Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: The Vietnam War (2017)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I can tell you right now, after working in a movie theater for five years, talking with movie-goers constantly, the majority of the masses don't even NOTICE the music in movies, unless its like Guardians of The Galaxy pumping the film full of one hit wonders. Can't count how many times I'd be talking to someone about a movie they were going to see and I'd mention the score, and their reply would be "what's a score?". Now I'm sure NIN have more people than they don't who love soundtracks, but there are a FUCK TON of people out there who couldn't give a fuck less about "the background music" as others have gently put it.
    That's probably a good thing, depending on your relationship to music I guess. The music is one of the first things I always take into account when watching a movie, even a great one. But it's something I could take or leave because I want to be taken in by it as a whole. It's only when you see something again and again you might pick up on what the editing or cinematography is achieving, as well as the music.

The flip side to that is there are now fewer scores out there which become almost as popular as the movie anymore. There's still good work being done, by lots of talented people in that field, but there is a difference between the kinds of scores we see now and in the 80's for example. Then again it may have always been that way too, that there are people who loved Star Wars but haven't a clue who John Williams is.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Just doing a drive-by to reiterate that this thing still kicks ass and I'd really love What Comes Back and Justified Response to show up live.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Just doing a drive-by to reiterate that this thing still kicks ass and I'd really love What Comes Back and Justified Response to show up live.
    I was listening today at work and couldn't agree more. What Comes Back is just incredible.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i listened in the car yesterday for the first time in a while and the whole thing is gorgeous. it's a shame it came out around the same time as so much other stuff because it kind of got lost in the shuffle.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yeah, I admit that I haven't been that into the scores in general, but this one really captured my attention.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    started watching the series. i had listened to the score already. it works really well in context with the film.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yes! I've been revisiting this score and have been giving it more due. It's gorgeous and has intense depth and creates quite a landscape. It's quickly been rising as one of my favorite scores. I might have to rank them:

TGWTDT
    The Social Network
    The Vietnam War
    Gone Girl
    Patriots Day
    Before The Flood

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Yes! I've been revisiting this score and have been giving it more due. It's gorgeous and has intense depth and creates quite a landscape. It's quickly been rising as one of my favorite scores. I might have to rank them:

TGWTDT
    The Social Network
    The Vietnam War
    Gone Girl
    Patriots Day
    Before The Flood
    patriots day has gotten the fewest listens from me. other than one or two tracks, most of it wasn't nearly as memorable as any of their other scores.

do you actually dislike before the flood or is it just your least favorite?

i'm with you on TGWTDT being the best, though!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    patriots day has gotten the fewest listens from me. other than one or two tracks, most of it wasn't nearly as memorable as any of their other scores.

do you actually dislike before the flood or is it just your least favorite?

i'm with you on TGWTDT being the best, though!
    Hmm, I was really impressed by the PD score when it came out. I should admit that it's the only score for which I haven't also seen the accompanying film (I've watched half of The Vietnam War). It's stark and abrasive. I've connected a lot of the scores to eras and feelings in my real life, except for PD. Yet!

That being said, Before The Flood is beautiful, but it feels the most disjointed, and that's definitely because it was a collaborative project. I don't dislike it at all. Hell, the title track is a masterpiece in electronica, IMO.

But Dragon Tattoo, damn. I can only listen to that shit in the dead of winter. It's an icy mammoth of a record.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Can't rank these just yet, but I want to say that Patriots Day has a special place in my heart which I can't fully articulate.

I weirdly(?) love the film, but the 'Fincher Trilogy' = 3 of my favorite films of all time so that's not a unique trait necessarily. I think I like the brevity (by Trenticuss standards), and by extension the flow & track order. That definitely separates it. In terms of number of songs, it comes in under or matches proper NIN albums, which is appealing – I think that makes it look more accessible to me when I'm scrolling through which TR/AR soundtracks I want to casually vibe out on.

RE: Before the Flood, I feel similar to joplinpicasso. It's obviously fantastic and arguably the most unique, but the disjointed aspect slightly dilutes the experience for me.

