Page 127 of 147 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,810 of 4404

Thread: Trump 2017: Year Zero

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The implications of this seem broad and alarming, but something is going over my head with the intent behind the information disseminated here. Sources seem to be generic pages that spew generic fluff stuff. The internet is already inundated with this. What would be the purpose? Also, the messaging seems to be appealing to a series of "preaching the the choir" stances that sit on both sides of the social political spectrum. Is there a broken down analysis of the strategy?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The implications of this seem broad and alarming, but something is going over my head with the intent behind the information disseminated here. Sources seem to be generic pages that spew generic fluff stuff. The internet is already inundated with this. What would be the purpose? Also, the messaging seems to be appealing to a series of "preaching the the choir" stances that sit on both sides of the social political spectrum. Is there a broken down analysis of the strategy?
    https://thinkprogress.org/russia-fac...-96b2d568b916/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nf...-nfl-1.4347283

Something's got to give at some point, right?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I think the Grand Wizard's beef with the NFL goes back to the days when he was part of the USFL in the early 80s and tried to go to war with the NFL only to kill the USFL because of his bullshit.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    "Give him a chance."

Not even a full year and some real fascism shit is starting to go down. Yes, let's use political power to punish people who are exercising their first amendment right to free speech.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It’s all a diversion from all the other dumb shit he’s doing. There was ONE guy in the NFL taking a knee until Trump fluffed up his moron Alabama fan base at a pep rally by feeding them the fishies they love: racist shit. “Fire those son of a bitches.” Except there was only one, and his MOM is in the Military. But the little white southern sheep ate up the crumbs that Uncle Trump fed them and begged for more, rejoicing in his orange glow.

A few weeks later, 10x more players taking a knee and Trumpee is loving it, it’s all worked exactly as he planned. “Ah, this is almost too easy,” said the Cheeto. So, he challenged Rex Tillerson to an IQ test.

Edit: what’s more disturbing to me is how he was able to take what is a simple and respectful protest (albeit on the job which isn’t protected by the 1st Amendment; the 1st Amendment protects us from being jailed, not fired) and twists it around to completely ignore the point of the protests, and spins the protestors as unAmerican traitor sons of bitches who don’t appreciate anything etc. So he's saying to blacks protesting an unarmed man in Baton Rouge killed by cops (who weren’t charged) to shut up, respect the flag, quit bitching. And now he has thousands of people saying the same thing, following his oppressive racist lead who just don’t get it. All of this is sad.

Yes, many were willing to give him a chance because it respects our democracy. But he’s had that chance and he’s failed from Day One.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-10-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Yes! I said the same thing when this came up again a few weeks ago. The issue was practically dead. The guy did get fired as he didn't have a NFL team position this year. Trump brought this issue back to rally his white people base and made it about respecting the country. So many of FB "friends" jumped on it. Trump's plan worked. They're all talking about standing is respect.

I'm hoping pence's stunt will help trump's base see his shenanigans. It was expensive and pre planned. Plus he's ruining football for them. Their beloved pastime is political more so now than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Another thing about the NFL thing that really bothers me is that it kind of leads to the idea of "pro trump" or "anti-american." And he definitely provoked it on purpose

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Another thing about the NFL thing that really bothers me is that it kind of leads to the idea of "pro trump" or "anti-american." And he definitely provoked it on purpose
    That's a scary thing to think about.

I can't imagine that he's not setting it up that way on purpose. It sounds like something his narcissistic brain would think.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    We really are living in the Upside Down, if two of America's strongest liberal voices are Eminem (practically the face of homophobia once upon a time) and Jimmy Kimmel (who once did a skit in full blackface on The Man Show, and was referred to as a "friend of the show" by Bill O'Riley).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Eminem was merely mimicking a pretty common theme in black culture in his lyrics. I’m not sure that he, himself, is actually homophobic. FWIW. I don’t think he is classifying himself as “liberal,” either. He just HATES Trump.

But Em hated Bush, too, so this isn’t a big surprise.

It’s this classification thing that’s divided the country even further, as well as these types of accusations, “But Obama USED to be against gay marriage.” We all need to stop doing that shit.

Trump’s strategy is: Divide and Conquer

And it’s working.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-11-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'll say this much: if being anti-Trump means being anti-American, then I will proudly proclaim myself as anti-American. I couldn't give two shits about what country I live in, so long as I'm proud of the way the country treats its people. And I'm not super proud of the way that's going these days.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I believe we all know that being anti-Trump does not mean being anti-America. It’s just more nationalist fear-monger shit.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Eminem was merely mimicking a pretty common theme in black culture in his lyrics. I’m not sure that he, himself, is actually homophobic. FWIW. I don’t think he is classifying himself as “liberal,” either. He just HATES Trump.

But Em hated Bush, too, so this isn’t a big surprise.

It’s this classification thing that’s divided the country even further, as well as these types of accusations, “But Obama USED to be against gay marriage.” We all need to stop doing that shit.

Trump’s strategy is: Divide and Conquer

And it’s working.

Agreed completely, it's his strategy, and oddly enough from what I can gather about the Russian election tampering, that was their goal too. They didn't appear to be pushing anything overtly Trump, just pushing anything to increase the divisions within the country.

That's maddening.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I believe we all know that being anti-Trump does not mean being anti-America. It’s just more nationalist fear-monger shit.
    I know, I know. Just saying....IF that's how somebody chooses to shoehorn me into their views, then I'll gladly chose anti-America over pro-Trump in their bizarre and unhinged mindset.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    this is nothing more than shoveling read meat to his base again because of the fact that he has zero legislative wins, his base is mostly racist, notice i said mostly i try not to use all encompassing phrases, like "all, every and always" this has noting to do with patriotism the flag, veterans, or anything else mush mind says, it was to do with a black man peacefully protesting racial injustice in America full stop.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...r-arsenal.html

Yep. So that's a thing now too.

When will this end?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Jesus. At what point does someone just straight up call him a dictator and get disappeared?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't doubt that network news does publish stuff that's unsubstantiated (and borders on "fake" news, sometimes even IS "fake news).

HOWEVER ...

We have a POTUS who is OBSESSED with network coverage of him, OBSESSED with his ratings, OBSESSED with his ego.

He's pretty much a Nixon clone.

"In November of 1969, Nixon asked “the great silent majority of my fellow Americans” for their support in remaining steadfast in Vietnam. In Nixon’s formulation, a radical minority—those advocating for civil rights, hippies, student activists, and anyone against the war in Vietnam—was trying to undermine the nation from within. For America to succeed at home and abroad, the “silent majority”—the good part of America—had to stand up (i.e. support Nixon and his policies) and defeat the bad part.
    See this.

nattering nabobs of negativism

A phrase used by Vice President Spiro Agnew to refer to the members of the media with whom he had a very acrimonious relationship.

Said Agnew while speaking to the California Republican state convention on September 11, 1970: “In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism. They have formed their own 4-H Club — the ‘hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history.'”

While the phrase is generally attributed to Agnew, it was actually written by White House speechwriter William Safire.

Will Bunch: “The words that William Safire penned and that Spiro Agnew mouthed actually had enormous impact that has lasted until this day. They helped foster among conservatives and the folks that Nixon called ‘the silent majority’ a growing mistrust of the mainstream media, a mistrust that grew over two generations into a form of hatred. It also started a dangerous spiral of events — journalists started bending backwards to kowtow to their conservative critics, beginning in the time of Reagan, an ill-advised shift that did not win back a single reader or viewer on the right. Instead, it caused a lot of folks on the left and even the center to wonder why the national media had stopped doing its job, stopped questioning authority.”
    "Two events in the early 1960s convinced the right that creating conservative media wasn’t enough to achieve balance. The right would also have to discredit existing media."
    Last edited by allegro; 10-11-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...r-arsenal.html

Yep. So that's a thing now too.

When will this end?
    to be fair, he didn't really "threaten" it; he asked "at what point is it appropriate?" which isn't a threat, really. But media will spin it this way to get more revenue.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    to be fair, he didn't really "threaten" it; he asked "at what point is it appropriate?" which isn't a threat, really. But media will spin it this way to get more revenue.
    There doesn't need to be a media spin on it. Even asking the question will whip his supporters into a frenzy. Conversely, can you imagine the outrage that would have happened if President Obama (during his term) had taken to a personal social media account and said "at what point is it appropriate to censor Fox News"? That's what Trump's message is - he may not be directly threatening to make it happen, but he's planting the idea in his followers' heads and they're lapping it up because they're too stupid to think for themselves. (Not all of his supporters, mind you - but a frighteningly large number.)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ...which is exactly what he wants. He wants everyone who's against him to look bad, and the more he pushes the media to demonize him, the better he looks to supporters. It's always been a ploy. Note that I'm not saying he's a genius tactition; these are elementary school propaganda tactics. The problem is that they almost always work.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    after 4 years of trump, the public will be screaming and demanding the new world order.

not to be all conspiracy theorists or anything. but thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    ...which is exactly what he wants. He wants everyone who's against him to look bad, and the more he pushes the media to demonize him, the better he looks to supporters. It's always been a ploy. Note that I'm not saying he's a genius tactition; these are elementary school propaganda tactics. The problem is that they almost always work.
    Yup, it’s just more of his Nixonian divisiveness.

In this case, what he proposes is impossible: http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/11/medi...eet/index.html

(Note that Nixon already tried it with the Washington Post.)

Trump wouldn’t BE PRESIDENT without CNN, but he complains just to spin bad press.

And tries to shut down anything and anyone making him look bad.

It’s totally Nixon, right out of the Nixon playbook.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.01cf806d3b61

NIXON: That's right. Right. The main thing is The Post is going to have damnable, damnable problems out of this one. They have a television station.

JOHN DEAN: That's right, they do.

NIXON: And they're going to have to get it renewed.

H.R. HALDEMAN: They've got a radio station, too.

NIXON: Does that come up, too? The point is, when does it come up?

DEAN: I don't know. But the practice of non-licensees filing on top of licensees has certainly gotten more . . .

NIXON: That's right.

DEAN: . . . more active in the, in the area.

NIXON: And it's going to be God damn active here.

DEAN: (Laughs)

NIXON: Well, the game has to be played awfully rough. I don't know — now, you, you'll follow through with — who will over there? Who — Timmons, or with Ford, or — How's it going to operate?
    Last edited by allegro; 10-11-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Trump wouldn’t BE PRESIDENT without CNN, but he complains just to spin bad press.
    This.

It frustrates me so much that Trump rags on CNN no end, when it was CNN that gave Trump wall to wall coverage all the way from the primaries, paving his way right into the White House. CNN utterly adored and promoted Trump the spectacle, the curiosity, the TV star, the outrage, it was all coverage and it gave him exactly the push he needed. And Trump is very dishonest when he talks like CNN is his enemy, CNN is his best friend, right behind Fox News and Breitbart.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I honestly don't believe Eminem is homophobic. The strongest social critique of him relates to misogyny. So yeah, it's a bit fucked to see that get overlooked, in the age of ending careers over that stuff, because he bashed Trump. But we all know modern feminism prioritizes partisan politics over women.
    The entire hip hop genre includes misogyny; I don’t grok why that is so culturally acceptable, it sure wouldn’t be if I ruled the world. I’ve never seen it get “overlooked,” we studied it in college, the industry and media has been questioning it for decades.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b00483d3b5cd77

Cock Rock includes plenty of it, too.

But this is drift ...
    Last edited by allegro; 10-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    You can say all kinds of nasty shit as long as you sound good doing it. Because it's ART. Bitch.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I honestly don't believe Eminem is homophobic.
    It's possible that he was at one time, based off ignorance, but he certainly is not anymore. He talked about it when he performed with Elton John years ago.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    You can say all kinds of nasty shit as long as you sound good doing it. Because it's ART. Bitch.
    All these latest scandals re sexual harassment of women (which most females have experienced at some point in their lives, including yours truly) show that it’s an epidemic that’s way worse than most realize.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/damon...weinstein.html

Of course, the Cheeto was elected in spite of it.