Page 73 of 107 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 3191

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kraw View Post
    Your mom made a "lazy/cheap decision" when she didn't require your dad to use a condom.
    Oh, she did, but he was a NIN fan, so it was broken.

And please, just in case you were too busy to do the cover art for the next full album, tell Trent that my skills are available:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Trent told you to write that didn't he?
    One can only hope. XD
    Last edited by Kooler Than Jesus; 01-12-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    can't be a 100% sure about it, but something just arrived in my parcel box which i either didn't order consciously or wasn't aware of being on its way at all...in 4 hours i know what it is...ahh "Vorfreude"! is even better than the real thing

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    can't be a 100% sure about it, but something just arrived in my parcel box which i either didn't order consciously or wasn't aware of being on its way at all...in 4 hours i know what it is...ahh "Vorfreude"! is even better than the real thing
    Does your order prints shipped on nin.com.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone think that one of these tracks was originally titled dive and slam?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Does your order prints shipped on nin.com.
    good point! and it doesn't

false alarm. stupid alarmism. sorry guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Anyone think that one of these tracks was originally titled dive and slam?
    Branches/Bones was Dive/Slam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not the Actual Events was Not True.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So @Ryan , I searched myself, looks like you removed this cover without explanations : http://www.nin.wiki/File:Ntae_alt_3.jpg what happened ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll bite on that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I could see branches/bones being the same but the final track, BB being dive/slam. Bands like to do that, reoccurring or similar titles balancing out the album.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I could see branches/bones being the same but the final track, BB being dive/slam. Bands like to do that, reoccurring or similar titles balancing out the album.
    First, where's "Dive/Slam" coming from? Second, I feel like making "Branches" the last track and "Burning Bright" the opener would make this EP sound like shit. Seriously. That sequencing would wreck the project. Both of those were born to be what they are--opener and closer. The album that "Burning Bright" opens would have to be HUGE. Like broader and more ambitious than The Fragile​.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^^^^I meant branches/bones still opener but the final track would be dive/slam, really BB just renamed. Worded weird, sorry. You must have not been around a few months ago during the dive/slam news. It was registered as a nin song a few months ago. Not sure if a hoax or tr changed the plan.

Edit-didnt quote properly.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    @kraw I actually really would love if you could maybe comment just a little bit on the process behind NTAE's artwork, what conversations took place about going back to Still-era art, what the meaning behind it was, etc. I personally like all of it (and think the air of mystery and confusion around the art for a NIN release is really wonderful to have back again) but it'd be great to hear a bit about it from the person who actually made it. Was there a motive behind having so many different covers, did Trent specifically request so many different variants, did you come to him with them and pitch it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    @kraw I actually really would love if you could maybe comment just a little bit on the process behind NTAE's artwork, what conversations took place about going back to Still-era art, what the meaning behind it was, etc. I personally like all of it (and think the air of mystery and confusion around the art for a NIN release is really wonderful to have back again) but it'd be great to hear a bit about it from the person who actually made it. Was there a motive behind having so many different covers, did Trent specifically request so many different variants, did you come to him with them and pitch it?
    Fuck I was thinking the same thing. But we need to see the physical package....I think all will be revealed.
    Last edited by nick999; 01-12-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Sometimes I'm not sure if I liked it better when there was more mystique or when there was more open conversation about how the sausage is made.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    At the moment, I'm loving the mystique. It's really engaging and has me coming back to the music for the pleasure of the songs as well as the possibility of noticing something new in the lyrics. This has already been a fun era.

Hard not to think that the forthcoming major releases in 2017 will relate, directly or not, to Not The Actual Events. Maybe that's the HTDA fan in me talking (i.e. An omen EP), but with some pretty big questions still lingering (Why re-use the Still artwork? What's the nature of the physical component? Will there be more than one live show?), it feels like a bigger story/larger context for this EP will be unfolding over the year... and that's exciting to think about!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I can't help but think Twin Peaks is related to all this, an episode using the songs from the EP or something

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Sometimes I'm not sure if I liked it better when there was more mystique or when there was more open conversation about how the sausage is made.
    Somewhere in the middle. I'm cool with learning HOW the sausage is made, just don't care or want to know the ingredients used. Or maybe that's backwards...

