Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vietnam War (2017)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Damnit. I got struck with the UPS to USPS hand-off for my order from BB. Expected delivery tomorrow Thursday now. The suspense is killing me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I got my NIN 20% off to work on this last Friday.

Now I am regretting as they haven't even sent a shipping notice...probably hasn't even left their facility. Yay.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just curious is the cd and vinyl have the same artwork? I just got the cd and haven’t opened it yet.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I got my NIN 20% off to work on this last Friday.

Now I am regretting as they haven't even sent a shipping notice...probably hasn't even left their facility. Yay.
    my code better fucking work when the next round of DEs (and the other scores) go on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprekon666 View Post
    Just curious is the cd and vinyl have the same artwork? I just got the cd and haven’t opened it yet.
    just opened my CD. layout is obviously slightly different, but the artwork is the same.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    for what its worth, I ordered by copy through nin.com (sandbag) and received my vinyl yesterday. it came bubble-wrapped with no bent edges or damage to the packaging.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My copy from BB arrived today. Their LP mailers suuuuuuuuuuuck. But got lucky w/ no damage to the set outside of seam splits on the actual record sleeves. Would've happened anyways. I'll wait til the copy from Amoeba arrives to decide which one to open up and listen to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my code better fucking work when the next round of DEs (and the other scores) go on sale.

just opened my CD. layout is obviously slightly different, but the artwork is the same.

Your CD packaging have the sticker on it? I hate they put stickers on the digipack. I’m afraid to try and peel it off.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    The vinyl jacket is thick, sturdy and well-made, suitable for holding 3 heavyweight LPs. As are the inner record sleeves.

In other words, Trent and Craw likely weren't anywhere near this one from a preparation standpoint..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprekon666 View Post
    Your CD packaging have the sticker on it? I hate they put stickers on the digipack. I’m afraid to try and peel it off.
    sticker was on the shrink on the outside. i always save hype stickers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    sticker was on the shrink on the outside. i always save hype stickers
    Wtf mines on the packaging itself.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So the one from BB is actually the vinyl by TR and AR?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    So the one from BB is actually the vinyl by TR and AR?
    That's the only vinyl release. The soundtrack is CD and digital.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Looks like BB figured out their mistake, the vinyl is now listed at $49.99, still sold out. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, even if it shows up slightly damaged, its' still a good deal.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    That's the only vinyl release. The soundtrack is CD and digital.
    ah gotcha, I thought there was the TR/AR vinyl and there was also a release of songs by other bands used in the documentary.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    ah gotcha, I thought there was the TR/AR vinyl and there was also a release of songs by other bands used in the documentary.
    I didn't read the others but this line is correct

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I didn't read the others but this line is correct
    There's both a score and a soundtrack, but the soundtrack is not available on vinyl...Therefore, the vinyl at BB must be the score.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    There's both a score and a soundtrack, but the soundtrack is not available on vinyl...Therefore, the vinyl at BB must be the score.
    Gotcha, Thanks man! Haven't been keeping up to date with all this stuff, glad i purchased it though!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Gotcha, Thanks man! Haven't been keeping up to date with all this stuff, glad i purchased it though!
    I'm jealous if you snagged it for $14 or whatever it was. I jumped on the link an hour or two after it was posted, but it was showing sold out. And I had just bought it for $40 from Barnes and Noble. Ah well...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Just finished the fourth episode, and along with some NIN instrumentals which took me by surprise (I figured they'd just use material from the soundtracks), was this particularly interesting inclusion

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Anyone else's hype sticker for the 2CD pack actually on the case itself and not on the shrink wrap?

Damn odd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Anyone else's hype sticker for the 2CD pack actually on the case itself and not on the shrink wrap?

Damn odd
    Yup mine is and I tried to peep it off haha what a bad idea that was. Just gonna wait for amazon to get more in and do a replacement/return since I never bought it from them and got it from eBay. Think it’s a Canadian thing as the other guy on here his was on the wrap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    A triple LP at 180g weight in a gatefold jacket...is a steal at $40...just saying.
    40 EUROs my freind thats roughly 60 us dollars. Like I said shipping and all Fragile was cheaper than that.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Got my copy from Best Buy this morning. Bizarre mailer (looked like ravioli) but the album was fine inside. Sounds great.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Before Dawn reminded me Shadow of the Beast 2 (Amiga game), and one sound in Passing the Point song Crushed by Front 242. Generally similar quality as Before the Flood or Patriots Day, not in the same league as the three "real" soundtracks. Not bad of course, but not really worth dedicated single-task listening.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Got my copy from Best Buy this morning. Bizarre mailer (looked like ravioli) but the album was fine inside. Sounds great.
    i always have a hard time opening those mailers and i feel like they have a tendency to squish the records.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    i always have a hard time opening those mailers and i feel like they have a tendency to squish the records.
    It's like 100% sealed, no perforations, no easy-open, no nothing. Like doing surgery to get my damn record out. I guess that's what I get for taking advantage of a pricing error for a 66% discount, though, lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    My copy from BB showed up..weird packaging, but perfect shape. I snatched it during their pricing screw up for $13.99, it's now listed as 49.99. A pretty lucky score overall.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    I see there are two releases: US and EU version.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone had any difficulties with the download code?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I ordered the CD from Amazon and it came so fast, I got it within a day. I've had the CDs on repeat since it has arrived. I've listened to first disc more often than the second, only because I loaded it into my car CD player and forgot to bring the second disc with me. Houston traffic is horrendous (Thanks Hurricane Harvey!) so I have listened to both on repeat for long durations. I can say with full confidence I like this soundtrack more than Patriot's Day. I would place my order as such: The Social Network, The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl, Vietnam War, Quake, Patriot's Day. This soundtrack reminds me alot of Ghosts, Dragon Tattoo and Patriots Day all mixed together - it kinda doesn't have its own identity. In fact, I feel like I could take those three albums and make a playlist pretty identical the Vietnam War's score. I wasn't a big fan of Patriots Day, not that it was bad, but I felt like it worked perfectly for the movie, but as standalone music it just didn't keep my interest. Vietnam War is kind of the same way, but there are some clear tracks that just so exciting, they can't help pull everything else up. Another gripe I have, some songs are way too long for no good reason (I'm looking at you A World Away), many of the songs are looped so much with little changing atmospherics. I feel like they were 45 seconds songs that were used for interview portions that when it came to make an album, they just lengthened them to the point they're boring.

When I first heard that TR & AR were going to do this soundtrack I was really excited, because in my head I was thinking OK, so there is going to be slow atmospheric music for interviews and narrative stuff, but I thought also...Okay, what kind of "parameters" are they going to use for this soundtrack, the obvious being, using only instruments and techniques that were common in the 60s. Also, rely more on mechanical samples (jets, propellers, machine gun fire, explosions, etc...). So, turns out my thought of parameters was way off, use of marching and helicopter samples were used somewhat, not nearly as much as I thought.

The tracks that stand out the most (to me) are:
    What Comes Back
    Justified Response
    Passing the Point (love that bass at the end)
    Strangers in Lockstep
    Before and After Faith