Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

http://www.nin.com/fragile-deviation...-preorder-now/

The Fragile: Deviations 1 Limited Edition 4X Vinyl Available for Preorder Now

A very special limited edition of The Fragile is now available for preorder in the NIN store. This unique version of NIN’s classic record was created by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross and features 37 instrumental, alternate and unreleased tracks, many of which have never been heard before anywhere.

Reznor explains, “The Fragile occupies a very interesting and intimate place in my heart. I was going through a turbulent time in my life when making it and revisiting it has become a form of therapy for me. As an experiment, I removed all the vocals from the record and found it became a truly changed experience that worked on a different yet compelling level. The Fragile: Deviations 1 represents Atticus and I embellishing the original record with a number of tracks from those sessions we didn’t use before. The result paints a complimentary but different picture we wanted to share.”

The Fragile: Deviations 1 will not be available on any digital services and only available in this format while this limited run lasts.
    -----------------------

https://store.nin.com/collections/music/products/the-fragile-deviations-1-2017
    - $80
    https://nin-uk.myshopify.com/product...iations-1-2017 - £75

Apparently limited to 5000 copies on the US store and 2000 copies on the UK store. May be printed to order.

THIS IS A PREORDER ITEM AND IS EXPECTED TO SHIP SPRING 2017
    HIGH RESOLUTION DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE 12:01AM PST 12/22

LIMITED EDITION 4 LP DECONSTRUCTION OF THE FRAGILE BY TRENT REZNOR AND ATTICUS ROSS CLOCKING IN AT 150 MINUTES! CONTAINS INSTRUMENTALS, ALTERNATE VERSIONS AND OVER AN HOUR OF NEVER BEFORE HEARD MATERIAL FROM THE ORIGINAL FRAGILE RECORDING SESSIONS. A COMPLETELY NEW EXPERIENCE FOR FANS OF THE ORIGINAL MASTERPIECE.

ALL TRACKS COMPLETELY REMASTERED, PRESSED ON 180GRAM VINYL. INCLUDES HIGH RESOLUTION DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.

ONE TIME PRESSING, WHEN IT’S GONE IT’S GONE.
    Tracklist

Side 1A
    01. Somewhat Damaged (Instrumental)
    02. The Day The World Went Away (Instrumental)
    03. The Frail (Alternative Version)
    04. The Wretched (Instrumental)

Side 1B
    01. Missing Places
    02. We're In This Together (Instrumental)
    03. The Fragile (Instrumental)
    04. Just Like You Imagined (Alternative Version)
    05. The March (Instrumental)

Side 2A
    01. Even Deeper (Instrumental)
    02. Pilgrimage (Alternate Version)
    03. One Way To Get There
    04. No, You Don't (Instrumental)
    05. Taken

Side 2B
    01. La Mer (Alternate Version)
    02. The Great Below (Instrumental)
    03. Not What It Seems Like (Instrumental)
    04. White Mask
    05. The New Flesh (Instrumental)

Side 3A
    01. The Way Is Out Through (Alternate Version)
    02. Into The Void (Instrumental)
    03. Where Is Everybody? (Instrumental)
    04. The Mark Has Been Made (Alternate Version)

Side 3B
    01. Was It Worth It? (Instrumental)
    02. Please (Instrumental)
    03. +Appendage (Instrumental)
    04. Can I Stay Here? (Instrumental)
    05. 10 Miles High (Instrumental)

Side 4A
    01. Feeders
    02. Starfuckers, Inc. (Instrumental)
    03. Complication (Alternate Version)
    04. Claustrophobia Machine (Raw)
    05. Last Heard From

Side 4B
    01. I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally (Instrumental)
    02. The Big Come Down (Instrumental)
    03. Underneath It All (Instrumental)
    04. Ripe With Decay (Instrumental)

Last edited by TheBang; 12-16-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: mod edits to make it pretty

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    will the fragile deviations 1 be on cd?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    will the fragile deviations 1 be on cd?
    Vinyl only. Vinyl comes with digital download 12/22..Vinyl ships in spring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020k View Post
    Vinyl only. Vinyl comes with digital download 12/22..Vinyl ships in spring.

fuck I might have to buy a turntable and stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    fuck I might have to buy a turntable and stuff
    The funny thing about this is that not only do you need the hardware and a compatible sound system, you need counter or table space. As shelf and rack audio equipment has become virtually non-existent, I cannot think of a single set-up I've seen recently that has room for a turntable. TVs are mounted on the wall, FFS.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Question

Where the fuck is dive and slam??!