All that being said, I am immensely grateful for all the score work we've been blessed with.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm a little late to the game but I ordered the film score, the documentary and soundtrack. I just finished watching episode one and it really is outstanding, just really, really engrossing. There was so much information to absorb I had to pause and re-watch certain segments. And of course the score works beautifully. The soundtrack is chock-full of classic songs so it's nice to have them all in one compilation.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    episode 4: instrumental version of the wretched. perfect!!!!!!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    I was listening today at work and couldn't agree more. What Comes Back is just incredible.
    So listening to this on the way to work this morning and yes, this is as good as the latest we heard from Watchmen...and so is Justified Response.

I think we are at a point where the soundtrack catalog is pretty expansive that we tend to forget some of the gems that are on these OSTs. I try to go back and revisit them from time-to-time because they are all amazing in their own way.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Somehow the Watchmen Vol01 score is a gateway to this score. I didn't pay enough attention last time I listened to this, it's incredibl(er).

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    From what you're all saying, I should definitely listen to this again. Aside from a few tracks peppered here and there, I felt it was really generic TRAR fare. Then again, I've only heard it twice. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    From what you're all saying, I should definitely listen to this again. Aside from a few tracks peppered here and there, I felt it was really generic TRAR fare. Then again, I've only heard it twice. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood.
    I, too, initially felt that way and to be honest, I haven't spent much time listening to it since the month of its release. I have a playlist on my iPod of all the TR & AR scores (and one-off songs like Juno, Green Lines & the Halloween theme) and I was adding Watchmen to it yesterday when I realized that it adds up to an insane 11 hours and 20 minutes of material! I didn't realize there was THAT much. Anyway, I remember liking Justified Response, Strangers in Lockstep, and a couple of others, but I should try to give it a second chance.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Is it just me or did it feel like the documentary really used "Pieces Form The Whole" from TSN more than what is on the original score? There's a lot of other music I recognized in that soundtrack (that acted as score, besides the pop/r&b/folk/rock stuff), and it seemed like that piano melody stuck out as being consistent throughout.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i still think "torn polaroid" is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking pieces TR+AR have created

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i still think "torn polaroid" is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking pieces TR+AR have created
    Fucking hell right, it pierces my soul, with those chords alone. Those drones compliment it beautifully, as the standalone ones in "She reminds me of you", in the Gone Girl score.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Vietnam War is an unsung masterpiece in their oeuvre. Much like Gone Girl, you have to spend some time with it before the layers peel back and the whole thing reveals itself. It certainly rivals TGWTDT as their darkest score work. If you only listen to it a few times or the month it comes out and no further, well, of course it's not going to leave an impression. All of their scores require intensive listening. That's what makes them so awesome..

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Vietnam War is an unsung masterpiece in their oeuvre. Much like Gone Girl, you have to spend some time with it before the layers peel back and the whole thing reveals itself. It certainly rivals TGWTDT as their darkest score work. If you only listen to it a few times or the month it comes out and no further, well, of course it's not going to leave an impression. All of their scores require intensive listening. That's what makes them so awesome..
    I couldn't agree with you more. With all the soundtracks, they do seem, to use a description that has been given, "blend together" and all tend to sound alike at first/second/third listen. But like trent has said, good music will reward you after time.
    I've been giving each soundtrack about a two-week listening time-frame over the past month or so ( I have an hour drive to and from work) so I have been able to really give it a good listen. Each soundtrack is so distinct and rewarding in its own way.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Less Likely is still one of the most beautiful pieces of music TR and AR have made, the only other 2 songs that come close are Leaving Hope and La Mer.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    The vinyl downloads for these are broken(ha) and the nin store isn't working properly to get a help ticket for me. Any advice?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Happy 4th to this gem of a score!

https://twitter.com/nincatalog/statu...95257527226370

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Having just rediscovered this masterpiece of an album I am looking for lengthy INTERVIEWS with Trent and Atticus about the making of it. Can someone point the way?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The only thing I've seen is the making of in the special features of the DVD.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This isn't lengthy at all, but here's Trent briefly discussing it:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Here's a vid about series music (not just TRAR part though), posted earlier in this thread