Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 3600

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I don't remember, did y'all complain this much when Capital G didn't come on CD? Or BYIT?
    Not quite the same since CD was still mostly relevant at the time. A better question is did people get this mad when With Teeth was not released on cassette?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    ...With Teeth was not released on cassette?
    Sure about that?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Sure about that?
    Well I looked it up and it looks like it was released on cassette in Indonesia and Malaysia and a promotional cassette in Japan.

I think my point still stands

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't remember, did y'all complain this much when Capital G didn't come on CD? Or BYIT?
    For some of us, Capital G did come out on CD; just not in stores. Not that it got much play though; the Phones remixes are terrible.

Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    For some of us, Capital G did come out on CD; just not in stores. Not that it got much play though; the Phones remixes are terrible.
    I mean sure but then we can argue An Omen did, and that BYIT did get a CD release

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

I think my point still stands
    Yeah, i agree your point stands. I too think the "CD is dead* - no it's not" should be discussed separately from the music.

I'd like to ask what people think "Not the actual events" mostly refers to?
    Is it literally something Trent doesn't want but is haunting him? Like some people interpreted one song as reflection of fear of losing his dear ones, but as it turned out it was for movie.
    Or maybe it's him saying that his characters were not real and this is the only real guy singing?
    Or his past relationships and friendships that didn't last?
    Or his talents misused or his messages misinterpreted?

In my language, word "actual" is generally used as "current, relevant" i.e. actual topic = topic people are interested in now.
    That way i could say that Trent warns us that these events are real but he doesn't give a rat's ass and doesn't want us to.

And still unclear why they reused Still cover, which adds to vagueness. Maybe the answer is there's no answer...

* Ultimately i think it's a question of price - i probably won't buy it if it's price above like $7. But many sellers would slap a bigger pricetag on it, like 13.99 special offer! They will want to sell is for as much as vinyl version, i now see a connection with Capital G. It's Greed talking and making decisions.
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; Yesterday at 05:03 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Not the same at all, Capital G isn't an halo or single, BYIT is a video ... on a far better disc and quality than cd, not the samethat a crappy old awful format, completely not relevant for nin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    perhaps the delay in the NTAE CD is not being able to marry elements of the "physical component" with the cd packaging in a way that works financially and preserve the CD's ability to play (not being dirty)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    perhaps the delay in the NTAE CD is not being able to marry elements of the "physical component" with the cd packaging in a way that works financially and preserve the CD's ability to play (not being dirty)
    This is easy. Just print the lyric sheets as art cards or put them in a booklet. If the dust is required, attach it separately in a sealed plastic bag. But we still have no fricking clue what the point of that dust is. Ephemerality? Imo, the music speaks for itself without having to deal with that palaver, anyway.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    BYIT is a video ... on a far better disc and quality than cd, not the samethat a crappy old awful format, completely not relevant for nin.
    For stereo listeners, BYIT is lossy, which is worse than CD... or a downmix from 5.1, which isn't ideal either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    This is easy. Just print the lyric sheets as art cards or put them in a booklet. If the dust is required, attach it separately in a sealed plastic bag..
    Ah, but the powder is meant to smear and get all over the product- you imprint on the sleeve or cards. Sealing it all in a separate baggie defeats the purpose.

And from my experience in publishing, even dumb shit like stickers and baggies can break the price point of a product. Manufacturers charge for extra step of manual labor.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    For stereo listeners, BYIT is lossy, which is worse than CD... or a downmix from 5.1, which isn't ideal either.
    What ? on BD ? I have to check that

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    There was no black dust on the vinyl so that's not the reason

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    What ? on BD ? I have to check that
    Yes, you should, especially before assuming newer format = better sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There was no black dust on the vinyl so that's not the reason
    Oh, really? I didnt get the vinyl myself, but i assumed it had powder because all the photos I saw of the vinyl release it appeared to have been shipped in a plastic bag instead of being shrink wrapped. Weird

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Oh, really? I didnt get the vinyl myself, but i assumed it had powder because all the photos I saw of the vinyl release it appeared to have been shipped in a plastic bag instead of being shrink wrapped. Weird
    Theres smudges on the sleeve, and there was debate over that but I'm pretty sure it's just printed on it. Also, the AV CD had no manual with it so I don't think they're trying to replicate anything but make each unique.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Theres smudges on the sleeve, and there was debate over that but I'm pretty sure it's just printed on it. Also, the AV CD had no manual with it so I don't think they're trying to replicate anything but make each unique.
    it is absolutely not printed on there because each sleeve is unique (i have two copies and the smudging/fingerprints are completely different between the two).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it is absolutely not printed on there because each sleeve is unique (i have two copies and the smudging/fingerprints are completely different between the two).
    A sample size of two doesn't mean they're all unique. See: stickers in AV PC, Slip CD stickers, NtAE PC having a few different inserts etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I rubbed one of the smudges on mine and it smeared, so I highly doubt it was printed on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I mean sure but then we can argue An Omen did, and that BYIT did get a CD release
    True enough. Basically it depends on if we're counting promo releases at all. if we're not, carry on. I'll see myself out. :-D

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Both copies of NTAE that I got have light amounts of the dust on it, I know because it got on my fingers while taking the record out and some smudged onto the bag the record is housed in.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yes, you should, especially before assuming newer format = better sound.
    Assuming ? didn't you heard about BD already ? You told it yourself it was far better...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That thread was divided from this thread because the exact same thing happened back then. Read through and you'll know what I mean.
    Yes, there was some point it got stuck in CD technical specifications. But now we're talking about a CD release for NTAE. Totally different. Doesn't deem another split.

