Thread: Vinyl Rereleases December 2016

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    cheap cigarettes and soda
    I have a craving for these two things now and I don't understand why

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw on Facebook that people have received NTAE vinyls.

Spoiler: There's apparently reversed audio on the B-side and the black dust is back.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post

Spoiler: There's apparently reversed audio on the B-side and the black dust is back.
    On the vinyl? Isn't that a no no?

Mentioned
    237 Post(s)

Link?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Link?
    There's two posts in this group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/NINOurNothingNIN/?fref=nf

Spoiler: Sounds like reptile on the video there.
    Last edited by slammy79; 08-11-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    So now we can finally hear the satanic messages lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is it gatefold? (NTAE vinyl)

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Now someone needs to do needledrops of the backward TDS tracks and play them together with their associated tracks in the NTAE lyric sheet.

Spoiler: While also playing selections from 10,000 Days, Dark Side of The Moon and Wizard of Oz together obviously

Mentioned
    298 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    On the vinyl? Isn't that a no no?
    that IS a no-no...but it's also kind of interesting? i'm intrigued. my eyes are buggin' out right now. my wife walked in the room and thought i was having an aneurysm.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Had a thought about the Broken reissue and the "secrets included." Spoilers just in case I'm on the right track:

Spoiler: https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Na...release/128574 The European version of Broken on vinyl came with a NIN slipmat. What if the secret is that the reissue also comes with a slipmat? That's a little more pedestrian than a DVD-R of The Broken Movie or whatever, but I think it'd be a cool little nod to the original vinyl issue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'd never really listened to the TDS DE remaster (since I didn't buy it, as I own an original UK copy) – but I just noticed a weird flaw, possibly due to how loud the remaster is, on "March of the Pigs" ... before the first "all the pigs" chorus, there's a huge jump in volume that isn't on the original, probably from the limiter jumping up after pressing down the sound so much during the loud part. (If I play the original very loudly, I don't hear the same effect.) I'm pretty surprised that got past our infamously perfectionist dude, especially since they finally fixed the "Heresy" intro (though I always thought that was intentional.)

We still don't know if the new vinyl keeps the fade-outs, eh? I'm assuming they are.

Months later, I still kinda want to buy the Broken remaster since I always wanted to own that on vinyl but I can't really rage out as much in my middle age so I still don't know if it's worth it. Might save the money for Add Violence since it's so good.

Can't wait to get my copy of The Fragile on vinyl again. I will finally have a physical copy of that photo of Dr. Dre and Trent in the studio, too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    First Discogs Broken sale arrived.
    Spoiler: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/10693965

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Has anyone noticed yet that the sticker on every definitive edition says halo thirty with the original halo number underneath.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    We still don't know if the new vinyl keeps the fade-outs, eh? I'm assuming they are.
    The 2017 DE download seems to indicate this (none of the side split segues are changed like The Fragile; TDS just plays like it always has), but I really hope they don't do it that way. Nothing frustrates me more than the original/Back to Black pressings just putting shite fades on the tracks as they are, and including the Reptile intro at the end of Eraser. So dumb.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'm hoping it's only in the form of the finger prints on the cover. That would destroy your needle, otherwise.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    IS there a different help email from sandbag? I sent them one to the uk one, I was wondering if there is a US address.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I'm pretty surprised that got past our infamously perfectionist dude, especially since they finally fixed the "Heresy" intro (though I always thought that was intentional.)
    What are you talking about? What's wrong with the intro to Heresy?

Quote Originally Posted by NotinCnStopMeNow View Post
    Has anyone noticed yet that the sticker on every definitive edition says halo thirty with the original halo number underneath.
    I'm starting to think the stickers were creating using a mail merge which simply replaces the name of the album, the halo number, the barcode #, and the original release date and that "Halo Thirty" was accidentally left on the file from the very first one released (Deviations 1).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotinCnStopMeNow View Post
    I'm still pretty sure that The Fragile didn't have that. I guess we'll see for sure as more come in, though. It's pretty weird.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    There's an audible dropout, right at the beginning of the song.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Had to do some time traveling:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Has anyone mentioned that the panning glitch at the beginning of Heresy's finally been fixed in this Definitive Version? Because it has, and I noticed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I'm still pretty sure that The Fragile didn't have that. I guess we'll see for sure as more come in, though. It's pretty weird.
    Yeah, you're right. At least it's not on the one that Trent posted to his Instagram.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    @seasonsinthesky I saw your post on reddit. I don't have an account over there, but I dug up your original question. "Someone" answered you (you had me tagged in the original post).

Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    This is the transition from The Frail to The Wretched, zoomed in wayfar:

See where the red cursor is? A few wee frames of 0 bytes.

I can't hear it skip when the files playback, though, even together like this. Still, the transitions are broken. Is this a sector boundary issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Actually, based on how much you're zoomed in, my guess is that "blank space" is where they fixed a sector boundary issue. Tiny little padding at the end.
    While the blank spaces may not necessarily represent places where they fixed sector boundary errors, it's essentially the same concept as padding sector boundary errors (several frames of 0 bytes added to the end).

What I'm getting at is, the "broken" transitions appear to be intentional (padding) rather than an oversight. I'm not trying to imply that these are sector-boundary aligned, etc. I can see how that is a little confusing in my original post.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There's a little stereo anomaly in the synth at the very beginning – it's always been there, and I thought it was intentional (these are the things you notice when you listen to an album probably close to 500 times in your life, or just a couple of times on headphones if you're obsessed with sound). The sound drops out of one channel. Apparently it was always a mistake, as Trent fixed it on this reissue.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    @seasonsinthesky I saw your post on reddit. I don't have an account over there, but I dug up your original question. "Someone" answered you (you had me tagged in the original post).

While the blank spaces may not necessarily represent places where they fixed sector boundary errors, it's essentially the same concept as padding sector boundary errors (several frames of 0 bytes added to the end).

What I'm getting at is, the "broken" transitions appear to be intentional (padding) rather than an oversight. I'm not trying to imply that these are sector-boundary aligned, etc. I can see how that is a little confusing in my original post.
    As always, thanks very much Jon, you da man. I either missed or erased the braincell responsible for storing the memory of your reply.

Does playback software notice these blanks and drop them out of the buffer, like they now treat MP3s (if the software supports gapless playback)? Or are these blanks actually occurring on playback and they're just so fast nobody notices? I certainly didn't until I went to make combo-files (Frail/Wretched, etc.).

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Does playback software notice these blanks and drop them out of the buffer, like they now treat MP3s (if the software supports gapless playback)? Or are these blanks actually occurring on playback and they're just so fast nobody notices?
    The latter. I believe this is an "if you can't beat them, (dis-)join them" effort to counteract imperfect implementation of gapless playback. By having the tracks intentionally drop to silence, but so briefly you don't notice, there is no 'click' when seamlessly-segued tracks are interrupted by playback software (which is actually far more distracting).
    Last edited by botley; 08-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have to say, I'm glad I have the original TDS vinyl. I hadn't heard the DE till last night. One of the defining features of the music was always the quiet/loud/(occasionally really loud) dynamic. You don't need software to see it; you can hear it and feel it. It's gone on the DE. As a result of how loud it is, and the nature of loudness maximizing, you can definitely hear more details that may have been buried before, but this is fundamentally a remix of TDS, if you're chopping about 3 dB (this is an estimate) per song off the loudest parts. The chorus on a song like Heresy now hits a lot less harder and has a totally different emotional impact if the verse preceding it is already at the loud level, and there isn't much headroom left. On a couple of songs, the choruses actually sound quieter due to the bass being minimized to prevent distortion because it's so overdone. I don't get how this is "definitive." Why master it like it's a Mastered for iTunes/CD kind of reissue if it's for vinyl? Even the truly terrible PHM CD remaster had a lot of the original dynamics on vinyl. Kind of a bummer. I'm assuming Broken is the same? Again – you can hear more details, in a sense, because that's the nature of what the maximizers do when they're pushed this hard, but they were always there; you just had to pay attention.

It's less noticeable on The Fragile because those songs were already limited a lot on CD compared to the original vinyl and it's only like another dB louder on a lot of songs, but I really ... don't get it at all.

I love the music, which is why I'm making this criticism. If it's a masterpiece, don't fuck with it this much.

End rant.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 08-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So anyone know what the secrets included with the Broken vinyl is???

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffTHF View Post
    So anyone know what the secrets included with the Broken vinyl is???
    If we told you, it wouldn't be a secret

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    If we told you, it wouldn't be a secret
    I haven't ordered it yet so i don't mind knowing :P