I'd like to know your thoughts on NTAE. Don't think I've seen them anywhere yet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    From a New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/a...tnam.html?_r=0) article:

“The tone of concern in ‘Before the Flood’ led perfectly into the pure dread, evil and melancholy that we explored in ‘Patriots Day,’ which also provided us the momentum to make the Nine Inch Nails record ugly and confrontational,” Mr. Reznor explained. “We could go deeper in each pool knowing it wasn’t forever. We could take a break from the end of the world by going into a terrorist bombing, or take a break from that by making an ‘I want to kill myself’ album.”

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    by making an ‘I want to kill myself’ album.”
    This may be just Trent kinda joking around about how dark the album was, or maybe there was an actual hints of possible suicide references.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Yeah, I'm on the "leave me make up my own mind about the rationale of it all" side of that fence. Whether it be about the packaging, the music, the lyrics, the whole timeline.
    I'm of those people who prefer a lot of mystery rather than a lot of context.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think that Nine Inch Nails recently started to do this a lot, the clearest album was probably ironically The Downward Spiral where it is much easier to know what is happening in the story.

The Fragile gave us that sense of mystery and for us to find our own meaning and this was something we saw as with more and more releases, The Slip can be intepreted in many ways what it says as an entire album, same for Hesitation Marks. And I really love this.

I loved this little moment in an interview when Trent was asked about the meaning of lyrics behind Came Back Haunted and he didn't tell since he felt like it would take away from the song.
    Last edited by HWB; 01-12-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    ^^^^I meant branches/bones still opener but the final track would be dive/slam, really BB just renamed. Worded weird, sorry. You must have not been around a few months ago during the dive/slam news. It was registered as a nin song a few months ago. Not sure if a hoax or tr changed the plan.

Edit-didnt quote properly.
    I was​ missing for that. Thanks!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I loved this little moment in an interview when Trent was asked about the meaning of lyrics behind Came Back Haunted and he didn't tell since he felt like it would take away from the song.
    Totally agree. I don't care so much about what it means to the artist, I care about how I choose to read it as text. And sometimes, that involves me making assumptions about the mindset of the artist. But still, that doesn't necessarily mean I want anything confirmed or denied.

Frankly, I was happier in the years before the internet, when I didn't know Broken was "about" a feud with a record label. Not that knowing that has damaged the album much in my mind (it's still one of the less than 30 five-star albums I've ever heard), but I still was happier with it before I knew that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I know the Broken meaning, and it doesn't take anything from me just due to the existence of the Broken movie, you can look at the EP as prequel to The Downward Spiral, perhaps it's a story about the mindest of a serial killer. It is possible to ignore the original meaning and still listen to it with your own in your head.

I think this improved The Slip a lot for me, no context, we only know how it was done, the production, but we ourselves, if we cared enough, to figure out its potetional story it had beneath. Same for Hesitation Marks which with closer look it can be seen as a straight sequel to The Downward Spiral.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've had conversations with musicians and industry people who think the internet ruined the mystery and magic of music. I can see why some would think that but Reznor has mastered using the internet to build suspense and create excitement. He baited us with one tweet and took a year to follow through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not to mention how magnificantly the album still seems mysterious with its creepy title, artworks with two of them calling back to Still, with some lyrics intentionally not appearing on the tracks, adding just more mystery to the thing.

Also, don't forget how amazingly Trent used the ARG for Year Zero to make the world that is in the album feel much bigger too.

80 Miles due north of Amarillo, 15 miles south of Oklahoma.
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    So yesterday i was riding in the car listening to Burning Bright when we drove past...
    an actual fucking field on fire, no shit. Like a wildfire trying to start and they were working hard to contain it and shit.
    There was so much smoke. We stopped and i took a bunch of pictures of it.

It was pretty fucking surreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seeing as to how secretive TR is currently being about the theme of the EP, @kraw isn't going to be the one to explain the artwork/themes/direction until it comes from TR. I'm sure after physical components and vinyl have been delivered, TR will shed some more light and then @kraw can talk about what TR was wanting as far as artwork.

Then again...all of it might just confuse us more and we'll keep talking about it!!

I actually like how TR is forcing us to be patient...probably just "good-ol-days-syndrome/pre-internet days."

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So yesterday i was riding in the car listening to Burning Bright when we drove past...
    an actual fucking field on fire, no shit. Like a wildfire trying to start and they were working hard to contain it and shit.
    There was so much smoke. We stopped and i took a bunch of pictures of it.

It was pretty fucking surreal.
    You inspired me.