Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Rereleases December 2016 (Broken, TDS, TF)

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Does playback software notice these blanks and drop them out of the buffer, like they now treat MP3s (if the software supports gapless playback)? Or are these blanks actually occurring on playback and they're just so fast nobody notices?
    The latter. I believe this is an "if you can't beat them, (dis-)join them" effort to counteract imperfect implementation of gapless playback. By having the tracks intentionally drop to silence, but so briefly you don't notice, there is no 'click' when seamlessly-segued tracks are interrupted by playback software (which is actually far more distracting).
    Last edited by botley; 08-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I have to say, I'm glad I have the original TDS vinyl. I hadn't heard the DE till last night. One of the defining features of the music was always the quiet/loud/(occasionally really loud) dynamic. You don't need software to see it; you can hear it and feel it. It's gone on the DE. As a result of how loud it is, and the nature of loudness maximizing, you can definitely hear more details that may have been buried before, but this is fundamentally a remix of TDS, if you're chopping about 3 dB (this is an estimate) per song off the loudest parts. The chorus on a song like Heresy now hits a lot less harder and has a totally different emotional impact if the verse preceding it is already at the loud level, and there isn't much headroom left. On a couple of songs, the choruses actually sound quieter due to the bass being minimized to prevent distortion because it's so overdone. I don't get how this is "definitive." Why master it like it's a Mastered for iTunes/CD kind of reissue if it's for vinyl? Even the truly terrible PHM CD remaster had a lot of the original dynamics on vinyl. Kind of a bummer. I'm assuming Broken is the same? Again – you can hear more details, in a sense, because that's the nature of what the maximizers do when they're pushed this hard, but they were always there; you just had to pay attention.

It's less noticeable on The Fragile because those songs were already limited a lot on CD compared to the original vinyl and it's only like another dB louder on a lot of songs, but I really ... don't get it at all.

I love the music, which is why I'm making this criticism. If it's a masterpiece, don't fuck with it this much.

End rant.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 08-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So anyone know what the secrets included with the Broken vinyl is???

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffTHF View Post
    So anyone know what the secrets included with the Broken vinyl is???
    If we told you, it wouldn't be a secret

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    If we told you, it wouldn't be a secret
    I haven't ordered it yet so i don't mind knowing :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Secrets included just means the 7" disc.

Physical and Suck were "secret tracks". Time has made us forget about that term. There does seem to be another goodie in there, but it's nothing mind boggling. There's pictures on Reddit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesitation_Marks View Post

Physical and Suck were "secret tracks". Time has made us forget about that term. There does seem to be another goodie in there, but it's nothing mind boggling. There's pictures on Reddit.
    Saw the reddit post... The "secret" included seems to be quite a nice addition to the package... Waiting to see if this is going to be sold on Amazon before i put an order for it through the nin store.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The package for Broken looks nice, it's tempting to order it from NIN.com incase the retail version doesn't have those extras. Does TDS have anything similar?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesitation_Marks View Post

"Secrets included" refers to the other thing that was shown in the reddit post, not the 7''. The 7'' is clearly shown in the pictures and in the preorder listing, that's not a secret.

I had a feeling it would be what it ended up being. Wasn't too far off the mark, I suppose. Excited for mine to come in soon.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    As always, thanks very much Jon, you da man. I either missed or erased the braincell responsible for storing the memory of your reply.

Does playback software notice these blanks and drop them out of the buffer, like they now treat MP3s (if the software supports gapless playback)? Or are these blanks actually occurring on playback and they're just so fast nobody notices? I certainly didn't until I went to make combo-files (Frail/Wretched, etc.).
    @botley hit it on the head.

I haven't noticed any clicks, pops, etc., when surfing through/between tracks on the Definitive Editions. Compare that to something like "The Becoming (Still)" where you get a pop every single time you navigate to the track. iTunes, even with all of it's problems, has more or less perfected gapless playback at this point, so perhaps YMMV.
    Last edited by Jon; 08-13-2017 at 01:19 AM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That booklet that comes with the record is really cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    one person in europe had to pay over £200 in taxes because their items were shipped via DHL
    Bugger. How likely is this? I know nothing about ordering large items from the US. Naturally, it's my only option anyway as everything is sold out in UK store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magval View Post
    Bugger. How likely is this? I know nothing about ordering large items from the US. Naturally, it's my only option anyway as everything is sold out in UK store.
    I'm in same situation as you. I'm still after Broken and Downward Spiral. According to DHLs website they charge a £11 clearance fee plus VAT so it would work out to just over £20 all together I think. I wish we knew if/when these are appearing in stores

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    There's a little stereo anomaly in the synth at the very beginning – it's always been there, and I thought it was intentional (these are the things you notice when you listen to an album probably close to 500 times in your life, or just a couple of times on headphones if you're obsessed with sound). The sound drops out of one channel. Apparently it was always a mistake, as Trent fixed it on this reissue.
    Is this issue present on the 2004 deluxe edition? Or only the original 94 version?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Is this issue present on the 2004 deluxe edition? Or only the original 94 version?
    Deluxe/Dualdisc remaster has it, too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Deluxe also had some other minor issues that stem from the original releases... like in "A Violent Fluid" for instance, you can hear a tiny soundbit from the ending of "All The Pigs..." at the beginning.
    It's baffling to me how stuff like that gets through unnoticed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    It's been on every issue of the album until the DE; I always assumed it was a little flaw/accident that Trent liked. Since it was all dumped to tape, maybe it was a tape error? Not sure. Just surprised that he corrected it, since it was always an interesting imperfection.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Deluxe also had some other minor issues that stem from the original releases... like in "A Violent Fluid" for instance, you can hear a tiny soundbit from the ending of "All The Pigs..." at the beginning.
    It's baffling to me how stuff like that gets through unnoticed.
    The Precursor mix also has an error – sounds like the end of "Closer to God"? I wonder if he lost the original master of the Coil mix and had to splice it from the CTG master.

I get that the remix albums were just that, and that they always had a cheap reputation due to the cash-in nature of most of them within the industry. But the NIN remix albums have so much talent on them (Coil, Foetus, Aphex Twin [though not a remix, per se] ... and the TPDV single has Luke Vibert and Jack Dangers) that I'm a bit bummed that none of them will be reissued on vinyl. Even though the originals aren't always insanely expensive, they're over 20 years old now. And it would be fantastic to get a 2xLP, long overdue issue of Further Down the Spiral. I'd take either v1 or v2 (v2 has a bit more variety though).

I'm assuming that since With Teeth was the only other instrumental album put up on Apple Music, and the only one that's been mastered, that that'll be the next Deviations, but I'd really love to have some of the remix albums reissued as well. Some of them are just as vital as the albums themselves. Hear me, @teitan?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I do wonder if we'll end up seeing reissues of the other things in the discography - the remix albums like you mentioned, Still, And All That Could Have Been maybe? The only other stuff would be the singles, but I don't get the sense that Trent would want to reissue those. Maybe releasing the second disc of the TDS Deluxe Edition as its own album on vinyl, augmenting the tracklist to pull in some missing stuff like March of the Fuckheads and Reptilian? Now that I look at that disc's tracklist, it's a weird grab-bag type thing, especially having FDTS tracks on it. Plus, what would the Halo be? A new one, or augmenting 8? (8RM?) Whatever.

I think the reissue campaign has a lot of potential, but we need to see if they can even do the 2000s albums right first.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    It strikes me as odd that the booklet would be the Broken DE's secret as the Fragile DE comes with one too, and I can only assume TDS DE will as well.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    It strikes me as odd that the booklet would be the Broken DE's secret as the Fragile DE comes with one too, and I can only assume TDS DE will as well.
    About Broken:
    Spoiler: It could specifically be the two memos at the end of the booklet, because The Fragile didn't have anything like that in its booklet. It could also be the etching on Side B, which says "THIS ISN'T MEANT TO LAST THIS IS FOR RIGHT NOW" and other things I think. I'm just going off of the nin subreddit posts until I get mine, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtuck90 View Post
    I'm in same situation as you. I'm still after Broken and Downward Spiral. According to DHLs website they charge a £11 clearance fee plus VAT so it would work out to just over £20 all together I think. I wish we knew if/when these are appearing in stores
    Does anyone know if the U.K. Store will ever got restock? Are we stuck with US until everything will get soldout there too?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I do wonder if we'll end up seeing reissues of the other things in the discography - the remix albums like you mentioned, Still, And All That Could Have Been maybe? I think the reissue campaign has a lot of potential, but we need to see if they can even do the 2000s albums right first.
    Still would be great too. I love the One Hour Photo tracks and AATCHB should have been on The Fragile (but I'm assuming it was even close to finished) or at least given a better release than being tucked away on a fan-only release. Still always felt like the perfect companion to TF (Things Falling Apart has some really good mixes on it and "Metal" but I don't love it for whatever reason?)

The TDS deluxe disc isn't a bad summary of the remix albums of that era but CTG is kind of amazing as far as remix albums go. I really miss NIN's remix of Mr. Self Destruct and Coil's Eraser mixes. FTDS v1 is such a monochromatic document in its own right that I'd love to have the whole thing. But it's got a couple of redundant mixes vs. CTG. (And yeah, Reptilian is a favorite of mine too.)

I sort of want to get the Quake soundtrack. I never realized it was contributed to by Peter Christopherson.

Always seemed like Trent had a great ear for poppier stuff (re: the AATCHB track itself) but was always hesitant to really go for it. It's more anthemic than many of the tracks that wound up on TF – and I guess it doesn't fit the story, either. But, song wise, I think it's one of his best. There were a lot of weird "purity" issues in various scenes before the Internet – weird incoherent concerns about "selling out" that occasionally seemed to translate for Trent into not making tracks that were "obvious singles." At least in this case.

And the poor guy still has no love for "The Perfect Drug." ;(

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Wait so is there any sign of what comes with the Downward Spiral reissue? An essay or something...

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Does anyone know if the U.K. Store will ever got restock? Are we stuck with US until everything will get soldout there too?
    I ordered everything from de US nin.com store and the package I received till now all came from european distributors. So for me (till now) no worries about border fees. Finger cross, it'll happen with the rest of my orders.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    My copy of The Fragile has arrived. It looks beautiful. I can't believe I ever sold my first copy, but the universe has been righted, and my baby is back in my arms.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    I ordered everything from de US nin.com store and the package I received till now all came from european distributors. So for me (till now) no worries about border fees. Finger cross, it'll happen with the rest of my orders.
    I think it could depend on when you preordered. I bought last year Deviations and it was from US store (only store available) but I received it from U.K. Now I think the store are split in two. When did you buy your stuff?
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 08-14-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Vinyl Rereleases December 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I think it could depend on when you preordered. I bought last year Deviations and it was from US store (only store available) but I received it from U.K. Now I think the store are split in two. When did you buy your stuff?
    As I said earlier in this or another topic, I cancelled my complete order from dec 2016 (around $500), got a complete refund and did a new order June 2017 on NIN.com.
    Received TF DEV & Prick colored from EU distributors (German and Dutch)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    My copy of Broken arrived today. Aside from the shipping and manufactured related issues, it's clear that thought was put into the package itself.

The etching on Side B appears to be entirely done by hand, and it's done in a loose spiral. The first half of it seems to be lyrics (I didn't examine it too closely because I wanted to play it), but it descends into nonsense for a bit before becoming words again towards the center. It looks really cool. The printed sleeves also have the opening on the side, not the top, which is odd. Separate paper and printed sleeves, records ship in the paper sleeves.

Other interesting wrinkles: My hype sticker on the front does not have the "halo thirty" printing error. Just says halo five. Also, it's not printed on the 7'', but the 7'' is in fact 45 RPM. I guess you would assume that since it's a 7'', but it's usually printed on the front just to clarify.
    Last edited by gorast; 08-14-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Someone please post pics of the "secrets", booklets, goodies etc that are included with all these rereleases that are arriving. FOr those of us who no interest in buying vinyl but want to be in the know with what is going on in the NIN world right now. Thanks!