes it nearly impossible for them to focus on what he's actually doing. He's still a successful businessman after all is said and done, and bait-and-switch misdirection tactics are the everyday reality of corporate shark tank culture.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Gagging and demonizing the free press for reporting news that he deems unfavorable out of spite, and smearing any criticism with the insinuation that the outlet is "fake" or not legitimate. Pathological and intentional distortion of the truth, especially in matters regarding his stature, authority, and personal greatness. Ordering the EPA, government employed scientists, and national parks to censor their communications with the public, press, and social media. Rallying his supporters around xenophobic scaremongering and demonizing of the "other" while projecting jingoistic appeals to hyper-nationalism. Glorifying masculinity by aligning with alt-right propagandists who codify their language to mock opposition for lacking in manliness. Appealing to the notion of a lost "golden era" and hyperbolically bemoaning the broken, destitute state of the country - condensed into his campaign slogan. His endorsement of torture techniques, "going after the families," "kick their ass," "make our military so strong nobody will mess with us," and "bomb the shit out of them" project strength through violence and force. Speaking to outlets, critics, and politicians in a lecturing but threatening tone. Assigning people to positions of power that have conflicts of interest with corporate entities. Framing himself as a victim of persecution from the elite (ironically) and a corrupt political system that is united against him, whereas he is the only answer that can save the country from sure destruction. He endears himself as an outsider voice of the downtrodden common man, bolstering his candidacy by referencing his success as a business man beholden to no one as an iconic cult leader. Framing his campaign in a theatrical, ostentatious showboating manner. Shaming and purging political players that he perceives as disloyal. Defining his campaign as a movement. Nationalistic praise of the military. Defending authoritarian overreach by the police in a manner that denotes patriotic pride. Insisting upon absolute hyper-loyalty to the state as a leading priority. Did you catch his scaremongering hyper-nationalist inauguration speech? Really, "American carnage?" Questioning the authority of the law to assess him fairly due to him being persecuted and treated with bias. Use of superlative rhetoric to either demonize or glorify everything.

Some of those things there are just aspects that note a characteristic similarity when taking in the full picture of this administration, but some would be conventional and visible in other political groups when isolated. Really though, the most damning hallmark, and the only one you'd need to answer your question, is the silencing/delegitimizing of the press and the gag order for all government agencies.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    But our founding fathers never foresaw the need for Photo IDs when voting. That ain't in the Constitution.
    prooobably because they bound voting rights to property ownership.
    proooobably because photographs literally did not exist then.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Guys, the wall it's a pretty stupid idea, it won't stop illegal immigration, and it will run your country quite the bill, leaving you in huge debt (legally speaking, from what I've read, it'll be REALLY HARD for the US to 'make' Mexico pay for the wall):

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Trump won't last. Time will feed upon his weaknesses, and soon he'll lose the will to care. And when he returns to that place that he calls home, we will be there. We will be there.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    proooobably because photographs literally did not exist then.
    Neither did AR-15s but the NRA still thinks our founding fathers intuited civilian need for them.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Guys, the wall it's a pretty stupid idea, it won't stop illegal immigration, and it will run your country quite the bill, leaving you in huge debt (legally speaking, from what I've read, it'll be REALLY HARD for the US to 'make' Mexico pay for the wall).
    It won't be a wall, it's a double fence with razor wires and cameras (a modern wall with technology) that will cost billions, but you should read that WaPo article. Interesting stuff.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That's sort of my point, though. Trump says all sorts of things, and a lot of it is just blowing hot air. But when it comes down to getting things done... he's really getting things done, whether anyone likes it or not. I'm the last person to try and make some sort of absurd claim that the man is somehow a genius, but one thing he does know is how to manipulate people's emotional centers in a way that makes it nearly impossible for them to focus on what he's actually doing. He's still a successful businessman after all is said and done, and bait-and-switch misdirection tactics are the everyday reality of corporate shark tank culture.
    Not in commercial real estate development. Which is primarily what he does. Commercial real estate is not shark tank. Trust me. Been in it for nearly 30 years.

Trump ain't bait and switch or slight of hand. Sometimes he buys time with total bullshit that never materializes ("I will provide the answer to how we will wipe out ISIS." When? "Next Tuesday." Tuesday comes and goes, nothing). Sometimes he has a "plan" but he won't share it so nobody will steal his plan, so he rolls it out in installments. That's TV Ratings Trump; wait for the commercial, milk it for several episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    He's doing what he said he would, though.

I don't understand how people are acting as though Trump is playing 4D chess. He's old, boorish and lacks the capacity to empathize with society at large since he's been able to get by his entire life without that trait. Top this off with the fact that we may be seeing him develop dementia in real time.
    This. This this this.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-25-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    it's his daddies money he did nothing on his own nothing
    -louie

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Anybody watching this ABC interview? Christ.