Page 113 of 123 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hi. It's not working on my end.
    Tried 3 different browsers with cleaned cache.
    This is what I get:

I will agree with you about the CD but will disagree the need for BluRay for music.
    Mainly because the Red Book standard audio is beyond enough for human ears, according to Shanon/Nyquist theorem.
    Blu-Ray is a dying format that is being taking down to the grave.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You love bold.

NIN ran their own tracker for The Slip when that came out. He knows that anyone who wants digital-only will acquire it unofficially, even burning their own CD if they want playback from that format. He's cutting those losses.

Personally I'd rather have a BD alongside the vinyl over a CD, as they can add extra content (videos, surround sound, dynamic/web components [ARG opportunities!], etc). This gives them a reason to exist, unlike a CD which is easy/inexpensive enough for most people to burn themselves with the files. Imagine a BD or two with the whole remastered catalog on it and extra features (FUCK that makes me moist).

But I agree about the NTAE/AV CD releases still being unconfirmed - just send out a simple tweet! Amazon is fucking with everyone.

Maybe the website issue is because he's moving away from Sandbag.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    I will agree with you about the CD but will disagree the need for BluRay for music.
    Mainly because the Red Book standard audio is beyond enough for human ears, according to Shanon/Nyquist theorem.
    Blu-Ray is a dying format that is being taking down to the grave.

Tell me how redbook lets you get 12.1 surround, true lossless playback, an album like The Fragile onto one disc...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    If the fear is that things get digitized...
    Suggesting that TR isn't offering a CD version because he fears piracy is absurd.

Please offer your music in all formats.
    I do agree that format variability is a good thing. Personally I find the lack of digital-only tiers @ nin.com to be far, far weirder that not putting out a CD release. There are audiophiles out there who don't have turntables but would appreciate FLAC! Still, apart from the definitive editions and Deviations, all the new music is readily available from all the major digital music storefronts. It is not difficult to buy NIN stuff in a format your systems can play.

Now to the issues
    You should feel fortunate that not knowing when/if CD release dates for music that's been widely available for months is apparently such a huge deal to you. Sure, I'd like some clarification too 'cause I've got a bit of the obsessive collector in me, but sheesh. We'll get the CDs or we won't.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ok, let me address some things.

You love bold.
    Ahhh... thought you were scolding me in a charmy way. Lacking a comma. That meant I love to put writing in bold. Ok.

He's cutting those losses.
    This is debatable. People are consuming music differently. I for one, still like to buy CDs. More guys like me as well. We don't want to be forgotten.

I'd rather have a BD alongside the vinyl over a CD
    A Blu-Ray disc is way more expensive to manufacture. Yes, it can't be easily replicated. Data is also huge and there is a variety of things you can do with it. But concerning 2.0 audio, you can dismiss this media. Furthermore, Blu-Ray players are vanishing from the market in the world. The format is dying. But I do agree that for movies, that is the standard now. They won't ever put an entire catalog within 2 Blu-Ray discs... never.

FUCK that makes me moist
    I really liked that girl from the "The Girl with Dragon Tattoo". Rooney Mara is gorgeous. My type of girl.

Maybe the website issue is because he's moving away from Sandbag.
    Official or rumour? I can only think this may be true...

Tell me how redbook lets you get 12.1 surround, true lossless playback, an album like The Fragile onto one disc...
    Music in 5.1 is dead. What will 12.1 is ever going to achieve? Oh they tried.
    True Lossless playback? RedBook is already Lossless. Unless you are a bat, you can't ABX TrueHD/TrueDTS or TrueWhatever format against RedBook.
    I don't mind 2 discs for The Fragile. But if that was an issue, there's cheapo DVD that will do the job with Linear PCM, simple as that.

Suggesting that TR isn't offering a CD version because he fears piracy is absurd.
    I'm not saying he fears piracy, and I read an article in which he shouted on a gig "keep on stealing..." LOL
    But I think that was a matter he was angry about the label misfortunes they were doing.
    I just don't understand WHY NOT offer the CD version. I've been through the vinyl era. I'm not cool with that vinyl statement.
    But I'm for the thought that if you want to monetize your business, you offer your music in the standard formats, as usual.
    Also, the High-Definition downloads are just waste of storage. There's no evidence a human can ABX anything beyond 16-bit/44.100 Hz against 24-bt/96.000 Hz. This is an ongoing trend I wish it was put down. Red book specs are enough.

I do agree that format variability is a good thing. Personally I find the lack of digital-only tiers @ nin.com to be far, far weirder that not putting out a CD release. There are audiophiles out there who don't have turntables but would appreciate FLAC! Still, apart from the definitive editions and Deviations, all the new music is readily available from all the major digital music storefronts. It is not difficult to buy NIN stuff in a format your systems can play.
    Well, iTunes is offering lossy AAC (don't want it). HD-Tracks or QBuz: I will tell you that I never trust these sources as coming from lossless. So I pass it over. I have purchased "HD audio" that was just a 200 kbps MP3 converted to RedBook specs. So, trust me on this. Don't trust it. The NIN files however are trustworthy, even being the exaggerated Hi-Def.
    FLAC is just a format they could release the digital downloads as standard 16/44.1K audio no problem.
    In the rest, I will agree that I am not sure what's going on with the non-CD offer.

You should feel fortunate that not knowing when/if CD release dates for music that's been widely available for months is apparently such a huge deal to you. Sure, I'd like some clarification too 'cause I've got a bit of the obsessive collector in me, but sheesh. We'll get the CDs or we won't.
    Great deal for me, I'm a collector. Not that completist. But definitely a small collector.
    You'd like some clarification too, it's good, we're expecting this because of the collector inside...
    And of course, nothing can stop me now...

Cheers to all of you!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I think Trent is too busy listening to his old friends at Apple, thinking people dont buy CDs anymore..Maybe Justin Beiber or Taylor Swift fans dont buy CDs anymore but knowing how obsessive NIN fans are and how much they are into collecting, its downright idiotic to not put these EPs on CD...It makes zero sense...Its not like hes some struggling indie band or some washed up bad that hasnt sold that many records in the past decade that is cutting losses...It literally is one of the most bizarre things he has ever done, to not release these EPs on CD....so fuck it, i would have gladly paid money for the CDs..instead I will just download them for free off a torrent site and burn em to CD

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Maybe the guy doesn't like CDs and doesn't have to spend his own money to release his own music on an arbitrary format that he doesn't care for entirely to satisfy a specific group of obsessives that are never happy about almost anything he does anyways

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    He's always focussed on the wider music market, not the die hards. Whether he could turn a profit on a CD release for die hards is debatable, but I think he's actually just not a fan of them aesthetically. It's not just a matter of throwing the data onto a disc and done; there's artwork and manufacturing considerations. Perhaps he simply can't be arsed to work through those issues on a format he has come to detest.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think Trent is too busy listening to his old friends at Apple, thinking people dont buy CDs anymore..Maybe Justin Beiber or Taylor Swift fans dont buy CDs anymore but knowing how obsessive NIN fans are and how much they are into collecting, its downright idiotic to not put these EPs on CD...It makes zero sense...Its not like hes some struggling indie band or some washed up bad that hasnt sold that many records in the past decade that is cutting losses...It literally is one of the most bizarre things he has ever done, to not release these EPs on CD....so fuck it, i would have gladly paid money for the CDs..instead I will just download them for free off a torrent site and burn em to CD
    You got a point here and I'm with you in this. Because Add Violence is presented only with items as a bundle going from 30 GBP and 50 GBP (which, don't mind me saying, it's pretty fucking expensive for 5 tracks of music, furthermore I don't live in Europe or US, so things delay to arrive here, and they delay as long as a month to 90 days in some cases, he must understand this), I also did the same thing, got the files from a tracker. But I am very eager to delete them WHEN I HAVE THE CD IN MY HANDS. So he must understand this.

Maybe the guy doesn't like CDs and doesn't have to spend his own money to release his own music on an arbitrary format that he doesn't care for entirely to satisfy a specific group of obsessives that are never happy about almost anything he does anyways
    I'm sorry. Obsessives? I don't think this is his position. We have purchased tons of CDs in favour of this band and we deserve a little thank you (if this was the position, which I think it is not).

