Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107
Results 3,181 to 3,187 of 3187

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    Or the version of The Downward Spiral which sent you into a downward spiral (hmmmmm....) But fair play, that is actually funny. What is your thinking on the title? Or do you think it is basically meaningless? Do you think there is anything shady with it at all?
    I feel like the title might just let the listener know that this is more of a character rather than Reznor himself and the stuff going on in his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I feel like the title might just let the listener know that this is more of a character rather than Reznor himself and the stuff going on in his life.
    Yeah that is more than possible. It isn't half the fun though. Listening wise, I'm definitely getting more mileage out of it due to the possibility there might be more to all of this.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    The collective or individual me didn't say that at all. I don't think that they are not capable of making a new album of good stuff using all new material. My thinking is that, judging from all the hints in the music and artwork, there is a certain recycled aspect to the ep. Maybe not completely recycled, but certainly some elements. Has anybody heard from Dave Grohl on recording for this? Or Dave Navarro for that matter?
    Recycled is not the word I would use for it. It's more reflective than anything else, much like how Hesitation Marks was about reflecting on The Downward Spiral. If anything, Not The Actual Events could be a reflection of a reflection, with the album being a reflection on something that ended in Hesitation Marks. It's hard to say without any more information about it, but that's my feeling on it.

Dave Grohl hasn't commented on it as far as I know, but someone who works with Dave Navarro said that Trent brought him in for a day to work on Burning Bright (Field On Fire).

He said new NIN in 2016, and perhaps he realised that he wasn't going to make that deadline as he does have quite a bit to be doing, and set about this confusing creation which at 5 songs and having a certain recycled element to it, makes good on his promise and keeps everyody guessing.
    And again, that makes it sound like he was lazy or couldn't possibly make something like this in the time he had. Trent specifically said that he and Atticus would work on the EP during week long breaks from the scores they were working on. If they had been working on it here and there for a year, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could have five tracks done and ready to go by the end of the year.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying it's impossible for there to be any recycled material on the album. There very well could be, just like there very well could be recycled material on previous albums (*cough* Ghosts 38 *cough* Demon Seed *cough*). but until someone finds some actual evidence to support this (i.e. not "Trent sounds younger!" or "That sounds like it's from [insert album here]!"), or until Trent and Atticus come forward with information that supports that idea, it's just a fan theory at this point.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Or the version of The Downward Spiral which sent you into a downward spiral (hmmmmm....) But fair play, that is actually funny. What is your thinking on the title? Or do you think it is basically meaningless? Do you think there is anything shady with it at all?
    Its not meaningless. That's not the way he thinks. But it's meaning is in the context of the music not the format. There seems to be a theme of being in denial and/or oblivious to things going on around you so the title can tie in with that. Not as exciting but more realistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Recycled is not the word I would use for it. It's more reflective than anything else, much like how Hesitation Marks was about reflecting on The Downward Spiral. If anything, Not The Actual Events could be a reflection of a reflection, with the album being a reflection on something that ended in Hesitation Marks. It's hard to say without any more information about it, but that's my feeling on it.

Dave Grohl hasn't commented on it as far as I know, but someone who works with Dave Navarro said that Trent brought him in for a day to work on Burning Bright (Field On Fire).

And again, that makes it sound like he was lazy or couldn't possibly make something like this in the time he had. Trent specifically said that he and Atticus would work on the EP during week long breaks from the scores they were working on. If they had been working on it here and there for a year, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could have five tracks done and ready to go by the end of the year.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying it's impossible for there to be any recycled material on the album. There very well could be, just like there very well could be recycled material on previous albums (*cough* Ghosts 38 *cough* Demon Seed *cough*). but until someone finds some actual evidence to support this (i.e. not "Trent sounds younger!" or "That sounds like it's from [insert album here]!"), or until Trent and Atticus come forward with information that supports that idea, it's just a fan theory at this point.
    I did mention earlier that I didn't see or hear said interview, so all of these ideas I'm throwing out there are just unfounded theories. More ideas or feelings I get as I go along. I don't think I have the answer, or that there even is an answer at all, but there are definitely questions. Take the TDS melody at the end of The Idea of You. That sounds like it isn't the original piece sampled, but it's revisited all the same, which for me, creates a little bit of a why and I feel like everything he does has a point to it, like nothing is just randomly there. It could also be just easter eggs here and there and that's as deep as it goes, just a few throwbacks for the long time listeners maybe.

Don't want to seem like I'm trying to go against anybody elses interpretation or anything and have probably contradicted myself several times already, but I'm a stream of consciousness type of chap so I'm entirely open to being completely wrong. And I enjoy the back and forth, so not arguing, just discussing.

Also, it could be genius if there was never any explanation for any of it, if it was just a deliberately confusing concept and simply food for thought to create interest while listening. If there was never an ARG before, I probably wouldn't be thinking so hard about hidden things either.

Something of a Hesitation Marks connection just struck me too. HM was a sort of reaction to/reflection on TDS and this reuses at least 1 part of TDS art again, after having Russell Mills for HM and the physical component is a sort of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a.... something in that perhaps?

Had another thought there. Disregarding the something hidden idea for a moment. From reading the lyrics and his saying it was based on a dream, what if he was dreaming that he was retreading the same old ground over and over with NIN and he doesn't really know if he is feeling it anymore or not? The lyrics could be interpreted as that basic struggle, with a sort of triumphant/defiant finish (Burning Bright). You know, a sort of wrestle between going back over the old sounds and moving forward and progressing. Like when is NIN no longer NIN? How far does he have to progress before it can't/shouldn't be called that anymore? So maybe he is the protagonist in this and the story is the struggle to make that distinction? How to stay true to his original, boundary pushing vision, and not to stagnate or go backwards while keeping it under the umbrella of NIN.

It would also work as a sort of final statement from NIN, like "Here it is, and if I do any more with this, it is going to end up like the physical component, all retreading old ground and stuff" I don't honestly think that is it at all though

This is turning into an awful size of a post, should I move this over to the Random Thoughts?
    Last edited by astfgyl; 03-16-2017 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Still thinking

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have come to a point where i listened to NTAE on spotify far too many times... so now i took a break from NIN for a while. Its a great album, but i need my switch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    I have come to a point where i listened to NTAE on spotify far too many times... so now i took a break from NIN for a while. Its a great album, but i need my switch.
    http://image.prntscr.com/image/a3a1b...25f34dc594.png

i need no switches