Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'd say the stuff fans are dying to hear is the new stuff $20 or $12 for the non-vinyl lovers. I believe T-Rez wouldn't put this out unless it was done well. If it was a record label money grab like previous PHM/TDS re-issues I'd think different but this appears to be coming from the man himself and I believe we'll be getting a quality product. The "new" stuff from TF is bonus and would make sense in the deluxe omgwtfbbq collector edition and warrant the extra dough. Add limited release and you're lucky it's not $300.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    An album you vs only buy for 80 bucks is the definition of a money grab

Not to mention the circumstances

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I don't think Deviations 1 is supposed to be the "definitive" version of the album, per se. Just a new, cool, alternative look at the Fragile. I believe the main Fragile reissue is still considered to be the definitive one. In fact, the release description literally calls it: THE FRAGILE 2017 DEFINITIVE EDITION.
    I wasn't calling the Deviations 1 set the definitive version of The Fragile, just that the definitive versions of Broken, TDS, TF, AND this Deviations 1 release are all aimed at hardcore NIN fans. So the whole worrying about people skipping song and not fully experiencing the album makes no sense. These are not for casual fans. The casual fan most likely already has this album in whatever format they're gonna half ass give it a listen in. But for us, the hardcore fans, we don't need a format gimmick to make us sit down and truly listen to an album from front to back. So Trent's message makes no sense because it's directed at the casual listener who doesn't truly care to sit down and listen to a record in full. But the whole point of these releases are for his hardcore audience. We're all set to listen and experience whatever Trent puts out from beginning to end no matter the format. The format is irrelevant. Who these releases are aimed at makes the format irrelevant. Hardcore fans will sit down and listen to a CD, a record, a cassette, a digital copy in full because we're fucking hardcore fans. We're not these half ass listeners who Trent needs to worry about skipping songs and not paying attention.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-16-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I don't think Deviations 1 is supposed to be the "definitive" version of the album, per se. Just a new, cool, alternative look at the Fragile. I believe the main Fragile reissue is still considered to be the definitive one. In fact, the release description literally calls it: THE FRAGILE 2017 DEFINITIVE EDITION.
    Uh oh I think I missed some thing what is "the main Fragile reissue" and yes I am being serious. Somehow this slipped by me.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Uh oh I think I missed some thing what is "the main Fragile reissue" and yes I am being serious. Somehow this slipped by me.
    https://store.nin.com/collections/mu...nitive-edition

This one's the main reissue of the vinyl edition. The other one is a new version that uses the instrumental album as a base and adds new tracks and probably reworked sounds on the old tracks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    https://store.nin.com/collections/mu...nitive-edition

This one's the main reissue of the vinyl edition. The other one is a new version that uses the instrumental album as a base and adds new tracks and probably reworked sounds on the old tracks.
    Okay, thank you. I was so excited about the new Fragile material, I totally skipped over the main reissue. Personally I would rather have both offered in a box set of CDs. I don't want the vinyl, I could live with the downloads and burn them to a CD but then you don't get all the pretty packaging. I bought the EP but I am going to hold off on anything else and hope eventually there will be a CD option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Deviations might be a new number reference like Halo, Seed, Sigil etc and may be specifically for alternative/instrumental releases for studio albums.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm intrigued by the .js text. Aside from inventory, they show weight looks like in grams. I guess to allow the site to calculate shipping. Time to break out the scale.

Calibrate:
    HM Orig - 2x12, color sleeves, lyric sheet - 680g listed - my scale says 630g, close enough
    HTDA - 2x12 589g - my copy 610g

NTAE(Am I the first to acronymize this?) - 1x12 590g
    Broken Definitive Edition - 1x12 & 1x7 848g - Original UK pressing 260g
    TDS DEF - 2x12 907g - Orig US 440g/UK 400g/US Re-Issue 645g
    TF DEF - 3x12 997g - Orig US 720g/EU 885g
    TF Dev1- 4x12 1814g - that's 4 fucking pounds of awesome

If there's any logic to this, you could go pick up your copy off HM or HTDA 2x12 that's about what NTAE 1x12 is going to weigh. For TDS and TF some of this weight comes from 180g disks instead of the mid 90s wafer thin vinyl. But even TDS 180g Re-Issue at 645g still gets beefed up to 907g.

