Page 101 of 140 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 4404

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    We've been through this, before, in the 60s and 70s. Nixon's Southern Strategy. That's why this scares me, I've seen this before and it was really really bad.
    Yeah I was going to note that I'd read about such tumult in the 60s/70s, just never lived through it. Also unnerving that we're going backwards in a sense.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Yeah I was going to note that I'd read about such tumult in the 60s/70s, just never lived through it. Also unnerving that we're going backwards in a sense.
    Exactly, totally.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Also unnerving that we're going backwards in a sense.
    Maybe, but if enough of these idiots are caught on camera and prosecuted for any violence they cause, it'll put their whole movement on even more shaky ground as it is.

The Mayor of Lexington, KY wants to remove all confederate statues in the wake of what happened yesterday.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    hey Donnie maybe a little bleach might get that blood off your hands and if you drink it might get rid of that blackness in your soul
    -Louie

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Apparently support for the Confederacy is rising again...especially among young people.....even if you both separated you would both be immensely powerful countries...

one could argue...The Yankees are the colonialists holding the confederacy back...the south has a totally different ideology on life..the Yankees are the colonialist moralist bully masters just as bad as the British were.

you should form an American Union where you are not beholden to other retarded countries laws..but are unified in some sense......

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Apparently support for the Confederacy is rising again...especially among young people.....even if you both separated you would both be immensely powerful countries...

one could argue...The Yankees are the colonialists holding the confederacy back...the south has a totally different ideology on life..the Yankees are the colonialist moralist bully masters just as bad as the British were.

you should form an American Union where you are not beholden to other retarded countries laws..but are unified in some sense......
    Dude, there were militia morons FROM THE NORTH at that rally. Including these racist morons called Detroit Right Wings, who are now gonna get sued by the Detroit Red Wings for the unauthorized use of their logo.

The driver of the vehicle (that hit those people) is from OHIO, and he grew up in KENTUCKY; neither of those states were Confederate states.

Edit: the Confederate States of America ("Confederacy") ended in 1865. Lee surrendered. Lee is no longer being celebrated because he is now considered a U.S. Traitor. The Confederacy fired on Ft. Sumter, which started the Civil War. The South never recovered, to this day, financially. But, these white supremacists use the Confederate flag as a symbol of the racist slave-owning past.

See this map
    Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "Mr. President, do you want the support of these white nationalists?" And the answer? Silence...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Good read in the WaPo:

Their message was as clear as it was race- and class-based: White supremacy — and its cousin, white nationalism — represents a deep perversion of the values of respectable white, upper-middle-class and college-educated Americans. That is, it’s impossible to be both a white supremacist and a well-educated white American.

Such an assumption, however, is both dangerous and historically inaccurate. Contrary to popular belief, white supremacy has not gestated on the fringes of American politics. Rather, it has flourished as a social movement grounded in respectability politics and led by elites. Understanding this history is essential to eradicating the scourge of white supremacy and advancing more just political alternatives. Mischaracterizing its roots, history and latent political assumptions allows middle-class and college-educated white Americans to escape responsibility for extirpating this stain on our society.

Given this history, it should come as no surprise that the lead architects of the Charlottesville demonstration — Jason Kessler, Richard Spencer, Tim Gionet and Matthew Heimbach — are middle- to upper-middle-class, college-educated white men in their mid-20s to mid-30s. Spencer, in fact, is a former doctoral student in modern European intellectual history at Duke University. He has been described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as “a suit-and-tie version of the white supremacists of old, a kind of professional racist in khakis.”

But white supremacists of old were, in fact, the very same “suit-and-tie version.” In her 2015 book, “Ku-Klux: The Birth of the Klan During Reconstruction,” Elaine Frantz Parsons argues that “the men who first became Ku-Klux — Frank O. McCord, Richard Reed, John C. Lester, Calvin Jones, John Booker Kennedy, and James Crowe — presented themselves as elites and intellectuals, above and opposed to the violence of rough men.”

These were the well-educated elites of their day. Many founders of the Klan were property owners and most had assets exceeding $10,000. Two were attorneys and one was a real estate broker. One member, John Kennedy, had recently inherited $20,000 from his father, a figure equivalent to at least $500,000 today. Many were widely read and at least half had taken college classes.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

JFC.

