Page 26 of 123 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Branches Bones is like some industrial post-punk metal. Does that genre makes sense? I don't know!! By the way, I can totally imagine a chick singing those lyrics, that tone up at the end of "beforeeeeeeeee AHHH" is so girly haha.

edit: he also sounds a bit like Bowie during the verses.
    Last edited by Volband; 12-22-2016 at 05:42 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My only thought after a couple listens.... Why only an EP!!!! Loving it....

But here's hoping more music is coming...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    the lyrics to Burning Bright might be some of the most intense shit he has ever wrote

Oh, burn motherfucker
    Carry the carcass and throw it on
    Pull up a chair and watch
    The flies come roaring out
    And will surround the entire world
    And blacken out the sky and every last one of you
    Like a plague of locusts
    Like an exit
    Like an end
    Like an end
    Like an end
    Like the end

that matches up to the hatred of stuff like Heresy, Reptile, Somewhat Damaged, The Wretched
    Last edited by Ribbitman; 12-22-2016 at 05:46 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    These songs are so fucking good, and Trent seems so very pissed-off. Is he getting divorced or something? The lyrics point towards something not being right at all, and they seem more blunt than ever. Especially Burning Bright (Field on Fire), which is just beyond insane, musically as well as lyrically. So heavy.
    I certainly hope not. I'd like to think he doesn't have to be going through great personal turmoil to unlock these sort of things. It would make me rather sad if that were the case. =/

Not that my mind hadn't gone there during "She's Gone Away".
    Last edited by GrayscaleRain; 12-22-2016 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Clarification

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Agree completely, and it is ultimately just speculation. He seems happy otherwise, which I really hope he is, but this is on a whole new level of darkness.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just to chime in on how much I'm loving this new EP. EPIC. Incredibly good. So happy to have new NIN music!!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I concur. Also, musically "She's Gone Away" is like The Fragile ripping a hole in reality and crawling back out of the abyss. There's so many familiar motifs there but I can't QUITE put my finger on them. I'm going to have to start pouring over the catalog again... Hehe.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I listened through my iPhone headphones and liked everything up until The Idea Of You. Then the EP restarted and I couldn't hear any vocals on Branches/Bones. Turns out my headphone jack pulled out a bit halfway through and I was only listening to the last two tracks through one channel without vocals. Just relistened to them and they are indeed amazing shit!

What should we consider the official album art? This embedded Still-looking one?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    which parts did you think should have been softer?
    I can't really tell where exactly - it is a general impression, standing on nothing else than my ears. It's just, I would enjoy some shade in the EP (shade that indeed exists in the Broken EP ! That's actually - according to my ears again - one of NIN stuff with the best shades, along with PHM). For example, if there's clipping, that's kinda sad...
    Neither scientific nor audiophile opinion here, just a feeling ! And I do indeed like the EP ! Just could've like it more !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You can write a song with inspiration from anywhere- Bowie and his art for example. Don't forget, Trent will have been watching a lot of film and TV footage...new Twin Peaks (isn't he rumoured to be in)?? That's inspirational enough for lyrics like that- doesn't always have to be first person.
    If he was having any issues at home, whatever, let's keep it personal anyway...enjoy the music and not read too much into it perhaps?!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayscaleRain View Post
    I concur. Also, musically "She's Gone Away" is like The Fragile ripping a hole in reality and crawling back out of the abyss. There's so many familiar motifs there but I can't QUITE put my finger on them. I'm going to have to start pouring over the catalog again... Hehe.
    Now that you say, The Drums sounds like staright out of The Fragile. But while the song might "summons" that track, Reptile with No, You Don't's condescending tone is a better comparison imo.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Trent said the EP was this length because that's the length that was needed to tell the story. After listening, I agree.

This was some next-level artistic shit. How can he keep evolving? It's amazing. This is what we wish our artists would do, and this is what Trent does (very successfully here). He hit the mark. He's found a creative confidence here.

I love the emphasis on riffs and guitars.

Track 2 is HM style done right.

Not The Actual Events EP finds Trent in an incredibly creative and creatively adventurous mode.