Actually, the question (and it was before) is HOW limited that limited editions?
    Last edited by Xvostya; 12-16-2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: q added!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xvostya View Post
    Actually, the question (and it was before) is HOW limited that limited editions?
    It seems like the Fragile: Deviations vinyl and the Not The Actual Events "physical component" are the only two actually limited things. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

No idea on how limited the NTAE non-vinyl component is, but the F vinyl says "ONE TIME PRESSING, WHEN IT’S GONE IT’S GONE." if that gives anybody an idea of just how limited it is.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Phimester View Post
    I grabbed the Fragile Deviations and the new EP on vinyl as well.

Can we assume that the "definitive editions" are not limited? I don't wanna blow all this cash at once, had to get the essential stuff now, will wait to order those EPs after the holidays. Just hoping they will be around whenever, and not just limited (although on second look it doesn't say those are limited).

Crazy day!

Well, given the fact that the re-issue of PHM is still readily available, I'd say it's safe to assume the "non-limited" versions of things will be around when you're ready to buy em.

That word "limited" sure did light a fire under my ass though!!!
    Ordered the "Physical Component" version of Events and Deviations I because of it! Goood fuckin' way to spend $100, though!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    calling it now

Claustrophobia Machine (Raw) will be the most intense song on the album

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Okay. So now that my tits are calmer and I have my Deviations and my two NTAE editions in the bag...

New. Never. Before. Heard. Fragile. Material.

LET THAT SHIT SINK IN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Okay. So now that my tits are calmer and I have my Deviations and my two NTAE editions in the bag...

New. Never. Before. Heard. Fragile. Material.

LET THAT SHIT SINK IN.
    I would like to buy all of this stuff, but the site won't load!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    It seems like the Fragile: Deviations vinyl and the Not The Actual Events "physical component" are the only two actually limited things. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

No idea on how limited the NTAE non-vinyl component is, but the F vinyl says "ONE TIME PRESSING, WHEN IT’S GONE IT’S GONE." if that gives anybody an idea of just how limited it is.
    That's what makes me sad!!

Anyway, trying to get that two limited.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020k View Post
    EDIT: TDS, Broken, and TF re-pressings don't state that they're limited. Just Deviations.

Deviations 1 doesn't include the original TF, it's just the extra stuff and it's only going to be one pressing.

THIS IS A PREORDER ITEM AND IS EXPECTED TO SHIP SPRING 2017
    HIGH RESOLUTION DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE 12:01AM PST 12/22
    LIMITED EDITION 4 LP DECONSTRUCTION OF THE FRAGILE BY TRENT REZNOR AND ATTICUS ROSS CLOCKING IN AT 150 MINUTES! CONTAINS INSTRUMENTALS, ALTERNATE VERSIONS AND OVER AN HOUR OF NEVER BEFORE HEARD MATERIAL FROM THE ORIGINAL FRAGILE RECORDING SESSIONS. A COMPLETELY NEW EXPERIENCE FOR FANS OF THE ORIGINAL MASTERPIECE.
    ALL TRACKS COMPLETELY REMASTERED, PRESSED ON 180GRAM VINYL. INCLUDES HIGH RESOLUTION DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.
    ONE TIME PRESSING, WHEN IT’S GONE IT’S GONE.
    tracklist
    Side 1A
    01. Somewhat Damaged (Instrumental)
    02. The Day The World Went Away (Instrumental)
    03. The Frail (Alternative Version)
    04. The Wretched (Instrumental)

Side 1B
    01.Missing Places
    02. We're In This Together (Instrumental)
    03. The Fragile (Instrumental)
    04. Just Like You Imagined (Alternative Version)
    05. The March (Instrumental)

Side 2A
    01. Even Deeper (Instrumental)
    02. Pilgrimage (Alternate Version)
    03. One Way To Get There
    04. No, You Don't (Instrumental)
    05. Taken

Side 2B
    01. La Mer (Alternate Version)
    02. The Great Below (Instrumental)
    03. Not What It Seems Like (Instrumental)
    04. White Mask
    05. The New Flesh (Instrumental)

Side 3A
    01. The Way Is Out Through (Alternate Version)
    02. Into The Void (Instrumental)
    03. Where Is Everybody? (Instrumental)
    04. The Mark Has Been Made (Alternate Version)

Side 3B
    01. Was It Worth It? (Instrumental)
    02. Please (Instrumental)
    03. +Appendage (Instrumental)
    04. Can I Stay Here? (Instrumental)
    05. 10 Miles High (Instrumental)

Side 4A
    01. Feeders
    02. Starfuckers, Inc. (Instrumental)
    03. Complication (Alternate Version)
    04. Claustrophobia Machine (Raw)
    05. Last Heard From

Side 4B
    01. I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally (Instrumental)
    02. The Big Come Down (Instrumental)
    03. Underneath It All (Instrumental)
    04. Ripe With Decay (Instrumental)
    Ripe (With Decay) is already an instrumental though. I thought that would have (Alternate Version) in the parenthesis.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So is everybody noticing that the full title is actually "Fragile: Deviations 1"

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    So is everybody noticing that the full title is actually "Fragile: Deviations 1"
    mypeniscanonlygetsoerect.jpg

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There was almost no time between the point at which I became aware of Deviations 1's existence and the cash flowing freely from my bank account in order to secure a copy.
    I also ordered the "Physical Component" version of the new EP..
    Merry Christmas to me!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Am I the only one that wants THE FRAGILE: DEVIATIONS 1 on cd? I don't want vinyl. Seriously I am not paying $80 for the digital I want. TR if you are out there press some cds for us non vinyl people. Thank you.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Am I the only one that wants THE FRAGILE: DEVIATIONS 1 on cd? I don't want vinyl. Seriously I am not paying $80 for the digital I want. TR if you are out there press some cds for us non vinyl people. Thank you.
    I'll take a separate HD digital download purchase. Why screw over fans by making it only a certain format. Just seems silly in this day and age.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'll take a separate HD digital download purchase. Why screw over fans by making it only a certain format. Just seems silly in this day and age.
    I agree to a point, a vinyl is not really convenient at all, and my record player is shitty and I'll have a hard time listening to it.

That said, I think it's a wonderful way to make this very special release for the fans, something unique and I'm grateful that it exists! I've been wanting to hear the unreleased recordings from the Fragile era, wasn't even sure if it was just an urban legend or real, and here we are, it's not leaked, but curated by Reznor himself, in gorgeous packaging, mixing, etc. I'll deal with the vinyl part! It's fuckin' amazing!!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I agree to a point, a vinyl is not really convenient at all, and my record player is shitty and I'll have a hard time listening to it.

That said, I think it's a wonderful way to make this very special release for the fans, something unique and I'm grateful that it exists! I've been wanting to hear the unreleased recordings from the Fragile era, wasn't even sure if it was just an urban legend or real, and here we are, it's not leaked, but curated by Reznor himself, in gorgeous packaging, mixing, etc. I'll deal with the vinyl part! It's fuckin' amazing!!!
    But this is not something special for the fans... this is special for the fans who have a record player and prefer vinyl. If it was for the fans, it would be for all fans. But it is not. All vinyl has going for it is the large and beautiful artwork. But the format itself has limitations and imperfections. Plus you ruin the whole listening experience having to constantly flip sides. I like to sit back and listen from beginning to end. Not have to get up every few tracks to flip the record. I would like to support Trent in purchasing a lossless copy, but will most likely have to go the illegal route. Something like this only helps promote illegal downloading, which is a shame. And I don't want some vinyl rip, I want the actual lossless audio... 24 bit would be a plus.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Against my better judgement, I caved and bought The Fragile Deviations 1. One of my favourite albums of all time, newly remixed by TR&AR. I imagine it will sell out within a day or so. If I let this one slip by, I'd probably have regretted it. For over £80 from the UK store, it had better be beautifully presented so I at least have something to look at even though I can't play the records.

Ironically, since I don't own a record player, I'll be listening to it with my "fucking phone" turned on. Sorry, Trent, but this is 2016, not 1930.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Fragile deviations is limited to 5000. Already only at around 4000 left now

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    The Fragile deviations is limited to 5000. Already only at around 4000 left now
    Where are you getting these numbers?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Where are you getting these numbers?

