Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1516

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So......

recommendations for an affordable turntable for a complete newbie. Well technically it wouldn't be my first record player but Sesame Street records don't really count.
    Depends on your budget, I settled last year on the Audio Technica at-lp5. A sort of high entry level turntable (non audiophile), but it had very decent reviews, and an inbuilt pre-amp which was a bonus
    as my Yamaha 5.1 surround amp doesn't have a phono level input. A lot of older amps used to have phono input (preamp inbuilt) but since turntables and vinyl went out of fashion, more recent amps don't, so you have to use an aux input which requires the turntable to use either an external preamp or if the turntable has one - an inbuilt preamp. At the top end of the spectrum budget wise you could easily sink several $K on an audiophile turntable+preamp!
    Last edited by afors; 07-08-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So......

recommendations for an affordable turntable for a complete newbie. Well technically it wouldn't be my first record player but Sesame Street records don't really count.
    Check http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/, though the price of their main picks have gone up significantly on Amazon. Good place to start at least, maybe find the same models at a different store after reading what they've said in their comparisons.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So......

My first question would be; do you intend to make a day-to-day player or for special occasions? This is also to say, how do you want to listen to your music?

For example, for me, I have mine attached to my computer so that I encode records so that I can have them on my iDevices. As such, I bought myself AT-LP120-USB Direct Drive turntable. That way I can play/encode 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM discs and play them backwards if need be too.

But if you wanted to just kick back and listen to a record every once and a while, maybe that isn't the way you want to do things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymaskinen View Post
    It's now being listed for insane amounts on Discogs (no surprise, really). 150£, 250Eur, 500Eur, 271$...!
    But, it's still available at nin.com?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    Undoubtedly the WAV file has what I would describe as "clarity", "crispness" & "precision" but I personally find this sound a bit grating, brash and unpleasant to listen to after a while. I have previously tended to think the same of some CDs
    I mentioned earlier in the thread that I prefer jazz on vinyl, and you pretty much nailed the reason why. Interestingly, I can deal with digital hi-res Merzbow all day.

Really, it comes down to the mastering and how transparent the original sound stays. Nine Inch Nails makes extensive use of compression/layering, so a higher resolution digital file sounds less digital (if that makes any sense).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lejarmap138 View Post
    But, it's still available at nin.com?
    But it's sold out on the UK-store. Which may be why it appears on Discogs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I mentioned earlier in the thread that I prefer jazz on vinyl, and you pretty much nailed the reason why. Interestingly, I can deal with digital hi-res Merzbow all day.

Really, it comes down to the mastering and how transparent the original sound stays. Nine Inch Nails makes extensive use of compression/layering, so a higher resolution digital file sounds less digital (if that makes any sense).
    High resolution files do nothing special for the end product. 24bit will only give room for an extra EXTRA low noise floor, which is only relevant at the production stage. High samplerates are pretty much only relevant when doing DSP, so also not relevant in the end product.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So......

https://www.turntablelab.com/collect...packages-alpha You could spend a few minutes looking through these and the various options.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Got my Deviations today. All LPs pressed properly and only a very minor ding on one corner of the sleeve, unbent with my fingers. I'm a happy camper.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymaskinen View Post
    High resolution files do nothing special for the end product. 24bit will only give room for an extra EXTRA low noise floor, which is only relevant at the production stage. High samplerates are pretty much only relevant when doing DSP, so also not relevant in the end product.
    I'm not sure if you're confused or trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Really, it comes down to the mastering and how transparent the original sound stays. Nine Inch Nails makes extensive use of compression/layering, so a higher resolution digital file sounds less digital (if that makes any sense).*
    * I thought it was evident I meant sonically.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Listening through for the first time on fancy headphones and... holy shit. This sounds incredible. The panning and space between the sound are so gorgeous and clear. The music is of course amazing, and this new version of the album is the perfect blend of nostalgia and new. So glad I opted to stop listening to Deviations a couple months ago.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finally had a chance to sit and listen to everything... very pleased (sure, I've had the digital since Dec. but I ignored them so I could just enjoy them this way). Favourite new song; "One Way To Get There". I'd be happy with a similar "The Downward Spiral" release (and the rest of thee albums too). Having a better than remix.nin.com version of the Closer instrumental would not hurt my feelings at all...

Can really make out the use of the Kiss concert sample in "Starfuckers, Inc." now...
    Last edited by MrLobster; 07-10-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: I have more than one feeling... well, pretty sure at least.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Can really make out the use of the Kiss concert sample in "Starfuckers, Inc." now...
    yeah, i mean, it has a lot more clarity to it, and it's extended so you can hear them start chanting "KISS! KISS!"

my wife has become a bit obsessed with paul stanley recently so when i was like "that was paul yelling" her face totally lit up.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Received mine and am currently playing it. Really like the sound of it so far. It's going to make a nice addendum once I get my hands on the DE of The Fragile.

Also, am I going crazy or is the ending of Somewhat Damaged extended compared to the original digital files from December? Granted, I haven't listened to them in a while, but there's more synth modulation going on than I remember.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    @Ryan

Did tracking work for you? Just a little worried since you've had it for a week and still no sign of mine, tracking does not work either. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Neither tracking works for me.

I live in Canada and placed a SINGLE ORDER from the US store back in december...

I've got Deviations 1 coming my way from the UK (shipped June 30th) with a UKmail tracking number that doesn't seem valid.

I've got Ghosts I-IV (UK pressing) coming from the US (shipped July 11th) via USPS, "Shipping label created, awaiting item".

Then I've got a refund check for the NTAE LP (email from June 29th) that says I should receive it within 7 days (that would have been last week!)

...and the rest of my order should ship in August. :-)

EDIT : Finally got some info on the USPS tracking number... (!!)
    :-)
    Last edited by kirkenshrir; 07-14-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    That looks beautiful.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Wait, did that book come with your copy of Deviations? If so, I didn't get one

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I need one!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Wait, did that book come with your copy of Deviations? If so, I didn't get one
    He had it printed.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wow. If that had come with the actual package it would much more justify the pricetag.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    He had it printed.
    Ah! Well, like everyone else, I now want one!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Wow. If that had come with the actual package it would much more justify the pricetag.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    No it wouldn't, but at least the package wouldn't have been an incomplete afterthought.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    would love to see it, but i don't have an instagram. bummer.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Went ahead and fucking did it.
    Fuuuuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    okay where do i insert my cc info already

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Now that looks stunning. They should have supplied them with the vinyl.

In other news, they emailed me about sending a new jacket due to the damage.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmya View Post
    @Ryan

Did tracking work for you? Just a little worried since you've had it for a week and still no sign of mine, tracking does not work either. Thanks.
    I think so. I didn't track mine though. From memory I think it did work though when I looked at the initial email.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Out of curiosity, what measurements did you get those printed in? 12" x 12"?