Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Rereleases December 2016 (Broken, TDS, TF)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Really glad to see that The Fragile was "sold out" for less than a day. Hopefully that means they'll keep it in stock for a while, and it'll only go through short periods of being out of stock (along with the others of course).

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    no it isn't. For sale again!

FUCKlNG YOINK

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Did those who bought Lost Highway and/or NBK on vinyl also get the remastered files or will in foreseeable future?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    I'm no audio engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I'm not an audio engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    If everything is being made so wrong, then go be a world class audio engineer and save us all, FFS.
    Mooooom? I WANT TO BE A AUDIO ENGINEER.

WORLD CLASS!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    As nice as it is to hear and have the version of Appendage that's on Deviations, I wished Trent released the version that was on cassette digitally. I can't find a rip of it that I find tolerable. Wished he included it as a bonus on the HiRes

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    As nice as it is to hear and have the version of Appendage that's on Deviations, I wished Trent released the version that was on cassette digitally. I can't find a rip of it that I find tolerable. Wished he included it as a bonus on the HiRes
    I hope he releases the multitracks for Please so I can recreate the "never be enough"'s in Appendage myself. Hell, I'll recreate all of it myself. I'm gonna go full Charlie Clouser on this sucka.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    How about this one?
    http://nindestruct.com/music/nine%20...Appendage.flac

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    If the records are being cut from these files, why are there transitions between "The Becoming"/"I Do Not Want This" and "Eraser"/"Reptile"? This isn't an issue for the way The Fragile is sequenced, but the whole reason the current pressings of TDS are absolute trash is because, besides being unauthorized by TR, they fuck up these transitions at the ends/starts of the sides. TB fades out while the intro of IDNWT is audible, IDNWTS starts hard like the CD indexing, "Eraser" has the "Reptile" intro at its end and slowly fades it out, and "Reptile" starts hard with no intro. Shit sounds wrong. So the new vinyl pressings are just gonna be the same?

Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I hope he releases the multitracks for Please so I can recreate the "never be enough"'s in Appendage myself. Hell, I'll recreate all of it myself. I'm gonna go full Charlie Clouser on this sucka.
    "+appendage" has lines that aren't in "Please," though. "I'm going down fast!" And the ones that are in it are different recordings. Doomed!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I sent Witte a Nakamichi Dragon transfer in FLAC some years ago. He might still have it. If not then I will find my FLAC copy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    Yours is pretty good, better than what I had. The other two I had, one was incredible thin and sounded bad during the loud parts, and the other I got from What.cd, which sounded way too muddy even for a cassette rip.

Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    I sent Witte a Nakamichi Dragon transfer in FLAC some years ago. He might still have it. If not then I will find my FLAC copy.
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That version of Lost Highway they have on the nin.com site, which pressing is that? The Music on Vinyl release? Or a different one? Not familiar with the variant pressings of Lost Highway and knowing which is the better version.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    That version of Lost Highway they have on the nin.com site, which pressing is that? The Music on Vinyl release? Or a different one? Not familiar with the variant pressings of Lost Highway and knowing which is the better version.
    It seems to be the new, official pressing that's been listed elsewhere. As seems to happen fairly often with that company, the MOV pressing wasn't really legit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I really hope they get more of that in stock at some point (and Natural Born Killers); I knew I didn't want to spend literally ALL the moneys when all this stuff came out, and I agonized for a bit as to whether I should wait on a few of the "definitive edition" releases or the soundtracks, and somehow decided that the soundtracks would stick around longer. Alas! At the very least I hope they open up a digital-only FLAC download for those, even if this new pressing turns out to be fairly limited.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Am I the only person who thinks that The Fragile Remastered's version of Please is the most significant boost in quality of the whole thing? I know this is the vinyl version of all the tracks here, and I was never lucky enough to get familiar with the differences between the vinyl and digital/CD releases, but Please sounds entirely bumped up altogether. It was always a favorite and I always had to turn it louder than the rest and now it seems "correctly" noisy, his vocals feel boosted, there's a crispness to it that's just incredible. I know some people feel this thing is too loud, but this might end up becoming my "primary" way of listening to this album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Did those who bought Lost Highway and/or NBK on vinyl also get the remastered files or will in foreseeable future?
    I got both from the UK store as I didn't have them on vinyl. Lost Highway has been delivered to me & it was the 2016 Music On Vinyl (black vinyl) release, I presume NBK will be the same but they didn't ship that one pre-Christmas.

