Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1981

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,264
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Trump 2017: Year Zero

    If I may be so bold, today should be the day we lock the election thread as the confirmations are beginning and Obama's farewell speech is tonight.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-11-2017 at 03:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    1,794
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I can see merit in leaving the election thread open (given the ongoing controversy regarding alleged foreign influence), but I do think it would make sense to maybe just have a "presidential" thread, minus the election bit, to discuss current goings-on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, I definitely concur, all the drama that is being played out or yet to be at least.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    #goldenshowers ? Really?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,632
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    #goldenshowers ? Really?
    What?! Did I miss something? I'm not sure I'm going to get very far by googling this

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    What?! Did I miss something? I'm not sure I'm going to get very far by googling this
    According to (unverified) intelligence, the incoming President of the United States paid hookers in a Ritz Carlton hotel suite in Moscow to piss in front of him on the bed where the outgoing President of the United States had previously slept.

    I wish I was fucking kidding.
    Last edited by botley; 01-10-2017 at 09:10 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,264
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Let's just call it Watergate, happened in a hotel after all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    I am not even remotely amused

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    410
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    again on the eve of a major new conference tweet something outragous, this time meryl streep, meryl streep, devert distract, confiramation hearings Squirl! ethics Squirl!
    -louie

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,632
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    the world is fucking broken

    EDIT: Holy shit! "If you're tired of arguing with strangers on the internet, try to talk with one in real life."
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-10-2017 at 09:45 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,323
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Goddamn I wish I had Obama's tireless optimism

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    mushroom festival in hell.
    Posts
    1,717
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Goddamn I wish I had Obama's tireless optimism
    I'm pretty sick of it so far.

    Hey, you know what hasn't really worked out so well? Going high when they go low. Maybe let's go low for a bit. Maybe we stomp some fucking Nazis?

    EDIT: Facepalm all you want, but it's bullshit. The GOP is getting everywhere by taking the lower ground. Are we supposed to keep attempting to have polite, civil discourse with these fucking idiots? These fucking Nazis, these insane paranoid troglodytes that think Hillary Clinton is eating babies in the basement of a pizzeria? Come the fuck on. Even the mainstream Republicans and alt-righters aren't staying above the ruckus.

    Yeah, let's just keep playing happy fun tea party time, it's working out well for us so far. Let's just ask Trump pretty please don't sell us out to hostile foreign interests and dismantle the core of what makes America great. I'm sure he'll listen to the half of the country who he has stated he views as his enemies. Great.
    Last edited by Harry Seaward; 01-10-2017 at 11:19 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    80 Miles due north of Amarillo, 15 miles south of Oklahoma.
    Posts
    4,140
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I'm pretty sick of it so far.

    Hey, you know what hasn't really worked out so well? Going high when they go low. Maybe let's go low for a bit. Maybe we stomp some fucking Nazis?

    EDIT: Facepalm all you want, but it's bullshit. The GOP is getting everywhere by taking the lower ground. Are we supposed to keep attempting to have polite, civil discourse with these fucking idiots? These fucking Nazis, these insane paranoid troglodytes that think Hillary Clinton is eating babies in the basement of a pizzeria? Come the fuck on. Even the mainstream Republicans and alt-righters aren't staying above the ruckus.

    Yeah, let's just keep playing happy fun tea party time, it's working out well for us so far. Let's just ask Trump pretty please don't sell us out to hostile foreign interests and dismantle the core of what makes America great. I'm sure he'll listen to the half of the country who he has stated he views as his enemies. Great.
    like On- Hands- and- Knees- We- Crawl- You- Cannot- Stop- Us All style?
    Fuck the bullshit, i'm down.
    We may HAVE to at some point. I HOPE we don't.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,632
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    holy shit, that was legendary. I just watched the moon landing. I just heard someone say "I have a dream" for the first time, that there's nothing to fear but fear itself.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I mean, I agree with you but honestly...and yeah it's cliched, but giving in to the anger and stooping to their level? That's what they want. Do that and they've won. Like I said, a cliche...but I think it rings truer here than ever.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    mushroom festival in hell.
    Posts
    1,717
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I mean, I agree with you but honestly...and yeah it's cliched, but giving in to the anger and stooping to their level? That's what they want. Do that and they've won. Like I said, a cliche...but I think it rings truer here than ever.
    You may not have seen the news lately, but they have already won. Are we just going to let this shit keep happening? Look at the state of the internet these days. More than a couple years ago, the entire place wasn't exactly swamped with Nazis. They had their own little corners where they stayed to themselves for the most part. Look how fucking confident they are now. Look at the state of the entirety of Twitter, it's basically becoming their headquarters. This type of behavior on whole sure seems like it's becoming more and more acceptable and open.

    So yes, I don't hear any other solutions. Stooping to their level is the answer. Fuck them. Call their parents and schools and workplaces and expose their hidden internet lives. Ruin their lives. Humiliate them publicly. Do what it takes.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,632
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    You may not have seen the news lately, but they have already won. Are we just going to let this shit keep happening? Look at the state of the internet these days. More than a couple years ago, the entire place wasn't exactly swamped with Nazis. They had their own little corners where they stayed to themselves for the most part. Look how fucking confident they are now. Look at the state of the entirety of Twitter, it's basically becoming their headquarters. This type of behavior on whole sure seems like it's becoming more and more acceptable and open.

    So yes, I don't hear any other solutions. Stooping to their level is the answer. Fuck them. Call their parents and schools and workplaces and expose their hidden internet lives. Ruin their lives. Humiliate them publicly. Do what it takes.

    People will stoop to their level, that's inevitable... and that sounds like it's going to be terrible, but I like your optimism.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,524
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    You may not have seen the news lately, but they have already won. Are we just going to let this shit keep happening? Look at the state of the internet these days. More than a couple years ago, the entire place wasn't exactly swamped with Nazis. They had their own little corners where they stayed to themselves for the most part. Look how fucking confident they are now. Look at the state of the entirety of Twitter, it's basically becoming their headquarters. This type of behavior on whole sure seems like it's becoming more and more acceptable and open.

    So yes, I don't hear any other solutions. Stooping to their level is the answer. Fuck them. Call their parents and schools and workplaces and expose their hidden internet lives. Ruin their lives. Humiliate them publicly. Do what it takes.
    I get your way of thinking but part of me, like my last post states, wants to try a different approach. A decidedly classier and ultimately more positive one.

    However, have you ever tried talking to these people--in person or online? It doesn't work. We've seen that a little bit just here on ETS, which is a way more liberal community. It just doesn't work. Does getting down in the muck with them work any better? I don't think so but it sure feels better. You know you're in the right...but they don't care. Their thinking isn't logical. And it's certainly self-centered. They're not thinking of the big picture.

    So both approaches fail. What's the answer?
    Last edited by Swykk; 01-11-2017 at 11:43 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,323
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Obama's entire thing has been this -- to try and get us over this fucking bridge as smoothly as possible. He's still the president, and even if people like Trump have no sense of what that title or office implies of requires, Barack does, and part of that is trying your goddamn best to unite people and treat the country as a whole instead of a set of sides, and to not help incite or instill doubt in our democracy.

    I won't be surprised at all if post-presidency we see him begin to come out swinging a whole lot more, but if he was giving a farewell address in which he called into question his successor and talked shit, do you know how disastrous that would be seen as? It's fucking dangerous, plain and simple. People are pissed off enough already and are eager for validation in their aggressive feelings, no matter the side. They don't need yet another encouraging voice.

    His plans are already to start doing his best to help build a new crop of viable candidates for the Democratic party and he seems ready to put his nose to the grindstone and work on the same style of grassroots campaigning that won him two elections in a row by extremely comfortable margins when all was said and done. Obama has always been the type of guy who is measured to a fault in his speeches and doesn't like to show his full hand until he's ready to make a move, and it can be really frustrating in the moment but I've experienced enough of it with him to know that I should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and believe that he knows what he is doing.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

    Trump 2017: Year Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Obama's entire thing has been this -- to try and get us over this fucking bridge as smoothly as possible. He's still the president, and even if people like Trump have no sense of what that title or office implies of requires, Barack does



    I won't be surprised at all if post-presidency we see him begin to come out swinging a whole lot more, but if he was giving a farewell address in which he called into question his successor and talked shit, do you know how disastrous that would be seen as? It's fucking dangerous, plain and simple.

