Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2017

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I think pitchfork realized they fucked up the NTAE review by assigning it to someone who was clueless, because when they did the Fragile reissue a few weeks later, the reviewer know a LOT about NIN and gave it the proper review..Same thing happened when they had someone who clearly knew very little about Faith No More review their 'Sol Invictus' album and they gave it a bad review, then 2 weeks later when 'The Real Thing/Angel Dust' reissue came out, they assigned it to a reviewer who was almost like Mike Patton's biographer and who gave it a brilliant review..At least they seem to rectify their fuckups nowadays compared to a decade ago when they were assholes all the time
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 07-26-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I think pitchfork realized they fucked up the NTAE review by assigning it to someone who was clueless, because when they didthe Fragile reissue a few weeks later, the reviewer know a LOT about NIN and gave it the proper review..Same thing that happened when they had someone who clearly knew very little about Faith No More review their 'Sol Invictus'; album and they gave it a bad review, then 2 weeks later when 'The Real Thing/Angel Dust' reissue came out, they assigned it to a reviewer who was almost like Mike Pattons biographer and who gave it a brilliant review..At least they seem to rectify their fuckups nowadays compared to a decade ago when they were assholes all the time
    To be fair ... their Jet review is god tier.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I think pitchfork realized they fucked up the NTAE review by assigning it to someone who was clueless, because when they didthe Fragile reissue a few weeks later, the reviewer know a LOT about NIN and gave it the proper review..Same thing that happened when they had someone who clearly knew very little about Faith No More review their 'Sol Invictus'; album and they gave it a bad review, then 2 weeks later when 'The Real Thing/Angel Dust' reissue came out, they assigned it to a reviewer who was almost like Mike Pattons biographer and who gave it a brilliant review..At least they seem to rectify their fuckups nowadays compared to a decade ago when they were assholes all the time
    TBH, I like the good press as a NIN fan, but as a music fan in general, I'd rather read an unbiaised opinion from someone who's not a hardcore fan. You get a better sense of how the album might do outside the fanbase. Lately, I'm feeling like Pitchfork are well aware of the huge NIN demographic and are purposely giving better press these days to attract clicks/likes/shares... and it works, because here we are.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ^^^ Coukdnt agree more. On one hand you have a NIN fan that can't be too harsh on it. On the other, such as the original TF review, you have someone who who wouldn't give it a proper review no matter how good the album is (or isn't) due to the fact that dude never liked NIN.

Middle ground is the best and most honest.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's not an insult...
    Dirge sounds like an insult to me - She's Gone Away I can relate to being described as that, but not TITP. Suggests one-dimensional to me, which is far from the truth.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    TBH, I like the good press as a NIN fan, but as a music fan in general, I'd rather read an unbiaised opinion from someone who's not a hardcore fan. You get a better sense of how the album might do outside the fanbase. Lately, I'm feeling like Pitchfork are well aware of the huge NIN demographic and are purposely giving better press these days to attract clicks/likes/shares... and it works, because here we are.
    I don't think so. The review for Hesitation Marks for example was pretty poorly written. I see an improvement. I do feel like the Add Violence review is objective and naturally subjective.

Pitchfork's review of Add Violence does not seem to be aware of NIN-fans at all, it is consistent with rest of the reviews the EP has been getting, overall the scores are very positive, much more than NTAE.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I think pitchfork is well aware their reviews are being read by the musicians themselves (ESP in NINs case since TR has mentioned them a few times)...I always thought their review of the 2010 remaster of PHM was spot on.....I get the idea of not wanting hardcore fans to review NIN on pitchfork, except the problem is when you have clueless reviewers who dont know the history of the band, you get idiotic statements like on the NTAE review when the reviewer mentions the "Nirvana-meets-NIN 2009 single “

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Oh so we're OBSESSIVES now????

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Interview with Steve Gottlieb about inaccuracies in The Defiant Ones (which I can't see). However an interview with John Fryer backs up Trents statement of gottlieb calling PHM an abortion yet he denies it.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...e-defiant-ones

John Fryer interview
    http://www.soundonsound.com/people/4ad-nine-inch-nails
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-27-2017 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Changed source to billboard interview

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Oh so we're OBSESSIVES now????

When have we, as NIN fans, NOT been?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    This Isn't The Place - a centrepiece dirge - what is this reviewer on about!?!

Well, it IS in the middle of the EP and I feel the definition of the word "dirge" applies here ("a lament for the dead, especially one forming part of a funeral rite." or "a mournful song, piece of music, or poem").

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Dirge sounds like an insult to me - She's Gone Away I can relate to being described as that, but not TITP. Suggests one-dimensional to me, which is far from the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Well, it IS in the middle of the EP and I feel the definition of the word "dirge" applies here ("a lament for the dead, especially one forming part of a funeral rite." or "a mournful song, piece of music, or poem").
    yeah, while some writers have used the word dirge as a pejorative term, i think here it was really meant to indicate the idea of each center track on its respective EP being a sort of...breath. a pause in the energy that's more about quiet emotion.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Interview with Steve Gottlieb about inaccuracies in The Defiant Ones (which I can't see). However an interview with John Fryer backs up Trents statement of gottlieb calling PHM an abortion yet he denies it.

http://remixsessions.com/2017/07/ste...nes-got-wrong/

John Fryer interview
    http://www.soundonsound.com/people/4ad-nine-inch-nails
    Thanks for sharing these. Did you notice in the Gottlieb interview that every single instance of the word "of" is missing? Even when it was part of a word like "offer". Weird.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Nothing wrong with trying to get the message out to more people. That's the only way an artist can make money these days.

My point was that that article seems to have its feet firmly planted in the mid-'90s.

But that final quotation can also be interpreted as a dick move. Screw the established audience; they'll buy this shit regardless. Let's just keep them waiting for their 7-month-old pre-orders and sell that same product to new fans at the shows.
    That's the cynical point of view. I don't necessary believe it's true.

The irony is that he talks about the "walled-garden effect" yet in the last 10 years or so, NIN has become increasingly self-referential (earliest example I can think of is the tiny little dot in Only).
    And the idea of locking yourself in to one medium (in this case, vinyl) is a walled garden in itself. Anti-choice.
    It's a matter of perspective. The glass is either half full or half empty, it's up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Pitchfork's review of Add Violence does not seem to be aware of NIN-fans at all, it is consistent with rest of the reviews the EP has been getting, overall the scores are very positive, much more than NTAE.
    I wasn't referring to just the review, but the news section as well. Trent's been making the headlines very regularly for the past few years, even for stuff that's honestly not that news worthy, like today's Trent Reznor Slams “Complete Fucking Moron” Trump.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    I wasn't referring to just the review, but the news section as well. Trent's been making the headlines very regularly for the past few years, even for stuff that's honestly not that news worthy, like today's Trent Reznor Slams “Complete Fucking Moron” Trump.

Yeah, I hate how websites will take one small comment from an entire interview out of context and make it a headline like that. I can't imagine being a celebrity or a rock-star, that shit would be infuriating.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    yeah, while some writers have used the word dirge as a pejorative term, i think here it was really meant to indicate the idea of each center track on its respective EP being a sort of...breath. a pause in the energy that's more about quiet emotion.
    I stand corrected. It it is the centrepiece for me - best song on the EP - so I'll defend the shit out of it if someone's critical of it - but my annoyance seems misplaced in this instance. Fair do's.
    Last edited by simonn; 07-27-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    Thanks for sharing these. Did you notice in the Gottlieb interview that every single instance of the word "of" is missing? Even when it was part of a word like "offer". Weird.
    I didn't notice that, must have mentally added them! I changed the source to the billboard one
    The thing about this interview is I find the whole story of nin v tvt fascinating and I liked reading about the other players like Atlantic and whoever, but I just don't know how much to believe since he was clearly lying about his original phm opinion. I get the impression the company lost interest in nin on hearing the album and it was basically up to the band to tour to promote it and the lucky lolla break was what made it take off
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-27-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    What's amazing is how that small Pitchfork article left out both TR's sentiment about having his kids think for themselves on the president by framing it how he thinks vs. how other people think, and also that Reznor comes from a Rust Belt town and understands the concerns of those people but still despises Trump.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    For some reason I feel like I know this reviewer but maybe it's just me

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can't remember where it was originally posted, but somebody mentioned a KROQ appearance, and it seems that was just on this afternoon (or morning LA time) - https://twitter.com/kevinandbean/sta...72825978781696

Did anybody hear this, or even record it? Guess it would be a fairly brief promo spot or something, but it seems weird that it's not been mentioned since.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    I can't remember where it was originally posted, but somebody mentioned a KROQ appearance, and it seems that was just on this afternoon (or morning LA time) - https://twitter.com/kevinandbean/sta...72825978781696

Did anybody hear this, or even record it? Guess it would be a fairly brief promo spot or something, but it seems weird that it's not been mentioned since.
    http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2017/07/27/...th-kevin-bean/

Here you go! Just started listening.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This reviewer gets NIN, gets the EP, and gets the songs. She's familiar with the back catalog, including Still and even lesser-known bonus tracks (Home). Her descriptions and opinions of the songs echo my own sentiments VERY closely. Easily the best review I've read for Add Violence (I've read every one posted on ETS) or any other NIN release in recent memory. I would trust her opinion on other music as well.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I think it was really cool that the radio host in that KROQ interview said a couple of nice things to Trent. Genuinely telling him that it's great to have them back, playing shows and stuff, and that great bands like NIN are desperately needed in times like these. Even though Trent always likes to state that he has learned to not care too much about the opinions and expectations of his audience, he does seem kinda insecure at the moment -- at least from what I've read in the last couple interviews and in regards to playing shows. So yeah, I'm going nowhere with this, just thought that it was a nice gesture by the host.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Metal Hammer has a 90's issue out. There is a collage of artists on the front, and Trent is one of them.

Also, they have a free CD of bands covering other bands songs from the 90s and there is a "March of the Pigs" cover on there from a band called Eighteen Visions.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-07-...-90s-covers-cd
    It's up on the YouTubes now and it is a fucking killer.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Jesus Fucking Christ. I can't wait till they announce whatever their full fall touring plans are gonna be. I just moshed straight through into my neighbors living room.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Jesus Fucking Christ. I can't wait till they announce whatever their full fall touring plans are gonna be. I just moshed straight through into my neighbors living room.
    There are no fall touring plans. At least for 2017. Spring 2018 at the earliest. But yeah, I'm super psyched too!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Here you go!
    Cheers buddy. That worked out nicely. Listening now.