NIN reddit. there is a code you can type in to see the number

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...any_copies_of/

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    Your first argument can be levelled at any piece of art criticism, yes?
    Absolutely. My disdain for professional criticism of art -- especially on a site like Pitchfork -- has been well-documented on ETS

Sure, people are influenced by reviews, and many of Pitchfork's early reviews were crap, but they can hardly be said to be responsible for holding the fate of NIN in their hands.
    I never said they were responsible for the fate of NIN. I said they were responsible for embarrassing misinformation (like claiming Not So Pretty Now was a single) and laughable album review revisionism of which they have clearly shown a pattern of throughout their history

The second point there is even weirder: a site can't change its opinion of an album twenty years later? Initial impressions are all that ever matters? Sure, their general stance towards NIN is friendlier now than it was twenty (well, okay, seventeen) years ago. That's a weird thing to be pissed off about. (Never mind the fact that reviews are invariably colored by the opinions of the people doing the reviews. It's all right for one person to like a band and the other to hate it, and it's also okay to have a music criticism site use both of those people to review the same band.)
    lol I'm not pissed off about it at all, actually. I don't care if some indie-pandering hipster music site thinks an album sucks or not; just because I'm railing against the obvious in some whimsical post doesn't necessarily mean I'm having a meltdown about online

You what *is* weird though? The seismic difference in ratings in regards to the album. A 2.0 on the day it came out to an 8.2 or whatever at the time of its reissue is pretty eyebrow-raising, don't you think? Especially when the second reviewer is largely disregarding the TF: Deviations set as inconsequential to the overall experience. So what's changed about the original album that's suddenly made it so much better? The sonic upgrade cannot account for that feat alone, can it?

If Pitchfork had any balls, they would just admit that their initial review was made in haste and that they were jumping on The Fragile bandwagon. Because no matter which reviewer is reviewing the album, it's still speaking for this sizeable name in music criticism sites you're holding it up to be, and it's contradictory. Something Pitchfork should definitely try to avoid if they're going to criticize anything in the first place, don't you think?

Hopefully, like in the past, they simply delete the shitty first review like it never existed, and they'll prove my point for me..

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Absolutely. My disdain for professional criticism of art -- especially on a site like Pitchfork -- has been well-documented on ETS
    Fair enough, then!

laughable album review revisionism of which they have clearly shown a pattern of throughout their history
    You what *is* weird though? The seismic difference in ratings in regards to the album. A 2.0 on the day it came out to an 8.2 or whatever at the time of its reissue is pretty eyebrow-raising, don't you think? Especially when the second reviewer is largely disregarding the TF: Deviations set as inconsequential to the overall experience. So what's changed about the original album that's suddenly made it so much better? The sonic upgrade cannot account for that feat alone, can it?
    See, I still find your frame of mind here just bizarre. Why does a music criticism site have some kind of obligation to pick a single, unwavering and unchangeable opinion on an album, and then refuse to ever even consider that there might be other points of view? Some guy writing reviews for Pitchfork in 1999 hated The Fragile enough to give it one of their shittier reviews, and some guy writing reviews for Pitchfork in 2016 had a different opinion. Do we really want Pitchfork to say, "No, we gave it a 2.0 and we've gotta stick to it?" That's absolutely absurd.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    See, I still find your frame of mind here just bizarre. Why does a music criticism site have some kind of obligation to pick a single, unwavering and unchangeable opinion on an album, and then refuse to ever even consider that there might be other points of view? Some guy writing reviews for Pitchfork in 1999 hated The Fragile enough to give it one of their shittier reviews, and some guy writing reviews for Pitchfork in 2016 had a different opinion. Do we really want Pitchfork to say, "No, we gave it a 2.0 and we've gotta stick to it?" That's absolutely absurd.
    How many other sites in the "music criticism business" are guilty of this kind of revisionism though, where they initially trash an album and then later double-down and re-review it with high praise? If that's so harmless, then why is Pitchfork virtually the only site doing that sort of thing? Why do they often-times delete the initial review from their website altogether?

Seriously, who does that?

When your site's review of a certain album comes in at a 2/10 only to be labeled a "magnum opus" and an 8.2/10 with no explanation whatsoever, it becomes a credibility issue. This is also the same alleged top-shelf music critiquing site that just a few weeks ago was calling 'Not So Pretty Now' a single and ATLITW a "disco barnburner"

Clearly this site is clueless when it comes to NIN. They should just consider not saying anything about them because the actual fans who listen to the music on a fairly constant basis are quick to point out just how clueless they are..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Allmusic review of Deviations, in honor of its retail release today. Much more insightful and articulative than that clueless Pitchfork review from earlier in the year..

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-f...1-mw0003023769

In late 2016, Trent Reznor issued a remaster of nine inch nails' classic 1999 double album The Fragile, as well as its counterpart, The Fragile: Deviations 1, a motherlode for the Fragile faithful and NIN completists. Comprised of 37 instrumentals (split into four LPs for the vinyl release), Deviations strips the originals of vocals, subtly reinterprets on "alternate" versions, and inserts a crop of brand new songs, creating a richer and more expansive journey. Even without Reznor's voice, the original self-loathing, seething rage, and hopeless despair still drip from every surface. The album's original textures, progression, and experimental instrumentation flourish in the spotlight, allowing the dense layers to come to the fore. Fans of Reznor and Atticus Ross' score work, as well as devotees of the Ghosts and Still instrumentals, should find much to appreciate here.

For Fragile diehards -- who may find it difficult to turn off the parts of their memories that will no doubt sing along even without Reznor's voice -- Deviations is a thrill to dissect and examine in obsessive detail. Of the old material, there are plenty of highlights that emerge from the pack of standard instrumental versions. Meanwhile, the newly released tracks inject new life into the entity, allowing it to evolve like a living, breathing creature.

Major changes occur when Reznor cleans the originals of static and dissonance, which allows the guitars to stab with cleaner thrusts, the drum hits to land like slug blasts, and the synths to bubble with even more melody.

On side one, "Somewhat Damaged," "The Wretched," and "Just Like You Imagined" benefit most from this polishing. New additions include the beat-heavy "Missing Pieces," which serves as the new intro to "We're in This Together," and "The March," last heard on Saul Williams' Reznor-produced "Skin of a Drum." Side two kicks off with a reimagined "Even Deeper," a highlight that now includes a string section, and quickly descends into madness with the riff-heavy of "One Way to Get There," a Broken-meets-"The Perfect Drug" cacophony that slides nicely into "No, You Don't." The intensity continues on the skittering "Taken" before the noise falls away to reveal the beating heart of the original Fragile, "La Mer" and "The Great Below." The former is less funky on Deviations and the Creole-French whispers are gone, but the bass, drums, and piano are amplified. "The Great Below" remains devastating, even without Reznor's performance, the de facto end to part one. As a palate cleanser, a trio of new songs provides an interlude, pulling listeners from the abyss with the somewhat hopeful "Not What It Seems Like," the elastic "White Mask," and the paranoid swirling of "The New Flesh," previously heard as a CD B-side and extra track on the original vinyl pressing.

On part two, Deviations wanders further into the hidden corners of the Fragile era. The first half of side three is home to the liveliest material, which follows an explosive "The Way Out Is Through" and extends to the funky "Into the Void" and the throbbing "Where Is Everybody?" "The Mark Has Been Made" is significantly different than the original, its jagged guitar and heavy distortion replaced by disembodied robo-gurgles and synths. The latter half of side three features the most changes on Deviations, from the standout "Was It Worth It?" -- reminiscent of the soundtrack cut, "Deep" -- to the "Please" addition "+Appendage," a drum jam originally found on the Fragile cassette. "Can I Stay Here?" and "10 Miles High" (aka "Hello, Everything Is Not OK") provide another buffer before the atmospheric closing run.

The raw side four begins with the atmospheric "Feeders," an extended version of the noise originally found on the intro to "No, You Don't." Here, it serves as necessary foreplay to the oft-maligned single "Starfuckers, Inc.," which works much better on Deviations without the cringe-worthy lyrics and cartoonish rage of the original. The uncomfortable "Claustrophobia Machine (Raw)" is a percussion-heavy assault that bleeds into the disturbing "Last Heard From," an ugly stretch before the thrilling collapse.

On the aptly titled "The Big Comedown," Reznor inserts more guitars and boosts the synths, adding samples of crowd screams that lift the original to new heights. After a newly extended start, "Underneath It All" ripples to life with the addition of crunchy guitars and more menacing synths, as overwhelming as anything on Broken's instrumental tracks. "Ripe (With Decay)" lays Deviations to rest with a more prominent beat that erases the sonic entropy of the original and persists until the abrupt coda.

With over two hours of instrumental indulgence, this collection is quite the undertaking. Casual fans would be advised to delve into the original first before exploring this treasure trove, which is best appreciated with knowledge of its predecessor. As an expansion of Reznor's creative and emotional state during that period and evidence of how he's evolved since then, The Fragile: Deviations 1 serves as both a sonic time capsule and a reminder of one of NIN's most rewarding and underrated efforts.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Theory: This is a series of Deviations, beginning with The Fragile. 2 will be With Teeth, then TDS, etc.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Theory: This is a series of Deviations, beginning with The Fragile. 2 will be With Teeth, then TDS, etc.
    I hope you're right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk