Page 73 of 123 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm going to write my interpretations for the serial killer theory in parts and really try to pull out some ideas from in-depth analyses/exploration of the lyrics. Wish me luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks, my first post from this new account, I've been here before. As new versions of the NTAE artwork seem to appear, I checked all versions from the various web sources and found a slight difference in the two "black" versions that appeared on facebook and tumblr. The difference is little but visible, is it all just "A frame at a time"? I took a closer look at the website banners from fb, twitter & youtube and guess what, they are all different in a way. Is there something bigger dilating / evolving and we're only scratching at the surface of it? The idea of sth hidden inside is growing stronger on me, especially after Shadaloo's magnificent decryption of the Lost Highway relevance. Well done.
    What went actually wrong with the artwork (nottheactuaevents.jpg
    Misspelled or typo: No!) that came with the downloads? 12,6MB for only 3000x3000 pixels, resize it to 2999x2999 and it's only 5,42MB! I wouldn't call that a normal behaviour, wtf!?! Just a strange mistake or sth hidden in a harmless looking file? ... "Yes, everyone seems to be asleep. Hey look, you didn't even notice" ... I tried to decrypt the picture with OpenStego but nope, nothing's there. Maybe someone else here knows some other, better software? Can anyone reassemble / resize / overlay all versions of the artwork plus the above mentioned banners to one single picture to the only fixpoint they all have the NTAE/NIN lettering? I would do that by myself, but I don't know how. Does it make sense, anyway? Many questions, little answers and hey, it's biiiiig fun again, thx Mr. T-Rezzo. Have a nice Sunday everybody.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I really don't know but the serial killer thing does not fit for me. Nine inch nails songs and albums are always about a struggle. Whether with love or a specific person (eat your heart out steve), ones sanity or drugs or the government or struggling to come to terms with ones place in the world or ones past. That's at least what I've gotten while listening. I think this album falls firmly into the same overall arc.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a line about systematically killing people? Why serial killers?
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 01-15-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I was having a look around at the page source information on the official site, and discovered another cover variant for NTAE.

Jesus Christ, this all has to mean something.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    None of these are the actual covers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marchissimo View Post
    12,6MB for only 3000x3000 pixels, resize it to 2999x2999 and it's only 5,42MB! I wouldn't call that a normal behaviour, wtf!?! Just a strange mistake or sth hidden in a harmless looking file?
    Has anyone tried changing this file extension to some other format? .zip .mp3 or other? There has to be something inside that bulk of bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by high def ultra-realism View Post
    Has anyone tried changing this file extension to some other format? .zip .mp3 or other? There has to be something inside that bulk of bits
    I assume you heard about the % jpg quality option ? because neither of you mentionned it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFLRICK View Post
    Question, folks! Is it worthwhile contacting customer service regarding a corrected FLAC download? I have the original version, untagged, no art, and so on. Any advice?
    We already answered to that strange quetsion : yes.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I see you are doing your best to bait @Shadaloo to solve this one as well.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    just watching the taped documentary 'david bowie: the last five years'.
    when i see the creation and the proces of his album 'the next day' i see similarities with trent's ntae concept. 'looking back in the past, using older album cover(s) etc'. that's what came up....
    also, as we know trent likes to copy other artists thoughts....
    just a thought

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    We already answered to that strange quetsion : yes.
    This was remarkably unhelpful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "Branches / Bones"

We're quickly introduced to our protagonist, just an average every-day drone who works in a boring, meaningless job. We don't exactly know his background, but we're given the root/skeleton (branches/bones) of his situation at this point in his life. He could have done bad things in the past, crimes, or even killing, we don't know.

"Parts of me are slowing down, time is speeding up": He's starting to think deeper about everything in his life and the world, but the world is becoming more transparent and materialistic at a faster rate. "Spiders crawling everywhere", spiders symbolizing creeping, developing problems in the world that people should be worried about, but the "infected Japanese", people who have been infected by the new culture/way of things, have already submitted to the new ways.

The tourist lyric refers to how people pretend to be understanding/caring of other people, but they're only faking that for their own gain. They have things "planned until you try to leave" and "you can't understand" what they're really trying to do with you, adding to the sense of transparency in deception.

The first chorus means he's still trying a little to fit in with this world, but it's getting harder. "Cold and black and infinite, with nothing left to lose": him describing his life/soul at this venture in time. He's becoming more numb and less cooperative with his situation and the people around him.

