Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1481

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Vinyl+digital download is the only release, yes. No streaming services, iTunes, other digital sources, this is it.
    shit. I bought the vinyl but would like to buy it on itunes to listen to in my car

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,803
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    shit. I bought the vinyl but would like to buy it on itunes to listen to in my car
    Can't you just import the digital files you get to your car/car listening device?

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    If someone is kind enough to share their lossless download with me, I'll gladly pay you $20 to help cover some of your vinyl costs. Money that could have gone to Trent, but that is on him. $80 for a digital format and a vinyl I don't need is insane.
    you're a fucking bummer

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    you're a fucking bummer
    I respectfully disagree. OP is just assigning value to a prospective purchase, which is what most people typically do.

    It sort of begs the question...what are people willing to pay for digital only? $20? $30? $40?

    Personally, I'd go as high as $50. $80 for useless vinyl that will never see the light of day? No thanks.

    What say you?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,803
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Great music is an experience, pressing shuffle and listening to your 192kbps rip mixed in with the Westworld soundtrack maybe isn't the experience NIN wanted

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't mind the vinyl... I bought them all today. But I have no idea what turntable to get. Fuck, I don't even know how to spin the record and all that stuff

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    I don't mind the vinyl... I bought them all today. But I have no idea what turntable to get. Fuck, I don't even know how to spin the record and all that stuff
    Pro tip: 78 RPM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX 24.24.2.883
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    We're talking about a man who famously gave digital albums away for free (although most fans still bought physical copies), and then kept concert ticket prices absurdly reasonable for the Wave Goodbye club shows, i.e., arguably the hottest NIN ticket in history. I have a hard time believing that this newly announced pricing structure (e.g., $80 for 37 tracks, vinyl purchase required) reflects an honest value judgment, or even greed. More of an eccentric move the motives for which are beyond comprehension.
    Don't forget he paid for the LITS Tour production while keeping prices relatively low. Meanwhile Waters and his couple of projectors and Styrofoam blocks is charging $250 for a floor seat.

    To those complaining about $80 so they can get their legal(or loyal fan) digital copy. Buy the damn record and sell it on ebay for $40, $50, $60. Hell, PM me I might buy it.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 12-16-2016 at 09:36 PM.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    you're a fucking bummer
    Much more eloquent than my reply to him.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This news reminds me that I don't own a decent turntable and have like 4 crates of vinyl I've never really listened to. Sucks being broke all the time.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,093
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teitan View Post
    you're a fucking bummer
    Your mom is a bummer
    oh snap!

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    to the people bitching about this, can we just think about it for a minute? sure it sucks that this is only on vinyl, but Trent released new fragile stuff that has never been heard by any of us. plus instrumental versions of the songs, which I think will sound amazing. imagine every little piece of ever instrument on that amazing album? he didn't have to do this for us. plus remastering the fragile vinyl for $45, while the cheapest you could get a copy for was about $250




    Reznor explains, “The Fragile occupies a very interesting and intimate place in my heart. I was going through a turbulent time in my life when making it and revisiting it has become a form of therapy for me. As an experiment, I removed all the vocals from the record and found it became a truly changed experience that worked on a different yet compelling level. The Fragile: Deviations 1 represents Atticus and I embellishing the original record with a number of tracks from those sessions we didn’t use before. The result paints a complimentary but different picture we wanted to share.”


    get fucking hyped

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Going to go back to the plasma donation center and use blood money to buy this. Hopefully it doesn't sell out by Tuesday.
    Now this man's got his priorities straight.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Now this man's got his priorities straight.
    Come to think of it...

    I know there's still a ban on donating blood if you're gay, but can you sell your blood (plasma) if you're gay?

    Because that's a plan for getting the rest of the re-pressed vinyl that I hadn't thought of...

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,093
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    You know, if you didn't have to slip in shit like "Money that could have gone to Trent, but that is on him." I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one willing to help you and not take a cent. Because NIN fans, at least on ETS, tend to try to help each other more often than not.
    But you said it yourself, you "don't need" it. So I'm going to pass on PMing you next week. I'm still sure someone will help you, looking past your bitching about how Trent is missing out on $20 from you because you're mad at how he wants to release it. That's just going to turn people off from helping you.
    Kinda like when people reply to someone asking for help getting something that was never released commercially with "google it". Attitude goes a long way when asking for download links.



    Like I said, don't worry, I'm sure someone will send you a PM anyway.