    Obama has always been the type of guy who is measured to a fault in his speeches and doesn't like to show his full hand until he's ready to make a move, and it can be really frustrating in the moment but I've experienced enough of it with him to know that I should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and believe that he knows what he is doing.
    hahahaha. This made my day.

    I suppose you don't know that in Obama's final days, he just unlocked the fucking Eye of Sauron as a welcome gift for Trump. He just allowed other departments unfiltered access to NSA's bulk collection. Privacy protections are removed now.

    Sounds like a great thing to give Trump. Right?


    https://boingboing.net/2017/01/12/tr...able-to-s.html

    PRAISE OBAMA EVERYONE

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I suppose you don't know that in Obama's final days, he just unlocked the fucking Eye of Sauron as a welcome gift for Trump. He just allowed other departments unfiltered access to NSA's bulk collection. Privacy protections are removed now.

    Sounds like a great thing to give Trump. Right?


    https://boingboing.net/2017/01/12/tr...able-to-s.html

    PRAISE OBAMA EVERYONE
    I suppose you don't realize this has been in the works on a bureaucratic level for many years, even before Obama took office. I'm not defending the scope of the NSA's mandate, but given what it has been instructed to do, I'd rather Obama's administration have finalized this order with at least some limitations rather than left loopholes open for Trump to give himself more access legitimately. Read this perspective from a lawmaker. There's enough hyperbole flying around here without your stupid Tolkein reference BTW.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    80 Miles due north of Amarillo, 15 miles south of Oklahoma.
    Posts
    4,140
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Also, sorry for double post, but @botley if you were reading what i said about my wife and mother as hyperbolic, it certainly wasn't.
    She is epileptic, and prone to Status Epilepticus (as in she's had it a couple of times, to the point of seizure activity in her brain still going on DAYS after a seizure) and we can't afford her medicines. She literally nearly died in my arms 2 years ago. And 1 year ago she had to be taken to hospital by helicopter.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-14-2017 at 09:55 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Also, sorry for double post, but @botley if you were reading what i said about my wife and mother as hyperbolic, it certainly wasn't.
    She is epileptic, and prone to Status Epilepticus (as in she's had it a couple of times, to the point of seizure activity in her brain still going on DAYS after a seizure) and we can't afford her medicines. She literally nearly died in my arms 2 years ago. And 1 year ago she had to be taken to hospital by helicopter.
    Yeah, that wasn't directed at you; I TOTALLY empathise with your mom's situation. We talk a big game up here in Canada about socialised medicine but the privileges we enjoy (especially here in Ontario) are on razor thin ice. And it's justified sometimes as "well, hey, at least you don't have it as bad as the USA".

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I suppose you don't realize this has been in the works on a bureaucratic level for many years, even before Obama took office. I'm not defending the scope of the NSA's mandate, but given what it has been instructed to do, I'd rather Obama's administration have finalized this order with at least some limitations rather than left loopholes open for Trump to give himself more access legitimately. Read this perspective from a lawmaker. There's enough hyperbole flying around here without your stupid Tolkein reference BTW.
    I haven't read that much Orwellian double-speak in quite some time. That "lawmaker" didn't even make the case that was being claimed: that it would stop Trump from expanding it more. I also love how he goes into nuance on the legal side so he can torture the logic to death, but takes inaccurately broad strokes when it comes time to talk about the technical details... so he doesn't have to admit how bad this change really is.


    Eye of Sauron is an accurate depiction of the raw collection process, not that the person being interviewed would ever address that.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    80 Miles due north of Amarillo, 15 miles south of Oklahoma.
    Posts
    4,140
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    I really, seriously am pretty goddamned concered that this is



    I'd imagine that this has gone through 90% of our heads, and since the thread is called Year Zero, i thought i'd just leave that there.

    NINE DAYS, motherbitches. NINE DAYS until it's PRESIDENT Trump.
    Just let that sink in. It still does not compute for me. This is why i have stayed out of the election thread since the election.

    I said i'd give trump a chance. Then he appointed a fucking climate change denier to run the ENVIORNMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY.

    That was the end of the chance.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    80 Miles due north of Amarillo, 15 miles south of Oklahoma.
    Posts
    4,140
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Sorry for double post, but i want to share something. You guys may have been discussing this notion in the other thread, but like i said, i haven't been there in awhile.

    So check this out.

    Trump is all hell bent on protecting russia for influencing the elections. He thinks Putin is his friend. And maybe he is.

    But here's what i think is REALLY going on. Putin wanted to help trump get elected to FUCK OUR COUNTRY UP.
    I know some of you guys are russian and i have no problems with russians, so please don't take offense, but russia has always been, in most of our lifetimes, the OTHER superpower-the other side of the coin-the biggest fucking threat to the US.

    And tensions are at an all time high since the cold war; we fought a fucking proxy war in syria for fuck's sake, that i expected to errupt into world war 3 any fucking day SO...

    I think Putin is LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF at trump, thinks he's a moron, and is saying to his inner circle "look what i did to the United States, eh? have you SEEN the motherfucker who's gonna be their new COMMANDER IN CHIEF?!

    Just a (grim) thought that's been bouncing around my dome.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

    But here's what i think is REALLY going on. Putin wanted to help trump get elected to FUCK OUR COUNTRY UP.
    I know some of you guys are russian and i have no problems with russians, so please don't take offense, but russia has always been, in most of our lifetimes, the OTHER superpower-the other side of the coin-the biggest fucking threat to the US.

    And tensions are at an all time high since the cold war; we fought a fucking proxy war in syria for fuck's sake, that i expected to errupt into world war 3 any fucking day SO...

    I think Putin is LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF at trump, thinks he's a moron, and is saying to his inner circle "look what i did to the United States, eh? have you SEEN the motherfucker who's gonna be their new COMMANDER IN CHIEF?!

    Just a (grim) thought that's been bouncing around my dome.
    its a military superpower...thats about it.....its nowhere near as powerful as the Soviet Union was or the United States today in 2017... The US is much stronger.....its not a rival to the US at all, ..Russia has a smaller economy than individual US states like California, Texas, and countries like Canada and Spain. You need money to be a superpower.
    Its only its millitary in which it is a superpower...with its fuck tonne of nukes.
    But its mostly poor. And too corrupt to make any real progress for the foreseeble future.

    I agree he wants a weaker united states though. Putin wants to restore the Soviet Union(without the communism)....the United States is the only country who has been able to stop him using brute force to get him empire back.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,067
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Please stand up and spread your legs
    I lay me down, look up, it shakes
    Let me eat your shame
    Let me sip champagne
    Let cry your pinky flower
    Give me, give me golden shower

    Let it rain, don't be blunt
    Let it rain, what a stunt
    Let it rain, make me grunt
    Let it rain from your pretty cunt

    Golden shower, don't be shy, cunt
    Golden shower, let it fly from your pretty cunt
    Golden shower, golden sweat, cunt
    Golden shower, make it wet, let it shed

    Please stand up, pink hairy sky
    I creep down and wait, wait for you to cry
    Let me sip again
    Give me more champagne
    Be my human Eiffel tower
    Give me, give me golden shower

    Let it rain, don't be blunt
    Let it rain, what a stunt
    Let it rain, make me grunt
    Let it rain from your pretty cunt

    Golden shower, don't be shy, cunt
    Golden shower, let it fly from your pretty cunt
    Golden shower, golden sweat, cunt
    Golden shower, make it wet, let it shed

    Fresh kisses flowing from your hips
    And it seems like fairies flying
    Moist and tender eyes and lips
    And it feels like angels crying
    Cunt!

    Golden shower, don't be shy, cunt
    Golden shower, let it fly from your pretty cunt
    Golden shower, golden sweat, cunt
    Golden shower, make it wet, let it shed

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    80 Miles due north of Amarillo, 15 miles south of Oklahoma.
    Posts
    4,140
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Trumped up trickle down...hillary was on to something.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,264
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I don't think it's the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning, etc, etc. Next few years will be rough but I think we'll come out okay. I don't have a crystal ball or anything, but I do take some solace knowing everything he will do be scrutinized to the point where he may be made ineffective.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions