Page 30 of 147 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 130 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Well, this UC Berkeley protest is a nightmare. And from what I've heard, the UCPD were told to stand down. I've seen a person beat with what looked like a shovel, someone beat with multiple flag poles, businesses broken into and even attempted arson (they're breaking into Starbucks now), some Woman maced directly in the face. Someone's going to get killed.

edit: The periscoper I was watching was approached by a few people, and they told him "Put that camera down, or we'll make you put that camera down."
    Then it seems like his camera was hit by something and the stream died. Hope he's okay.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 02-01-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Rules are rules
    Fuck rules, kill Iran

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's a Bill introduced by a US Representative. They introduce dumb Bills every day. The vast majority go nowhere then die. There's nothing against the rules by introducing a Bill.

See also.

Trump put Iran "on notice" today.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-01-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    a heads-up: BandCamp will be donating all proceeds from this Friday to the ACLU

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/o...olen-seat.html

Why is it a stolen seat? Looks like the Republicans legally blocked Garland - otherwise it seems to me there would have been some challenge beyond merely complaining about it.
    I'd call it a stolen seat because the republicans fucking quit their jobs. I don't know the full legal proceedings, but they literally said "we refuse to go along with this" for a fucking year.

I truly believe the primary reason that the left didn't complain about it more was because they were so fucking arrogant that they never thought for a second that someone other than Clinton could be the one making the pick. I think they all thought "fine, we'll just wait until we've got the Oval Office, then we'll push the pick".

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't want to hear anyone sounding "surprised" when she gets confirmed. She's got the votes, but I swear all of my friends are acting like she's going to be blocked and a lot of media outlets are saying she's in "dangerous" territory. No, she isn't.
    From all accounts, she's going to end up with 50-50 and Pence is gonna push her through.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Yemen raid by SEAL approved by Trump without sufficient ground intelligence.

Obama had a pretty bad track records with his drone strikes. Not a good start for Trump.

"As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced Al Qaeda base in Yemen defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger than expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists, according to Reuters."
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 02-02-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'd call it a stolen seat because the republicans fucking quit their jobs. I don't know the full legal proceedings, but they literally said "we refuse to go along with this" for a fucking year.

I truly believe the primary reason that the left didn't complain about it more was because they were so fucking arrogant that they never thought for a second that someone other than Clinton could be the one making the pick. I think they all thought "fine, we'll just wait until we've got the Oval Office, then we'll push the pick".
    The left complained about it A LOT! That video of Warren on the Senate floor telling the Republicans, "DO. YOUR. JOB!" spread like wildfire. But, the Dems couldn't DO anything about it, because they were an even WORSE minority in the Senate, then. The Senate Judicial Committee is Republican majority, too (because they hold a majority in the Senate) and the Constitution provides that the Senate shall "advise and confirm" relative to a a SCOTUS justice so the Republicans knew they would deny the confirmation and then send it to a Senate vote where it would be overwhelmingly denied so they just didn't bother.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    us relaxes sanctions on rus

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...sgnp-Q.twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Oh, how WONDERFUL. Wow. Just what higher ed asked for. I'm sure he'll provide some quality guidance for us. Jesus.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    and now T switches to rhetorical questions? to make his decisions appear as the will of the "people"? outright fascistic.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Okay, Trump + Black History Month = SMFH

What a MORON. Seriously, has he been so high up in an ivory tower that he doesn't know that VOLUMES of books have been written about Frederic Douglass, including a few of his own, and that Douglass has been DEAD for over 100 years?

“I am very proud now that we have a museum on the National Mall where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things, Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is getting recognized more and more, I notice."

This is typical Trump speak bullshit around a topic, always bringing it back to himself:

“Last month we celebrated the life Reverend Martin Luther King Jr., whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Martin Luther King when somebody said I took a statue out of my office. And it turned out that that was fake news. The statue is cherished. It’s one of the favorite things—and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King.”

And we have a JANITOR, too! In the White House. Which I now own, and I must say, our decorating, which includes gold-leafing everything, even the toilets, is going just great, just great. You will see it, soon, I'm sure, the media will talk about how I'm an really innovative for gold-leafing the entire White House including Lincoln's bedroom, it's just phenomenal. And so is Black History Month. Which is about black people, but also many people, many many people, including people out there who voted for me, some people, maybe not, but that's okay, and CNN, they say things, many many things, and it's so unfair, so so unfair, lies, all lies, fake news, it's fake news. But, yes, Black History Month, this is very very good, and we will do so many things.

Last edited by allegro; 02-02-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    relentless resistance
    -louie

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I have to stop reading US news for a while. It's just too much non-sense.

From Session wanting to double down on the failed war on drugs to the new Executive Order on Freedom of Religion basically allowing all forms of discrimination under the guise of religion beliefs, I'm just sympathizing with you for the shitty 4 years ahead.
    At this point, why not start a war with Iran ...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    how they manage to twist the shit out of the usa is flabbergasting

and depressing

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm trying to remain optimistic that the ultimate victim of this will be the Republican party more than, well, everybody else. This is affecting me personally, and I really shouldn't let it. The majority of my family voted for him, and there was ample reason to do so from their perspective. And even if, at the end of all this, they stand by their choice I will still love them.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I will study this dumb deal!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I usually dislike the Chicago Tribune columnist John Kass, but his column today is pretty good, I think:

Supreme Court fight: Elections, consequences

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Regarding said SCOTUS appointee:

In 1992, with a Republican president and a Democratic Senate, Judiciary Chairman Biden said that “once the political season is underway, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over. That is what is fair to the nominee and essential to the process.”

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Innnnnnnnteresting. Given the circumstances, even as a staunch Biden supporter, I wonder about the authenticity of his 2016 claim that the 1992 speech was being "misinterpreted". Granted, it's always possible that people twist words. And people can certainly change their views on things over the course of 24 years. But, given the context under which the two viewpoints were made, it certainly seems plausible that it was political self-interest that was being expressed each time. Frankly, I just don't know what to believe in this case - not that it matters, I suppose.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Innnnnnnnteresting. Given the circumstances, even as a staunch Biden supporter, I wonder about the authenticity of his 2016 claim that the 1992 speech was being "misinterpreted". Granted, it's always possible that people twist words. And people can certainly change their views on things over the course of 24 years. But, given the context under which the two viewpoints were made, it certainly seems plausible that it was political self-interest that was being expressed each time. Frankly, I just don't know what to believe in this case - not that it matters, I suppose.
    His speech (video), the whole thing, is right there on the CSPAN video on that page, he was the Chairman of the Senate Judiary Committee for many years, I don't see how his speech and actions could possibly be misinterpreted even when the whole speech is there and knowing the context. Ain't no word-twisting, it was just the Dems using the same tactics that the Republicans later used.

Each time the Dems pull something for their own benefit ("going nuclear") they are "surprised" when the Republicans use the same tactic or utilize the loophole that the Dems created. They need to stop creating this precedent.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-02-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Well... Today has been a nightmare and a half... Mistakenly accusing Iran of attacks, and ending the statement with a threat... Protecting the tax exempt status for politically outspoken churches... Threats to UC Berkely for cancelling Milo's appearance... Can he please take a vacation already?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I follow Pete Souza (former WH photographer) on Instagram and WOW this made me cry:

https://instagram.com/p/BP59BXuhFiT/

Bring back Obama, waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I thought Trump said he was going to focus on America and not get involved in foreign wars? Now Bannon is talking about inevitable war?
    https://qz.com/900919/trump-adviser-...uth-china-sea/

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    but hey, let's piss off Australia while we're at it!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5401316bdff2

Donald Trump just told Australia "You're fired!"
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-03-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Where are the Lee Harvey Oswalds of the world?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    HAHAHA, did you guys catch the part where I guess Trump threatened the President of Mexico that he'd send the military down his way to take care of the "bad hombres"? Good stuff.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    HAHAHA, did you guys catch the part where I guess Trump threatened the President of Mexico that he'd send the military down his way to take care of the "bad hombres"? Good stuff.
    shit.... just... HOW is anyone ok with what is happening?