Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Yeah it is, it counter balances the bottom part which is a soft blur
    Yeah I knew the red part was a regular blurred photo, I just never realized the top part was pixelated.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Look up the high res version of the album's cover that was posted on Flickr a few years back, it's way more obvious. Or grab your vinyl if you bought one back then

Your comment on PNG is interesting. Keep in mind that in 99, even though we were familiar with pixelation and loading times, it hadn't become so deeply associated with bad imagery /lousy connection. Somehow I think we make this instant association now because that's how we learned to interpret it, but back then it was still an interesting digital alteration. HTDA used that in reverse, emulating old TV glitches to a great effect, in a time where such graphical errors are becoming fancy again, since we don't really encounter those anymore.
    Last edited by Khrz; 12-21-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Yeah it is, it counter balances the bottom part which is a soft blur

I'm still amazed at how clever is that cover art. It defines the album perfectly. Soft analog blur overlapping a hard digital/pixelated image, the latter one being cold rocks and water opposed to the warmth of flowers. The image is as abstract as the TDS one, but somehow it couldn't be more different, it evokes a complete departure in tone.

In that sense yeah, the deviations cover is kind of an easy way out, simply using in full an image we only glimpsed on the original instead of reinterpreting it. But keeping in mind the referent cover, I'm still satisfied that they went with that.

I obsess way too much over good cover art...
    The pre-Deviations Apple Music instrumentals/alts uses the full, proper waterfall image without the digital zooming. Look it up. S'a beaut.

I think the back cover, which was originally supposed to be the front, is better suited to the record: a literally fragile object marred by things out of its control (photo development errors).

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The pre-Deviations Apple Music instrumentals/alts uses the full, proper waterfall image without the digital zooming. Look it up. S'a beaut.

I think the back cover, which was originally supposed to be the front, is better suited to the record: a literally fragile object marred by things out of its control (photo development errors).
    I agree, the photo is beautiful, but it's more fitting to an Andy Stott album than a Nine Inch Nails one, in my opinion. As I wrote that I was thinking that Ghosts begged to differ, but in fact the cover is equally abstract, even though it uses an actual photograph.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I wonder if the cover image on the store is just a placeholder and the physical package will use something different. Also wonder how much will be included in that package. A big art book (soft cover, presumably)? Who knows.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Digitsl comes out 12/22 at 12:01 AM pacific, right? I'm debating staying up vs getting up early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep. Pacific time. I hope somehow people start seeing it a bit earlier though. I'm on the east coast and am not staying up until 3 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have a late night podcast/radio show that runs til 3am so as long as the site is cooperative, i'll be downloading and listening before I go to bed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I love the cover art. I think it will look really cool in your hands. I'm really excited for this. I'm central time but I'm (trying to) stay up. The first batch of unreleased fragile tracks were everything I'd hoped for. Vocals would be sweet but fuck, I'm thankful for anything from my favorite era. Now even more? I'm still kind of in shock at all of this new material all of a sudden. Feels like I'm dreaming.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Wink (Hello, Jack Daniels!)

Btw, why we were talking about - if TFD1 will be digitally available or not?!

Completely clearly stated, as with the others:

THE FRAGILE: DEVIATIONS 1
    2017 LIMITED EDITION
    4XLP + HI RES DIGITAL
    $ 80.00

We're saved!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Deviations 2 could have some of these extra tracks as vocal versions along with demos and alternate mixes of the album tracks plus even more vocal tracks leftover that just doesn't fit within the flow of the album and instrumental album. Deviations 2 will be more like a collection of tracks rather than a cohesive piece he's trying to do with this instrumental version.
    OR

Fragile Deviations 1 turns out to be exactly what it claims to be, and eight years from now we're all sitting on ETS still wondering whatever happened to Ghosts V-VIII the next chapter while a glut of new music has happened in the interim

Quote Originally Posted by Sequenteon View Post
    With these new pieces of music we're getting with the release, I've been wondering...

I'm curious if these new pieces of music were completed in 1999 or are fragments and unfinished things Trent and Atticus revisited and completed in the present, or some mix of both? The titles of many of these have a spirit more similiar to their recent efforts. I know whether they were untitled or retitled, if that is the case, doesn't mean they were incomplete in '99. It's interesting to imagine what these may be like if present day Trent completed unfinished, incomplete or fragmented pieces of music from back then.

