Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1516

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well, I received my replacement sleeve today! good news? Kind of...while my original wasn't wasn't as destroyed as some others, the glue had separated and wasn't really holding the LP's. Now, the replacement has come, corners are all good, glue is good, but the spine is crushed. Might just have to deal with it! Don't think I want to go through another Sandag trouble ticket.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    As disappointing as the packaging and the shipping fiasco surrounding it, as time goes by I am more and more convinced that the music here is wonderful and gives me a better depth of appreciation for the main album, too. Seeing the things they chose to leave off, to incorporate elsewhere, to recontextualize -- it must have been like cutting off limbs, and yet the overall "final" version is almost perfect the way it is, and in a way it fits that there is no "flawless" tracklist for The Fragile -- an album built around imperfections, things barely being held together and struggling to not fall apart maybe should't have a flawless cut.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been listening to the digital version since I ordered it earlier this week, and I'm struck by the level of complexity in the compositions of these songs, being from an album where Trent's voice was so powerful and omnipresent. To hear all of these new details, as well as the expanded tracks makes all the more obvious Trent's real talent—genius?—for composition, and all this YEARS prior to his work as film composer. It feels like a privilege to hear The Fragile this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    This is back up for sale in the NIN store.
    How could this be "sold out" then back up in the store, if it's "limited edition"?
    How many copies is it limited to?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    One million.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ski-bum View Post
    How could this be "sold out" then back up in the store, if it's "limited edition"?
    How many copies is it limited to?
    I was under the impression it was leftover tour stock. Who knows.

Personally, I'd rather everyone gets a copy who wants one. The collector market is based on pure crap on the best of days, and it's more exacerbated every year with Record Store Day and ludicrous pressing numbers/availability of completely shite releases. It's very refreshing to see TR just press to demand.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    Juste received my QOTSA Villains Deluxe Vinyl and I was thinking, this is exactly what Deviations 1 was supposed to be.
    Great (and very big !) package, full of cool art prints. And only £27, not 80.
    Too bad the album is pretty 'meh'...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I ordered this last week and mine should be here this week. The PDF file has anyone actually got it printed to a book to fit in with the vinyl? I don't understand why the digital version has a booklet file but not the physical copy.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprekon666 View Post
    I ordered this last week and mine should be here this week. The PDF file has anyone actually got it printed to a book to fit in with the vinyl? I don't understand why the digital version has a booklet file but not the physical copy.
    Yes, it has been done. Yes it fits. Watch out for the last couple of pages because unless you account for the folds, some of the text may be cut off. Around page 47 in this thread there's images and details...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I was under the impression it was leftover tour stock. Who knows.

Personally, I'd rather everyone gets a copy who wants one. The collector market is based on pure crap on the best of days, and it's more exacerbated every year with Record Store Day and ludicrous pressing numbers/availability of completely shite releases. It's very refreshing to see TR just press to demand.
    that's all well & good. but if that's the case, it should've cost considerably less than what it costs, as the majority of us were under the impression it was a limited run. which we were kinda happy to pay that little bit more

maybe the first amount (ordered in December 16)
    should've been numbered with something a little extra, then the others just a standard edition. to make clear this was a limited run, but we're now adding extra copies, due to demand, or something along those lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by [parasite]; 09-04-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If a booklet was sold in the shop for the fragile dev 1 priced around what the NTAE & AV physical components were, I'd pick it up.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Too bad the album is pretty 'meh'...
    It also doesn't seem a sound comparison when the record is 3 sides of music on the records rather than 8 sides... lots more music on lots more vinyl. I take the point re packaging but ultimately go and buy a single LP these days and it's generally around £16-20. Whilst you're not getting four times the vinyl packaging you are getting four times the records.