He's always focussed on the wider music market, not the die hards. Whether he could turn a profit on a CD release for die hards is debatable, but I think he's actually just not a fan of them aesthetically. It's not just a matter of throwing the data onto a disc and done; there's artwork and manufacturing considerations. Perhaps he simply can't be arsed to work through those issues on a format he has come to detest.
    Yes, not a fan of CDs aesthetically I can agree with this since CDs manufactured today are very very chepo quality. The last CD I bought was MGxMG and the thing came practically within a recycled card sleeve. It seriously looks as if it is a raw thick card board sleeve. The printing is minimal. It comes with a clothing protection for the CD and the ugliest thing is that the track list names on the back have NO PRINTING WHATSOEVER, being just saliences pressed to the cardboard. The media is fine though. But compare that with a vinyl, hands down vinyl.

Some Depeche Mode singles are so shameful these days, they're just a card sleeve with CD inside. Poor artwork. The past album will have nothing more than 01 single physically released.

Oh well, I think I will starve and dream about getting an Audio Techinica for me. :-(
    Last edited by Quantum550; 09-08-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    or maybe he will release all three eps on CD as one full cohesive album when they are all out.
    has anyone figured out why the final three songs on the TDS are in reverse on side B of NTAE vinyl yet? This seems more bizarre to me than the ep's not being in the cd format.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Now, on to the "reverse" tracks on SIDE B of NTAE.
    I still did not understand... Are the tracks reversed as in "ORDER" (14, 13, 12) - or - you have to spin the record backwards to listen to it?
    (If the last affirmative it is true Doesn't it spin the record backwards is a bit awkward and against the proper use of the turntable equipment?
    The audio is played backwards. You can listen to it here:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Folk who said the 3 EPs compiled on an album, well, I can't see that happening because none of their songs relate as an album. Unless there is a magic connecting these songs I'm not aware of it yet.
    Snippet from nin.com's post when AV was announced:
    THE NARRATIVE ARC LINKING THE THREE RECORDS BEGINS TO EMERGE THROUGH THE DISASSOCIATED LYRICS AND THE PROVOCATIVE AND CLUE-FILLED COVER ARTWORK AND ACCOMPANYING PHYSICAL COMPONENT

Edit: DW and TL also share the everyone's asleep line.
    Last edited by blassster; 09-08-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    , every big artist still puts their music out on CD..everyone but one...
    I agree, it is weird that global superstar Kanye West's platinum-certified The life of Pablo had no CD release

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    For one thing I will tell you that West would starve if he depended on me to make money.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    For one thing I will tell you that West would starve if he depended on me to make money.
    I was simply makig a larger point which is that tbis entire argument of "No one else who is a major artist releases things without CDs" is totally made up. It has utterly nothing to do with anybody's quality of work. A largescale household name has done the same thing but even more extremely with zero physical tie-ins at all and was completely successful while doing so. It really doesn't matter beyond the desire to have a plastic case to sit on a shelf and stick in a car somewhere.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The audio is played backwards. You can listen to it here:

Wow, this is what I call a stupid idea.
    Tracks 1-3 on A and 4-5 on B would fit just fine the record on both sides.
    The product was announced as single sided, another controversy.

But it was funny to notice that Trent Reznor seems to be singing in German, with that backwards English.
    A language ARG connection...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No offense to the NIN management but it would be good if they at least WOULD ADDRESS these issues to us.
    First off, I suggest taking down that SILLY vinyl statement off the NIN official website.
    If the fear is that things get digitized, it's not a vinyl only sale that will prevent this since you can have your LP digitize within 1 hour with, say, any decent turntable.
    If the fear is that CDs will get ripped by software, this will not either prevent from content getting uploaded to whatever torrent tracker.
    Also, when a digital download is offered, is even more dumb to assume that people won't put up on torrent trackers. This option is even easier and the person don't even need to rip the CD. And I've spotted 2 or 4 trackers with NIN direct downloads being seeded ad infinitum.

