Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017.07.30 - New York City, NY @ Panorama Music Festival

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Preoccupations (formerly known as Viet Cong) has fun new wave-influenced post-punk and I've seen them do a brief set at Basilica Soundscape in the Hudson Valley. Here they are:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Now this I like @joplinpicasso . Thanks!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Anyone else that's going to Panorama a little miffed that the FYF date has now been added a week beforehand?
    It's dumb, I know, but I was excited to get to see some of the new NTAE material performed live for the very first time, but now FYF will get those instead.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Nah. I just gotta try to remain strong and avoid seeing any spoilers of the show before I go.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Anyone else that's going to Panorama a little miffed that the FYF date has now been added a week beforehand?
    It's dumb, I know, but I was excited to get to see some of the new NTAE material performed live for the very first time, but now FYF will get those instead.
    Yup, had the exact same thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So strongly thinking of going would be flying in. Where should I stay, what should I do besides see NIN?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah plus FYF's line up pisses all over Panorama's. Oh well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Oh yeah. I'm a shade of angry just under "pissed off".

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_NIN65 View Post
    So strongly thinking of going would be flying in. Where should I stay, what should I do besides see NIN?
    How long you in town? It's NYC, so asking what to do is a loaded question. Some suggestions:

walk around Central Park
    Go to the Met
    get a burger at JG Mellon by The Met
    get Chinese food late night at Wo Hop in Chinatown. Downstairs, NOT upstairs.
    Dinner one night at DBGB, or if you wanna go fancy (and expensive) than any of Daniel Boloud's fancier spots (Daniel, Boloud, Bar Boloud)
    go shopping in Soho aloing & around Broadway
    Walk along the promenade in Brooklyn Heights for dope shots of the Brooklyn Bridge and downtown Manhattan
    take the brand new MTA train going along 2nd Ave
    go up the Empire State Building, but do NOT support that same bullshit down at the Freedom Tower
    Tons of cool bars on the Lower East Side to go out at night. Start at Katz' Deli and just explore from there. You'll find a place for you, there are hundreds
    take a tour at the Tenement Museum to learn about the immigrant experience in the LES during the 1800's and 1900's. You get to talk through an authentic and preserved tenement building from that era.
    Take the Staten Island Ferry to SI & back for cool pics of the Statue & NYC. And it's free!
    get dessert at Milk & Cookies in lower Chelsea
    Come visit me at my radio stations (jk dont do that we dont know each other and it might get weird)
    dont get mugged
    See Book of Mormon, Avenue Q or a good play.

Stuff to do in Brooklyn would be a whole other post.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Listen to @bobbie solo and below are my tips:

From my first NYC experience a few years ago, you really can't go wrong with Katz's Deli. Pastrami stacked a mile high between your choice of bread.
    Walk around Central Park (I didn't but I did jog around its slightly smaller twin, Prospect Park in Brooklyn).
    Go to the museums if that's your thing (I fucked up and didn't go to any despite the fact that I was staying just down the street from the Brooklyn Museum).
    Look up at the Empire State Building from one of the benches right in front of it (or do the observation deck for $60)
    Go to Flushing and/or Astoria in Queens
    Take a subway to Manhattan, walk around, and explore as much as you can

There really is so much more I could list but can't think of off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips, may only be coming for one night solo. Figured I could still have time for a couple of things. I think I could go to Katz for lunch when I get there then check out the Staten Ferry and Central Park before the show, and check out Times Square after the show?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips, may only be coming for one night solo. Figured I could still have time for a couple of things. I think I could go to Katz for lunch when I get there then check out the Staten Ferry and Central Park before the show, and check out Times Square after the show?
    If you do go to Katz's, this is very very important: it's cash only.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    thats a very big day, part. in what could be a VERY hot day, but it's def. doable.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    If you do go to Katz's, this is very very important: the bread is fucking terrible

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    also $20 for a sandwich.

i can't read your username without humming that rupaul song, @TheRealNs1 .
    Last edited by kel; 03-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For those of you visiting Saturday: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-6-eXkX...jpg&name=large

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    What is this? Don't go to Katz's! Go get some ice cream at the Brooklyn waterfront by Jane's Carousel. Also, yep, the SI Ferry is where one can legally imbibe alcohol on public transportation if one is inclined to. Maritime law, baby!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Meetup before this?? Just saying!

less than 50 days!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yeeeeeeesssssssss, to answer the meet-up question.
    Last edited by Rubeninphoenix; 06-08-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: messed up!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Flight and ticket are officially booked. I'm definitely going to try and avoid any show spoilers since this is so shortly after the first one, anyway -- will be my first NIN show where I won't know what the production is or the setlist is whatsoever.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I am so down for a meet up, btw.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Meet up = ok

"Meat up" = Feisty, eh?

I'll see myself out...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Me gusta.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    My brother and I are just flying in for the day. Anyone from the NYC area know of a good bar we could meet up at beforehand?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    My brother and I are just flying in for the day. Anyone from the NYC area know of a good bar we could meet up at beforehand?
    where u and your brother can meet up, or where ETS members can meet up? I'm thinking about size of the bar here.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think we may as well go ahead and try and plan out some sort of meeting spot for anyone from ETS that wants to hang out now that way there's less last-minute planning and confusion later on. @Sarah K and I are going to be together for the fest, @ninlive and his brother will be there, etc. Maybe we should get a Facebook event thing set up or whatever? (I'm the worst with that stuff.)

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I think we may as well go ahead and try and plan out some sort of meeting spot for anyone from ETS that wants to hang out now that way there's less last-minute planning and confusion later on. @Sarah K and I are going to be together for the fest, @ninlive and his brother will be there, etc. Maybe we should get a Facebook event thing set up or whatever? (I'm the worst with that stuff.)
    Say no more fam. Already had that covered!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1692261794120815/

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Does this mean like... morning drinking?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This is a vacation for me anyway so I see no issues with modest amounts of day-drinking and, in fact, would be more alarmed if I didn't engage in it