Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    And it's been less than a day since all this was announced, everyone take a chill pill and see what else rolls out. I have a strong feeling you will be able to grab the digital versions quite easily if you wanted to...
    Nope. (not legally, anyway)

The Fragile: Deviations 1 will not be available on any digital services and only available in this format while this limited run lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    people who have the means to rip the audio and share it online.
    No ripping required. It comes with a digital download.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'll take a separate HD digital download purchase. Why screw over fans by making it only a certain format. Just seems silly in this day and age.
    I agree to a point, a vinyl is not really convenient at all, and my record player is shitty and I'll have a hard time listening to it.

That said, I think it's a wonderful way to make this very special release for the fans, something unique and I'm grateful that it exists! I've been wanting to hear the unreleased recordings from the Fragile era, wasn't even sure if it was just an urban legend or real, and here we are, it's not leaked, but curated by Reznor himself, in gorgeous packaging, mixing, etc. I'll deal with the vinyl part! It's fuckin' amazing!!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I agree to a point, a vinyl is not really convenient at all, and my record player is shitty and I'll have a hard time listening to it.

That said, I think it's a wonderful way to make this very special release for the fans, something unique and I'm grateful that it exists! I've been wanting to hear the unreleased recordings from the Fragile era, wasn't even sure if it was just an urban legend or real, and here we are, it's not leaked, but curated by Reznor himself, in gorgeous packaging, mixing, etc. I'll deal with the vinyl part! It's fuckin' amazing!!!
    But this is not something special for the fans... this is special for the fans who have a record player and prefer vinyl. If it was for the fans, it would be for all fans. But it is not. All vinyl has going for it is the large and beautiful artwork. But the format itself has limitations and imperfections. Plus you ruin the whole listening experience having to constantly flip sides. I like to sit back and listen from beginning to end. Not have to get up every few tracks to flip the record. I would like to support Trent in purchasing a lossless copy, but will most likely have to go the illegal route. Something like this only helps promote illegal downloading, which is a shame. And I don't want some vinyl rip, I want the actual lossless audio... 24 bit would be a plus.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I have the feeling Canuckle wasn't talking about legal means of acquiring the digital download without buying the vinyl.

I don't see the point of releasing it on CD, either. Yes, people still use them, sure, but not nearly enough people to justify making a run of them, even if it's limited. Though I suppose they could sell out of them solely on the backs of psychos like us that'll slurp up whatever Trent puts out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I have the feeling Canuckle wasn't talking about legal means of acquiring the digital download without buying the vinyl.

I don't see the point of releasing it on CD, either. Yes, people still use them, sure, but not nearly enough people to justify making a run of them, even if it's limited. Though I suppose they could sell out of them solely on the backs of psychos like us that'll slurp up whatever Trent puts out.
    While Trent is all about the listening experience, sitting back and playing the album from beginning to end with art in your hand... where's my damn cassette version, Trent?

He cares so much about audio quality, but releases music exclusively through iTunes of all places. You know, iTunes' magnificent lossy audio quality.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It's interesting that "Hello, Everything is not OK" from the Apple Music release isn't included in this one.

I also wonder if some of the new Deviations tracks will have vocals. It mentions it's an instrumental album, but all tracks specify if they are instrumentals.

Missing Places
    One Way To Get There
    Taken
    Not What it Seems Like (Instrumental)
    White Mask
    Was it Worth It? (Instrumental)
    Feeders
    Claustrophobia Machine (Raw)
    Last Heard From

Shit, that would be amazing if some of those had vocals!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Grabbed this, The Fragile Definitive, and Not the Actual Events "physical component". Feels good man. . .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    inventory_quantity:9946

There goes that idea....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    It's interesting that "Hello, Everything is not OK" from the Apple Music release isn't included in this one.

I also wonder if some of the new Deviations tracks will have vocals. It mentions it's an instrumental album, but all tracks specify if they are instrumentals.

Missing Places
    One Way To Get There
    Taken
    Not What it Seems Like (Instrumental)
    White Mask
    Was it Worth It? (Instrumental)
    Feeders
    Claustrophobia Machine (Raw)
    Last Heard From

Shit, that would be amazing if some of those had vocals!
    I did not read it as being an instrumental album... I read it as an album that included instrumentals AND unreleased tracks. I hope that the tracks that are not labeled as instrumental have vocals... that was my impression when dropping 80 dollars for this. If they do not I think it is very misleading. A little more info or samples would be nice.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm guessing you don't have a Limited Edition copy of Ghosts on your bookshelf.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I did not read it as being an instrumental album... I read it as an album that included instrumentals AND unreleased tracks. I hope that the tracks that are not labeled as instrumental have vocals... that was my impression when dropping 80 dollars for this. If they do not I think it is very misleading. A little more info or samples would be nice.
    If you want to be sure of something's content before buying, don't pre order on day one of announcement.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    inventory_quantity:9946

There goes that idea....

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Should have been set to "666" or "69" or "0001" or something equally troll-like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    If you want to be sure of something's content before buying, don't pre order on day one of announcement.
    Well,that is a great idea... maybe if they hadn't gone out of their way to say it would not be available on any digital platform AND it is a strictly limited release I would have.