    Edited out a bunch of stuff because I kinda got into rant mode when all I meant to quote you and say was "dude, chill a bit with the attitude, and don't go offering money to people to send you files illegally out in the open on ETS.
    Offering people money as a gesture of thanks is me being a dick? Especially after that person dropped $80 of their hard earned money for their vinyl version and is now helping me out. My attitude towards Trent's 1970's way of releasing new music with this album somehow reflects my gratitude in someone helping me out by offering something in return for their work? What I am saying is that I would have gladly given that money to Trent for making a separate download available, but I'll happily give it to a ETS member for their help. Most people would just be like, "Can you give me a copy?" without any offer whatsoever. Somehow that makes me a dick... interesting. Wow, I thought I was doing a nice thing by showing a little gratitude for the help. I'm sure there are a couple of people on this forum that can vouche for my generosity when it comes to me sharing music with them.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-16-2016 at 10:00 PM.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ponta Grossa, Brazil
    Posts
    785
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I'm guessing most of what's on this album is basically the same as what was on Apple Music last year, though probably tinkered with a bit.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Seems like a lot of this stuff was on Apple Music a year ago, and it didn't sound super different.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Is Teitan Trent?

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Is Teitan Trent?
    No, it's obviously Mariqueen.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Is Teitan Trent?
    open secret, if he's still using that same handle here. I wouldn't bombard him with any pm's, though. Boundaries and shit, ya know?

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'm sure there are a couple of people on this forum that can vouche for my generosity when it comes to me sharing music with them.
    I'm sure you've helped many people in the past. I recognize your name.
    That doesn't mean your tirade about "I'll gladly pay you $20 to help cover some of your vinyl costs. Money that could have gone to Trent, but that is on him. $80 for a digital format and a vinyl I don't need is insane." isn't a completely dick post. Because, your fake shock aside, you were being a dick.
    There are plenty of times I've been a dick, even though I've been a nice helpful person before that. Doesn't negate the whole being a dick thing, though.


    You want the digital but not the vinyl? Buy the vinyl, don't open it, and sell it at cost. Or, since you want to give a NIN fan $20 for helping you out with your "problem", sell it for $60. It'll go, and you'll have paid $20 for a digital copy. All without talking shit about what was essentially a gift for the hardcore loyal fans who have wanted this, and happily bought it.

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,093
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I'm sure you've helped many people in the past. I recognize your name.
    That doesn't mean your tirade about "I'll gladly pay you $20 to help cover some of your vinyl costs. Money that could have gone to Trent, but that is on him. $80 for a digital format and a vinyl I don't need is insane." isn't a completely dick post. Because, your fake shock aside, you were being a dick.
    There are plenty of times I've been a dick, even though I've been a nice helpful person before that. Doesn't negate the whole being a dick thing, though.


    You want the digital but not the vinyl? Buy the vinyl, don't open it, and sell it at cost. Or, since you want to give a NIN fan $20 for helping you out with your "problem", sell it for $60. It'll go, and you'll have paid $20 for a digital copy. All without talking shit about what was essentially a gift for the hardcore loyal fans who have wanted this, and happily bought it.
    A gift? Get your head out of your ass. Trent only has been cockteasing us for how many years now in regards to a deluxe Fragile an reissue only to release it as a format exclusive release that screws over a huge chunk of fans who do not listen to vinyl. Give me a break. If I'm being a dick, then Trent is being a dick. A gift? Yeah, Trent ain't making any money off this release "gift." The Slip was a gift. The only dick here is you as per usual. Me being pissed at Trent and voicing it is completely justified. This is the guy who talks about the importance of quality and format and the fans only release exclusive music in specific formats that many can't experience or releasing it in Apple's crappy compressed format to coincide with their platform release. Just because Trent tries to claim some artistic reasoning behind why he is releasing this release the way he is doesn't negate the fact that he is a complete hypocrite in his actions. Was I being a dick to Trent? Yes, I was. But I don't see what's so dick offering a fellow fan something in exchange for their help. Your taking two separate things and trying to twist them together. I'm sorry if you take my justified anger with Trent so personally. I'm sorry I was being a dick to Trent and it hurt your feelings.

    Let me guess, you're gonna facepalm this post as usual.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-16-2016 at 10:29 PM.

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm hoping this makes it's way digital to buy at some point. While I'd love the vinyl I don't have anyway to play it nor the money to be spending on that kind of thing. Saying that, it didn't stop me from getting the Welcome Oblivion vinyl which is proudly displayed above my kitchen door.

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Maybe I understand the whole artist thing because I am one myself. Not nearly on the same level at Trent, mind you, just that I understand a want to put your work out there in the way that you want it to exist, not simply the way one angry person (or even many people) want it to exist. I would go into a whole explanation about this, but I get the feeling you would, at most, skim over it before frantically typing up another angry reply about how I'm an asshole and you're a nice guy and Trent should mail you a copy and apologize for daring to release something the way he wants to release it.

    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Let me guess, you're gonna facepalm this post as usual.
    Naw, I'll just laugh at you for making a complete fool of yourself bitching in here, and move on. I would hope, in time, you can move on too.

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,093
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    New EP, single sided sells for $20
    Broken, a single vinyl with a 7" sells for $25
    TDS, a double vinyl sells for $35
    The Fragile, a triple vinyl sells for $45
    Then the 4 vinyl Fragile Deviations jumps up to $80???