I am digging it, except the middle track is ok (as an aside, I interpret this track as the album's sex track). That's 4/5 pieces that really do it. I'm saying this is Nine Inch Nails' best work since With Teeth. Solid 8/10 and hoping Trent continues pushing himself. I really like the space he's in on this release. I "get" the basic concept of the record, and it's fitting for the times we live in and seems to also project into the future based on current trends. The final song is the happy ending or the answer.

This is non-fiction/science-fiction/gospel.

I fucking love his robot voice singing. It really shows how we're losing our humanity as more and more of our interactions come through typing.

The story of the EP is that we're disconnected through our virtual connection, and that we continue in this direction, deciding to give up the physical world for a virtual reality. The last song is saying like, wake the fuck up. Snap out of it. Break through your virtual walls and make real connections.

I don't get why people are saying this EP sounds dark and harsh. To me it just sounds real and in the spirit of rock.

I just feel that the NIN universe has reached a new level and I'm so happy.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 12-22-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sore_and_crucified View Post
    You can write a song with inspiration from anywhere- Bowie and his art for example. Don't forget, Trent will have been watching a lot of film and TV footage...new Twin Peaks (isn't he rumoured to be in)?? That's inspirational enough for lyrics like that- doesn't always have to be first person.
    If he was having any issues at home, whatever, let's keep it personal anyway...enjoy the music and not read too much into it perhaps?!
    Quite! Artists by their nature are mercurial, anyway. Believe you me, I know, so it's not hard to dredge up such emotions for the sake of art! All the good vibes to Trent and Q. n_n
    For now let us focus on the sonic ass kicking being doled out to our ears, holy shit!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just tell me one thing, are there loud real-ish sounding drums, or those goddamned beeps and claps again?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm actually very much in love with the EP. The Idea of You is my fav. +Branches/Bones should be longer, that would be such a killer live.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Now that you say, The Drums sounds like staright out of The Fragile. But while the song might "summons" that track, Reptile with No, You Don't's condescending tone is a better comparison imo.
    I was referring to the album, not the song. Sorry about that. But yes, I can see the Reptile and No, You Don't comparison. I think it says a lot that this EP is such... DEFINATIVELY Nine Inch Nails while still being completely a surprise and so absolutely fresh.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Just tell me one thing, are there loud real-ish sounding drums, or those goddamned beeps and claps again?
    lots of drum work here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

real drums.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A lot of column A, a little bit of column B. Lots of heavy-ass drumming and tambourine that will shake the paint off your walls, too!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Do we have the album credits somewhere ? Who's the drummer ?
    There's only the .jpg in the FLAC zip file.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    I only got the JPG in my WAV pack as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I must say I am impressed. the EP is really awesome.
    considering all the kids and happy life (and Trump is not yet in the White House) that could be anything including a christmas album.
    but it sounds HARSH. just like I like my NIN.
    "Dear World," sounds a bit like "Copy of A" spin-off but that's ok.
    THANK YOU, TRENT.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    She's Gone Away makes me think of I'm Looking Forward To Joining You Finally somewhat, and Burning Bright reminds me of The Day The World Went Away and Ripe (With Decay).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pro Tools, Superior Drummer? Over the years Trent will have amassed loads of recorded drum parts on a hard drive ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Amazing stuff... I'm just wondering if re-visiting The Fragile and the old work has helped him bring this anger out. Or it re-touched on some inner feelings from the past.
    @Ryan , I agree, I'm hoping for a PDF with lyrics or somesort but maybe that is what the "Physical Element" is for.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    When you're already at work and finally check your email.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's going to be a long eight hours...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    (Btw nice filenames)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Don't know what I was expecting. Wasn't this. Elements from all over the NIN soundscape. So rad. Lovely, lovely EP. And it has some elements I never thought I would hear from new NIN again.

Love it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anybody know how I can get a copy of this or listen (and yes, legally and payin' ain't a problem, or not)? Spotify and iTunes radio don't flow here in S. Korea.

EDIT: Thanks
    Last edited by artdeco; 12-22-2016 at 06:47 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    Anybody know how I can get a copy of this or listen (and yes, legally and payin' ain't a problem, or not)? Spotify and iTunes radio don't flow here in S. Korea.
    https://store.nin.com

If you don't want to buy the vinyl or the "physical component" then wait till tomorrow when it'll be available on all digital platforms, like iTunes Store and Amazon MP3.