Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Lineup Speculation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2017 Lineup Speculation

So we're getting at least one show this year, so that means there's going to be a live band of some sort. I'm curious to see who you think will be, or would like to see in the latest incarnation.

If we're going by the pool from the "friends of nin" section, I'd say Alessandro, JMJ, Josh Eustis, Ilan, Robin, and Atticus are all possibilities.

Personally I'm open to anyone as long as Robin and Alessandro are involved.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm guessing the 'core' will be TR, Atticus, Alessandro, Robin and Ilan, and then MAYBE Josh Eustis (hopefully).

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I don't think JMJ is a candidate at all, based on the same reasons as last time (basically, the typical grueling NIN touring schedule isn't for him anymore).

I think Ally and Ilan are safe bets. Robin probably too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As long as robin is on guitar I'm good. I would love to see josh freese return but Ilan is cool.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I think a lot of us are in the same boat of "we want Robin and Ally, and either Ilan or Josh would be cool for drums".
    Ilan seems a little busy with his own band now, though. Josh could come back, since he supposedly left because he wanted to spend more time home with his kids, who are now substantially older. That could go either way. Robin is done working on that video game soundtrack, and nobody ever knows what is going on with his solo album, so he ~should~ be free (plus, as has been mentioned elsewhere, Trent has commented that it doesn't feel right with Robin not there, so here's hoping he sticks to that and keeps him on the team).
    I would think Atticus' status as an official member of NIN would mean he would be a part of the touring group in some way.

My thoughts: NIN seems to work best as a 5-piece. Changing that to fewer or more were interesting interpretations of the live band, don't get me wrong I loved having Pino to hold down bass duty like nobody's business, and the singers were amazing. But in the end, the 5 person band seems to hold up the best. Bass, guitar, drums, synth, and the tambourine man. My dream lineup would be bringing back the LITS lineup. Robin is my all-time favorite guitarist for NIN, Josh was not only an amazing drummer but also a ridiculous person who brought that to his performance, JMJ could go from groovy to badass to finger cymbals, and Ally is good at plugging things in and turning knobs and pushing buttons. I doubt we'll ever get that exact lineup again, though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I just want the usual: a mix of old and new faces. There never was a new touring era which didn't include people of both categories.

A nice lineup would be:
    Trent
    Robin
    David J on bass
    Atticus on keys/other stuff (he's probably a given this time)
    Josh Freese (not happening)
    Zack Alford on drums

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can see Trent on the 'phone to Eric Avery and Adrian Belew... 'No, really, it will just be a handful of dates this time, I promise!'

Personally I liked Josh in the band, so I'd be pleased to see him back. To be honest I'm not expecting any huge changes in the line-up. Hmm.. saying that - what's Dave Grohl up to these days? Apart from his NTAE appearance I've not heard much about him lately. It'd be fun to see him as a full NIN member, even if it's just for a short tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wish they brought back Danny Lohner - Charlie Clouser - Jerome Dillon.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    It's hard to guess, when 1-2 months prior to their first date Trent might have a vivid dream, and the next day he marches into rehearsals, telling everyone that he wants 3 midget dancers, a lion and not 3 but 7 and a half screens.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    what's Dave Grohl up to these days? Apart from his NTAE appearance I've not heard much about him lately. It'd be fun to see him as a full NIN member, even if it's just for a short tour.
    Foo Fighters are actually doing several festivals this summer, so that should effectively rule him out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's a random thought: Johnny Marr. I mean, if Modest Mouse can convince him to join for a while, why not NIN? And, he doesn't seem to be busy with anything at the moment. Granted, it's hard to imagine both him and Robin in the same lineup, but it would certainly be a very different band, and something I could get excited about.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I doubt Josh Eustis would be back. From my understanding, it didn't end very well for him and NIN.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think the only questions here are who will be on bass (unless they're going to do 4pc style and have Ilan handle that), and if both Cortini and Ross are heading out. I suppose there is precedence because both Cortini and Ross came out for HTDA....

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I doubt Josh Eustis would be back. From my understanding, it didn't end very well for him and NIN.
    If it ended badly, he's taking the high road. http://www.self-titledmag.com/2014/0...-of-magdalene/

What was it like playing with the band on tour, and why did you ultimately leave Nine Inch Nails last year?
    Playing in NIN was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and of course, it was fucking nuts for a guy like me. My Chicago homecoming show was headlining Lollapalooza! I could never have imagined as a kid that I’d get to do something like that. It was comfortable and easy touring; it felt very cush to me. I didn’t leave, though; I was let go. He cut the band down to essentials, and I wasn’t exactly essential to the lineup. I was more of ‘a little something extra’. It was a good ride though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yeah. He's definitely taking the high road, and is still friends with Trent. But a lot of black queen fans who talked to Josh said it didn't end to well. Something like he was under utilized and when Trent decided to go to a four piece he was the first to go.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    //edit

sorry, misunderstood your stmt. n/m
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 01-10-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I mean, Tension 2013 Arena shows were not sold out....

If management goes to Trent and says, "Hey, 5 piece band to tour the world will cost you X vs. 4 piece you did that last time..." after a modest financial gain, you would look into going smaller line-up too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    With recent news, I have a strong feeling the lineup is going to be TR, Ross, Mariqueen, Grohl and Navarro for a one-off show and that's it. The fact that the announcement had the NTAE artwork on it means this is going to be NTAE centric.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    With recent news, I have a strong feeling the lineup is going to be TR, Ross, Mariqueen, Grohl and Navarro for a one-off show and that's it. The fact that the announcement had the NTAE artwork on it means this is going to be NTAE centric.
    A 22 minute headlining set would be epic. Bullshit, but epic.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I will fucking DIE if Dave is in the lineup. That has been my dream for so long.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Imagine Dave Grohl playing March of the Pigs!
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 01-13-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Imagine Dave Grohl playing March of the Pigs!
    I do, every night when I touch myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ilan confirmed on a live stream he will be playing with NIN this year.
    Pretty obvious since he can play superbly any fucking thing!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Schema View Post
    Ilan confirmed on a live stream he will be playing with NIN this year.
    Pretty obvious since he can play superbly any fucking thing!
    Did he indicate if it was more than just the one show at Panorama?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don't think he said anything about that, but I couldn't watch the whole stream, so I can't really say.
    I just asked if he was going to play this year with NIN, and he simply said that he will be.
    Anyways I don't think a single live show is worth all the hassle of the preparations needed for a headliner show, so I'm pretty sure there will be other dates.
    I've got the feeling something's being hidden from us... We will know when the time comes!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    lol

A. It's clearly more than one show. Doing just one show makes no sense and if it was then Panorama would be promoting the fuck out of that fact.

B. If Ilan had addressed this, do you think that @Silent_Schema would just have somehow forgotten to bring that up in his post? Like he just glossed over that huge chunk of info by accident?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Where did Ilan say that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Where did Ilan say that?
    He did a live stream on instagram, where he answered questions from people, more or less like an AMA.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Ilan overall impressed me more than any other member of the band on the 2013/14 tour cycles, so I'm more than glad to have him back. When they were just a four piece and he was sprinting from a drum kit to synths and modulators during songs like March of the Pigs, he blew me the fuck away.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Ilan is the man, as pointed out above. Tough shoes to fill to come in after Freese, but he's done an awesome job & short of Freese or Dave Grohl on the kit, he is exactly who i want in the band. Can't imagine a NIN show w/o him & Robin. Now I'm smiling to myself like a cornball when I see those two walk on stage in July. Like seeing old friends again.