Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I wouldn't trust anything he says.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    So, considering this is the 2017 Live Tour Discussion:

Source
    He says they're not touring. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that will be the only show they do this year. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple shows are announced down the road.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I find it hard to believe a single festival performance would justify getting a band together/rehearsing/having a stage designed, etc. It's gotta be a huge paycheck.
    Unless they do something really simple, like a two-piece band with minimal lighting, but I can't see that happening either. For a short, hardcore fan centric club tour that would make sense, but maybe not to headline a festival...

That being said, it being a one-off makes that show so much more exciting though.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails - 2017 Live Tour Discussion

I refuse to believe the festival date is the only nin show this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    It may or may not be, but a handful of festival appearances does not really count as 'touring', per se. TR is a busy man, and the giant worldwide trek for Hesitation Marks is not something he seems eager to repeat. Kids in school and all that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Maybe they are doing a residency

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I refuse to believe the festival date the only show this year.
    I agree, it isn't like nin is an active "band" that can just decide hey, let's get together and play some shows to make money. I assume it takes some effort to get a band together, learn songs that the musicians were not involved in writing and may not be performing on their respective instruments, create and execute some sort of stage show, etc.

Although it would be kind of cool to do a full set in the Kraftwerk style they have used recently, I am not sure that would be the best for a festival setting. I also don't know how well it would work to play a straight set like a regular rock band (Pearl Jam for example). They have always set the bar pretty high in terms of performances so I am intrigued. If they had just completed a tour or were in the middle of legs a low effort one-off festival show would make sense, but as a first show in a few years it would be weird not to do something interesting.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    I find it hard to believe a single festival performance would justify getting a band together/rehearsing/having a stage designed, etc. It's gotta be a huge paycheck.
    Unless they do something really simple, like a two-piece band with minimal lighting, but I can't see that happening either. For a short, hardcore fan centric club tour that would make sense, but maybe not to headline a festival...

That being said, it being a one-off makes that show so much more exciting though.
    No one said anything about designing a new stage. He's played with so many musicians that it wouldn't take long to rehearse a set of stuff that's been played hundreds of times before.

I wouldn't expect to be blown away by a festival show. Probably 16-18 tracks, maybe one or two of them on the "rarer" side of things. Don't expect this to be a show that old fans who have seen them several times before will lose their shit over.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    No one said anything about designing a new stage. He's played with so many musicians that it wouldn't take long to rehearse a set of stuff that's been played hundreds of times before.

I wouldn't expect to be blown away by a festival show. Probably 16-18 tracks, maybe one or two of them on the "rarer" side of things. Don't expect this to be a show that old fans who have seen them several times before will lose their shit over.
    Then I don't really get why they're only doing one/very few shows. What's the benefit of playing a "standard" show you've done hundreds of times and not having a tour accompany it? It seems so unusual, especially because it's a festival.

Money can't be it. And if Trent just wants to play a few shows again without having to tour for a couple of months, he could easily do that with NIN on its own. No need for festivals, which in general probably aren't that great for both the band and the fans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    I wouldn't trust anything he says.
    This. Last time when the word got out they were doing shows, when asked he said no new music, just doing some shows! Then right before the shows, I lied, there's a new record coming out!

Heck, in this interview he says they're working on a full NIN album but it probably won't be done this year, last month it was two major works this year.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Y'all. Maybe it's a string of festival dates. Just FYI, Lollapalooza is the next weekend and that lineup has still yet to come out.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I mean, is there are any real reason to believe that the interview was done in the past few days and not a month or so ago and just now got released? That note about the Panorama fest is 100% the kind of thing I could see an editor choosing to wedge in due to its appropriateness after the fact and a lot of publications can take a bit to fully proof and edit something, as well as pick the right time to put it out.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Then I don't really get why they're only doing one/very few shows. What's the benefit of playing a "standard" show you've done hundreds of times and not having a tour accompany it? It seems so unusual, especially because it's a festival.

Money can't be it. And if Trent just wants to play a few shows again without having to tour for a couple of months, he could easily do that with NIN on its own. No need for festivals, which in general probably aren't that great for both the band and the fans.
    Why can't it be money? And what would be wrong with it if it was? Headlining a festival is a six to seven figure payday. If you're a husband and father working as a composer and musician for a living, why would you turn down a big paycheck? He's working on soundtracks, NIN, HDTA...these things aren't free. It would make perfect sense to accept the right offer for no other reason than to maintain financial stability.

But let's assume it's not just money. Ever considered that he misses playing live, but not enough to want to tour? Maybe this is a good middle ground. Or maybe he just wants to dip his toe into the live scene and see what kind of reaction he gets, and use that as a benchmark for upcoming gig decisions. And of course, maybe you just haven't heard about other dates yet.........

But point being, money can be all, and there's nothing wrong with that. Music is his job. Jobs pay the bills.
    Last edited by theimage13; 01-12-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    maybe you just haven't heard about other dates yet..........
    Have you?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    @theimage13 Huh? It seems like you're misinterpreting my post.

At no point I said something about money being wrong, I just assumed it wouldn't be a reason for Trent to play a one-off show. I imagine he's a financially stable guy — although I agree I'm not in a position to make that statement. Either way, I feel like it's notthat far-fetched and it seems that he is someone who's thinking about playing shows from an artistic point of view rather than paying bills.

Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Ever considered that he misses playing live, but not enough to want to tour?
    Yeah. I literally wrote that in the post you quoted. I just always had the impression that he doesn't like festivals that much and that's the reason I wondered.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So, considering this is the 2017 Live Tour Discussion:

Source
    This is the same guy that said he was done with touring. I have the tour poster on my wall saying so.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    @theimage13 Huh? It seems like you're misinterpreting my post.

At no point I said something about money being wrong, I just assumed it wouldn't be a reason for Trent to play a one-off show. I imagine he's a financially stable guy — although I agree I'm not in a position to make that statement. Either way, I feel like it's notthat far-fetched and it seems that he is someone who's thinking about playing shows from an artistic point of view rather than paying bills.

Anyway.

Yeah. I literally wrote that in the post you quoted. I just always had the impression that he doesn't like festivals that much and that's the reason I wondered.
    This is what happens when I switch tabs to ETS between bouts of trying to figure out how the hell to roll a nearly decade old retirement plan into a different one at a new employer. My brain isn't working right at the moment.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I'd expect maybe another festival date or two at most. Maybe Outside Lands in SF or Lollapalooza. Trent probably has a longstanding relationship with Goldenvoice, so the exclusiveness of this performance may be a selling point to fans and people attending the festival. It's been two years since the last tour? I would think if this is a lone date or one of a handful of shows, maybe he has the same crew from the NIN/SG tour since it's probably embedded in them and easy to pull off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I already booked a room for Lollapalooza just in case, lol. I could always cancel if they don't play but I believe they will. The dates are just to close to not do it, plus ain't he super cool with them guys?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Remember when Atticus was a guest on the final shows of the 2009 tour? I'd like a whole concert like that; only TRAR and their millions of laptops, synths, amps, gadgets, swarmatrons, iPads, PlayStations, that skull-shaped lamp, John Lennon's Mellotron etc. and just let 'em rip.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Just bought my ticket for Panorama!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Remember when Atticus was a guest on the final shows of the 2009 tour? I'd like a whole concert like that; only TRAR and their millions of laptops, synths, amps, gadgets, swarmatrons, iPads, PlayStations, that skull-shaped lamp, John Lennon's Mellotron etc. and just let 'em rip.
    would much rather see Robert Fripp's mellotron, but that's just me

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    the next important step @ nin.com: adding topic "Tour" on the menu.
    Yes... the "LIVE" button arrived on the menu

this means, there's coming more!

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    would much rather see Robert Fripp's mellotron, but that's just me
    He uses an iPad app these days, haha.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm kinda torn. I'm not sure whether to buy tix for this NYC festival or just wait around and see if Trent will do shows closer to my neck of the woods. What would you guys suggest?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    I'm kinda torn. I'm not sure whether to buy tix for this NYC festival or just wait around and see if Trent will do shows closer to my neck of the woods. What would you guys suggest?
    I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting it out. At worst I believe you can find a Sunday only ticket for near face value (maybe even cheaper) on a ticket resale site later on.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

this means, there's coming more!
    Oh, so THAT'S What he's calling touring these days... "Playing Live"

OK, I'll play along... NIN aren't touring in 2017, nope. Not at all. Trent is right, NIN aren't touring in 2017. They're "Playing live"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Hoping for a Spring or Fall tour, only because a Summer tour will mean going all the way to fucking Mansfield for me.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting it out. At worst I believe you can find a Sunday only ticket for near face value (maybe even cheaper) on a ticket resale site later on.
    That's what I did for Made In America when NIN headlined. People will often buy 3-day passes, which give you the individual tickets, and then sell the day(s) they don't care about for a little under face value to cut the cost for the days they care about. It was actually the cheapest NIN show I had gone to since WT, maybe LITS.