That isn't meant as a snarky response to your reply. I just feel like they are making a point of stressing its limited availability maybe in an effort to get people to do exactly what I did... buy immediately.
    Last edited by buckaroo; 12-16-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I hate this nonsense that vinyl is the only format that can sound warm and natural... just a load of BS. Vinyl sounds warm because you EQed, mixed, and mastered it that way. CDs and lossless audio can sound as good, if not better than vinyl when done right. Of course music sounds warm when you are forced to pull back bass and high frequencies due to a format's limitations and the format itself adds additional noise/distortion. If your album doesn't sound warm on CD or digitally, it's your own damn fault. All this work that is put into making sure your music works well and sounds good on vinyl, do the same for other formats. Vinyl is only a preference. Quality has nothing to do with it. If you love vinyl, good for you. That is your preference. But I'm sick and tired of this nonsense of it being some definitive format due to people's nostalgia. It took how many years for folks to realize mp3 is shit and digital music can sound great with newer uncompressed formats. The only problem with digital music is the art side. We still haven't figured out a way to deliver on the art side of thing. Vinyl looks pretty, I'll give it that.

So why not release music digitally in high quality and give people an accompanying book of art to sit down with and peruse. Combine the beauty of vinyl's large size art with the quality of HD lossless audio. And if you want to make it hard to skip songs, make the album a single audio file.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-16-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020k View Post
    Tracklist

Side 1A
    01. Somewhat Damaged (Instrumental)
    02. The Day The World Went Away (Instrumental)
    03. The Frail (Alternative Version)
    04. The Wretched (Instrumental)
    Unlikely, but I hope we get the TDTWWA album version instrumental this time, not the quiet mix.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wonder why Hello, Everything Is Not OK isn't on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Yup. There are a bunch of differences that are already apparent from the Apple Music version. 10 Miles High is included, many of the "alternate take" versions are different (Ripe With Decay is an alternate on Apple Music, but not on the vinyl. The Frail is an alternate on the vinyl, but not on Apple Music). So... good luck determining your "definitive" version. Pretty excited regardless. Given the placement on the album, maybe Feeders is an alternate title for Hello, Everything is Not OK?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Frail is an alternative version on the one I have downloaded

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Preordered. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like people on Facebook are not having it with the vinyl only crap. Thank god, I hope Trent sees the response and the many people he is leaving out in the wind.

I love how the amazing, long talked about, forthcoming Fragile boxset turned into crappy format exclusive nonsense for a niche market.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-16-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Looks like people on Facebook are not having it with the vinyl only crap. Thank god, I hope Trent sees the response and the many people he is leaving out in the wind.

I love how the amazing, long talked about, forthcoming Fragile boxset turned into crappy format exclusive nonsense for a niche market.
    Same response to it being Apple Music/Streaming only for a few releases and nothing happened.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't really see it as a "niche market" the digital downloads are going with it anyway... And from it you can even burn a CD if you want to listen to it...
    I understand it can be frustrating to pay 80$ for digital files but maybe Trent considers that the price of his work (+art)... Cargo in the blood was expensive for "a book", but that's the price to pay for the artist...

the he only problem is indeed the double language with vinyl / Apple Music lossy stuff...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    If someone is kind enough to share their lossless download with me, I'll gladly pay you $20 to help cover some of your vinyl costs. Money that could have gone to Trent, but that is on him. $80 for a digital format and a vinyl I don't need is insane.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If someone is kind enough to share their lossless download with me, I'll gladly pay you $20 to help cover some of your vinyl costs. Money that could have gone to Trent, but that is on him. $80 for a digital format and a vinyl I don't need is insane.
    It's just that he doesn't consider that this thing could exist separately. You have to have the big artwork, the turntable etc... That's a way of seeing your art. I can clearly understand it is frustrating but he is the artist here.

and I'm sure it won't be long before flowing in the internets

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    from what I'm reading, this won't be on itunes? vinyl only?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    You know, if you didn't have to slip in shit like "Money that could have gone to Trent, but that is on him." I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one willing to help you and not take a cent. Because NIN fans, at least on ETS, tend to try to help each other more often than not.
    But you said it yourself, you "don't need" it. So I'm going to pass on PMing you next week. I'm still sure someone will help you, looking past your bitching about how Trent is missing out on $20 from you because you're mad at how he wants to release it. That's just going to turn people off from helping you.
    Kinda like when people reply to someone asking for help getting something that was never released commercially with "google it". Attitude goes a long way when asking for download links.

Like I said, don't worry, I'm sure someone will send you a PM anyway.

Edited out a bunch of stuff because I kinda got into rant mode when all I meant to quote you and say was "dude, chill a bit with the attitude, and don't go offering money to people to send you files illegally out in the open on ETS.
    Last edited by sick among the pure; 12-16-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Going to go back to the plasma donation center and use blood money to buy this. Hopefully it doesn't sell out by Tuesday.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    from what I'm reading, this won't be on itunes? vinyl only?
    Vinyl+digital download is the only release, yes. No streaming services, iTunes, other digital sources, this is it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    I don't really see it as a "niche market" the digital downloads are going with it anyway... And from it you can even burn a CD if you want to listen to it...
    I understand it can be frustrating to pay 80$ for digital files but maybe Trent considers that the price of his work (+art)... Cargo in the blood was expensive for "a book", but that's the price to pay for the artist...

the he only problem is indeed the double language with vinyl / Apple Music lossy stuff...
    We're talking about a man who famously gave digital albums away for free (although most fans still bought physical copies), and then kept concert ticket prices absurdly reasonable for the Wave Goodbye club shows, i.e., arguably the hottest NIN ticket in history. I have a hard time believing that this newly announced pricing structure (e.g., $80 for 37 tracks, vinyl purchase required) reflects an honest value judgment, or even greed. More of an eccentric move the motives for which are beyond comprehension.