    You call this a gift? Why the sudden $35 leap in price to go from 3 to 4 vinyls where as it was only $10 increments to go from 1 to 2 to 3 vinyls? Looks like he's gouging the hardcore fans. I don't find this any different than when Trent complained about how the label was selling his album for more money in certain countries because they knew his hardcore fans would pay for it compared to normal pop artists who they need to keep pricing down for.

  25. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Will you both get a room already?

  26. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,093
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Maybe I understand the whole artist thing because I am one myself. Not nearly on the same level at Trent, mind you, just that I understand a want to put your work out there in the way that you want it to exist, not simply the way one angry person (or even many people) want it to exist. I would go into a whole explanation about this, but I get the feeling you would, at most, skim over it before frantically typing up another angry reply about how I'm an asshole and you're a nice guy and Trent should mail you a copy and apologize for daring to release something the way he wants to release it.
    I think I got an idea what it's like to be an artist being a songwriter/music producer and all. As an artist, I wouldn't want to leave out any of my supporters. Especially when it comes to something like a preference to what I believe is the better format. Each format has its positives and negatives. Just because I prefer a format, I wouldn't let that get in my way of my listeners being able to listen and able to support my work.

    Plus Trent's speech about why he chose vinyl is a tad condescending. I think I am able to control myself and sit down on my own and be able to play an album from start to finish without the format gimmick. I don't need a record to make me listen to an album in full.

    If this Fragile Deviations release was a gift for the hardcore fans, why would he care so much to make a statement against the casual listener and about making sure people sit down and listen to the record from beginning to end? I thought this was for the hardcore fans. But he made this record so you won't get up (except the several times to flip or change the damn record). Your hardcore fans wouldn't just go and skip tracks and get up in the middle of the album. Vinyl, CD, digital, frigging cassette... your hardcore fan will sit there and listen to the whole album from front to back. If this is for the hardcore fan, they would be sitting there no matter the format appreciating and experiencing the record.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-16-2016 at 10:56 PM.

  27. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX 24.24.2.883
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    New EP, single sided sells for $20
    Broken, a single vinyl with a 7" sells for $25
    TDS, a double vinyl sells for $35
    The Fragile, a triple vinyl sells for $45
    Then the 4 vinyl Fragile Deviations jumps up to $80???

    You call this a gift? Why the sudden $35 leap in price to go from 3 to 4 vinyls where as it was only $10 increments to go from 1 to 2 to 3 vinyls? Looks like he's gouging the hardcore fans. I don't find this any different than when Trent complained about how the label was selling his album for more money in certain countries because they knew his hardcore fans would pay for it compared to normal pop artists who they need to keep pricing down for.
    You've got a point but it's inverted, $45 for a triple vinyl is stupid cheap. Particularly an album this highly regarded. When TR & RS started talking about Deluxe Edition I was certain we'd be talking about a $300(minimum) set. While this doesn't look like an A+R level production it's still essentially a 7 vinyl set for $125 with remastered original and a pile of unreleased/alternate stuff.

  28. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,093
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    You've got a point but it's inverted, $45 for a triple vinyl is stupid cheap. Particularly an album this highly regarded. When TR & RS started talking about Deluxe Edition I was certain we'd be talking about a $300(minimum) set. While this doesn't look like an A+R level production it's still essentially a 7 vinyl set for $125 with remastered original and a pile of unreleased/alternate stuff.
    Then going by that reasoning, he's still selling the release that we all really, really want (after years of being cockteased) for the higher, correct amount. Why do the other ones get a special discount? Especially since this does not seem to be for the casual fan at all. This is for the hardcore fans who want the definitive version of the album. So why pass a discount along to the albums we all already have but then charge more for the release that he knows fans are dying to hear?

    Trent knows the fans are dying to hear this new version of The Fragile. He knows fans will pay a pretty penny for it. But if he was able to pass the savings along to us for the other releases, why not this one as well? I could see if the prices matched accordingly with the Deviations set.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-16-2016 at 11:02 PM.

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    this does not seem to be for the casual fan at all. This is for the hardcore fans who want the definitive version of the album.
    I don't think Deviations 1 is supposed to be the "definitive" version of the album, per se. Just a new, cool, alternative look at the Fragile. I believe the main Fragile reissue is still considered to be the definitive one. In fact, the release description literally calls it: THE FRAGILE 2017 DEFINITIVE EDITION.

  30. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Posts
    1,868
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Then being condescending or pretentious is nothing new, O think is kind of fun, and it's not as hostile as attitudes coming from people in similar positions (like Maynard).

    The pricing scheme that takes advantage of hardcore fans: also nothing new. It is definitely sad and fucked up to exist as the only means to get it. That's new. Definitely a sense of clasSism there. I guess I'm glad it's not exclusive to Apple music?

    Glad to see some new music.

    Calling a release that always costs $80 a "gift" is fanboyism

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions