Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vietnam War (2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The Vietnam War (2017)

Via the unofficial Hesitation Marks FB page, it appears there's another collaborative score in the works: http://kenburns.com/films/vietnam/

Another person involved hints at Trent and Atticus's involvement on his site here: http://davidcieri.com/#hello-hello saying "THE VIETNAM WAR - KEN BURNS AND LYNN NOVICK: A film I had the great good fortune to score - I feel Immense gratitude in being included among two other exceptional composers (who I have admired for a very long time) and musicians who wrote music for the film. It will premiere on PBS in September 2017.

The playlist discovered on John Crawford's Spotify playlist here: https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...sKapD5tqAmCI0J lists the artists as TR / AR along with track names and lengths. The album is titled Vietnam WIP 2-5-16. Being dated back in February makes sense seeing as the series will be a "10 part, 18 hour documentary series." Who knows what stage it's in now.

Original image: https://scontent.fsnc1-4.fna.fbcdn.n...64&oe=58DFF3B1

The initial FB post revealing this information has since been removed.

I'm sure there'll be more to come on this...

UPDATE:
    New York Times Announced Trent and Atticus as the composers of the 18 hour documentary, and posted a video clip. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/a...tnam.html?_r=0
    Last edited by LOVEANDZOMBIES; 01-12-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: New York Times Announcement

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow, nice investigation...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Shit Ken Burns? I loved The Civil War, The War and Baseball.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Never thought I would see the day where Trent and Atticus are scoring a Ken Burns documentary. That's pretty cool.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    This is great.

When the fuck does Trent sleep?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Having a poke around Google, and it looks like Yo-Yo Ma could be involved as well. Random as hell, but found it here (scroll down to Jan. 12, 2017, or just search for Trent Reznor et al.)

Cieri’s film-scoring work includes Ken Burns’ TheVietnam War (with Trent Reznor and Yo-Yo Ma, Florentine Films, in post-production)

NEXT DAY EDIT: I would love to hear a new version of "Fire Water Paper: A Vietnam Oratorio" written by one of my favorite composers, Elliot Goldenthal.
    Last edited by Jon; 12-20-2016 at 06:41 AM. Reason: stupid computer

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Having a poke around Google, and it looks like Yo-Yo Ma could be involved as well.
    Double post for clarity:

Yo-Yo Ma will be performing as part of The Silk Road Ensemble for this (I'm a nerd)! The ensemble is always evolving and can be rather large.

Found information here:

Yo-Yo Ma recently took an interest in Võ’s explorations as well, resulting in her performing with his Silk Road Ensemble on the soundtrack for The Vietnam War, Ken Burns’ forthcoming documentary.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    any news on this?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Trent confirmed to beats 1 a mysterious fourth 2017 project

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Trent confirmed to beats 1 a mysterious fourth 2016 project
    He could have been talking about his stuff on the new season of Twin Peaks.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    He could have been talking about his stuff on the new season of Twin Peaks.
    Sure but he has been officially quoted on this project, and we aren't even sure it's music, and if it is it won't be a full album.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Sure but he has been officially quoted on this project, and we aren't even sure it's music, and if it is it won't be a full album.
    I get you.
    So...maybe...Tapeworm?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Interview about The Vietnam War documentary.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/1....html?referer=
    Cross-posted, as this interview has the most thorough information about the project yet. Pretty interesting.

That photo caption though Edit: It was an HTDA picture of Trent and Rob with Rob labelled as Atticus. They've changed the picture now and added the PBS YouTube video.
    Last edited by TheBang; 01-12-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Edited

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I had the honor & pleasure of seeing Mr. Burns speak in Aspen over the summer to a very small crowd of maybe 100-ish people. He was doing a special presentation that related to the election, and so he showed clips from his various docs that had to do with the elections of the given era. Ken is fiercely intelligent and well spoken. I highly recommend looking up his Stanford Commencement speech if you haven't seen it.

After the presentation, he did a Q&A. I so, so wish I knew he was a fan of Trent & Atticus's work, otherwise I would've asked him about that. Then again, how could I have known? Instead, I asked what it was like to be such a direct influence for Christopher Nolan and Interstellar. He was very gracious. While I asked my question, he leaned forward, listening intently, and made sustained eye contact. When answering, he spoke directly to me – and somewhere in his answer he mentioned the Vietnam doc (and no joke, probably 8 or 9 other films that are simultaneously in the works).

I also spoke to him very briefly at the small reception that followed. He's a deeply kind, deeply respectful man. It was an honor. I admire him even more now knowing that he sought out Trent & Atticus! Amazing!! I absolutely cannot wait for the full Vietnam doc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not sure if this was posted, but there is a clip here:

http://pitchfork.com/news/70852-tren...m-documentary/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    From NYT..

“The Vietnam War,” which premieres in September on PBS, will ultimately feature more than two cumulative hours of original music from Mr. Reznor and Mr. Ross, along with reworked bits from Nine Inch Nails songs and their scores for “The Social Network” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

So much going on these days it's getting crazy man!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    From NYT..

“The Vietnam War,” which premieres in September on PBS, will ultimately feature more than two cumulative hours of original music from Mr. Reznor and Mr. Ross, along with reworked bits from Nine Inch Nails songs and their scores for “The Social Network” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

So much going on these days it's getting crazy man!
    I hope the "reworked" bits from NIN songs don't wholly count as one of the NIN "works" TR promised in 2017. But, believe me, I am excited for this series.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well shit, I have no idea what to expect from this one! could be very interesting mix of music to fit all the themes involved with a documentary of this caliber. In terms of war, machinery, bombing and creating sounds for fear and chaos...I imagine sounds from Broken or Tetsuo. But creating sounds for calm scary surreal moments, sounds from Social Network/TGWTDT would fit super well.

So much new NIN/Reznor/Ross content coming out! it's getting hard to sit, enjoy, and absorb everything! Have barely had a chance to listen to all the new DE re-releases, and NTAE!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    2017:

Patriot's Day soundtrack
    New EP
    Probable new studio album
    Catalogue album reissues
    Fragile Deviations release
    Vietnam War documentary score

This is the fucking year to be a Nails fan, yo!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    Via the unofficial Hesitation Marks FB page, it appears there's another collaborative score in the works: http://kenburns.com/films/vietnam/

Another person involved hints at Trent and Atticus's involvement on his site here: http://davidcieri.com/#hello-hello saying "THE VIETNAM WAR - KEN BURNS AND LYNN NOVICK: A film I had the great good fortune to score - I feel Immense gratitude in being included among two other exceptional composers (who I have admired for a very long time) and musicians who wrote music for the film. It will premiere on PBS in September 2017.

The playlist discovered on John Crawford's Spotify playlist here: https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkr...sKapD5tqAmCI0J lists the artists as TR / AR along with track names and lengths. The album is titled Vietnam WIP 2-5-16. Being dated back in February makes sense seeing as the series will be a "10 part, 18 hour documentary series." Who knows what stage it's in now.

Original image: https://scontent.fsnc1-4.fna.fbcdn.n...64&oe=58DFF3B1

The initial FB post revealing this information has since been removed.

I'm sure there'll be more to come on this...

UPDATE:
    New York Times Announced Trent and Atticus as the composers of the 18 hour documentary, and posted a video clip. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/a...tnam.html?_r=0
    Making the decision to post/repost these screenshots of my Spotify account was kinda shitty and didn't go unnoticed.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kraw View Post
    Making the decision to post/repost these screenshots of my Spotify account was kinda shitty and didn't go unnoticed.
    You know this board have survived and unlocked most of the secrets of YZ ARG? Ever since then, anything anyone from NIN camp ever posts anywhere gets reposted here and over analyzed for hints.
    ETS is a hell of an investigation team, we should film our own version of CSI.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Shoulda been more careful brah.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    You mean sharing your public playlists ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All these investigations, leaks, exclusive informations and stuff is a big part of why this community follow and like to follow every TR's work.
    At the end it gives us "reasons to buy", most of this shits stay between hardcore fans that will give all the money they can to TR and his team... team that you joined... Do not bite "the hand that feeds" my friend.

Peace
    Last edited by blitzkrieg; 01-14-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

You can already hear some of the sampling of bombs and helicopters used in the soundtrack in this preview. I am very, very interested in this.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Probably going to buy the soundtrack (assuming it's sold), but avoid watching the documentary. It's just....I can't handle this kind of depression right now. The world's in bad enough shape as it is; I don't have the strength or desire to sit through hours and hours of heartbreak.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Check out @brianviglione's Tweet: https://twitter.com/brianviglione/st...231040002?s=09

Looks like one of the NIN tracks in the doc will be "19 Ghosts III" or "22 Ghosts III"

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I wonder if they'll pull heavily from Ghosts for this, or if we'll get weird instrumental reworks of other NIN songs.