BYIT did get a CD release
    It didn't. https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Na...me/master/4416

on a far better disc and quality than cd, not the samethat a crappy old awful format, completely not relevant for nin.
    This is ridiculous. Far better disc for video, you mean. Blu-Ray is a video-oriented disc. I see no point for 5.1 music.
    The Blu-Ray or HD-DVD US version comes with Dolby Digital Stereo and Multichannel (both lossy) and Dolby TrueHD (lossless).
    The DVD version comes with Dolby Digital Stereo and Multichannel and DTS.
    I've seen Blu-Ray with LPCM 2.0 but once you are in lossless camp, it's lossless. CD is lossless.
    This is the line where it could deem a topic split again.

Not something that the usual listener will ABX from CD. Dolby is quite high bitrate, DTS too.

And still unclear why they reused Still cover, which adds to vagueness. Maybe the answer is there's no answer...
    Well, in the digital files, there is this cover. But I think the official one is the white one in vinyl, the one you can smudge it and make it unique.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    ^ Hypothetical since there's no lossless source circulating to ABX from the lossy stereo track. Paging Dave Ogilvie...
    Assuming ? didn't you heard about BD already ? You told it yourself it was far better...
    In terms of capacity, not necessarily content. They didn't include a lossless stereo track on any format of BYIT and unless there is a vinyl release someday with a lossless download included, we're probably never going to get one.
    Last edited by botley; Yesterday at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^ Hypothetical since there's no lossless source circulating to ABX from the lossy stereo track. Paging Dave Ogilvie...

In terms of capacity, not necessarily content. They didn't include a lossless stereo track on any format of BYIT and unless there is a vinyl release someday with a lossless download included, we're probably never going to get one.
    strikethrough: --This is incorrect.--
    BYIT has a lossless multichannel audio (Dolby TrueHD) on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.
    Does this Dolby TrueHD is only in multichannel form?
    Last edited by Quantum550; Yesterday at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Yes, only the 5.1 mix is lossless on those discs.

That's a different mix from the Ogilvie stereo mix (it was mixed in 5.1 by Elliot Scheiner) with a different approach. I asked Rob Sheridan once why they included only a lossless 5.1 track and not stereo, and he said they thought audiophiles/HiFi home theatre geeks would be paying more attention to the surround, and not so much the stereo.

Anyway, back to NTAE.
    Last edited by botley; Yesterday at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    A sample size of two doesn't mean they're all unique. See: stickers in AV PC, Slip CD stickers, NtAE PC having a few different inserts etc.
    printing the artwork for a record can actually be more expensive than pressing the records themselves most of the time. there is no way they printed multiple iterations of outer sleeves. they already sprung for the two different inner sleeves (the red & the blue), which i'm sure bumped up the cost of production a bit.

the dust/fingerprinting on the sleeves is manual and unique to each record, they just didn't use anywhere near as much dust as they did with the physical components. (and i have a sample size of more than two, since i also bought a copy for a friend, and i saw @kleiner352 's signed copy when we went to reckless together for the Q&A, not to mention a bunch of other people's signed copies when i was there)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    someone ring up teitan and ask him to get to the bottom of this

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    This is ridiculous. Far better disc for video, you mean. Blu-Ray is a video-oriented disc. I see no point for 5.1 music.
    The Blu-Ray or HD-DVD US version comes with Dolby Digital Stereo and Multichannel (both lossy) and Dolby TrueHD (lossless).
    The DVD version comes with Dolby Digital Stereo and Multichannel and DTS.
    I've seen Blu-Ray with LPCM 2.0 but once you are in lossless camp, it's lossless. CD is lossless.
    This is the line where it could deem a topic split again.
    I've seen artists release albums on Blu-ray and honestly believe that's the direction the disc format should go in. It doesn't have to be 5.1, there's releases with stereo on Blu-ray. You get superior audio quality since it can hold 24 bit. Underworld remastered and reissued their album Dubnobasswithmyheadman on Blu-ray as well as Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero. The Blu-ray format has many cool options you don't get with the standard redbook CD. 24 bit audio, the ability to include stereo and surround sound, and the ability to include visuals/art. Plus Blu-ray players are usually hooked up the interweb, so the ability to connect people across the world.

Imagine if the next NIN EP's in a Blu-ray with secret files and folders to explore that expands the world Trent is building around Year Zero and his discography. Having the ability to listen to the EP in 24 bit and including visuals to go along with the experience. Imagine Add Violence manual being turned into a Blu-ray and having the codes lyrics being something on screen with the music. Having the ability to control the machine on the cover and change settings and see what it may unlock. What if your disc gives you special access to an online ARG that also connects you with other fans trying to figure out its secrets.

Utilizing the Blu-ray for a full on immersive experience of audio, and visual and bridging the physical and virtual world is something I've been working on for my own music project. Such amazing potential there is with this format that is being ignored and wasted. Artists need to start thinking outside the box to bring a new, unique, and engaging experience. The physical components are a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by neorev; Today at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    I didn't mean anything like that, the only thing ridiculous is this sentence. After dvd audio they choose to sell bluray audio, we actually have a trent reznor music on bluray audio.