If these are completed tracks from that time that will still be great.
    I really hope the unheard material hasn't been tinkered with in the modern day. That would be revisionist history that has sunk many an attempt elsewhere with many other musicians (I see you, Danzig..)

Especially when, for years, we've heard murmurs of this big Fragile Deluxe anniversary package that never materialized. No doubt at least some of the material that would have been on that thing is within the context of Deviations 1.

And hopefully the rest will be on Deviations 2, should that day ever present itself..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I hate to be a pessimist and I would love nothing more than to get a The Fragile deviations 2, but this seems pretty similar to the countless times Trent has been excited and mentioned something way too far in advance that never materializes. Could have been so much easier to just call it deviations without the number and if there was a 2 great. If not, nobody would have ever expected it. However, if this is just numbering like halo and seed then we're all good.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    How many people are going to skip straight to Missing Places or are going to listen to the whole thing? I'm contemplating staying up late tonight, and listening to the new songs only so I'm not up too late.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I can't listen to it until I get home from work tomorrow, so I'm going to go cover to cover when I get home and download it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I hate to be a pessimist and I would love nothing more than to get a The Fragile deviations 2, but this seems pretty similar to the countless times Trent has been excited and mentioned something way too far in advance that never materializes.
    There's certainly always that danger, but at least this is coming on a wave of pretty significant work that's already been done, and has pretty clearly been in the works for quite awhile. Definitive editions of all the major albums, repressings/remasters of soundtrack work, and a new EP on top of it. I'd say that at the moment, at least, he's pretty well riding this wave, and I think it makes sense to be cautiously optimistic that we'll see a "Deviations 2" (whether for The Fragile or for some other album).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xvostya View Post
    Btw, why we were talking about - if TFD1 will be digitally available or not?!

Completely clearly stated, as with the others:

THE FRAGILE: DEVIATIONS 1
    2017 LIMITED EDITION
    4XLP + HI RES DIGITAL
    $ 80.00

We're saved!
    I think most people are annoyed that they can't buy it without the hefty cost of a vinyl included. I'm personally not gonna buy it because I have a crappy job and I can't justify spending £70 on pretty much anything, let alone a vinyl that I'll never be able to use. Not gonna stop me from downloading it someway however

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    How many people are going to skip straight to Missing Places or are going to listen to the whole thing? I'm contemplating staying up late tonight, and listening to the new songs only so I'm not up too late.
    I'm going straight to the new tracks, we've had a preview of the other stuff from Apple Music, I'll go through them last to see what's changed since then. Plus I can't hear the whole thing on my break at work, so I'll have limited time and no will to wait for anything!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I want to sit through it all, hard as it will be. The build up to each new one will be incredible.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    The whole thing

I can listen to the new stuff exclusively once I've digested it as one piece. But first I want to hear it sequentially to discern what is familiar and what is new, and how the overall experience differs from nearly 20 years of The Fragile I know. I think that's part of the journey TR is talking about in the mission statement..

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    March pigs.... it's almost time.

I will gladly pay someone for a copy of the Deviations I digital files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post

Seconded. Going to order the vinyl next week but need to hear these tonight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure a torrent will hit but I'm betting it'll be so late, tomorrow morning or afternoon will be the best option for those of us who can't afford this or chose not to order.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post

Trent said for $80, he'll hook you up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    This is my favorite post in this thread, honestly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really itching to hear Claustrophobia Machine (Raw). Really abrasive title.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Can he (please) push my order through a little faster, because customer service never got back to me.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJ View Post
    This is my favorite post in this thread, honestly.
    lol nah, this one VVVVVV

Quote Originally Posted by Scramasax View Post
    So I looked at The Fragile: Deviations 1 and thought 'Wow, that's so very expensive.' Then I checked out the shipping cost and thought, 'Holy shit, I'd be spending almost £100 on just one album!' Then I bought it.
    I'm still laughing about this shit..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So is the digital stuff out midnight tonight or midnight tomarrow???? Dying to listen to this

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Woods View Post
    So is the digital stuff out midnight tonight or midnight tomarrow???? Dying to listen to this
    Tonight! Eye cunt weight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Have to wait until tomorrow night to listen to it, but it will be the whole thing beginning to end. Can't wait.