For both, the "Hi Res Digital" files were a single zip archive with 16bit-44kHz FLAC & WAV inside, so not hi res, & came without any artwork (embedded or otherwise).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks that The Fragile Remastered's version of Please is the most significant boost in quality of the whole thing? I know this is the vinyl version of all the tracks here, and I was never lucky enough to get familiar with the differences between the vinyl and digital/CD releases, but Please sounds entirely bumped up altogether. It was always a favorite and I always had to turn it louder than the rest and now it seems "correctly" noisy, his vocals feel boosted, there's a crispness to it that's just incredible.
    The layering really stands out on headphones for the remaster of this song. The bass made everything sound a bit muddy before, whereas here the bass stands out but blends better with the rest of the instrumentation as a whole. This allows your ears some breathing room to notice the warble of the synths, the offbeat-sounding drums, and the nuances of the guitar/synth drones.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Man, Broken remastered sounds fucking stellar.
    The segue between Track 97 and Physical never sounded better. I especially recommend listening to it on a mono device.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I especially recommend listening to it on a mono device.
    When it's expressly specified to listen to it n a stereo system! You fucking anarchists, you respect nothing!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Like a Sonos?

Besides suck came after 97

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So for those of us who ordered items like Ghosts or Lost Highway when the reissues went up, since they were already technically released, when should we expect shipping? Got digital downloads but no shipping info on them at any point so far.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well... I will physically have ALL of the Definitive Editions next year.

These all sound great, by the way. Much punchier, yet incredibly crisp and detailed.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 12-25-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Wording.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I actually really like how "Ripe" concludes "The Fragile". The way it fades out just gives it this whole unsettling vibe that I don't think is properly achieved on the "with Decay" version.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    not sure about lost highway, but i'm guessing it's the black MOV pressing.

as for files, i got a separate e-mail (from my separate order of NBK a few weeks previous) with a download link for NBK. i'm guessing if you ordered it with NTAE, you'll be having the same issue as everyone with not getting links to anything except NTAE.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I actually really like how "Ripe" concludes "The Fragile". The way it fades out just gives it this whole unsettling vibe that I don't think is properly achieved on the "with Decay" version.
    This. And I really like +Appendage not being in there. The pause between Please and Starfuckers is perfect. I wish the vocal version was included as a bonus track or sth, but whatevs. Maybe next year.
    @Pbgut , after reading your negative comments about the remastering of 10 Miles High ("it sounds like it was recorded with FM Radio"), I did a back-and-forth test between the WITT single version and the remaster. I kind of get what you're talking about. They did reduce some of the high end. But, in doing so, they made the rest of the mix clearer. And the outro is much more balanced.

Listening to TDS 2016 remaster and... I am in awe. And I've played the DVD-Audio version a thousand times. Again, while I am in the audiophile snob group, I give NIN a pass, not only because they are my favorite band of all time, but also because the ultra-loud masters actually work here. They pumped them up without distorting them, and that's something few mastering engineers can (or care) to accomplish. I hated the 2016 Deftones remasters for the same reason; the clipping and glitches in there were shameful. And it happens in modern albums aaaaaaall the fucking time; The Dillinger Escape Plan's Dissociation had some horrible crunch-crunches that worked against the record's powerful moments. Here, the brickwalling is used to aid the musicality, not suck the life out of it. The wall of sound is real. I can hear no instruments being buried due to overcompression. It is faithful to the original AND loud in a modern way. How the fuck did they make a competitive, loudness-war-compliant release that does NOT sound like shit, I will never know. If Hesitation Marks had this kind of master, that "audiophile" version wouldn't have been necessary. Trent and co. learned A LOT in three years, and I'm happy. Their film work made them even more experienced, and helped them make these classic albums sound better than ever. (Re)mastering engineers everywhere, take note. This is how you do it.

They really are the Definitive Editions. That is, until we get another remaster in 2039.

I'm happy. So. So. HAPPY! LET'S HEAR IT FOR NINE INCH NAILS! WOO! THEY'RE GOOD!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Broken DE

Firebrand download issues aside (don't get me started!), I've just had the time to listen to Broken DE MP3 download today on my Yamaha amp and my retro Tannoy DC 2000 speakers, and it's absolutely f'n awesome! Exceptional job on the remaster and it has me looking forward to the other DEs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Broken DE is epic. Look forward to getting the other DEs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I apologize but I've tried to keep up with this thread and it's news during the holiday..... do we have any idea whether the DE digital files will be for sale w/o vinyl yet? I'm pretty torn about this, yeah I could dive into getting a turntable set-up but practically this is not a purchase I can make at this time. I especially can't justify purchasing vinyl just to legally get the downloads. Guess patience is the name of the game at the moment.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowsminion View Post
    I apologize but I've tried to keep up with this thread and it's news during the holiday..... do we have any idea whether the DE digital files will be for sale w/o vinyl yet? I'm pretty torn about this, yeah I could dive into getting a turntable set-up but practically this is not a purchase I can make at this time. I especially can't justify purchasing vinyl just to legally get the downloads. Guess patience is the name of the game at the moment.
    There hasn't been any indication that the digital files will be sold separately at any point. I'm not sure it's big on Trent's list, either, considering his big vinyl manifesto at the top of the store.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I just sat and listened to TDS Definitive from start to finish, with my best pair of cans at full volume.

And I am rendered utterly speechless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does "Sanctified" on the PHM hi res download you get with the vinyl end like the 2010 vinyl version or is it just the CD master?