Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I don't see it as a problem because it's Madonna being Madonna, and I've never cared about any of the so-called "controversial" things she's said. It's the same with any celebrity who gets on stage and says something stupid. It's not worth being concerned over, especially in light of pretty much everything else that's going on.
    Pretty much this. I'm more concerned with Trump baiting Iraq and "what are facts?" than I am with "attention loving celebrity seeks attention".

Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    To be clear: Trump has no merits, so... nothing to debate there.

This time I really am going to let you have that last word. Go ahead. One last sad attempt at an insult my way, free of charge.
    You said the same this last time, your act is so boring.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    The funniest one I've seen so far has been the Born in the USA one:
    https://twitter.com/prttybadtweeter/...20848897069056

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    To be fair, the republican party was NOT in control of the process either... the conservatives are, in the long run, the real losers of this election cycle, because they lost their party to the "right wingers". I think it will be easier for the democrats to regroup, because the GOP will have to pretend that everything is honky dory with Trump while he takes a shit on their values... I'm not saying that you're wrong about the vacuum being filled from the right, what I'm saying that it's the default spirit of the times, and not the result of the right having the foresight to build the momentum.
    Agree. It's the Trumpers who took some level of control over the GOP. The "revolutionaries" if you will. They have been building themselves since the Tea Party days. (Not that TP=Trumpers... it's a weird mix and a whole other topic)

And timing absolutely plays a part of every "revolutionary" change. That's another thing I'm pissed at the left for. There have been quite a few times, especially recently, that they could have leveraged the moment IF they had a foundation ready for it. Shit, we would have Sanders for president right now if they had even a skeleton of what I'm talking about.

You guys have the numbers. It's everything else that is lacking. It kills me to see that because I want to see people succeed in overturning establishment corruption.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I do care for everyone of you, but the thing is....I don't know what to do? Look, I'm half sorry, I'm sorry for sounding like a giant prick who didn't care about anyone. That is not at all what I wanted.

I just want to be able to go on the net, do stuff I like without getting so depressed by how fucking hopeless all of you are. The pessimism is so fucking high all over the place that I think iI need to rename it to Pissimism.

I do care, there's just nothing I really can do. *shrugs* all I am is 20-year-old guy from Oregon who has Aspergers, what the hell am I gonna do? Should I got outside and flood the streets to protest, you know, cuz there aren't any ambulances and fire trucks that need to get through.
    Sure, protesting is really good sometimes, but honestly the greatest thing you can do is VOTE IN THE 2018 MIDTERM ELECTIONS.

It looks like Oregon doesn't have any senators up for reelection that year, but they do have a number of people up for election for the House of Representatives. Check your map and see which congressional district you belong to and vote. If you have friends/family/etc that will listen to you, get them to vote too. The good thing is that Oregon is a pretty reliably blue state (although it looks like the 2nd Congressional district had a Republican who's stuck in there for almost 20 years). You should vote and make sure it STAYS that way. These things matter because these are all the people who actually WRITE the fucking laws of this country. Right now congress is dominated by a bunch of Republican scumbags who will more or less do everything Trump orders them to do. It's a bad fucking situation. But if we can successfully REPLACE those assholes with Dems (or anyone else who's strongly opposed to Trump) it'll make his job way fucking harder. Then we'll actually stand a chance.

You're still fairly young, so it's actually totally normal to feel overwhelmed/helpless about the political situation around you. Something else to consider is getting into some smaller issue that interests you and see what you can do there. After all, you're just one person, you can't save the whole world. But if you get super into a certain topic or issue, you might figure out that there's something you feel inspired to do. Or, at the very least, just learn about things and be part of the conversation. That's my two cents.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    when the Trump admin ordered the National Park twitter account to stop tweeting after posting the crowd size comparison picture.

Actually, the ENTIRE DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR had their Twitter accounts frozen. They did a full slash and burn in response to the National Parks retweet. It was a MUCH BIGGER over-reaction than what you think.

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    "Utter a falsehood"? How about "LIE"? Spicer straight up lied.

Until we call a spade a spade we keep letting them win.
    I don't know, but the press are walking on eggshells right now. They're rightfully terrified that this temperamental blowhard is going to castrate them publicly like this administration already has done with CNN. It's a strange time to be alive. If they really call him out, they will be lambasted.... on fucking Twitter

@sickamongthepure I'm only face-palming because I'm lost for words. As much as I empathize with the statement, I can't click the 'like' button.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-23-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    I don't mean to sound like a giant asshole that doesn't care about peoples feelings but.......the reason why i haven't said anything about what he has done i well.....to be blunt...it hasn't done anything to impact my life.........yet. It's pretty much survival of the fittest at this point.

Trump grabbing someone's pussy is not gonna somehow blow up my apt.

Look i don't like to talk about politics, I try to stay far away from it. I know little to nothing about it....but the truth is, to be blunt....I don't care until it starts to effect me.

Again, I dont want to sound like an asshole, and I expect a lot of facepalms, but its the cold hard truth. you just gonna have to deal with it
    If this is really the way you feel, I hope you didn't vote.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    If they really call him out, they will be lambasted.... on fucking Twitter.
    Is Twitter still a relevant thing? Lots of people I know have abandoned it in the last year or so and we were told in the business module of my music course that it's the only 'big' social media network where the membership is currently shrinking. Although, tumblr seems to be winding down as well.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post, but WHAT. IS. THIS?!?!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    and all of the uber-cynic GOP fuckwits just want to please their amazingly great leader? they are already afraid of him imo. they will never dare telling him the truth even when they themselves recongnize it (highly unlikely anyway).
    Last edited by baudolino; 01-23-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Agree. It's the Trumpers who took some level of control over the GOP. The "revolutionaries" if you will. They have been building themselves since the Tea Party days. (Not that TP=Trumpers... it's a weird mix and a whole other topic)

And timing absolutely plays a part of every "revolutionary" change. That's another thing I'm pissed at the left for. There have been quite a few times, especially recently, that they could have leveraged the moment IF they had a foundation ready for it. Shit, we would have Sanders for president right now if they had even a skeleton of what I'm talking about.

You guys have the numbers. It's everything else that is lacking. It kills me to see that because I want to see people succeed in overturning establishment corruption.
    +1. The "America is already great" sentiment and the strategy of trying to convert "moderate" Republicans were both facepalm-worthy fails on the Dems part. Trump barely did better than McCain or Romney in terms of votes. The Republican base seems fairly consistent in size and rusted-on. The focus going forward needs to be on bringing the disaffected / non-voters into the fold. I feel like Sanders would've had a much better shot at that. My hope is that organisations like the DSA continue to pick up steam. I also feel like this "Russian hacking" crap is going to be the new Benghazi in terms of an endless waste of political energy and media airtime.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

+1. The "America is already great" sentiment and the strategy of trying to convert "moderate" Republicans were both facepalm-worthy fails on the Dems part. Trump barely did better than McCain or Romney in terms of votes. The Republican base seems fairly consistent in size and rusted-on. The focus going forward needs to be on bringing the disaffected / non-voters into the fold. I feel like Sanders would've had a much better shot at that. My hope is that organisations like the DSA continue to pick up steam. I also feel like this "Russian hacking" crap is going to be the new Benghazi in terms of an endless waste of political energy and media airtime.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    everyone should stay home today when your boss calls tell him you thought it was an"ternative workday" cop pulls you over you were following the"akternative" speed-limit. drumf making america alternative again, plus nobody cares.
    -louie

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    This pic of Kerry in the marches is fucking hilarious. Like he was just taking the dog out for a morning stroll and happened to wander into an enormous protest march. This guy could be my neighbor.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Is Twitter still a relevant thing? Lots of people I know have abandoned it in the last year or so and we were told in the business module of my music course that it's the only 'big' social media network where the membership is currently shrinking. Although, tumblr seems to be winding down as well.
    I would definitely say it's relevant now because of Trump, but beyond that who knows. Maybe the shrinkage as it is now has to do with not wanting that association. I'd be interested to know how many people they are losing. I'm definitely thinking twice about continuing on there. Everything I seem to re-tweet is related to him, after swearing to myself I wouldn't after the election was over. That said I have made some nice contact with people on there, occasionally was responded to by people I admire and had more than a few laughs.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Actions speak louder than words.

I may not be happy about this, but going out and throwing a fit and defenestrating random Starbucks windows is fucking stupid, it's immature, and it's not going to solve any problems

As much as I wanted anyone but him to win.........I just can't help it, I've always been the Devil's Advocate....I'm pretty much the poster boy for it.

Look, if he fucks up then i'll take back everything I said, but so far.....it's just day one.

Again, the Pariah is strong, but....let's just see how it goes...i could be very wrong.

I'm just kinda tired of hearing it,

Just seeing how hopeless you are is making me more depressed then him being president is.
    Someone threw a Starbucks through a window? Oh shit.

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Even if Trump is the last person on earth using it, it's his chosen mouthpiece, and as long as it exists it's proven to be a great format for abbreviated jabs and vague promises. I'm sure the horror of having to actually formulate coherent statements or communicate with the public regularly via a medium that doesn't insist upon brevity fills the president with waking dread.

Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    I agree with most of what you're saying. I think the issue regarding Russia's interests right now is the larger point to the "possible hacking" side story, and Trump's praise and flattery of Putin is alarming.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-23-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Some suggest that there are an infinite number of parallel realities where each possible outcome eventually plays out in one of them. If only I could transport myself to the one where Bernie Sanders was just sworn in as President. Of course Id have to murder the me of that universe, dispose of my corpse, and assume my identity. Would that be considered murder or suicide? Also, would it be considered identity theft, or not?
    Well considering I saw an Observer on the Inauguration parade route...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

@sickamongthepure I'm only face-palming because I'm lost for words. As much as I empathize with the statement, I can't click the 'like' button.
    I understand, I only know the extent of that twitter-block because my sister made some connections with a few departments when she won the Federal Duck Stamp a few years ago.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    You know what I'm afraid of, if he loses in 2020 (provided he manages to survive that long). Losing could be so bitter for him we all would surely pay for it.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    You know what I'm afraid of, if he loses in 2020 (provided he manages to survive that long). Losing could be so bitter for him we all would surely pay for it.
    I thought having an apocalyptic meltdown before the dude even sworn into office was questioable enough, but turns out some of you are way ahead of that curve.

No offense, but were you serious when you wrote this comment, or you are just fed up and/or feeling desperate of thinking about possible things to come (which have not yet), and your mind just went ballistic?

I check back here, but observe mainly reddit, where I read r/politics/ (anti-trump) and r/the_donald/ (pro-trump) when they hit r/All/, and my observation is that both sides are in an ever growing echo-chamber, fueling off from the other side. Some of you guys are cutting the tree under you by yourselves.

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    I also feel like this "Russian hacking" crap is going to be the new Benghazi in terms of an endless waste of political energy and media airtime.
    Absolutely. Throw in a large amount of "birth certificate" while GOP treats it like Dems treated Hilary's email.

Such a massive waste of time against someone like Trump. They'd have to find a blatant smoking gun that non-Dems would accept. It's so unlikely.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Absolutely. Throw in a large amount of "birth certificate" while GOP treats it like Dems treated Hilary's email.

Such a massive waste of time against someone like Trump. They'd have to find a blatant smoking gun that non-Dems would accept. It's so unlikely.
    Well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I thought having an apocalyptic meltdown before the dude even sworn into office was questioable enough, but turns out some of you are way ahead of that curve.

No offense, but were you serious when you wrote this comment, or you are just fed up and/or feeling desperate of thinking about possible things to come (which have not yet), and your mind just went ballistic?

I check back here, but observe mainly reddit, where I read r/politics/ (anti-trump) and r/the_donald/ (pro-trump) when they hit r/All/, and my observation is that both sides are in an ever growing echo-chamber, fueling off from the other side. Some of you guys are cutting the tree under you by yourselves.
    Probably not likely. There's a long divide here and the two sides aren't much for talking to each other right now.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I provided links earlier to the US Code which provides that the President, Vice President and Congress are exempt from conflict of interest. Which is nuts but it is what it is.

https://www.google.com/amp/lawnewz.c...?client=safari
    Except that this is in your Constitution: "no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under [the United States] shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State." We'll see if this actually amounts to anything other than words in fancy 18th century handwriting.

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Well...

Probably not likely. There's a long divide here and the two sides aren't much for talking to each other right now.
    That's why it's unlikely. Dems keep fucking around though. It's looking to be 4 years of pointless protest. :/

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I have stopped by this thread many times, I read it all the time and try never to post. However the liberals and the conservatives as well as the Trump supporters you can argue all you want but it doesn't matter Washington is broken and one side obstructs the other side depending on who is in power. it is a never ending cycle on bullshit, and a thirst for power.
    So let me ask everybody this more so to members that live in the United States. What do you think is going to happen? Where do you think this broken government will take us? This really started when George W Bush became president.
    You may dispute my speculation or prediction but Texas has been talking about it for decades and now California is talking about it. SUCCESSION. You may laugh and say that will never happen but in 1999 you would probably laugh at planes flying into buildings but after 9/11 that wasn't funny anymore. I know there is a big difference between a terrorist act and individual states breaking off to form their own countries, but it might not be as out there as you think. I live California and nobody in California can understand why Trump is president and I bet you can go to a mid west state and they are glad Trump is president.
    My point is as a nation we have become so different and have so little in common that politically maybe it is time to part ways. Texas is a very conservative state and has wanted to be its own country for a long time.
    People are tired of the political discourse and not getting anywhere. I for one am embarrassed Trump is the president of the United States. I can very easily see the state of Washington, Oregon and California breaking off from the rest of the country because we are very liberal out here and we don't understand what the fuck is going on with the rest of this country. These three states don't even matter during elections a lot of it has been decided before our polls even close. I am fucking sick of hearing some conservative mouthing off and interrupting a conversation only to interject some opinion that isn't even based on any facts. We are living in an age where opinion wins out over fact, and that is an indirect quote of guest on Bill Mahers show the other night. I agree with it and all this bullshit about fake news FOX NEWS has been doing fake news for 20 years so who gives a fuck.

The west coast doesn't need the rest of this country so I am all for succession. I might not happen in the near future but if the liberals and conservatives continue in this direction it will be inevitably.

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

Trump 2017: Year Zero

Nobody will succeed. It's not even an option anymore. We had a Civil War and that got pulled off the table. Even if it were, the consequences are too great even for a state like CA. I'd leave CA so fast if they did do it.

I don't know what will happen, but if I HAD to bet: it'll be like another 8 years under Bush to the left. The left won't achieve any traction for about 4 years (they are fucked for the upcoming midterms). Then, we start seeing establishment Dems back in power because the left hasn't figured out how to change the Dem party.

The end.

It's basically the opposite of what I want to see happen.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I check back here, but observe mainly reddit,
    Your biggest mistake was trying to find reasonable discourse on Reddit.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Secession sounds good to people until they realize what they would lose in the process.

Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Except that this is in your Constitution: "no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under [the United States] shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State." We'll see if this actually amounts to anything other than words in fancy 18th century handwriting.
    Right, I mentioned that in my prior post, and that his lawyers claim he is donating all foreign profits in order to skirt that (as this article also mentions). His lawyers are pretty heavy-hitters. He has teams of lawyers to get away with shit. It's why people here in Cook County are pissed at how he keeps getting huge property tax reductions at his Trump building in Chicago without including profit valuation in the property assessment (which is customary for everybody else) and has politicians in his pocket, even DEMS.

See this

@DigitalChaos , what alarms me are all the labor union members and states and areas in the Midwest inhabited by strong labor unions that have shifted to supporting REPUBLICANS. Never in my LIFE would I DREAM that any labor union or any of its members NOT be Democrat. The level that Dems have totally fucked up in supporting big business and their own pockets has led to their own demise. This is no longer only about "conservative vs. liberal," it's about people losing their jobs and their bargaining power and they're pissed off and they feel ignored. Some Republicans like Scott Walker in WI divided and conquered, screwing the teachers' union but supporting the police and fire unions. People are saying fuck the social issues, just lower my taxes and let me make more money without giving more to the Government. The unions aren't even socialist brotherhoods, anymore; it's all about money.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-23-2017 at 11:03 PM.