Broken 850, TDS 900, TF 1000 makes sense. TF Deviation 1 gets 2 pounds for 1 more LP, that's ludicrous and this is on top of the increases the other Definitive editions provide. I hope this is right, if so there may be a lot of cool stuff in there. This may also help explain the shipping charges as I apparently have 11 pounds of vinyl on the way.

Also, it looks like they've sold ~4k copies of TF Deviations 1
    Last edited by ekrekel; 12-16-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    I'm intrigued by the .js text. Aside from inventory, they show weight looks like in grams. I guess to allow the site to calculate shipping. Time to break out the scale.

Calibrate:
    HM Orig - 2x12, color sleeves, lyric sheet - 680g listed - my scale says 630g, close enough
    HTDA - 2x12 589g - my copy 610g

NTAE(Am I the first to acronymize this?) - 1x12 590g
    Broken Definitive Edition - 1x12 & 1x7 848g - Original UK pressing 260g
    TDS DEF - 2x12 907g - Orig US 440g/UK 400g/US Re-Issue 645g
    TF DEF - 3x12 997g - Orig US 720g/EU 885g
    TF Dev1- 4x12 1814g - that's 4 fucking pounds of awesome

If there's any logic to this, you could go pick up your copy off HM or HTDA 2x12 that's about what NTAE 1x12 is going to weigh. For TDS and TF some of this weight comes from 180g disks instead of the mid 90s wafer thin vinyl. But even TDS 180g Re-Issue at 645g still gets beefed up to 907g.

Broken 850, TDS 900, TF 1000 makes sense. TF Deviation 1 gets 2 pounds for 1 more LP, that's ludicrous and this is on top of the increases the other Definitive editions provide. I hope this is right, if so there may be a lot of cool stuff in there. This may also help explain the shipping charges as I apparently have 11 pounds of vinyl on the way.

Also, it looks like they've sold ~4k copies of TF Deviations 1
    there are only 5k TF deviations. so that means about 1k left

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The packaging will probably contribute a lot to the weight, right? I can't imagine that Trent would just shove four LPs into a regular sleeve.

I can't wait to get my copy.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Oh, and what the hell is "Hello, Everything Is Not Okay"?
    It's a different version of 10 Miles High.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Is Teitan Trent?
    I thought you were, with all those accurate predictions n shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hooray! Like a lot of you, I've been calmly waiting for this or something like it for 10+ years. TF has for 16 years been an album that sits above everything else as my favorite; the music that TR agonized over for so long speaks to me in a way that nothing else has since. Knowing that there was more from that creative period has always been so tantalizing. Thanks, TR, for putting this out there. I can't wait to hear it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't know what the hell to do, I stayed off the internet today to avoid Rogue One spoilers, got home from the movie and there's all these NIN preorders. I want the new EP of course and Fragile Deviations, but $80 for Deviations (which is like $110 Canadian) and I don't have a record player, right before Christmas too during a recession year. Geez Trent, give us a few more purchasing options like the old days...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    cashpiles is SOMEONE. We'll just never find out who. Hehe.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I don't understand the benefit of a format that ruins the flow of an album. Several times over the course of your listening experience, you will have to get up to either change sides or change vinyls. I don't get it. To me, that is distracting and creates more opportunities to give up or become distracted and walk away. I don't see how that helps the listening experience or somehow makes it better. I rather be able to simply put on the album, sit back, and listen to it all of the way through uninterrupted. I usually look at the art on its own when I'm not listening to the album. I like to sit back with my focus completely on the music, experiencing the non-stop journey. The art is something I can appreciate on its own. So it's like a double win and can still enjoy the album when I'm not even listening to it. But somehow you're lumped into the group of half ass listeners who don't care about the album experience and can't control themselves to pay attention to an album all of the way through. Apparently you need your listening experience to smell like all other listening experiences and that somehow makes it more special. You need to drop a needle instead of simply pressing play. His whole message just comes off as disrespectful and condescending the more I think about it. Like he knows some secret to truly enjoying a record and if you do not conform to his standards, you are not worthy to have a copy. It just comes off as pretty elitist. I thought joining with Apple was a bad move and completely against the quality standards he set, but I didn't know it would infect him and transform him into some hipster elitist. Apparently if you don't have the money to drop on the format he designated as sacred, you're no good to him. If you don't like vinyl, you're not someone who really wants to listen to his work. You're just a casual listener with your collection of CDs or external HDs filled with music. There's nothing like having an artist you loved, idolized, and supported for the last 25 years suddenly decide you're not worth releasing music for anymore.