I thought the new QOTSA record was OK FWIW

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Yes, it has been done. Yes it fits. Watch out for the last couple of pages because unless you account for the folds, some of the text may be cut off. Around page 47 in this thread there's images and details...
    Thanks for the page. I honestly didn't want to go through 50 pages to find if it was mentioned. I didn't think it would cost that much but ouch there goes that idea.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I can't give an accurate cost on it, because I actually knew the guy at the shop! and he gave me his employee discount for it. Only cost me $20
    Hmm...any idea if your friend wants to make a bunch of these and sell them for $25 a piece?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Hmm...any idea if your friend wants to make a bunch of these and sell them for $25 a piece?
    Ha! I can shoot him a message and see what he can do. He's traveling the world at the moment, believe he's in Scotland, so might take him a bit to respond.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Another cost comparison. ok perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but I've just had delivered The Verve Urban Hymns Remastered Deluxe (20th anniversary) vinyl set. 3 x double(6 discs) 180g LP's ( album(2LP), b-sides(2LP), unreleased live(2LP)) (in 3 x colour gate fold sleeves, 6 internal colour sleeves, + external brown sleeves for each double LP, all in an outer coloured box with 20 page LP sized colour booklet and download card with extra tracks - cost £70GBP (approx $91). Weighs a ton, but very nice release. It feels like £70 worth of vinyl though.
    Last edited by afors; 09-05-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    While I'm happy to finally have some more Fragile material in a physical form, and I'm not super bummed about the $80 I spent on it (though I can definitely see why people are upset), I'm more let down by the presentation. TR went on about details and shit, and then releases a barebones set of vinyl. More care and thought was put into the 20th anniversary TDS releases than this, and The Fragile is, to a lot of people, just as important as TDS.

What I find a bit irritating is TR put out a fancy ass $300 set for Ghosts I-IV. Something that was kind of an oddity in terms of the discography. I spent $300, on that, and, while I don't hate it, it's something I barely listen to. If there had been a REAL definitive Fragile deluxe set, I have no doubt it would have sold out for real even at double the price of Ghosts.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    While I'm happy to finally have some more Fragile material in a physical form, and I'm not super bummed about the $80 I spent on it (though I can definitely see why people are upset), I'm more let down by the presentation. TR went on about details and shit, and then releases a barebones set of vinyl. More care and thought was put into the 20th anniversary TDS releases than this, and The Fragile is, to a lot of people, just as important as TDS.

What I find a bit irritating is TR put out a fancy ass $300 set for Ghosts I-IV. Something that was kind of an oddity in terms of the discography. I spent $300, on that, and, while I don't hate it, it's something I barely listen to. If there had been a REAL definitive Fragile deluxe set, I have no doubt it would have sold out for real even at double the price of Ghosts.
    This is definitely a shot in the dark, but I wonder if there might be something else for TF for the 20th anniversary in a couple years. Maybe with the 5.1 mix if we ever see that. I am never totally sure what the actual market for these kinds of reissues are, since my own listening habits changed so much due to the internet (though I still really can't get into streaming), but it seems like 20th anniversaries have been big years for other 90s releases.

I'd be surprised that he would bother to designate so much unreleased music as "instrumental" and tell us there are vocal tracks to these previously unheard tracks and then never release the vocal versions. We'll see.

Trent and Atticus have been unusually busy since TSN. (And also Trent finally got married.) We've seen almost as many full length soundtrack releases in the past seven years than we have in the entirety of NIN's existence. On top of those, we had a new side project with heavy NIN overtones, a new album, and 3 EPs by the end of this year. So it doesn't surprise me that TFDE/D1 was a bit of an afterthought in comparison to what we got for TDS - though we still got way more unreleased stuff than we did for TDS.

On a side note, Trent's work ethic since he got sober is seriously unfair. I am the laziest person on earth but he seems to have the work ethic and energy of several people in their 30s.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 09-26-2017 at 04:56 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i bought a copy of deviations from another member of ets and got it in the mail today. i now understand the issues people are having with the lack of liner notes and lackluster packaging etc....but i am very happy to own this and am excited to listen on my home stereo

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I haven't read this thread.
    But I took the time to listen to songs 01 to 18.