Actions and words speaking loudly here:

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/lette...ic-and-actions
    My name is Pearce Tefft, and I am writing to all, with regards to my youngest son, Peter Tefft, an avowed white nationalist who has been featured in a number of local news stories over the last several months.
    On Friday night, my son traveled to Charlottesville, Va., and was interviewed by a national news outlet while marching with reported white nationalists, who allegedly went on to kill a person.
    I, along with all of his siblings and his entire family, wish to loudly repudiate my son’s vile, hateful and racist rhetoric and actions. We do not know specifically where he learned these beliefs. He did not learn them at home.
    I have shared my home and hearth with friends and acquaintances of every race, gender and creed. I have taught all of my children that all men and women are created equal. That we must love each other all the same.
    Evidently Peter has chosen to unlearn these lessons, much to my and his family’s heartbreak and distress. We have been silent up until now, but now we see that this was a mistake. It was the silence of good people that allowed the Nazis to flourish the first time around, and it is the silence of good people that is allowing them to flourish now.
    Peter Tefft, my son, is not welcome at our family gatherings any longer. I pray my prodigal son will renounce his hateful beliefs and return home. Then and only then will I lay out the feast.
    His hateful opinions are bringing hateful rhetoric to his siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews as well as his parents. Why must we be guilty by association? Again, none of his beliefs were learned at home. We do not, never have, and never will, accept his twisted worldview.
    He once joked, “The thing about us fascists is, it’s not that we don’t believe in freedom of speech. You can say whatever you want. We’ll just throw you in an oven.”
    Peter, you will have to shovel our bodies into the oven, too. Please son, renounce the hate, accept and love all.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Just to be clear here: the DOJ brings a suit against a guy for a years-long campaign of racial profiling, and Fox News describes him as "colorful"?

THIS (among many other things) is what's wrong with that outlet.

And then yeah, Donald is considering PARDONING him? Yeah. You know that "racism is bad" speech that you just gave? Shove it up your ass, Don. Actions speak louder than words, fuckwit. And right now your actions are still screaming "I'm okay with racism" while you read off your teleprompter.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I have been reading this, and I don't know what to say. Condemnation is obvious, but I'm shocked that it still needs to be expressed today.

I grew up in a very conservative, 95% white small town. There were a lot of racial overtones around growing up. A lot of things that we recognize now as bad, and racist. At the time, we didn't recognize police brutality as racial issue. We didn't recognize income inequality as a racial issue. We didn't recognize the war on drugs was really a race war. We didn't recognize media portrayals as a problem.

But even then, there was a person in our high school who spoke of white pride, and tried to argue that she wasn't racist for being proud of her whiteness, and that she was just standing up for herself and for her race, and she'd argue that if black people could have black history moth, she should be allowed to have white history month.

And we recognized that was racist. I was raised in an environment that was backwards and so much institutionalized racism was normalized, and even we recognized something that overt, and knew that was wrong, and knew that was racist and knew it was a problem.

That was 15 years ago, and 1 person in a high school of several hundred. Now there seem to be more of them. Myself, and the people I went to high school with, mostly we've grown, and we notice things that were considered normal as problems now. That one person still hasn't, she's still living in my home town and still as racist as ever.

I knew growing up, that the small town I was living in was very detached from the rest of the world, and when I grew up, I wanted to learn about the rest of the world, and I sought out perspectives that were different from the ones I had grown up with. And I've learned. I'm fairly positive that I'm still blind to a lot of the problems out there, and I'm very far from perfect, but I've learned a lot along the way too.

It's scary to see that the internet is allowing such obvious racism to organize itself, support itself and twist reality so badly that it's creating rallies that are effective, dangerous and violent. That one person who we all recognized as racist in high school is probably cheering for her white supremacist friends over the events in Charlotte.

It's sickening, the internet was supposed to bring us together. I remember being a naïve teenager sitting in a chat room, thinking to myself, this is great, the internet is going to end racism because we can't see the person on the other end of the screen to know what race, or gender they are, this is going to solve so many social problems. How foolish that was

This is awful. This needs to stop, but I don't know how to make it stop. Words aren't going to be enough, something has to be done to stop the strengthening and organization of racism, but I don't know what.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Trump cuts funds to fight anti-right wing violence

http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...-wing-violence

Get the fuck on out of here with that.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Trump cuts funds to fight anti-right wing violence

http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...-wing-violence

Get the fuck on out of here with that.
    For what it's worth, they're reporting on cuts that happened months ago; not in the immediate wake of a Nazi rally. I'm not saying that makes it okay. It just makes it slightly less shitty than if it had happened today.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Oh fuck this imbecilic piece of shit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Oh fuck this imbecilic piece of shit.
    Now he's a dangerous reckless fascist piece of shit.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    remember when some of us were jumping up when this thread was young and yelling "this is sounding like fascism, and I'm not being hyperbolic?"

In hindsight, those concerns seem quant.

Also, the whole thing with pressuring Dreamhost to release IP info is so weird... I have a bunch of friends who work for them. This is a strange look at the other side of the mirror.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-14-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    New GOP poll has been emailed out. Totally unbiased and scientifically sound. (@allegro, try not to hurt your forehead when it hits your desk)

https://gop.com/official-campaign-promise-poll/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    New GOP poll has been emailed out. Totally unbiased and scientifically sound. (@allegro, try not to hurt your forehead when it hits your desk)

Holy shit. Can you say "confirmation bias"?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

This is a spoof GOP website, right? Right?!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Do you trust the Fake News Media to accurately report on President Trump’s accomplishments?

[] Yes
    [] No
    [] Other, please specify
    What in the fuck. The "Fake News Media?" Are you shitting me?

Is he really going to carry on with this whole 'Fake News empire' thing until he either suddenly gets better ratings or leaves office? I'm not sure why, but at a certain point I was just kind of expecting that he would just brush that away and pretend it didn't happen, sorta like that time Donald Trump accused Barack Obama of wiretapping him, but uh, I guess not?

He's just going to continue referring to respectable, top-level, professional media outlets that don't bow to him as fake, illegitimate, enemies of the people?

It's astounding that I can write those sentences out containing only complete objective truth and this person still has a huge amount of desperately rabid followers who, without denying any of the facts in what I said, will still defend him to the end.

I keep thinking maybe I'll get used to this shit, but I generally still feel like I did the night of November 8. Completely dumbfounded - my brain shut down due to the fact that my understanding of reality does not allow for the fact that something like this could happen. It's still just unfathomable.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    It's astounding that I can write those sentences out containing only complete objective truth and this person still has a huge amount of desperately rabid followers who, without denying any of the facts in what I said, will still defend him to the end.

I keep thinking maybe I'll get used to this shit, but I generally still feel like I did the night of November 8. Completely dumbfounded - my brain shut down due to the fact that my understanding of reality does not allow for the fact that something like this could happen. It's still just unfathomable.
    The problem is that once in a great while, even those outlets mess up. So when they do, Trumpeters can add that to their little scrap books so they can go SEE?! SEE?!!?! LIES!!! And that's all these idiots need in order to believe that they've been validated.

November 8th was a bad one for me. I basically got drunk and fell asleep curled up on the floor because I never do either of those things and I was afraid that going to my bed, sober, like any other night, would then remind me of the night that it felt like the world fell apart. What made it worse was that my router was messed up, so at last check late at night there was a headline about "uncertain outcome", and when I woke up in the morning it still said that. I had hope, in the daylight of November 9th, that something miraculous had happened. Then I realized the internet was just frozen, and my worst fears had been confirmed.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I have a bruise on my forehead, now, thanks a pantload.

It's like a 6th grader prepared this thing.

"Do you like chocolate?"

___ Yes

___ I'm Stupid

___ I Can't Read

"Do you think puppies are cute?"

___ Yes

___ Dogs taste delicious I am eeting one right now

___ Yes

I had to go see if this was a real URL, it is, wtf.

https://www.gop.com/
    Last edited by allegro; 08-15-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I have a bruise on my forehead, now, thanks a pantload.

It's like a 6th grader prepared this thing.

"Do you like chocolate?"

___ Yes

___ I'm Stupid

___ I Can't Read

"Do you think puppies are cute?"

___ Yes

___ Dogs taste delicious I am eeting one right now

___ Yes

I had to go see if this was a real URL, it is, wtf.

https://www.gop.com/
    thanks @allegro , for much needed comic relief.
    surprised they did not ask if I was racist
    x no some of my best friends are from the dark side of the moon
    -Louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Saturday: Nazi runs over woman with car and attempts to kill dozens more.
    Saturday: *crickets*
    Sunday: *crickets*
    Monday: (yawning) guys, please don't be racist, okay?
    Tuesday:

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Tuesday:

Oh my god...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tuesday:

I hope you don't mind me screenshotting that (your text along with the tweet screenshot) because I am totally spreading that shit.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I hope you don't mind me screenshotting that (your text along with the tweet screenshot) because I am totally spreading that shit.
    Be my guest!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Everyday, EVERYDAY he does something new to make me feel dumbfounded.

I'm beginning to wonder if the world will ever return to any sense of normality after all this!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Everyday, EVERYDAY he does something new to make me feel dumbfounded.

I'm beginning to wonder if the world will ever return to any sense of normality after all this!
    January 20, 2020. Don can still have all the Twitter he wants, but he'll be back to being a powerless baby trapped in a fat 70-something's body. IF the country wakes up and boots him in 2020, I truly believe it will feel like a switch has been flipped the second we watch him stumble out of the White House one last time. He'll just be a cranky child screaming at the world again, but without the ability to actually cause an international incident.