Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vietnam War (2017)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My copy from BB showed up weird packaging for sure, but still well packed (the weird "ravioli" package but the record was sandwiched in between cardboard inside). The upper left spine is a little squished, and Side C had a small piece of stray vinyl that scratched up the beginning of the side. I haven't listened to it yet, but but there's probably some noise for the first 10 secs or so, as it was mostly in the deadwax before the music starts. Even with that, it's a steal for under $20 shipped.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just found out this documentary is playing in the UK on BBC4 from last night so I actually get to watch it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't know if there is another place where we talk about the Vietnam War documentary, but it was broadcasted in France (in 9 episodes of one hour... so basically one half was cut, for some reason...). I really enjoyed it. I like how it "sounds" neutral, just simple facts...

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    I don't know if there is another place where we talk about the Vietnam War documentary, but it was broadcasted in France (in 9 episodes of one hour... so basically one half was cut, for some reason...). I really enjoyed it. I like how it "sounds" neutral, just simple facts...
    Neutral hey ? The whole thing keeps hinting it was a huge error ... just like every war ever made on earth, and we have to hear fucking marines, the worst kind of soldiers on earth, acknowledging one more time how they kill every one, as usual. And the time spent on 17 years morons that wanted to kill people for a living, was wayyyyy too long and not interesting (how could it be interesting ?)

However it was still very interesting, I discovered that I didn't know a simple thing about it, especially the french part.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Neutral hey ? The whole thing keeps hinting it was a huge error ... just like every war ever made on earth, and we have to hear fucking marines, the worst kind of soldiers on earth, acknowledging one more time how they kill every one, as usual. And the time spent on 17 years morons that wanted to kill people for a living, was wayyyyy too long and not interesting (how could it be interesting ?)

However it was still very interesting, I discovered that I didn't know a simple thing about it, especially the french part.
    Yeah like every war on earth, but usually we got (especially on Arte) a story very "complying" to the vietcong version, here they did not forget to talk about some massacre they did. Sure it's "US made a fucking mistake" oriented, but this is just... true. And I always liked interviews of guys showing how stupid they were/are and how brainwashed they could have been.
    And saying that, I knew most of the story...

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    Yeah like every war on earth, but usually we got (especially on Arte) a story very "complying" to the vietcong version, here they did not forget to talk about some massacre they did. Sure it's "US made a fucking mistake" oriented, but this is just... true. And I always liked interviews of guys showing how stupid they were/are and how brainwashed they could have been.
    And saying that, I knew most of the story...
    I agree, it's well made. I cannot stand anymore morons that are calling themself brainwashed, there are too much documents about how ridiculous, idiots and awful are soldiers, to claim we didn't know... Glory for killing and hate ? come one, grow up, every year on french Survivor we hear the same shit: "I didn't know it was so hard" Fuck off of course you knew, it's been 20 years of ppl saying the same thing every fucking time.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    really enjoying so much either forgot or was never mentioned, if there was this much bullshit going on then imagine what goes on in Iraq, Afghanistan, Nixon was horrible person but Trump is still worse
    -Louie

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Does anyone know how to resolve digital download issues? I bought the vinyl, and my browser crashed when downloading the FLAC files. The code now no longer works, because it thinks it's been used.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The NIN store said they can't help since I didn't buy it there, but I thought they managed the digital content regardless.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    soundtrack available on itunes
    -Louie

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Received my $14 Best Buy order today. Can't believe they actually honored an obvious price error. Beautiful package.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Can anyone please comment on the difference between the Vinyl and the CD/Digital for the tracks, "A World Away" and "The Right Things"?

According to the liner notes, the track timings are different:
    vinyl 6:18 vs. digital 6:13
    vinyl 8:44 vs. digital 8:52

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    The vinyl is $13.99 at bestbuy.com!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-vie...uctCategoryId=
    Seriously... THANK YOU for this!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenfern View Post
    Seriously... THANK YOU for this!
    You're welcome!

Got mine in today. Best buy has some weird packaging for vinyl. Came in without damage though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'd not seen this advertised anywhere at all, but pleased to see that this is being shown on the BBC. First two episodes on iPlayer now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ja-vu-18581961

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Can anyone please comment on the difference between the Vinyl and the CD/Digital for the tracks, "A World Away" and "The Right Things"?

According to the liner notes, the track timings are different:
    vinyl 6:18 vs. digital 6:13
    vinyl 8:44 vs. digital 8:52
    Anyone? Y'all bought records but don't have record players?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Yeah. it's 2017.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've been listening to the vinyl since I got it, but I didn't do a digital rip or directly compare it to the streaming/download version, until today. Unsurprisingly, the vinyl appears to be more dynamic in its mastering (dramatically so, when it comes to "What Comes Back" — which keeps crescendoing throughout on the vinyl, whereas the digital version starts hitting the 0dBFS mark about two minutes in and just stays there for the remainder). My turntable has a slightly wonky belt-drive rather than being time-clocked precisely, but after I corrected the speed in a DAW everything lined up pretty well with the digital version.