Fend for yourself and hope those who conformed to my format of choice that I hold above you are kind enough to share my sacred work with a subpar listener such as yourself, you peasant. You are unworthy of my scraps.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-17-2016 at 04:08 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    His whole message just comes off as disrespectful and condescending the more I think about it.
    I feel like you're overthinking it a tad and taking something to heart that you shouldn't be. I feel like this is one part Trent pining for nostalgia and another part how he feels about what the most beneficial way to experience music is. He is an artist, and that colors a lot of how he sees the world and doesn't necessarily reflect onto you in the same way. Don't take it personally.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I thought joining with Apple was a bad move and completely against the quality standards he set, but I didn't know it would infect him and transform him into some hipster elitist. Apparently if you don't have the money to drop on the format he designated as sacred, you're no good to him. If you don't like vinyl, you're not someone who really wants to listen to his work. You're just a casual listener with your collection of CDs or external HDs filled with music. There's nothing like having an artist you loved, idolized, and supported for the last 25 years suddenly decide you're not worth releasing music for anymore.
    Well, this is definitely not his first time showing off his love of the newly-resurrected vinyl format. Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D had some vinyl only extra tracks, Welcome Oblivion did too.
    The important thing for me is, he's not just throwing those tracks away on vinyl. Welcome Oblivion LP had an exclusive CD so that vinyl supporters can also enjoy the album digitally, and this time he's giving us hi-res downloads.
    I understand why this decision might piss up some people/fans, but at least regarding the 2 Fragile releases announced today I think TR is making the right choice.
    He mastered/mixed some tracks again, added some more tracks and even re-sequenced it for vinyl back then because simple copy-and-paste method didn't work, so why should it work now?
    Last edited by Lerxto; 12-17-2016 at 04:36 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayscaleRain View Post
    I feel like you're overthinking it a tad and taking something to heart that you shouldn't be. I feel like this is one part Trent pining for nostalgia and another part how he feels about what the most beneficial way to experience music is. He is an artist, and that colors a lot of how he sees the world and doesn't necessarily reflect onto you in the same way. Don't take it personally.
    But it is personal. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to drop $100+ on a physical format & shipping. So he's pricing out fans all because of a exclusive format that causes it to be higher priced when it doesn't have to be. This is not helping anyone, this has no benefit to anyone. Unless you got $100+ to spare with shipping. With a separate digital download, it doesn't have to be that expensive. But now he is driving up the price for the sake of a format preference. So now he's turning his music into a sign of elitism. Who is this release/music for? So fans with a $100+ to spend can feel like one of special ones while the rest of us are given the finger? It's just sad after all these years, this is what it has become. I want to support his work, but he's forcing fans to be price gouged with this format exclusive crap. It's disappointing and disheartening. According to Trent, when the label pulled crap like this, he urged fans to steal it. But honestly, I see he's no better than the label. Why should I support him further? According to him, I'm not the type of fan he wants listening to his music.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-17-2016 at 05:09 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It is not personal. He does what he wants with his music. He considers it as only good WITH the vinyl, well, be it...
    And as you clearly say, he doesn't seem to have a big problem with p**acy, so just wait for the universe to send you the digital files, from which you will be able to burn any CD, even record it on cassette if you wish... You will be happy, Trent will be happy because he sold his N copies of his work and earn exactly what he wanted for it (let's say N*80$ minus the costs), and that's it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Blaming the format because casual listeners won't listen to your album in full is such a cop out and honestly misses the real point. If your album is good enough and important enough to people, they will listen to it in its entirety. You can't base your view on the music listening experiences of casual listeners who were never gonna listen to your album in full in the first place.