"If you try to keep the flies away, the makeup hides the bruise": He can easily put on a facade for people, even though it's completely false. As long as not that many "flies" (problems or people) come his way, the "makeup" (his fake personality/persona) can hide the "bruise" (his killing desire).

Now we're going to put him in a more specific situation, for my version of this theory, I'm going to put him in an office-place. He has a woman he loves at his place of work that provides most of his comfort and love in his life. Unfortunately, people like this woman are very rare and usually don't stay that way for long: "Her branches are the bones that break": "Her" also can symbolize all of the small fragments of love that are still in him, but are breaking. Her/she will be more important later in the story. "He" can refer to his boss at the office, or the bad people in power in this world. "He won't just be a man who sometimes": these men in power will always be evil and make the world a worse place, driving and motivating him to do what our protagonist does later. The second chorus is the moment when realizes what he has to do to get what he desires: he has to kill. The last chorus is a foreshadowing of his state of mind to go into killer-mode:"Don't give a f#ck anymore" Tell me how you liked/disliked my analysis!
    Last edited by Tommy_Macbeth; 01-15-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    On my ipod when played in alphabetical order branches/bones into burn into burning bright flows perfectly. No silence.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Holy shit @Tommy_Macbeth , we're wall-of-text friendly, but is there a way to have that feast in smaller servings ie paragraphs?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    On my ipod when played in alphabetical order branches/bones into burn into burning bright flows perfectly. No silence.
    This is true of any song that opens immediately. Follow it with YKWYA and you'll see what I mean.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    This is true of any song that opens immediately. Follow it with YKWYA and you'll see what I mean.
    Well I know that. The combinations are endless. But these 3 really worked unusually well. Nin is known for the these hard cuts though I guess.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The more I listen to this the more I enjoy it. It has everything I wanted... Guitars, some noise, spooky atmoshperics, some classic Reznor barks, a blood curdling scream. I hope whatever NIN comes out later this year explores these further.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I feel like She's Gone Away is what Marilyn Manson was trying to do with Wow....but didn't.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I feel like She's Gone Away is what Marilyn Manson was trying to do with Wow....but didn't.
    WOW felt like Manson trying to out-Closer Closer and failing.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Anyone getting mildly annoyed with the lack of info about the physical component yet?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Getting airplay on Sirius

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I assume you heard about the % jpg quality option ? because neither of you mentionned it.
    Thank you, ninjaw. Yes, I resized the cover art again with a different program that preserved the quality of the original file.
    It changed only insignificantly. Well, there is nothing hidden inside. It's simply a high quality jpg file.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Can someone post the full resolution version of the new still version of the artwork? I have every other version in high quality, all I need is that one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Can someone post the full resolution version of the new still version of the artwork? I have every other version in high quality, all I need is that one.
    Can we actually post all of the HQ cover artwork? Please.

On a personal note,
    I feel it's kind of a shame more artists don't just have their cover art in highest quality easily available for download on their site. Just something to help preserve their artwork in the best possible quality. Even some digital music stores don't even give you a separate art file or give you it in a small size. Shame, cover artwork should be preserved in the digital world.
    Last edited by neorev; 01-15-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Anyone getting mildly annoyed with the lack of info about the physical component yet?
    Pretty sure those spoilers we read earlier on in the thread will be what it is.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Pretty sure those spoilers we read earlier on in the thread will be what it is.
    I was thinking the same, but if so, why wouldn't they just ship them a few weeks ago? I hoping for something else but not really expecting anything else.

I'm still hoping it just a physical cd to complete my collection.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Could the last verse on The Idea Of You (3:00 'till the end) be an outtake from With Teeth? Trent's voice sounds like it could be from that era.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    This except Trent wasn't doing that thing where he pretends that his vocal chords are special on every single chorus of every track on the album.
    Last edited by clarktrent; 01-15-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Has anyone noticed that your DL of the EP says "-2017" at the end of it now? Does that mean it's a different file than what was original released in the end of 2016? Might have some slight changes for those curious.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Has anyone noticed that your DL of the EP says "-2017" at the end of it now? Does that mean it's a different file than what was original released in the end of 2016? Might have some slight changes for those curious.
    I think there's been some minor changes to zipfile content (and FLAC tagging) of NTAE since the original download links went out, but the "-2017" in the filename was always there depending on the source of the download. There were originally two different filenames depending on if you were downloading from a purchase of the "physical component" version, or the vinyl - one of them had "2017" in the filename, the other didn't. The zipfiles themselves were identical, though.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    ye,me,here, but I said the opposite, I had 2017 and I dont anymore.