Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1516

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A Discogs user is reporting that the inside of the gatefold sleeves is printed. Does that mean that we get another 4 pages from the PFD printed on the inside?
    Last edited by swd; 07-06-2017 at 05:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Many thanks, I see it is 'in transit'

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swd View Post
    A Discogs user is reporting that the inside of the gatefold sleeves is printed. Does that mean that we get another 4 pages from the PFD printed on the inside?
    Far as I can tell, it's just black flood.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Obviously you choose how to listen, but vinyl can't be surround sound
    There were quadrophonic vinyl records for a short while.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Obviously you choose how to listen, but vinyl can't be surround sound
    I mean The Flaming Lips did make a Ziarika 4LP pressing that could be played on 4 turntables at once. Quick, someone should see if playing all 4 Deviations LPs doesn't sound like utter cacophony!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    By the way. For the first time the UK store says 'it's sold out'. The US store still has it for sale. But....the last ones will be on stock (?)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    If you wait for your sleeve to split and the gatefold to fall apart and then cut, crease and fold the remains into a valentine card and mail it to Leo Herrera you unlock the ARG that finally allows you to download FLAC files of Strobelight (and then the bonus track of people bitching that they aren't in whatever ultra-HQ file format they obsess over instead).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For everyone with a delay, delivery issues, damaged covers etc, it was definitely worth the wait. The audio quality is absolutely superb. If you are buying this for the sleeve etc, then you may be disappointed. The sound on each disk is amazing. Almost worth buying a good turntable and amp for...seriously! If this is anything to go by I can't wait for the DE's to arrive....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    For everyone with a delay, delivery issues, damaged covers etc, it was definitely worth the wait. The audio quality is absolutely superb. If you are buying this for the sleeve etc, then you may be disappointed. The sound on each disk is amazing. Almost worth buying a good turntable and amp for...seriously! If this is anything to go by I can't wait for the DE's to arrive....
    What I want to know (and checking with you seems as good as anybody) is if you are noting much or any difference between the vinyl playback versus the high fidelity downloads that came with the order? My stereo system isn't particularly fancy and my ears are kinda half-shot so I didn't notice any difference.

its just I keep hearing people say how amazing the vinyl sounds, I figured I would try to gauge if I am missing something.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ha, well what do you know... it is. What the fuck is that about?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    its here its here! sleeve is banged up.... somewhat damaged but whatever. its here.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Weird mine is printed on the inside too. Shit had I known that I'd have paid $90 for this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My sentiments exactly. Packaging and presentation of the album as a "thing" is a bit of a let down, but it sounds fantastic (particularly when heard through big vintage speakers and a good 2-channel amp). Seriously looking forward to the DEs...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Weird mine is printed on the inside too. Shit had I known that I'd have paid $90 for this.
    What was printed on the inside? My copy is still sealed...

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    What was printed on the inside? My copy is still sealed...
    Not with anything intricate, just some blurry black/blue fragile style smears or whatever. Not an actual photo or anything.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    What I want to know (and checking with you seems as good as anybody) is if you are noting much or any difference between the vinyl playback versus the high fidelity downloads that came with the order? My stereo system isn't particularly fancy and my ears are kinda half-shot so I didn't notice any difference.

its just I keep hearing people say how amazing the vinyl sounds, I figured I would try to gauge if I am missing something.
    because vinyl

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

24 bit hi-res lossless is the way to go. Less hassle and superior sound as long as the masters are done properly. Vinyl is a preference, but to each their own. Don't get me wrong, vinyl can look really pretty. There's nothing pretty about a computer file. But if you want the closest thing to what was heard in the studio when mixing and mastering is finalized, a 24 bit file is just that. It's literally like the artist handed you the file as soon as it was finished.

For me, I am about seemless playback. I don't want an album broken up into multiple sides and records. I want the closest thing to a continuous mix. I don't want to have to get up to change records or worry about when a side ends. I want to sit back, relax, and enjoy the album in the highest, most pristine, closest to the original quality there is. I don't care about the MP3 vs FLAC debate or if 24 bit is a waste. If the artists render their music as 24 bit files, I want 24 bit files. I want what the music the way the artists hand their work over to the label and that is in 24 bit. I don't what a format that forces the artist to record their music a specific way so it presses properly or adds any sort of coloring/noise to the sound. If I want to admire its artwork while listening, I'll just throw the cover art or PDF file up on my 60" 4K TV to admire.

So if what I just said resonates with you, stick with 24 bit. If you want something that looks pretty sitting displayed out on a shelf, go with vinyl... but make sure to get those accompanying 24 bit files. Listen to those and leave your $80 art piece on the shelf.

The Not The Actual Events physical component is probably the most genius thing Trent did. He showed what the modern music experience can be. The best of both worlds. You get the high quality files and a genuine piece of art to go along with it without the high costs of pressing vinyl. You could have a lot more beautiful and elaborate art pieces accompanying albums if you just ditch the costly vinyl and stick with the art and packaging itself to go with HD digital files. More money focused on the art than pressing records. Or go Blu-ray.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-06-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't have an audiophile level system, more mid/entry hi fi level (Audio Technica turntable through my Yamaha 5.1 surround amp (set to 2 channel) and a pair of really old Tannoy speakers. I haven't tried 24 bit files, perhaps I'll go see if the download coupon works and grab them for comparison. I Just have the 320kbps MP3 version (other than the vinyl) and my phone as a source, so it is probably best if the comparison is left to others!

What I can say is that this vinyl compared to other vinyl sounds more like a top notch quality reproduction. ie it sounds more like putting a CD on than a record, and that's on my low/mid level system.

What I will say with vinyl in general is that there is a warmth to the sound compared to digital versions, it's hard to quantify, but I've noticed it across multiple albums, then there is the better connection with the album/artist/music as others have described. I'm really enjoying the format having been away from it for 20 years. There is the nostalgia aspect too I have to admit, having grown up with the format. Now having come back to it I find owning mp3's just doesn't compare to having a box of vinyl to flick through. Although the portability of the mp3 format obviously can't be beat.
    Last edited by afors; 07-07-2017 at 05:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What I will say with vinyl in general is that there is a warmth to the sound compared to digital versions, it's hard to quantify, but I've noticed it across multiple albums, then there is the better connection with the album/artist/music as others have described. I'm really enjoying the format having been away from it for 20 years. There is the nostalgia aspect too I have to admit, having grown up with the format. Now having come back to it I find owning mp3's just doesn't compare to having a box of vinyl to flick through. Although the portability of the mp3 format obviously can't be beat.
    I used to listen to vinyl as a kid and gradually drifted out of it. Still kept all my old records though, just had nothing to play them on. Then, by complete surprise, my lovely GF decided to buy me a turntable for Christmas. Whilst I outwardly displayed joy upon opening it, inside I was thinking - 'do I really needs this? I have a pretty respectable CD/digital setup and hundreds of CDs and downloads.' After an hour of listening to it, I knew I did need it and I have not looked back since. Vinyl - for me - is so much more pleasurable to listen to. I actually used to find digital and CD playback quite fatiguing on the ears after a while. It just seemed to really scream and shout at you constantly, and not in a good way. With Vinyl, the warmth of it melts away all those harsh digital edges and it just simply plays to you and immerses you. I honestly think I have listened to more music on vinyl this year so far than I did to CD all of last year. Obviously, the benefits of the actual physical product being an art piece are nice, but they would not sway me on that merit alone. However, in this case they are the icing on the cake. It's odd because in just about every measurable way, a high quality digital file will beat vinyl hands down. Thing is, this is not about something you can measure but something you can feel. It has that more organic quality to it. For me, at any rate.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    ...or adds any sort of coloring/noise to the sound.
    In general, I prefer this for jazz. Sultry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mine arrived in Denmark today - no bent corners! Vinyl looks good, except for a small blemish on one side, which fortunately seems to be inaudible. One seems a little curved but not bad. And it does sound great (as did the digital). Also, the pockets seem to be a notch bigger than the usual gatefold, so it shouldn't be an issue to have to records in one - although it IS a cheap move. And that's my standing issue with this: Premium price should mean NO shortcuts and NO cheap moves.
    As a release the price ought to be no more than 40$, which is STILL pricey for what it is, but I would give that a pass because of the limited run. For some reason, some people are willing to accept hugely inflated prices for as long as something smells of vinyl.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    My arrived today and my sleeve was messed up too. Corners bent in and looks like the records were trying to burst through the top of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's now being listed for insane amounts on Discogs (no surprise, really). 150£, 250Eur, 500Eur, 271$...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    did anyone else get two liner notes in their lp? nothing different about them, look exactly the same.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzomilione View Post
    did anyone else get two liner notes in their lp? nothing different about them, look exactly the same.
    Every page is exactly the same

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Mine is also somewhat damaged:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Mine is also somewhat damaged:[/img]
    Mine's about the same, minus the ring outline. I'm not going to bother emailing them for a replacement, mostly because it's small enough of an issue (to me), and partially because of the required energy of opening another ticket. I'd imagine a replacement jacket could potentially come in worse shape.
    Last edited by blassster; 07-07-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Despite a miiinor ding in one corner, the rest of mine made it to me in one piece, and so far (side g) this record sounds absolutely perfect. It's what I wanted, and the damage isn't nearly enough to make a fuss over, but I do sincerely hope TR finds better luck with distribution/shipping in the future! I'd hate for everybody to miss out on enjoying this one or later releases because of stuff like this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So I did as suggested and downloaded the WAV files (4608kbps, 24 bit depth?) for Deviations 1 (a whopping 5GB!) then listened whilst switching amp sources between Vinyl (turntable) and WAV (via laptop soundcard) on the same tracks. In summary -

Undoubtedly the WAV file has what I would describe as "clarity", "crispness" & "precision" but I personally find this sound a bit grating, brash and unpleasant to listen to after a while. I have previously tended to think the same of some CDs.

The Vinyl has less clarity than the WAV especially on the high frequency end (although that could just be my non high end turntable/cartridge), but in my opinion it has a "warmer", "deeper" and more "pleasant" sound, with a particularly nice bass. I could definitely listen to vinyl for longer periods of time as it's more audibly pleasing on my ears.

Sorry I can't be any more scientific, but it was worth doing this exercise just to remind me of the differences. I'm not trying to be a vinyl snob either, but I can understand why some people never left the format. To each his own though...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    So......

recommendations for an affordable turntable for a complete newbie. Well technically it wouldn't be my first record player but Sesame Street records don't really count.