Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vietnam War (2017)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    cause its damn good! TR +AR are getting better with every score.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah they are. I liked all of the soundtracks so far without really loving any of them, but this one in particular has resonated with me. It might be something to do with the way it reminds me a bit of Still....

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Is Amazon doing autorip on this one ? Can't see the logo and can't find it as MP3 only in their store.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Is Amazon doing autorip on this one ? Can't see the logo and can't find it as MP3 only in their store.
    I'd go with no, a lot of albums haven't had it lately, wonder if there's some labels not liking it

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Already asked that. No it doesn't, even in USA, but the other vietnam war is

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i keep wanting to listen to the whole soundtrack again but just end up putting "before and after faith" on repeat. there's such a thing as a track being TOO good, TR/AR. tone it down a bit.

sidenote, i just finished the first episode. finally understanding what the fuck that war was about is brutal and fascinating. man, thank goodness we got over that shit and EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Sooooo on Amazon, the score currently has pretty shitty reviews because half the people who bought it are morons who thought they were getting a bunch of Bob Dylan war protest songs. I kid you not.

Anyway, we should probably flood the page with real reviews of the actual score, not just complaints from these dopes.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    MP3-only version. At least, for here in the States....maybe for some dumb reason it's not available to purchase in England?

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-War-O...tnam+war+score

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    MP3-only version. At least, for here in the States....maybe for some dumb reason it's not available to purchase in England?

I'm not sure what the hell you are saying, but the answer is still no for the whole world

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Thanks, I couldn't find it in the UK store at the time but I was also using mobile and Amazon hides some categories of products in the mobile view I think. I've since found it. http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt £9.59 in MP3.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I'm not sure what the hell you are saying, but the answer is still no for the whole world
    Another user said they hadn't been able to find an MP3 version of the score for sale on Amazon. The link I posted was for that version, but I wasn't sure whether you were allowed to buy it outside of the US (sometimes there are restrictions on where digital content is allowed to be sold for some stupid reason).

The person who had originally asked for this has since posted a version for sale in Europe, which can be found here.

http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Another user said they hadn't been able to find an MP3 version of the score for sale on Amazon. The link I posted was for that version, but I wasn't sure whether you were allowed to buy it outside of the US (sometimes there are restrictions on where digital content is allowed to be sold for some stupid reason).
    The person who had originally asked for this has since posted a version for sale in Europe, which can be found here.
    http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt
    I stopped at the autorip initial question, I see.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just listened to this today and it's maybe his best soundtrack since The Social Network. I think Dragon Tattoo comes close but that one almost plays as a second set of sound effects for that film. I feel that The Vietnam Wars is one of the more musical scores.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post

I like that even Atticus' autograph is shy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's a sad reflection of the age in which we live that this album has been out for over a month and on THE MOST Reznor-orientated website anywhere in the world, only a handful of people (and a significant minority at that) have actually passed comment on the music produced by Trent and Atticus on their latest small plastic disc. Not always breaking boundaries (and in the context, not meant to anyway) but the music is quite often vital, and at times enthralling. No wonder so many artists think (and more and more are articulating) 'why bother' these days. I don't know whether there's just a considerably smaller audience for soundtracks v NIN/HTDA, but I'm shocked how little people are talking about this release. Thought the same for Patriots Day too to be honest so maybe I've answered my own question. But I do wonder how Trent and Atticus feel about the apparent lack of interest in the projects - I know commercially it's not an issue as they've said recently, but I think I'd still feel a little disheartened if I was them.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I think you hit the nail on the head by saying that the scores have a smaller audience and I think that's true of scores in general, not just TR/AR stuff. If NIN was over and TR/AR were doing scores exclusively (or even if the scores bore the NIN name) people would most likely pay more attention. Along those lines, I think the amount of NIN activity this year has overshadowed the last two scores.

Another possibility is that these two have racked up enough scores in such a relatively short amount of time that perhaps people aren't as excited as they were in the beginning with TSN and TGWTDT. Still another idea is that people may be tempted to lump the scores together as being one unified style of music, when in reality each score probably has enough of its own vibe and character to be appreciated individually.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I can tell you right now, after working in a movie theater for five years, talking with movie-goers constantly, the majority of the masses don't even NOTICE the music in movies, unless its like Guardians of The Galaxy pumping the film full of one hit wonders. Can't count how many times I'd be talking to someone about a movie they were going to see and I'd mention the score, and their reply would be "what's a score?". Now I'm sure NIN have more people than they don't who love soundtracks, but there are a FUCK TON of people out there who couldn't give a fuck less about "the background music" as others have gently put it.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I get nearly as excited about one of their soundtrack album releases as I do a regular NIN album/EP release. For me, it’s appointment listening — my favorite band is releasing a new album of material. Maybe the setting or the atmosphere is a little different in context for a soundtrack collection, but it’s still essentially a new NIN album to me..

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'd like to point out that this thread does have 11 pages worth of discussion. I know that's nothing compared to Add Violence's 59 pages, but at the same time, it's not like there's only 2 or 3 pages. I also think (as was touched on above) that a big part of it is the fact that there has been a lot of score work coming out of these guys lately, too. Plus the new NIN – which will always take precedence when it comes to discussion on a NIN board. I mean, last year, we got Juno, Before the Flood, and Not the Actual Events. This year, we've already got Patriot's Day, Add Violence, The Vietnam War, the Halloween theme, and a song from the Walled Off Hotel – with another new NIN EP expected by year's end (hopefully) – plus the (mini) NIN tour. When there's this much activity and new music coming out (which is a GREAT "problem" to have), there's bound to be less discussion about some of the score work because of the wealth of other projects.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I know that personally the amount of material Trent's put out since last summer (Juno for NASA, Green Lines for Banksy, Before The Flood, Patriot's Day, both NIN EP's, Fragile Deviations, the Halloween Theme, the Bowie re-work, Vietnam War...and I'm prolly forgetting something) has been overwhelming. Couple all that with all the other music constantly coming out that I am checking for, and I haven't really had the time to repeatedly explore the soundtrack stuff.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There's no way "What Comes Back" doesn't sound very old-school. Halfway through the soundtrack and it really takes it's time. Lots of piano. Very brooding. It does sound more 'background-y' than TSN, TGWTDT, GG, and PD but it is, of course, beautiful music from TR+AR.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was really kind of hoping (even though I knew it was highly unlikely) at the recent Las Vegas show that in between songs or as a lead in to another song that NIN would have broken into a version of "What Comes Back". That would have blown me away. I fucking love that song.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I can tell you right now, after working in a movie theater for five years, talking with movie-goers constantly, the majority of the masses don't even NOTICE the music in movies, unless its like Guardians of The Galaxy pumping the film full of one hit wonders. Can't count how many times I'd be talking to someone about a movie they were going to see and I'd mention the score, and their reply would be "what's a score?". Now I'm sure NIN have more people than they don't who love soundtracks, but there are a FUCK TON of people out there who couldn't give a fuck less about "the background music" as others have gently put it.
    We listen to The Score every weekend because it's such an awesome show.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finally getting a chance to listen to it... I'm quite enjoying it. It brings "atmosphere".

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    It's a sad reflection of the age in which we live that this album has been out for over a month and on THE MOST Reznor-orientated website anywhere in the world, only a handful of people (and a significant minority at that) have actually passed comment on the music produced by Trent and Atticus on their latest small plastic disc. Not always breaking boundaries (and in the context, not meant to anyway) but the music is quite often vital, and at times enthralling. No wonder so many artists think (and more and more are articulating) 'why bother' these days. I don't know whether there's just a considerably smaller audience for soundtracks v NIN/HTDA, but I'm shocked how little people are talking about this release. Thought the same for Patriots Day too to be honest so maybe I've answered my own question. But I do wonder how Trent and Atticus feel about the apparent lack of interest in the projects - I know commercially it's not an issue as they've said recently, but I think I'd still feel a little disheartened if I was them.
    I'm finally listening to it for the first time. I held out for as long as I could, because I wanted to see the show first, but I haven't been able to manage it. Also, FWIW, I was pretty upset that TR/AR was involved in Patriots Day, so I decided I wasn't going to listen or purchase that soundtrack.

All that BS aside, I'm really liking this. It reminds me a lot of GWTDT but with less atmospherics and more aggression.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Also, FWIW, I was pretty upset that TR/AR was involved in Patriots Day, so I decided I wasn't going to listen or purchase that soundtrack.
    Curious, what was your disagreement with their involvement with that film? Glad you like TVW, though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    patriots day was actually a really good movie! the soundtrack was excellent, of course!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    I'm finally listening to it for the first time. I held out for as long as I could, because I wanted to see the show first, but I haven't been able to manage it. Also, FWIW, I was pretty upset that TR/AR was involved in Patriots Day, so I decided I wasn't going to listen or purchase that soundtrack.

All that BS aside, I'm really liking this. It reminds me a lot of GWTDT but with less atmospherics and more aggression.
    I'm surprised at the 'more aggression' comment. I've found it one of the more ambient works personally. More background music-y than the multitude of full on guitar tracks on TGWTDT, but then there are a lot of songs on that album. Both TVW and PD are still getting pretty heavy rotation at mine, and PD is now nearly a year old (based on the FYC that circulated round these parts). Probably prefer PT of the two, as it was relatively concise and as a result I don't find the need to skip any of it. But Before Dawn is the highlight of the CD for me, quite eerie, dark and orchestral.