Sadly, there are people out there who only care for the singles. Hence why physical singles used to be so popular back in the day. But we've gotten rid of singles and those folks can simply pick and choose the tracks they want now since you no longer need to separate singles from albums in the digital world. But that doesn't mean there aren't still people who sit down and listen to albums in full. It's not some lost artform. It can be done with any format. And honestly, people not listening to your latest album in full like they did with your older one might have more to do with the quality of your latest work and nothing to do with the format. Perhaps your latest just doesn't connect with the listener fully. But if you latest work is truly great, people will listen to it in full.

Most of the mainstream, commercial artists can't even write a full album and live off their hit singles with a bunch of album filler in between. Hell, plenty of bands can't last a full album. It takes hard work to deliver a truly great album from start to finish. Of course, with the mainstream hit single driven market, singles will be more noticeable. That became a commodity for the major labels struggling to hang on. But that doesn't mean to give up on writing a great album if its available digitally.

The casual listeners' short attention span has more to do with the current state of the world, such as the economy forcing many people to work mutiple jobs and extra hours to barely scrape by, thus limiting their free time for music. That has a bigger impact than the frigging format. But again, if an album truly connects with people, they will make the time to listen to it in full. It's up to the artist to deliver on their side. It needs to meet that level of greatness. Sadly, there is a lot shitty, mindless, half ass music out there that sells. It doesn't mean the album format is dead. A great album transcends formats. It will make people want to take time out of their day to listen to it whether it's on CD, vinyl, tape, or digital.

The artist needs to take a little more responsibility to deliver the music. Just because people sat down with your album back in the day doesn't guarantee your latest album will have the same effect. It shouldn't be easy. Plus you shouldn't have to trap and force the listener with a format gimmick. The music should speak for itself. If people aren't listening to your album in full, maybe it's just that good and has nothing to do with the format. And if you want more people to listen to your album in full, releasing it exclusively in an expensive format that excludes a large chunk of people from buying it isn't going to help a goddamn thing. If this is your idea of bringing the album back into popularity, mission failed.

But it's easier to simply blame the format and doesn't make the artist feel so bad to think maybe they just didn't deliver a solid album from front to back.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-17-2016 at 05:50 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    guys, shut the fuck up.

okay.

So, now that all this attention is on The Fragile @teitan , can you please finally perform Underneath It All live whenever you do shows again (hopefully not till late 2017/2018 for my bank account's sake)? Thanks buddy. Oh, and re-stock this t-shirt again if you could:

I feel like I've gotten alot accomplished here folks. You're welcome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    But it is on CD, as it is in digital... You can just burn it, or have it on tape, or whatever. The artwork, going with it.
    In a way I find this very consistent: you pay only one same price for the music and the artwork.
    Maybe what bums you out is that in this case the price is high.

What I still think is not consistent is his work with apple. You cannot make a huge statement about the greatness of music and then release Juno in AAC 256kbit/s

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    guys, shut the fuck up.

okay.....
    i agree, thanks.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    What I still think is not consistent is his work with apple. You cannot make a huge statement about the greatness of music and then release Juno in AAC 256kbit/s
    Exactly, his actions/choices have been quite at odds with this mission statement for a quality music experience. When I think of audio quality, iTunes is at the bottom of my list. Trent should be working with Qobuz, not Apple.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Theres new NIN, Re-Mastered NIN(for reasonable prices), and an $80 collector focused dump of remixes, alternate takes, and maybe a few cut we think should have been on the 1999 release. His art isn't necessarily just the music, he valued the the package as a whole and came to that price point. Oh BTW, the thing looks like it's gonna weigh 4 pounds.

Perhaps if you quit pissing off the Vinyl loving, a-hat, collector monkeys you may find yourself with a DL from one of their duplicate orders.... Or again, buy it then sell the physical whenever it shows up. I'll give you $40.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Has the Apple Music version of this been taken down? Can seem to find it...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    TF's production/instrumentals are its strongest asset in my opinion, so now to have it prepared as an instrumental experience sounds fucking exciting!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Question: I never got around to downloading the Apple Music instrumental but given all this hooplah I decided to track it down (on a random untrustworthy site since it's not available anymore) as a teaser to get me to next week and in the version of La Mer, around the :38 mark there is a YZ ish glitchy noise that lasts for 3-4 seconds. Is that on everyone's version or was there some sort of error in this specific rip? Just curious. Thanks