Page 12 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Translation of Madonna's speech: "My gays are forgetting me, let me try to be controversial so I can get them away from Gaga and Carly Rae."

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Fine, keep creating fake outrage over some celebrity who you think has soured a movement, when it was hardly a story to begin with. Never did I say I was fine with what she said, I merely mentioned that being outraged at Madonna's stupid speech is a lame ass way of trying to dilute all the positive vibes of yesterday considering she's a fucking musician who has built a whole career off of being shocking and outrageous. But if her word is gospel of millions of other people who have nothing to do with her, then that's your problem.
    Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 01-22-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    This is where you're wrong, I'm afraid.

And before I go on, this isn't me being an arrogant prick or some jerkoff on the internet trying to win some political argument. Your logic here is genuinely disconcerting.

Whether she was at that march for a valid reason or just to make some waves for her faltering entertainment career is not the point. She's a celebrity who got up on a public platform and contradicted pretty much everything people were marching in protest of this weekend.

If people were truly marching and protesting for love and peace, then nobody should be okay with some attention-seeking diva like Madonna getting up on live television and saying what she did.

"Mr. President, go suck a dick" in front of the entire world isn't hateful? That's not as bad as Trump talking about grabbing a female's crotch more than a decade ago in a private conversation?

"I fantasize about blowing up the white house" isn't counteracting the entire point of protest march in the name of love and peace? Who the fuck allowed her to get up there in the first place? People were cheering in the audience when she said those things. Nobody in their right mind, who is there to protest, should be applauding that shit.

I see shit like that and I think to myself "those people are just misguided as our new leader is". What good is a protest when someone can show up for self-serving reasons, say what she did and then get applauded for it? And now, just because she's not running for office, nobody really gives a fuck and you think it's not that big of a deal?

It's the larger picture here. As I said earlier, I want to see movements like this weekend succeed and flourish. I want to see democracy in action prevail in dark times. Putting a dipshit like Madonna on national television to make hateful, shitty remarks to the applause and nonchalance of millions of others is not the way to do it, I'm afraid..
    Blame the media and the DC organizers? I don't know. I certainly didn't hear about it till after the fact on Pitchfork, Spin, and Rolling Stone who only mentioned it because they're music publications and basically have to report it. I can tell you by reading on Twitter that nobody I saw was in favor of her antics. Elsewhere, other speakers seemed to have a positive message about peace and understanding, especially towards those on the other side. Yeah, of course I don't agree with anything she said, and don't condone of those cheering her, I also know that she doesn't speak for everyone regardless of how popular of a celebrity she is.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The overemotional leakage that runs rampant here is the perfect reason not to engage most of you in conversation, because you can't debate logically and fairly if you're busy yanking on your outrage boner. As evidenced by the fact that you feel like you're being threatened, when my statement was just that: a statement of fact. Your constant leveling of the victim card is tiresome.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    The overemotional leakage that runs rampant here is the perfect reason not to engage most of you in conversation, because you can't debate logically and fairly if you're busy yanking on your outrage boner. As evidenced by the fact that you feel like you're being threatened, when my statement was just that: a statement of fact. Your constant leveling of the victim card is tiresome.
    All I've done afternoon is debate with people here on the merits of yesterday's march, and how I fee' they're wrong. You're the one who is "sparing me" your effort. And considering I hardly post on here to begin with, you thinking I'm playing the victim card is hilarious. But go ahead man, shoot me some logic about how I'm wrong and how you'll debate circles around me. Not once here have I portrayed myself as a victim of a system that has forgotten about me, instead, I talked about how I got off my ass and got involved. But please, enlighten everyone of how you're going to totally put me in my place.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    But please, enlighten everyone of how you're going to totally put me in my place.
    I don't particularly need to, considering how badly you're already being humiliated by others here.

Your tough guy act is sad and ineffective and if you really want change, you'd be out doing it and not arguing with people here, which is another point of hypocrisy, considering how you made such a point about forum arguing. Oh, sure, you marched, great, fantastic. One day of marching out of a 4 year presidency. Great job, you really showed him. Quit wasting time arguing about how great you feel and go DO something, because the Trump administration does not give a shit how you "feel". Feelings aren't going to change anything.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I don't particularly need to, considering how badly you're already being humiliated by others here.

Your tough guy act is sad and ineffective and if you really want change, you'd be out doing it and not arguing with people here, which is another point of hypocrisy, considering how you made such a point about forum arguing. Oh, sure, you marched, great, fantastic. One day of marching out of a 4 year presidency. Great job, you really showed him. Quit wasting time arguing about how great you feel and go DO something, because the Trump administration does not give a shit how you "feel". Feelings aren't going to change anything.
    I've worked on three straight presidential campaigns, volunteering for the Democratic party in every election since 2008 when I was able to vote. I worked for the parks department for two years to help my city, and I'm also a donor for various Latino charities around the state of Texas. Please tell me more of how I'm not making a difference.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Please tell me more of how I'm not making a difference.
    Donald Trump is the President of the United States.

Looks like you made a big difference. A real impact. Pat on the back. Not one of your great efforts was wasted, obviously.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I'm.....just gonna leave this thread.

I already feel like have to shoot myself in the head to make all this just go away.

Im going back to making music, fuck this shit

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    You can blame the media for it being shown. CNN and MSNBC could've cut to something else while she was getting up there. Having a Celebrity like Madonna almost ensures that something off the wall would happen. Yeah, if I were running it, there's no way in hell I'd have have go up there without an idea of what she's doing, but blame those organizers, not those of us marching in other places who had no idea she'd say anything when she did. You say you don't like politics and are fine living in your own bubble without it, so why does this piss you off so much? What are you going to do to change what you see or perceive as wrong?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Plenty. But that's no one's business but my own, and I'm not bragging about it to make my ego feel good and get a self-esteem boost from a bunch of folks over the internet.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Plenty. But that's no one's business but my own, and I'm not bragging about it to make my ego feel good and get a self-esteem boost from a bunch of folks over the internet.
    No, but you look like a pathetic fool who can't back up your argument and rise to the occasion when someone questions your integrity, which you don't seem to have.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    No, but you look like a pathetic fool who can't back up your argument and rise to the occasion when someone questions your integrity, which you don't seem to have.
    I didn't put forth an argument. I made an observation that you're a hypocrite, which you are, and that's something you prove every time you show up here.

Beyond that, The only thing here that's pathetic is how badly you try to tear everyone else down and make yourself look like such an inspiring political firebrand. I don't need to defend my integrity. It's fine. You, on the other are living up to the "kid" part of your name with your childish insults and lack of any sort of real political acumen.

I've digressed long enough. Good luck with your crusade. Maybe if you grow up in the next few days, you'll be more willing to listen to what some of the other people here are trying to tell you.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I didn't put forth an argument. I made an observation that you're a hypocrite, which you are, and that's something you prove every time you show up here.

Beyond that, The only thing here that's pathetic is how badly you try to tear everyone else down and make yourself look like such an inspiring political firebrand. I don't need to defend my integrity. It's fine. You, on the other are living up to the "kid" part of your name with your childish insults and lack of any sort of real political acumen.

I've digressed long enough. Good luck with your crusade. Maybe if you grow up in the next few days, you'll be more willing to listen to what some of the other people here are trying to tell you.
    I take it that this is you giving up, because you have nothing to bring to this thread? I've debated with two others here on why I thought their stances were wrong, and all you did was try to vilify me without adding anything at all to the conversation. You can call me a hypocrite all you want, but you're worse than that. You're nothing, that's why you can't defend yourself or your integrity.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I take it that this is you giving up, because you have nothing to bring to this thread?
    I wasn't having an argument, so there's nothing to give up. *shrug* If your ego is so fragile that you need to feel like you "beat" me in something, then sure, you can have your gold star and your participation trophy. Congratulations.

You can call me a hypocrite all you want

okay, hypocrite.

You're nothing, that's why you can't defend yourself or your integrity.
    Like I already told you; I don't need to defend my integrity. Never have, never will. What's your excuse?

Regardless, you're only trying to bait me, and it's not going to work. Good luck though, if you think it will get you anywhere.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I don't think any decent human being would condone trashing businesses or small scale riots. But your outrage of her speech and the reaction of people applauding her is really getting to you, despite just saying that you don't hold us other protesters accountable. Do I think everyone who voted for Trump, including some in my extended family are all sexist and racist? Not at all, they chose to vote for him in a "lesser of two evils", which is how plenty of people seemed to vote last year despite the unpopularity of both candidates. I see yesterday's protests as a first of many of us coming together to fight the opposition. I can't count how many groups of people went out marching their for all various causes. That's fucking amazing! I'd bet that there's going to be many of people writing and calling their government officials because they're re-energized and no longer disillusioned. Sometimes all a movement needs is a kick in the ass, and there's no doubt in my mind that yesterday's protest, however small you think it is, will be the catalyst.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    The funniest one I've seen so far has been the Born in the USA one:
    https://twitter.com/prttybadtweeter/...20848897069056

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post, but WHAT. IS. THIS?!?!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    and all of the uber-cynic GOP fuckwits just want to please their amazingly great leader? they are already afraid of him imo. they will never dare telling him the truth even when they themselves recongnize it (highly unlikely anyway).
    Last edited by baudolino; 01-23-2017 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Agree. It's the Trumpers who took some level of control over the GOP. The "revolutionaries" if you will. They have been building themselves since the Tea Party days. (Not that TP=Trumpers... it's a weird mix and a whole other topic)

And timing absolutely plays a part of every "revolutionary" change. That's another thing I'm pissed at the left for. There have been quite a few times, especially recently, that they could have leveraged the moment IF they had a foundation ready for it. Shit, we would have Sanders for president right now if they had even a skeleton of what I'm talking about.

You guys have the numbers. It's everything else that is lacking. It kills me to see that because I want to see people succeed in overturning establishment corruption.
    +1. The "America is already great" sentiment and the strategy of trying to convert "moderate" Republicans were both facepalm-worthy fails on the Dems part. Trump barely did better than McCain or Romney in terms of votes. The Republican base seems fairly consistent in size and rusted-on. The focus going forward needs to be on bringing the disaffected / non-voters into the fold. I feel like Sanders would've had a much better shot at that. My hope is that organisations like the DSA continue to pick up steam. I also feel like this "Russian hacking" crap is going to be the new Benghazi in terms of an endless waste of political energy and media airtime.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Agree. It's the Trumpers who took some level of control over the GOP. The "revolutionaries" if you will. They have been building themselves since the Tea Party days. (Not that TP=Trumpers... it's a weird mix and a whole other topic)

And timing absolutely plays a part of every "revolutionary" change. That's another thing I'm pissed at the left for. There have been quite a few times, especially recently, that they could have leveraged the moment IF they had a foundation ready for it. Shit, we would have Sanders for president right now if they had even a skeleton of what I'm talking about.

You guys have the numbers. It's everything else that is lacking. It kills me to see that because I want to see people succeed in overturning establishment corruption.
    +1. The "America is already great" sentiment and the strategy of trying to convert "moderate" Republicans were both facepalm-worthy fails on the Dems part. Trump barely did better than McCain or Romney in terms of votes. The Republican base seems fairly consistent in size and rusted-on. The focus going forward needs to be on bringing the disaffected / non-voters into the fold. I feel like Sanders would've had a much better shot at that. My hope is that organisations like the DSA continue to pick up steam. I also feel like this "Russian hacking" crap is going to be the new Benghazi in terms of an endless waste of political energy and media airtime.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Absolutely. Throw in a large amount of "birth certificate" while GOP treats it like Dems treated Hilary's email.

Such a massive waste of time against someone like Trump. They'd have to find a blatant smoking gun that non-Dems would accept. It's so unlikely.
    Well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I thought having an apocalyptic meltdown before the dude even sworn into office was questioable enough, but turns out some of you are way ahead of that curve.

No offense, but were you serious when you wrote this comment, or you are just fed up and/or feeling desperate of thinking about possible things to come (which have not yet), and your mind just went ballistic?

I check back here, but observe mainly reddit, where I read r/politics/ (anti-trump) and r/the_donald/ (pro-trump) when they hit r/All/, and my observation is that both sides are in an ever growing echo-chamber, fueling off from the other side. Some of you guys are cutting the tree under you by yourselves.
    Probably not likely. There's a long divide here and the two sides aren't much for talking to each other right now.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    everyone should stay home today when your boss calls tell him you thought it was an"ternative workday" cop pulls you over you were following the"akternative" speed-limit. drumf making america alternative again, plus nobody cares.
    -louie

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    This pic of Kerry in the marches is fucking hilarious. Like he was just taking the dog out for a morning stroll and happened to wander into an enormous protest march. This guy could be my neighbor.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Is Twitter still a relevant thing? Lots of people I know have abandoned it in the last year or so and we were told in the business module of my music course that it's the only 'big' social media network where the membership is currently shrinking. Although, tumblr seems to be winding down as well.
    I would definitely say it's relevant now because of Trump, but beyond that who knows. Maybe the shrinkage as it is now has to do with not wanting that association. I'd be interested to know how many people they are losing. I'm definitely thinking twice about continuing on there. Everything I seem to re-tweet is related to him, after swearing to myself I wouldn't after the election was over. That said I have made some nice contact with people on there, occasionally was responded to by people I admire and had more than a few laughs.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You know what I'm afraid of, if he loses in 2020 (provided he manages to survive that long). Losing could be so bitter for him we all would surely pay for it.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    You know what I'm afraid of, if he loses in 2020 (provided he manages to survive that long). Losing could be so bitter for him we all would surely pay for it.
    I thought having an apocalyptic meltdown before the dude even sworn into office was questioable enough, but turns out some of you are way ahead of that curve.

No offense, but were you serious when you wrote this comment, or you are just fed up and/or feeling desperate of thinking about possible things to come (which have not yet), and your mind just went ballistic?

I check back here, but observe mainly reddit, where I read r/politics/ (anti-trump) and r/the_donald/ (pro-trump) when they hit r/All/, and my observation is that both sides are in an ever growing echo-chamber, fueling off from the other side. Some of you guys are cutting the tree under you by yourselves.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I check back here, but observe mainly reddit,
    Your biggest mistake was trying to find reasonable discourse on Reddit.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I have stopped by this thread many times, I read it all the time and try never to post. However the liberals and the conservatives as well as the Trump supporters you can argue all you want but it doesn't matter Washington is broken and one side obstructs the other side depending on who is in power. it is a never ending cycle on bullshit, and a thirst for power.
    So let me ask everybody this more so to members that live in the United States. What do you think is going to happen? Where do you think this broken government will take us? This really started when George W Bush became president.
    You may dispute my speculation or prediction but Texas has been talking about it for decades and now California is talking about it. SUCCESSION. You may laugh and say that will never happen but in 1999 you would probably laugh at planes flying into buildings but after 9/11 that wasn't funny anymore. I know there is a big difference between a terrorist act and individual states breaking off to form their own countries, but it might not be as out there as you think. I live California and nobody in California can understand why Trump is president and I bet you can go to a mid west state and they are glad Trump is president.
    My point is as a nation we have become so different and have so little in common that politically maybe it is time to part ways. Texas is a very conservative state and has wanted to be its own country for a long time.
    People are tired of the political discourse and not getting anywhere. I for one am embarrassed Trump is the president of the United States. I can very easily see the state of Washington, Oregon and California breaking off from the rest of the country because we are very liberal out here and we don't understand what the fuck is going on with the rest of this country. These three states don't even matter during elections a lot of it has been decided before our polls even close. I am fucking sick of hearing some conservative mouthing off and interrupting a conversation only to interject some opinion that isn't even based on any facts. We are living in an age where opinion wins out over fact, and that is an indirect quote of guest on Bill Mahers show the other night. I agree with it and all this bullshit about fake news FOX NEWS has been doing fake news for 20 years so who gives a fuck.

The west coast doesn't need the rest of this country so I am all for succession. I might not happen in the near future but if the liberals and conservatives continue in this direction it will be inevitably.