Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Immigrant Concentration Camps

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Immigrant Concentration Camps

Last edited by Baphomette; 07-25-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    well done on calling them camps, they have some creepy euphemistic term here in the UK

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Horrible, just horrible, and shameful indeed. We should have OPEN IMMIGRATION in this country; let people quickly and easily become citizens and let them get jobs and become taxpaying contributing citizens, LIKE THEY WANT.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Horrible, just horrible, and shameful indeed. We should have OPEN IMMIGRATION in this country; let people quickly and easily become citizens and let them get jobs and become taxpaying contributing citizens, LIKE THEY WANT.
    What a lot of people don't realize is that, in some cases, undocumented immigrants pay MORE taxes than the average citizen. For example, a worker using a false SS will typically not file for a refund, money that then goes into the SSA's "suspense file" and gathers interest until it's eventually claimed by the SSA. Combined with state and local taxes, undocumented immigrants pay about $11.8 BILLION in taxes per year.

Even those who earn under-the-table wages pay taxes. Buy something in a store? Sales tax. Purchase gas? Gas tax. Utility taxes, property taxes... These are things you CANNOT dodge. People who insist immigrants pay zero taxes are blathering assholes.

The economic contribution made by undocumented workers is another thing that is often overlooked A 2012 report by the USDA found that "over the past 15 years, about half of the hired workers employed in U.S. crop agriculture were unauthorized, with the overwhelming majority of these workers coming from Mexico." Growers and labor unions estimate it's more like 70 percent. And that's just in the agriculture industry. Tack on the contributions made by workers in the manufacturing, construction and service industries as well as all the income generated by their spending and you're looking at a contribution of a low-end estimate of $1 TRILLION over 10 years from undocumented workers alone.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 06-28-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    What a lot of people don't realize is that, in some cases, undocumented immigrants pay MORE taxes than the average citizen.
    For example, a worker using a false SS will typically not file for a refund, money that then goes into the SSA's "suspense file" and gathers interest until it's eventually claimed by the SSA. Combined with state and local taxes, undocumented immigrants pay about $11.8 BILLION in taxes per year.
    Even those who earn under-the-table wages pay taxes. Buy something in a store? Sales tax. Purchase gas? Gas tax. Utility taxes, property taxes... These are things you CANNOT dodge. People who insist immigrants pay zero taxes are blathering assholes.
    Yup, I know that. And we could get a lot more income taxes if all these people were American citizens! We need more income taxes! We need more real legal American citizens! We have to stop locking our doors and borders and let these people, all people, become citizens! Not just the "chosen" people from "chosen" countries.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-28-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    And we could get a lot more income taxes
    Not a math person but I'd think that the low wages/production output offsets income taxes. Am I wrong?

We have to stop locking our doors and borders and let these people, all people, become citizens! Not just the "chosen" people from "chosen" countries.
    Hell, I'm for all out amnesty for everyone but Canadians.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Not a math person but I'd think that the low wages/production output offsets income taxes. Am I wrong?
    Well, it might in the beginning if they are low income but why are we assuming they'd all remain low income? That's not the case with immigrants from other areas of the world, for sure. If they learn English, if Sanders' plan for free state college goes through (O'Malley also wants free college for immigrants), then I think an upwardly-mobile path and the "American Dream" of a higher income out of poverty can be achieved so that a person can provide for the family, pay taxes, perhaps someday own a home, all of the things every other person in the country wants. That's why people COME TO THIS COUNTRY.

Canada has open immigration!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    moving here to avoid derailment

Ohhhhhhhh... Prison vs. camp, the latter being too euphemistic?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    moving here to avoid derailment

Ohhhhhhhh... Prison vs. camp, the latter being too euphemistic?
    The latter depicting images of this:

I had an ex-boss who went to Federal prison and he and his wife would jokingly refer to it as "camp" while he was there.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Horrible, just horrible, and shameful indeed. We should have OPEN IMMIGRATION in this country; let people quickly and easily become citizens and let them get jobs and become taxpaying contributing citizens, LIKE THEY WANT. THE IRISH DID
    My peeps........

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    My peeps........
    Yeah, well, ALL of my ancestors, too. My paternal GRANDPA came here from Holland through Ellis Island in 1913.

Before around 1898, I didn't have one ancestor in this country. But they all wanted to come here. They all went through Ellis Island and saw that Statue.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-28-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    that frontline report showed those places as having WORSE conditions than prisons or jails, @allegro and @Miss Baphomette .

I'm for amnesty too.

Three of my cousins are half mexican, my first girlfriend was Mexican, one of my later girlfriends who became a lifelong best friend is Mexican, etc.

and ALL of them have at least one illegal parent.

and while my cousins ARE legal, all of this discrmihating hurts them too.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Hundreds of Detained Immigrant Kids in Texas Accidentally Given Overdose of Hepatitis A Vaccine

According to attorneys with the American Immigration Lawyers Association, some 250 children held in Dilley this weekend were mistakenly given full adult doses of the Hepatitis A vaccine.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh what the fuck

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Judge Orders Release of Immigrant Children Detained by U.S.

In a decision late Friday roundly rejecting the administration’s arguments for holding the families, Judge Dolly M. Gee of Federal District Court for the Central District of California found that two detention centers in Texas that the administration opened last summer fail to meet minimum legal requirements of the 1997 settlement for facilities housing children.

Judge Gee also found that migrant children had been held in “widespread deplorable conditions” in Border Patrol stations after they were first caught, and she said the authorities had “wholly failed” to provide the “safe and sanitary” conditions required for children even in temporary cells.
    Fucking FINALLY! Although I'm sure her ruling is going to be challenged.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Visions From the Inside: Art Inspired by Letters Written by Detained Migrants

From CultureStrike:
    CultureStrike, a national pro*migrant arts organization, is releasing illustrations based on letters written by detained women and children at the for*profit detention center in Karnes County, Texas, in collaboration with the advocacy groups ​Mariposas Sin Fronteras ​and End Family Detention​.​ These visual art interpretations created by a diverse line*up of 15 visual artists from across the U.S. will highlight the realities that migrants are experiencing inside of detention facilities, what led them to migrate away from their home countries, and the resiliency of the human spirit.

The letter behind this illustration.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Aw, that art is so sad.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Supreme Court rules immigrants can be detained indefinitely.

from NPR article:
    On Tuesday, Justice Stephen G. Breyer read from his dissent, a rare move for the court and an indication of just how passionately he disagrees with the majority opinion.

"We need only recall the words of the Declaration of Independence," Breyer said, "in particular its insistence that all men and women have 'certain unalienable Rights,' and that among them is the right to 'Liberty.' "

He continued, calling the ruling "legal fiction."

"Whatever the fiction, would the Constitution leave the Government free to starve, beat, or lash those held within our boundaries?" Breyer argued. "If not, then, whatever the fiction, how can the Constitution authorize the Government to imprison arbitrarily those who, whatever we might pretend, are in reality right here in the United States?"

Breyer added, "No one can claim, nor since the time of slavery has anyone to my knowledge successfully claimed, that persons held within the United States are totally without constitutional protection."

Full text: Jennings v. Rodriguez
    Last edited by Baphomette; 03-04-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Trump Administration Sues California Over Immigration Laws
    Quote Originally Posted by NYT
    WASHINGTON — The Trump administration escalated what had been a war of words over California’s immigration agenda, filing a lawsuit late Tuesday that amounted to a pre-emptive strike against the liberal state’s so-called sanctuary laws.

The Justice Department sued California; Gov. Jerry Brown; and the state’s attorney general, Xavier Becerra, over three state laws passed in recent months, saying they make it impossible for federal immigration officials to do their jobs and deport criminals who were born outside of the United States. The Justice Department called the laws unconstitutional and asked a judge to block them.

From NPR:
    Last year, California lawmakers passed three immigration-related laws that feature prominently in the new lawsuit. One bars private employers from voluntarily cooperating with federal immigration officials and requires businesses to notify workers in advance of a federal raid.
    A second law restricts state and local law enforcement from voluntarily sharing information with the feds about the release dates of undocumented people in their custody. That law also bars the transfer of undocumented people into federal custody. The third law under federal challenge covers state inspections of detention facilities that hold noncitizens in federal custody.
    Lawsuit can be found here.

Oh, Jerry... I fucking love you so much right now.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 03-06-2018 at 09:42 PM.