Whatever reason is really behind this, does not stand up just for the sake of 1980/1990 music listening practices.
    This doesn't make any sense.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    this month huh? check amazon. AV went from Sept 1 to Sept 22 to now October 13th....but if you say it will be out next week, I guess amazon is wrong.....Wanna make a deal? If AV comes out next week, I take a lifetime ban,. If it doesnt come out on Cd next week, you gladly take a lifetime ban? Deal?
    I think a sweeter deal is if AV comes out next week, you get a lifetime ban. If it doesn't come out next week or ever, you get a lifetime ban.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    20% of NTAE was released on CD yesterday, for anyone interested..

https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Mu...aks+soundtrack

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Pre ordered this a while back, it comes up as import because I'm from the uk. Now when I go into my order it just says "not yet shipped. Delivery estimate : we need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate"
    Anyway i bought it as a Christmas present for my sister along with the Add Violence CD so there's still plenty of time

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You are. And putting quotation marks around something you didn't actually quote is poor form.

Here is a real quote (emphasis mine):

"DEAR NIN.COM VINYL CUSTOMER, (...)
    WE ARE TAKING ALL MEASURES AVAILABLE TO MAKE SURE ANY PREORDERS FROM NIN.COM ARRIVE IN YOUR HANDS BEFORE THEY ARE AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE. I KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING IT IS WHEN THIS ISN’T THE CASE (LIKE WHAT JUST HAPPENED WITH BEFORE THE FLOOD). I ASSUMED WE ALREADY HAD THIS PRACTICE IN PLACE, I WAS INCORRECT."

Well, dear NIN vinyl customer...
    Since the music is only on vinyl, what other kind of customer is there? Not relevant.
    And yes, I actually pre-ordered NTAE on vinyl (cancelled upon this email though).

The second part is the same as saying they will have it first than other retailers.
    If the thing arrives first to your hands before it is available anywhere else, then obviously this shop is the best in the whole world...
    Or it is just my manner to interpret this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, dear NIN vinyl customer...
    Since the music is only on vinyl, what other kind of customer is there? Not relevant.
    And yes, I actually pre-ordered NTAE on vinyl (cancelled upon this email though).

The second part is the same as saying they will have it first than other retailers.
    If the thing arrives first to your hands before it is available anywhere else, then obviously this shop is the best in the whole world...
    Or it is just my manner to interpret this.
    No. It literally says they would try to fulfill existing preorders before they are available anywhere else. That's it. If you interpret that as anything beyond an assurance that they were trying to make right with existing customers, you're wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dear World is a pretty good song.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events

So now we know She's Gone Away was written specifically for Twin Peaks; I wonder which one of the softer/more ballad-oriented tracks (possibly from Add Violence?) was a song that was rejected — The Lovers or This Isn't The Place? (Even The Background World would sort of fit with the show.) Or one that hasn't been released yet.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 09-17-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm all for the Physical Components, I think its a new interesting way to deliver music to consumers. I mean it wont replace records and cds for me, bit I felt much less apprehensive throwing down money for them than strait up digital files.

I am also eagerly awaiting EP3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    So now we know She's Gone Away was written specifically for Twin Peaks; I wonder which one of the softer/more ballad-oriented tracks (possibly from Add Violence?) was a song that was rejected — The Lovers or This Isn't The Place? (Even The Background World would sort of fit with the show.) Or one that hasn't been released yet.
    This is especially interesting because the majority of songs picked for the soundtrack were recorded well before 2015, with the exception of a few -> notably the Veils song, the Eddie Vedder song, and the NIN song

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    As an avid NIN as well as Twin Peaks fan, I would love to know this. I don't NEED to know, I WANT

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    hey guys i really like the music in this ep

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I want my NTAE Mini Disc DAMMIT!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, so I'm just turning my efforts to making my own CD. I've got my template for a simple card sleeve, and good scans of the vinyl sleeve I'm cleaning up in Photoshop. Gonna print it at work.

As one of the people who derailed this thread, I want to say, firstly, sorry!

Secondly, Not the Actual Events is quite incredible. An album-strength statement in just 5 songs. The vinyl pressing is quite possibly the best sounding record I own, and Trent's intentions have been realized—I do love holding the sleeve and the lyric sheet, just being with the work while I listen. Good shit.