Sorry if this has been brought up to anyone's attention but
    "Somewhat Damaged" is definitely an Alternate Version, instead of "Instrumental" version of the original.
    I am not listening to the acoustic drums passages, the song is extended, and the rhythmic synth noise by the end is not present on original.

NIN should correct this to Alternate Version instead of labeling as Instrumental in further pressings (if they ever come up despite once it's gone it's gone).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    I haven't read this thread.
    But I took the time to listen to songs 01 to 18.

Sorry if this has been brought up to anyone's attention but
    "Somewhat Damaged" is definitely an Alternate Version, instead of "Instrumental" version of the original.
    I am not listening to the acoustic drums passages, the song is extended, and the rhythmic synth noise by the end is not present on original.

NIN should correct this to Alternate Version instead of labeling as Instrumental in further pressings (if they ever come up despite once it's gone it's gone).
    Same with lots of other of the songs (off the top of my head the wretched and WITT both have very different beginnings). The tag "instrumental" just means some version of the song had lyrics. The most interesting thing about the song titles is that many of the previously unreleased songs are labeled instrumental, which means they had lyrics at some point.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Same with lots of other of the songs (off the top of my head the wretched and WITT both have very different beginnings). The tag "instrumental" just means some version of the song had lyrics. The most interesting thing about the song titles is that many of the previously unreleased songs are labeled instrumental, which means they had lyrics at some point.
    There are songs which have intros, but they are clearly a cut and not part of the song. They are edit outs.
    Missing Places is a clear edit off from We're In This Together.
    The Wretched
    has 4 measure of a guitar riff in the beginning, but this sample is used within the song, so it's clearly another edit out.
    Strangely some songs are expanded like The Day the World Went Away, but they use the same samples all over the music.

However what I'm trying to point out is that Somewhat Damaged has lacking elements and addition of new elements to it.

I don't think your theory for the "Instrumental" label stands because the instrumentality of these songs have the pop structure:
    verse + chorus + verse + chorus + bridge + [verse] + chorus + chorus, so they had been prepared for vocals since day of their birth.
    Last edited by Quantum550; 10-28-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    It's not a "theory," it's a direct statement from trent.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Do words in brackets really mean a lot? Remember Ghosts where we only had numbers?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Do words in brackets really mean a lot? Remember Ghosts where we only had numbers?
    (version)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    It's not a "theory," it's a direct statement from trent.
    In that case he got it pretty messed up.

An alternative version has different element in the mix or absence of those.
    An instrumental version consists of the same song untouched without vocals.
    An edit/extended version consists of the same mix with longer measures in the bar but with no new elements to the mix.

By saying that, the Edit and Extended words also have failed to appear in this box.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Here's Trent's original post on the subject. Maybe this will help clear up the issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    When a track from Deviations says (Instrumental), that's because at some point that track had vocals on it. Those could be finished, a demo or just an outline.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    In that case he got it pretty messed up.

An alternative version has different element in the mix or absence of those.
    An instrumental version consists of the same song untouched without vocals.
    An edit/extended version consists of the same mix with longer measures in the bar but with no new elements to the mix.

By saying that, the Edit and Extended words also have failed to appear in this box.
    you are such a bummer, dude. i'm sometimes meticulous about things, but you are arguing with people about everything you possibly can, and so much of it is completely meaningless.

as @BRoswell pointed out, trent specifically addressed this in the way he wanted to, and the description of the album as a whole is that it's an alternate version of the fragile.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I wonder if Quantum550 knows the full title of Something I Can Never Have version from Natural Born Killers

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's an alternate version of the Fragile, meaning some of the previously heard songs may have differences beyond just lacking the vocals.

Here's a breakdown of the labeling:

Instrumental: An earlier version had vocals. This version may or may not have differences.
    Alternate Version: The song was always an instrumental, but there are differences.
    [No Label]: The song was always an instrumental, and it was always this version.