I can't comment on the CD specifically, since I don't have it, but I suspect any discrepancies in timing on the liner notes are probably just misprints, because those two tracks are basically the same in terms of content for both the digital and vinyl formats. Again, the CD may differ. What struck me as odd is that while the two tracks cross-fade into each other, the digital version has a weird dividing point between them -- ie. "The Right Things" seems to start a whole seven seconds before the song actually kicks in, while the main piano motif of "A World Away" is still looping over and over.

So if that's an error, it would account for the approximately seven-second discrepancy between the two formats (ie. the vinyl timing is correct, the digital is wrong).
    Last edited by botley; 09-28-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    received my vietnam war cd from pbs.org today. love this soundtrack so much.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    What struck me as odd is that while the two tracks cross-fade into each other, the digital version has a weird dividing point between them -- ie. "The Right Things" seems to start a whole seven seconds before the song actually kicks in, while the main piano motif of "A World Away" is still looping over and over.

So if that's an error, it would account for the approximately seven-second discrepancy between the two formats (ie. the vinyl timing is correct, the digital is wrong).
    Ah, I see. It's basically a difference of opinion as to where one song ends and the other begins. The CD timing is the same as the digital. I agree though, it sounds like the vinyl timing is probably more correct.

Thanks for checking, botley.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone know of any NIN tracks played on the documentary? I felt sure there we're supposed to be some reworked NIN tracks said to be included. (I've yet to watch the series)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've become obsessed with the wailing guitar over the last 2 minutes of What Comes Back

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Anyone know of any NIN tracks played on the documentary? I felt sure there we're supposed to be some reworked NIN tracks said to be included. (I've yet to watch the series)
    Lots of Ghosts, precise tracklisting in each end credits

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i also heard the wretched in a couple episodes. definately ghosts 1, 2, 13....and more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like the others said, there's a LOT of ghosts tracks. The instrumental version of The Wretched also made an appearance in one of the early episodes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As per the episode credits, this is what i have so far for additional NIN & TR&AR tracks:

Ep 1
    A Familiar Taste – TSN
    13 Ghosts II
    Later Into the Night – TGWTDT
    32 Ghosts IV

Ep 2
    32 Ghosts IV
    34 Ghosts IV
    1 Ghosts I
    12 Ghosts II

Ep 3
    28 Ghosts IV
    Pieces Form the Whole - TSN
    1 Ghosts I
    34 Ghosts IV
    32 Ghosts IV

Ep 4
    12 Ghosts II
    Pinned and Mounted - TGWTDT
    The Wretched (Instrumental)
    13 Ghosts II
    The Beginning of the End (Instrcumental)

Ep 5
    12 Ghosts II
    13 Ghosts II

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Has anyone else noticed surface defects on their vinyl? My copy has for the lack of a better description lots of 'liquidy rinse marks', light sand paper like surface scratches and what looks like non cleanable fingerprints from what appears to be the manufacturing process. It plays OK, but with a few light crackles and occasional pop. It's on all three LPs to an extent and mainly visible only at certain light angles. It looks like poor manufacturing, mishandling during manufacture or poor QA. Have noticed this on another NIN LP can't remember which one, but not the DE's which were as mint as you can get. I haven't returned it as it plays ok and I know it would likely be a whole lot of hassle getting a replacement, but it looks quite pronounced at certain angles and not what I expect from new vinyl.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    You ppl may not have access to recordings... (I forgot how cool is Free.fr for freedom) here are credits for 1&2

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Are any of these tracks from Ghosts or TSN or TGWTDT different at all? I remember reading that they would be "reworked".

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    Has anyone else noticed surface defects on their vinyl? My copy has for the lack of a better description lots of 'liquidy rinse marks', light sand paper like surface scratches and what looks like non cleanable fingerprints from what appears to be the manufacturing process. It plays OK, but with a few light crackles and occasional pop. It's on all three LPs to an extent and mainly visible only at certain light angles. It looks like poor manufacturing, mishandling during manufacture or poor QA. Have noticed this on another NIN LP can't remember which one, but not the DE's which were as mint as you can get. I haven't returned it as it plays ok and I know it would likely be a whole lot of hassle getting a replacement, but it looks quite pronounced at certain angles and not what I expect from new vinyl.
    Wow. Nothing like that on my copy — small mark on side three, not affecting play, but otherwise mine was pristine. Looks like you got a manufacturing defect, I'd still ask if you can return it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is turning out to be my favourite of their soundtracks. Can't even put my finger on why.